• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LinktothePastGOAT

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix...an-chase-giving-raises-adding-4-000-jobs.html

Chase said it will raise workers' pay from between $12 and $16.50 per hour to $15 and $18 per hour.

In Arizona, more than 1,000 Chase employees will see their pay bumped up to $15 per hour, according to a JPMorgan spokesperson.

In more expensive markets such as New York, New Jersey and San Francisco will see base pay increase to $18 per hour.

Workers in Chicago and Detroit will get raises to $16.50, the bank announced.

The raises will benefit 22,000 Chase employees working at branches and customer service employees.

They will also be getting a $750 bonus and Chase is cutting health insurance costs $750 per year for employees making less than $60,000.

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Good for them and their workers.

I hope the next recession holds off a few years so that worker shortages can help us make ACTUAL progress on wages nationwide.

Barzul

Oct 25, 2017
Good for them as long as there's no bait and switch a year from now when everyone has moved on. Particularly re the health insurance prices.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I wonder what this forum would look like if we started a thread for every company that will not be doing this.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
I remember feeling good about the Walmart thing until we saw the underbelly of their other actions.

Hoping this is something that won't come with any strings attached, and if so, good for them.

Last edited:

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Does this create jobs and growth?

Or just raises and bonuses for existing employees?

-I'm not knocking the latter, but the tax cut was supposed to be an economic boom. Without meaningful expansion attached to it, this type of distribution will promote inflation.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah ok, now lets see how many layoffs happen at Chase coincidentally around the same time.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
They ended their agreement for my amazon.ca CC. Kind pissed since i have to change my billing from several vendors

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting to see how this plays out considering most banks are drawing down on branches and the remaining branches are shifting to smart ATMs.

Oct 27, 2017

-I'm not knocking the latter, but the tax cut was supposed to be an economic boom. Without meaningful expansion attached to it, this type of distribution will promote inflation.

When people take home more money they spend more and that helps the economy. I don't quite understand your implication that the latter wouldn't contribute to an economic boom

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017

TBH at %4.1 unemployment there isn't that much "growth" that can happen. Most economists consider that to be nearly full employment.

At this level fewer new jobs at higher pay is exactly what should be happening.

Oct 27, 2017
Free PR.

Meanwhile, 0% interest rate and high minimum balances for its customers. They get nothing.

Who still uses this garbage bank?

Chase cards are pretty legit. And the vast majority of large banks have garbage interests rates. If you care about that for your savings account, either go with an online bank or a credit union

Keyboard

What do credit cards have to do with retail banking? You even admitted to using alternatives like credit unions and online banks for savings.

Last edited by a moderator:

Keyboard

You don't need to use the bank for credit cards, so space is wasted.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded
TBH at %4.1 unemployment there isn't that much "growth" that can happen. Most economists consider that to be nearly full employment.

At this level fewer new jobs at higher pay is exactly what should be happening.

Thats a bullshit number.

people are only recorded as unemployed if they have actively looked for a job in the past 4 weeks. If its been 4 weeks and 1 day or more since you filled out an app, you fall off that percentage. For people who are so frusterated that they have given up, they arent recorded in the statistic.

The actual number is much higher, and considerably higher than even that for minorities. Then you can consider the underemployed, or people who are working part time jobs but cant find full time employment, which is 10% of the labor force (16% for the black population).

The unemployment rate for people who havent worked in a year or more was at 22% as of 2014.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I mean that's great for the employees, but I find it hard to believe that taxes were preventing these huge companies from doing any of this stuff before the tax cut. That they wanted to increase pay but just couldn't afford to...but now they can! How much money are they saving again?

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Thats a bullshit number.

people are only recorded as unemployed if they have actively looked for a job in the past 4 weeks. For people who are so frusturated that they have given up, they arent recorded in the statistic.

The actual number is much higher, and considerably higher than even that for minorities. Then you can consider the underemployed, or people who are working part time jobs but cant find full time employment, which is 10% of the labor force (16% for the black population).

The unemployment rate for people who havent worked in a year or more was at 22% as of 2014.
You can spin ANY time in US history and claim that the economy was shit for one reason for another. Hell, you are using the same arguments that the alt-right used to downplay economic improvement under Obama.

The economy is very solid right now... I am sorry if that doesn't fit the narrative you WISH was true in your head.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
They'll be adding 4k jobs, but how many people will they be letting go? 4k new jobs doesn't necessarily mean 4k more employed (see Walmart and Sams Club for another example).

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to figure out why they need more people. Between having too many branches and shutting down some that are underperforming or eating into one another's loan business (a big thing with Chase) and installing high tech ATMs that basically make tellers unnecessary.

..Why?

They don't even pay newer salaried employees much in comparison to the seasoned vets. So they're saving money there too. My mother's a Branch Manager, been with the company 30 years and she says anyone that comes in now makes a third of what she does. Especially after the merger a while back.

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017
Corporate America is really desperate to make Trump's tax cut appealing to everyday Americans, isn't it? Jeez

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The catch is you can't get hired without years of cash handling experience that you can't get anywhere else to get a job like this

I am amazed how people land these jobs

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again, Wells Fargo is based in San Francisco, which passed a 15 dollar minimum wage ordinance. All these financial institutions are being forced to raise their wages to compete with Wells Fargo.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Again, Wells Fargo is based in San Francisco, which passed a 15 dollar minimum wage ordinance. All these financial institutions are being forced to raise their wages to compete with Wells Fargo.

Why would Chase paying more to its workers in SF "force" them to pay more to employees in Texas? This is a win for employees and I'm happy for them, sad to see people here dismiss this as unimportant. Its damn important to those people making more money.

Oct 26, 2017
California
Correct.

Why would Chase paying more to its workers in SF "force" them to pay more to employees in Texas? This is a win for employees and I'm happy for them, sad to see people here dismiss this as unimportant. Its damn important to those people making more money.
Because it's companywide. He was just mentioning that WF is based in SF, where the ordinance initially passed.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because the increase for wells fargo was applied nationwide. I'm not sure if the bill was legislated to force it that way, or if it simply had such an impact on how wells fargo determined comp ratios and market rates for wages and employees that it made more sense for wells fargo to adopt the change in all branches, but the result is the same.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded
You can spin ANY time in US history and claim that the economy was shit for one reason for another. Hell, you are using the same arguments that the alt-right used to downplay economic improvement under Obama.

The economy is very solid right now... I am sorry if that doesn't fit the narrative you WISH was true in your head.

No, no you cant. Many a time before the new deal, or after reaganomics sure. But thats not spin, thats fact, shit sucked, and sucks.

Its not a narrative, and there is no way in hell Obama could have put a dent in this with the complete and absolute resistance he had every step of the way.

only recording people who have been actively looking for a job in the past 4 weeks is a bullshit statistics sleight of hand trick, and whatabouting Alt right bullshit isnt going to change that, unless you actually believe and can prove there has been some miraculous change in that in the last 3 years. Obama TRIED to raise the tax rate of the richest tax bracket up to a meager 40% (compared to the 70,80, 90 percent rates we had when the country was healthy) which WOULD have done something about this, and special interests went full propaganda apeshit.

The economy is only 'good' if the only thing you look at is the GDP and fake extremely short term unemployment numbers, which is a stupid way to look at things. We are in a sour economy, where the rich are richer than ever and making more profit than ever, and everyone else is fucked. We have done a horrible job of recovering from the recession, we are worse off than we were projected to be before the recession, and even THOSE numbers sucked.

But hey, dont argue with me, argue with the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, unless thats alt-right deep state propaganda as well.

https://www.bls.gov/spotlight/2015/long-term-unemployment/

Last edited:

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Good for them and their workers.

I hope the next recession holds off a few years so that worker shortages can help us make ACTUAL progress on wages nationwide.

It's largely going to come from the Retail Apocalypse, so measures like this might even be a short-term response to that inevitable crash.

Market a tax break to normalize what it changes, and to prevent a looming recession that will eventually come anyway. Win/win for the top 1%.

Skid 4

Jan 18, 2018
Chase bank charges you a $12 monthly fee if you don't direct deposit at least $500 a month. The only way to avoid this is by having $1,500 daily balance. Basically fuck you if you're poor.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean... It's more than a PR show at this point.

Trump is a cunt but so far this, in addition to taxing repatriated money, points to the tax cuts working as intended.
The long overdue corporate tax reform was needed and the ridiculous amount of money held hostage overseas ensured there would be a large one-time impact from repatriation. Now try to justify the rest of the changes...

Also, Chase and other companies would be grossly mismanaged if they only made their workforce more competitive because they have a few extra dollars they don't know what to do with. It's believable for small or medium businesses, not companies that have virtually unlimited capital.