• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 42686

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2018
So what is the consensus on this game now?

A 6~7 game. Has good sides, but a lot of bad ones. Grinding and itens availiable make you feel like you're stagnated. The same for xp(takes age for lvl up). Mid and late game plataforming basically resumes into spam of traps, swamps(or similar), small blocks and low size monsters at same time. This makes backtracking annoying and non encouraging. Also, its worth noticing that some prizes are VERY mediocre(example: I passed two rooms of pure cheap traps just to open a box with 2 bags: one of +5 and another of +10 gold).

Roulette of fortune is one of the stupidest things ever introduced. They need to tweak this from the game asap.

Last edited:

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
So what is the consensus on this game now?

Just finish it on hard... i don't know... it went to really good too.... i'm happy it's finish and i will never play it again.... one trophy left... and i don't care to get it really...

Pro:
- Nice graphic, love the retro style too
- Pretty good combat overall
- Perfect weapon varity/Equipment, not to overwhelming.
- Music are pretty good
- Perfect length for this style (took me 8 hours)
- Good ennemies variety/telegraph mouvement

Con :
- Overpower subweapon, this is ridiculous, Get broken the more you advance into the game to a point that ennemies just never move, i'm not kiding...
- Level design is hit or miss, no sure about that random design, my save and teleport were garbage, A LOT of backtraking to get 100% of the map.
- Music is ultra repetitive
- Story is not engaging at all
- Insane difficulty spike mix the previous broken thing like a way to get infinite money in a pretty easy way... then you can buy MP/HP potion...
- At first i was like nice they are not a lot of trap, seem pretty balance.... nop it change midway....

I'm still not sure if i can recommend it, it's not bad... but it's not that good either.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
finished, 100% exploration, but I missed one of the villagers (the dog) no idea where it was, oh well.

solid game, but in the end, very...I dunno, unremarkable? I dont really have anything bad to say about it really, and tis well worth playing if you like the genre, but I also wouldnt tell anyone to rush out and buy it I guess.

10 hours according to steam for those curious, sounds about right since the save was 8 hours and it doesnt track deaths / restarts.
What's wrong with that though? I read too often that something has to be new, outstanding, or revolutionary, about new games. Just give me a solid experience. I don't always need new ideas, genre changing systems, and so on for a game to be good.

Maedhros

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Finished 100% on Normal. 10 hours of play.

I think I'm done with this game. It certainly didn't bring anything new to the genre, but it was solid enough for me. A bit on the easy side (even though I died sometimes). The bosses were just ok.

Hopefully they'll expand this game... there's potential at least.

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
I think the backtracking to find certain items to progress make the game a little tedious IMO. I do like the game but I don't see myself replaying it again once I finish it and honestly I might never jump back to it once Dead Cells comes out even though I almost finished we shall see.

denpanosekai

Oct 28, 2017
I'm happy with any game that gives me village (re)construction mechanics. This one is a bit straight-forward, kind of like Ys 8, but it's appreciated nevertheless.

Contrary to most of you I think the jumping is perfect, but it would be nice to be able to cancel attacks with backdash. Also I would appreciate being able to assign backdash to the shoulder buttons.

Just made it to the second world and I've died quite a lot! I'm being a bit too aggressive and not paying attention to the health bar. Really sucks dying and losing all your progress but I'm to blame.

This game is really scratching an itch. I'm addicted right now. Reminds me of Steamworld Dig in many aspects, but of course SotN, Ys 3, etc are the real inspirations. Well done devs! I will gladly double dip on a physical PS4 copy.

trisbee

Nov 17, 2017
So, I just finished the game, and I will list my gripes.

The map system could have DEFINITELY denoted some things better

The longsword is the same length as the shortsword? Really?

Enemies respawning instantly but of course, not boxes.

I would have definitely saved a lot of time looking for paintings and rooms to place certain feathers.

Why does he need to find a lantern mid game when they are literally hanging throughout the ENTIRETY of the game in which he can easily cut them down?

I almost always expect a final boss in a game like this to have more than 1 form, boy was I disappointed

It was an okay game, not for 7 years of dev time and the story makes Octopath look like Shakespeare

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any point in keeping weapons I don't want? Like can they be upgraded down the road?

Rokal

Oct 25, 2017
I had a pretty lukewarm opinion about the game as of the Forest/Keep, and just ran into a game-ending bug for the Temple, where the item I need to use to enter the area was removed from my inventory when I died shortly after entering it.

I have a save that is ~2 hours back on the PSN cloud, so I could download that and repeat a large chunk of Keep & the boss to theoretically try again and hope the game doesn't bug out, but I'm not sure it's worth it.

This is the second issue I've hit that would have caused my to lost upwards of an hour of progress. The first time, the "game is saving" icon never disappeared after I entered a save room. I kept playing, cleared a bunch of stuff out, and then went to the town only to have the game lock up completely when I tried saving again.

There are so many great Metroidvania games out there these days that it's not really worth your time or money to play one as mediocre and buggy as this. The combat feels simplistic and too repetitive (wait for enemy attack, jump away, attack 1-2x, repeat), the back-dash and walljump moves feel completely awful to use, and the procedurally-generated room placement ends up making the levels feel less cohesive than in other games in the genre. It's built to be replayable, but I'd much rather replay Hollow Knight, Ori, Steamworld Dig 2, or a dozen other great Metroidvania games with 1 perfect level set than replay Chasm.

Edit: Downloaded my PSN save and redid the stuff I had lost, which didn't end up taking long since I knew what rooms weren't worth visiting. On the way I found a second Gold Ore, which combined with the Jewel vendor let me make Gold Armor that doubled my defense, effectively making every enemy I had spent hours working through before do half as much damage and the whole section and boss super easy to clear through.

Who wants this level of RNG in a game like this? I had opened every chest I came across and explored the entire map that was open to me, but the best armor I had was chain mail from several levels back. Upon replaying the exact same levels in my seed because of the game breaking bug, I find items completely randomly that makes everything half as difficult. This is not a good Metroidvania.

Last edited:

SaberX85

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2mi3nmp.jpg

Finished the game on hard in 8 hours, just need 2 more trophies but i think i will skip it since dead cells is just around the corned.

I like the battle, there are many different weapons too.
It's a hard game and i love it, especially the last part.
Never got any bug and it runs smoothly on base ps4.
The story is simple and rescuing villagers was fun and helpful to your journey.

Solid 8 for me.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
What did they do in all those years? The very basic playstyle of the game is straight up awful. 0 hit stun, locked in place, no fluid motions, dash is useless. Everything just feels clunky as hell.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
For a while there, I thought I'd gotten a bad seed or something. Turns out, since I had zero interest in reading the story bits from the journal entries, I missed the clue about the frescoes in the catacombs. I suppose that I'll need to pay more attention to that stuff in the future. By the way, I have a question regarding the dark area in the mines, but I'll mark it as a spoiler in case anyone hasn't seen it yet.

The only thing in the dark area of the mines for me was the Bird Hat, which grants you a bird familiar. Are there other familiars later in the game? The reason I ask is because it's my understanding that the Bird Hat is only available to Kickstarter backers who pledged $50 or more. The developers didn't lock the familiar mechanic behind a backer reward, did they?

stalfos

Oct 27, 2017
For a while there, I thought I'd gotten a bad seed or something. Turns out, since I had zero interest in reading the story bits from the journal entries, I missed the clue about the frescoes in the catacombs. I suppose that I'll need to pay more attention to that stuff in the future. By the way, I have a question regarding the dark area in the mines, but I'll mark it as a spoiler in case anyone hasn't seen it yet.

The only thing in the dark area of the mines for me was the Bird Hat, which grants you a bird familiar. Are there other familiars later in the game? The reason I ask is because it's my understanding that the Bird Hat is only available to Kickstarter backers who pledged $50 or more. The developers didn't lock the familiar mechanic behind a backer reward, did they?
I didn't back the game at all and I got the bird hat, so no it's definitely not backer exclusive. And yes there is at least one other familiar, there might be more but I only found two.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the only things my map that show a dot are either things that need something placed in them or a jump I can't even makev with the glider. I can't progress further. I think I got an unfinishable seed

edit: missing the flip artifact, where the heck do you ge tthat

Last edited:

Shibi

Oct 25, 2017
I finished the game but never came across the final villager or the last artifact. I know there was a room that needed 2 objects to release a chest, but I have no idea what to do there.

oddjobs

Oct 27, 2017
I finished the game but never came across the final villager or the last artifact. I know there was a room that needed 2 objects to release a chest, but I have no idea what to do there.

last villager is probably the dog. you need to clear the arena fights to get scuba gear to find him in the garden's flooded areas. he'll give you one of the items needed to release the chest.

Apr 4, 2018
Man I feel bad. I just bought this, but I started Yakuza 0 the day after and have been playing that non-stop. Now, Dead Cells comes out in a couple days. I feel like this is the kind of game that just get swallowed up into the backlog when better games come out, never to be played again :(

mauaus

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the only things my map that show a dot are either things that need something placed in them or a jump I can't even makev with the glider. I can't progress further. I think I got an unfinishable seed

edit: missing the flip artifact, where the heck do you ge tthat
I think I'm in the same boat, got the parachute last, beat king trell but now i have nowhere to go... All the spots i havent visited are ones i need to swim underwater or break the ground...or like you said impossible jumps

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm in the same boat, got the parachute last, beat king trell but now i have nowhere to go... All the spots i havent visited are ones i need to swim underwater or break the ground...or like you said impossible jumps

in the keep there is an arena you must beat to get the scuba gear

Tofd

Jul 8, 2018

Once you have the amulet from the Keep boss, go back to the garden. One of the blue squares will lead you to the next area.

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
The magic knife is best ability in the game IMO. Game is much easier when you max it out.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Played about 1.5 hours last night:

- It is a very pretty game

- Music is great

- Gameplay is good but i hate that so cant do that backslide until attack animation finishes. That's when I need it the most lol

- Story seems alright but who plays this genre for the story

- Level design is ok so far nothing groundbreaking. It gets the job done

I dont know....I am having fun with the game but so far it seems to be missing "something" not sure what. Solid 7/10 so far

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
Played about 1.5 hours last night:

- It is a very pretty game

- Music is great

- Gameplay is good but i hate that so cant do that backslide until attack animation finishes. That's when I need it the most lol

- Story seems alright but who plays this genre for the story

- Level design is ok so far nothing groundbreaking. It gets the job done

I dont know....I am having fun with the game but so far it seems to be missing "something" not sure what. Solid 7/10 so far
If you press back slide and attack at the same time, it will do both. Very useful move for a lot of enemies.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
Can anybody tell me if you eventually get a proper double jump? Please spoiler your answer in case others don't want to know.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I am just plain stuck now. I can't progress anywhere in the Keep after the warp point because it looks like all of the areas ahead of me require a wall jump ability that I don't have, and I can't progress in the Gardens because there are two water rooms and I don't have the ability to dive underwater. Any advice?

SaberX85

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am just plain stuck now. I can't progress anywhere in the Keep after the warp point because it looks like all of the areas ahead of me require a wall jump ability that I don't have, and I can't progress in the Gardens because there are two water rooms and I don't have the ability to dive underwater. Any advice?
Finish the arena to get scuba gear.

Equip the pendant you get from the keep and go to blue marked room in garden to advance

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
What's wrong with that though? I read too often that something has to be new, outstanding, or revolutionary, about new games. Just give me a solid experience. I don't always need new ideas, genre changing systems, and so on for a game to be good.

where did I say there was something wrong with that? I even said it was solid.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
Exploration is fun, but when every encounter is long room with enemies followed by long room with enemies it is just such a drag.

Yep, level design is the main thing dragging the game down for me. I like the game but randomly generated levels doesn't really make sense for a Metroidvania, imo.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I think the drop system could use some work. I mean shit I can kill Schmoos in Symphony of the Night within 5 to 10 minutes I grab one of the most powerful weapons in the game (Crissaegrim).

Yet here I am grinding a bunch of weak Kobold enemies for a couple of pieces of venison, it's been over a half an hour and I have not got one, this on top of my character being level 39 with equips optimized for the Luck stat.

And then there is the issue of being unable to cancel attacks with the slide which makes combat feel much more clunky when you have an evasive action and you cannot cancel into a dash as typical of the genre.

I know only 5 guys made this game but it regards to certain things the balance seems off kilter in some aspects.

SaberX85

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
igdu3d.jpg

Blast through mortal mode in easy to get the platinum. I'm glad the easy mode is really easy, like each enemy can only do 1 -5 damages

Kensuke

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
I thought the game was aggressively mediocre. I feel like it doesn't really have any original ideas making it feel very derivative. It's still competent and fun enough to play through once, the base mechanics are solid. It's just not a game that will stay with me at all.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Hit 100% on normal tonight. About to jump into Easy/Mortal. Thought the game was definitely good and mechanically solid, but very lacking in identity. The story and characters were extremely uninteresting, and the variety of weapons and spells felt lacking. Flavour-wise, I thought the gear was crazy bland as well. Nobody wants to find a steel helmet as a rare chest item in the second to last area; that's not special feeling at all! Dunno' if I'll ever come back to it once I wrap up the trophies, but the core concepts on display were all solid and I'm keen to see where this game goes after some patches, and where their next game goes, too. Feeling like a 7/10. No need to rush out to buy it, but it's a fun romp. (Played on PS4 and Vita, both versions were great. Vita felt completely uncompromised)

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017

You don't need the scuba gear to advanced, that's entirely optional. You need to go to a room in the Garden were there was a text in the wall you couldn't read. You'll find the professor whatshisname over there.

All in all I concur with the general opinion here. I finished at 95% and 98%, just needed to get the scuba gear and explore those last rooms for 100% completition but I ended up deleting the game after the Arena Champion trophy bugged for me.

I'd give it a 7. Major letdowns for me were the backslide being useles, the wall clawing mechanic and the OP first spell. But I enjoyed the game otherwise

One question I wanted to ask is this game has awaken for me the desire to play more similar indies, so I wanted to ask you guys for recommendations, as many mention that there are other, better, similar games.

Never played the originals (didn't attrack me at the time) but games of a similar fashion I enjoyed lately would be Shovel Knight, Salt and Sanctuary and Rogue Legacy.

I'd definitelly pick Death's Gambit up but I'm not too sure about Dead Cells. I heard it's hard and I'm not the greatest at platforming. Same with Celeste.

I have Guacamelee from the PS plus but the theme doesn't attract me that much (I want to give it a chance though). Same with Iconoclasts, thematically is not my thing, although I may pick it up if everyone recommends it.

Hollow Knight would be perfect but it's not on the PS4.

PS: Searching online I found out this game that looks perfect for my tastes, it's called Blasphemous. I think it's a 2019 game though:

https://youtu.be/pyskUorhheg

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully i can finally get this game this week in europe (dutch) psn store cuz my ps4 is broken and imma have to wait till spiderman release date for my pro yup gettin that limited one.

So i can't play deaths gambit and guacamelee 2 till then sadly so i hope this can hold me over on vita till then.

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
One question I wanted to ask is this game has awaken for me the desire to play more similar indies, so I wanted to ask you guys for recommendations, as many mention that there are other, better, similar games.

If you like the action in Chasm I would check out Morodora: Reverie under the Moonlight, that game is basically this game done right. If you want a more slow paced puzzle platformer then Alwa's Awakening is pretty cool. Playing it reminded me of playing Battle for Olympus on my NES back in the day. Also if you can get over the art style I would really recommend Guacamelee, it is a stella game. And I backed Blasphemous back when it was on KS and have been playing the beta and the guy handles like a dream. Obviously can't comment on the level design but if it in equal quality to the basic combat in that game then it will be a game to look out for.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
If you like the action in Chasm I would check out Morodora: Reverie under the Moonlight, that game is basically this game done right. If you want a more slow paced puzzle platformer then Alwa's Awakening is pretty cool. Playing it reminded me of playing Battle for Olympus on my NES back in the day. Also if you can get over the art style I would really recommend Guacamelee, it is a stella game. And I backed Blasphemous back when it was on KS and have been playing the beta and the guy handles like a dream. Obviously can't comment on the level design but if it in equal quality to the basic combat in that game then it will be a game to look out for.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll check them out. And l'll givr guacamelee a chance, being that I already own it. Also great to hear about Blasphemous

SaberX85

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
C
You don't need the scuba gear to advanced, that's entirely optional. You need to go to a room in the Garden were there was a text in the wall you couldn't read. You'll find the professor whatshisname over there.

All in all I concur with the general opinion here. I finished at 95% and 98%, just needed to get the scuba gear and explore those last rooms for 100% completition but I ended up deleting the game after the Arena Champion trophy bugged for me.

I'd give it a 7. Major letdowns for me were the backslide being useles, the wall clawing mechanic and the OP first spell. But I enjoyed the game otherwise

Never played the originals (didn't attrack me at the time) but games of a similar fashion I enjoyed lately would be Shovel Knight, Salt and Sanctuary and Rogue Legacy.

I'd definitelly pick Death's Gambit up but I'm not too sure about Dead Cells. I heard it's hard and I'm not the greatest at platforming. Same with Celeste.

I have Guacamelee from the PS plus but the theme doesn't attract me that much (I want to give it a chance though). Same with Iconoclasts, thematically is not my thing, although I may pick it up if everyone recommends it.

Hollow Knight would be perfect but it's not on the PS4.

PS: Searching online I found out this game that looks perfect for my tastes, it's called Blasphemous. I think it's a 2019 game though:

https://youtu.be/pyskUorhheg
Chronicles of teddy is great.

Momodora too.

Dead cells gonna be awesome *i hope

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
C

Chronicles of teddy is great.

Momodora too.

Dead cells gonna be awesome *i hope

Dead Cells I may get because of the good reviews and the 20% pre-order discount. I also enjoy the look of the game. I just hope is not too hard.

I'll check Chronicles of Teddy as well.

At least I'll add all of you guys recommendations to my wishlist, so if I see them cheap on the store I'll grab them