• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh this game is shit pixelated. Can't just make it a little easier on the eyes?
I am using ReShade to provide a nicer looking CRT filter than the one built into the game because I thought that one looked really fake, and yeah, the razor sharp pixels are too sharp for me.

imagedvfa8.png

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
If you want to try it, use Reshade in opengl mode and use the CRT Lottes shader. For the internal resolution settings, you'll want to either use 384x216 (that's the native resolution of the game) if you're playing windowed or at a multiple of that resolution, or w/s x h/s where w = your horizontal resolution, h = your vertical resolution, and s = the scaling factor that is closest to your resolution. For instance, I'm playing in full screen at 2560x1440, and the 6x scale option is the closest, so I've got the shader set to 426.66 x 240 internally.

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
Played it for about an hour and half, it seems pretty enjoyable for the most part so far. That said, I really don't like the wind down on attack animations, hitting jump and nothing happening because there's a handful of frames of animation after an attack just makes it feel unresponsive. Attack, try to jump or avoid, can't because you can't move for a fraction of a second, get hit... sucks. I'm finding my self just hoping over pretty basic enemies repeatedly until they lock themselves into an attack animation, trying to hit them then, but they seem to be able to move after an attack quicker than you can. Maybe I'm just not remembering the feel of old Castlevania games or Hollow Knight and Dead Cells has spoiled me.

brambles13

Oct 27, 2017
Playing on Vita, a good way into the Garden now (3rd or 4th area). I love how easy it is to backtrack to get new items with new abilities. I really does play like Castlevania, my only complaint is the game has been a bit easy so far compared to Circle of the Moon (which I very recently beat). Still it is a really good game so far, can't wait to try mortal mode eventually.

Shoes

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My extra copy showed up as a gift link in the humble store shortly before release. You should've received only one alpha access key which gave access to the alpha build and then updated into the early access backer build a couple weeks ago and then the full game upon release.

Thank you, looks like my key is there. I might have to go through all of my update emails because I am like 99% positive at some point I gave out an extra key for this game at some point in the development process.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Someone said earlier in the thread that you can open the map with the Select Button. I'm assuming this only applies to the Steam release?

Because the left side of the touchpad which is what the back / select button is for the PS4 does not do anything at all.

Neverfade

Oct 25, 2017
When's the earliest I can find an upgrade for the shortsword? I'm just past the
Wendigo

bender

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like my Keep progress is being gated by 4 bells but I'm not seeing clues on the order to ring them.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
No mentions yet from the dev/Sony on its non-appearance in a few of the European country PSN stores?

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Played a lot more today and I quite like it even though I still feel like it's very cookie cutter iga castlevania style. Which I still like haha.
In fact , I found a weapon that made me love the game even more. I'd consider it a spoiler, but the weapon is
a freakin WHIP! Feels so good. Don;t care if it's low attack, it's awesome.

Tofd

Jul 8, 2018
Seems like my Keep progress is being gated by 4 bells but I'm not seeing clues on the order to ring them.

Once you find the black feather in the keep, go back to the catacombs. There's a path that opens there (at the top) where you'll find the item you need to progress further in the keep.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
When's the earliest I can find an upgrade for the shortsword? I'm just past the
Wendigo
I think doing a no-hit run of a boss gives you a unique item from it? I either got the Wendigo Claw because I was extremely lucky, or that.

Ended up getting the longsword a bit after and using it despite the lower damage and speed, just because of the reach.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Holy fuck this looks so fuckin amazi--------..............*procedural generated levels*

:(

Keep in mind only the map layout is procedurally generated. The actual pieces that comprise the map are all handcrafted.

If the game never said the levels had procedural generation you would none the wiser in regards of the level design feeling like cohesive hand crafted experience.

If one thing this game has over SOTN is that there are proper platforming segments. That is one thing I thought SOTN lacked as a Castlevania game in that the predecessors all had challenging platforming portions which were completely absent from the game. Chasm manages to at least have a semblance of challenge in this regard with the traps and acid / lava pools.

Last edited:

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
yes its very, and I hate to say this since its so cliche these days, but it's very dark souls-y in that way.

also this second boss
the worm
is hard fuck me O_o

Just got there last night, made a couple tries but it destroyed me. Any tips on what weapons/ spells to use vs him? Inwas thinking maybe magic shield?

Tofd

Jul 8, 2018
Just got there last night, made a couple tries but it destroyed me. Any tips on what weapons/ spells to use vs him? Inwas thinking maybe magic shield?

Use magic knives to damage it. You'll find it a lot easier to dodge its attacks. The only time to safety melee is when he digs digs up and back down.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
The Boomerang seems to be a great weapon to use against bosses. While it's attack isn't very high keep in mind it hits multiple times at its full damage.

Case in point for the 2nd Boss
The Worm
the Boomerang can hit it like 3 to 4 times with enough a window to also combo into a few regular sword swings.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
The Boomerang seems to be a great weapon to use against bosses. While it's attack isn't very high keep in mind it hits multiple times at its full damage.

Case in point for the 2nd Boss
The Worm
the Boomerang can hit it like 3 to 4 times with enough a window to also combo into a few regular sword swings.

Thanks for the tip. I don't have the boomerang atm but I'll try to get it soon.

Regarding the game I'm enjoying it a lot, although I almost never use the dodge button.

Platforming is the right amount of hard for me without being frustrating, so I guess for others it may be a bit easy, as I'm generally not that good at it. For me is perfect though.

Also it's longer than I thought it would be, at least for me, that likes to play it safe and bactrack to get that save just in case.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
Keep exploring the Keep. You will get the answer.

I just beat it. It's a very good game. Fired up mortal now. Gunna shoot for the plat.
Hey, since you beat the game, can you point me in the right direction? I beat the boss of
The Keep
and I found the
Ulak Pendant
behind him, but I can't figure out what to do with it. It doesn't seem to help me open any doors that I'm aware of, or anything like that. Thanks!

Ombala

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Looks intres....randomized maps.
I'm out, good level design is essential in these games and you don't get that from random generated maps.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I'm out, good level design is essential in these games and you don't get that from random generated maps.

its a feature for replays, if you didnt know it was a randomized seed you would have no idea, it feels like any other one of these. But you do you.

Anyway im a little stuck, after the 4th boss in
the keep
there was no new skill / artefact and I dont see any other places I can go since I dont have
double jump
yet. Little help?

Hey, since you beat the game, can you point me in the right direction? I beat the boss of
The Keep
and I found the
Ulak Pendant
behind him, but I can't figure out what to do with it. It doesn't seem to help me open any doors that I'm aware of, or anything like that. Thanks!

this is exactly where im stuck aswell lol

edit: oh nvm I forgot I had an item that lets me progress.
The Shovel opens those dirt patches

Last edited:

daevv

Oct 27, 2017
On the PS4 the map is R1

Minor gripe but I wish it was R1 again to close the map. I'm always hitting it to close but it just changes the map location. I check the map a lot since there is no mini map on screen.

I'm stuck at the 3 digit lock. Notes say to look for murals. I found one of a castle but it didn't have any numbers I could see. Will do more exploring later.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Minor gripe but I wish it was R1 again to close the map. I'm always hitting it to close but it just changes the map location. I check the map a lot since there is no mini map on screen.

I'm stuck at the 3 digit lock. Notes say to look for murals. I found one of a castle but it didn't have any numbers I could see. Will do more exploring later.

Yeah it happens to me as well

Regarding the murals
is not numbers but objects that you look for in them

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really digging this game. I think it is my favorite game
of this type since the DS Castlevanias. I buy pretty much every Metroidvania that comes out, always hoping to find the next one the grabs me—Guacamelee, Ori, Hollow Knight, Axiom Verge—but they just never seem to scratch the itch and I end up dropping them almost immediately. Now it could be because it is such a joy to play anything on the Vita, but I'm already 40% through Chasm, and as soon as I finish writing this I'll probably put in another 10%.

The graphics and overall style really work for me. I couldn't get in to Hollow Knight because I just didn't like how it looked. Chasm has the pixel art style that really appeals to me, and the monsters are really well designed—quite similar to Castlevania enemies. I kind of wished they had take even more from Castlevania's playbook and added some sort of "soul system." I like just running around killing stuff, but there seems to be little incentive to do that (I'm still relatively early so maybe that will change).

I also really like the sub-weapon system, though I feel they are almost too powerful. In Castlevania, I tend to use sub-weapons sparingly, but in Chasm I've been integrating them as a regular (and essential) part of my attack.

Overall, if you are looking for a Metroidvania style game that is more stylistically similar to the Castlevania games, I'd definitely recommend this based off of the time I've spent on it so far. I'm not going to say it is better than the other games I've cited here, but I can say with certainty that I personally like it a lot more than any of those games.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
The Keep
and I found the
Ulak Pendant

Sorry for my late reply. Been playing!

Go to the gardens. There will be a scene near a door. It will be a blue room on your map with no name on it if you've found it already. Put the pendant on to proceed to the temple

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry for my late reply. Been playing!

Go to the gardens. There will be a scene near a door. It will be a blue room on your map with no name on it if you've found it already. Put the pendant on to proceed to the temple

I went to that room and nothing happens to me... is this where I find out my save is busted? lol

edit: wait theres another blue room I havent checked back!

Last edited:

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
SO 2 hours and half, 40% map done... like it a lot so far, hard mode is the mode to play, perfectly balance, but now i'm totally lost....i really need help

I've reach a switch that make water flood on garden, the last upgrade i got was the lamp, now i totally don't know where to go.... i've also discover a lock door with spike in the garden

The layout is random, but all the map are pre-made, so the design here is pretty amazing so far, if you nobody would have tell me it was random, i would have totally not guest it...

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I ended up staying up almost 4 hours past my normal sleep time playing. Really enjoying it

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
Gonna do my usual bullshit...buy this now on PC, get halfway through, hear of a switch announcement, stop, double dip and start over.

Ain't even mad.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony europe is so incompetent it's still not up in the dutch psn store one full day late already what a complete fools.

How can sony fuck that up XD
Atleast deaths gambit is finally pre order able. Hopefully chasm appears today or midnight......

mcwizardry

Oct 25, 2017
If you want to try it, use Reshade in opengl mode and use the CRT Lottes shader. For the internal resolution settings, you'll want to either use 384x216 (that's the native resolution of the game) if you're playing windowed or at a multiple of that resolution, or w/s x h/s where w = your horizontal resolution, h = your vertical resolution, and s = the scaling factor that is closest to your resolution. For instance, I'm playing in full screen at 2560x1440, and the 6x scale option is the closest, so I've got the shader set to 426.66 x 240 internally.
Thanks for sharing your settings. Did you change anything else or just the resolution values?

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Sony europe is so incompetent it's still not up in the dutch psn store one full day late already what a complete fools.

How can sony fuck that up XD
Atleast deaths gambit is finally pre order able. Hopefully chasm appears today or midnight......

Thanks for the heads up regarding Death's Gambit, was waiting for it.

Curious how this things work, Chasm had the EU value set as a direct conversion (more or less) $ to €, so $20 was 18€, 16.2€ with the 10% plus discount.

Death's Gambit is 20€, but has a 20% preorder discount, making it 16€ as well.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, kind of disappointed in this to be honest. Played for 90 minutes and not really feeling it, I wish I bought it on Steam so I could get a refund. Guess I'll stick with it for awhile and see if it grabs me.

Oct 26, 2017
Has anyone completed the Bestiary yet? I'm at the final boss and still missing 2 entries; No. 75 and 76. Also found the secret area in every level except the Mines I believe. About to go through every level with the
Secret Detector

V_Ben

Larian Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
St Albans, UK
I got a PS4 key through my kickstarter backer add-ons, so selling my Steam key for $15 on PayPal if anyone's interested! Would rather it not go to waste :)

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Has anyone completed the Bestiary yet? I'm at the final boss and still missing 2 entries; No. 75 and 76. Also found the secret area in every level except the Mines I believe. About to go through every level with the
Secret Detector

The good thing with the bestiary is most of the monsters are clumped in an area. Are they temple monsters? I can have a look st my complete bestiary and tell you what they are if that helps