• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Ok they are both in the Temple. One is Royal Guard, a golden knight looking guy found in the upper left section later in the temple. The other is the Ladori priest without the sickle weapon thing. Should be in the same area or just before?

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Looks intres....randomized maps.
I'm out, good level design is essential in these games and you don't get that from random generated maps.

uUWHwyn.jpg

The sad thing it's quite likely you wouldn't have even noticed the map is procedurally generated.

Meffer

Oct 25, 2017
I wish you could mark points on the map so I won't have to do a lap to find places I couldn't access before with a new upgrade.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Seriously. If someone doesn't know the game uses procedural generation, they'd never be able to tell. It's that good.

I'm perpetually surprised at the unending stream of people that must make a point to tell everyone else how much they dislike procedural generation, as if that marked them as profound connoisseurs of game design as opposed to prejudiced and ignorant.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
finished, 100% exploration, but I missed one of the villagers (the dog) no idea where it was, oh well.

solid game, but in the end, very...I dunno, unremarkable? I dont really have anything bad to say about it really, and tis well worth playing if you like the genre, but I also wouldnt tell anyone to rush out and buy it I guess.

10 hours according to steam for those curious, sounds about right since the save was 8 hours and it doesnt track deaths / restarts.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Ok they are both in the Temple. One is Royal Guard, a golden knight looking guy found in the upper left section later in the temple. The other is the Ladori priest without the sickle weapon thing. Should be in the same area or just before?

Thanks, those must be it! Totally mistook the Temple Guard for the Royal Guard, and the Ladori Priestess for the Priest lol. And since one said 1 more kill to unlock I thought it was a mini boss or something.

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
I wish you could mark points on the map so I won't have to do a lap to find places I couldn't access before with a new upgrade.

You can actually set markers on your map. It took me while to fully understand the map as it is kind of vague but now I am at the point where I can tell what area I haven't accessed yet.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
The only mark down I would give this is because I can't spam the backslide as fast as I can in SotN. Everything else has been great (Although if I don't find a pot roast in a breakable wall soon that will be another point down)

bender

Oct 27, 2017
Once you find the black feather in the keep, go back to the catacombs. There's a path that opens there (at the top) where you'll find the item you need to progress further in the keep.

Finished the game last night but this was where I was stuck. Thank you for helping.

I understand why they wanted to do a procedurally generated game, but I don't think the desired result is realized. While the rooms may be handcrafted, the layout definitely has a computer-generated vibe to it. I can't imagine playing through it again and I can't imagine that the experience will stick with me in the coming months.

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
solid game, but in the end, very...I dunno, unremarkable? I dont really have anything bad to say about it really, and tis well worth playing if you like the genre, but I also wouldnt tell anyone to rush out and buy it I guess.

I understand why they wanted to do a procedurally generated game, but I don't think the desired result is realized. While the rooms may be handcrafted, the layout definitely has a computer-generated vibe to it. I can't imagine playing through it again and I can't imagine that the experience will stick with me in the coming months.

This is about where I land as well. Backed it on kickstarter and have been looking forward to it a great deal but I can't say I'd recommend it to anyone that isn't already a fan of the genre. I enjoyed my time with it well enough but to me it feels like the effort put in to the randomization doesn't feel like much of a benefit. I think it feels like each biome is too disconnected from one another which probably comes down to the randomization again.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Use magic knives to damage it. You'll find it a lot easier to dodge its attacks. The only time to safety melee is when he digs digs up and back down.

Thanks, this work like a charm

Regarding the procedural generated aspect of the game it's obviously a minus if you don't plan on playing it twice. All the time wasted on making tha game able to generate an infinite number of mostly OK maps could've been used in making a really exceptional one

Last edited:

Occam

Oct 25, 2017
Is there an explanation somewhere what the stats do? Specifically, what do INT and CON do?

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
Thanks, this work like a charm

Regarding the procedural generated aspect of the game it's obviously a minus if you don't plan on playing it twice. All the time wasted on making tha game able to generate an infinite number of mostly OK maps could've been used in making a really exceptional one

I kind of agree with this but I can understand why they went this route as they were trying to set themselves apart from other games in this genre and I am fine with them taking the risk.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I kind of agree with this but I can understand why they went this route as they were trying to set themselves apart from other games in this genre and I am fine with them taking the risk.

Actually I think on the blog post from the author it says that the procedural part of the code was inherited from another game, or from a game that they scrapped, or something similar, so they were probabky married to that

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
Is there an explanation somewhere what the stats do? Specifically, what do INT and CON do?
INT gives your spells more damage. CON as a stat is usually to help stymie status effects, but I haven't noticed any difference in the game.

Sorry for my late reply. Been playing!

Go to the gardens. There will be a scene near a door. It will be a blue room on your map with no name on it if you've found it already. Put the pendant on to proceed to the temple
Hmm. I could have sworn I already tried that. Maybe there's one I'm missing but I went up to the circular thing with a slot in the middle while wearing it, and nothing happened.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I'm perpetually surprised at the unending stream of people that must make a point to tell everyone else how much they dislike procedural generation, as if that marked them as profound connoisseurs of game design as opposed to prejudiced and ignorant.
I get the sense that a lot of "critics" of procedural generation don't understand that most of the good games that use it have hand crafted rooms, it's just that they're stitched together procedurally. It's a lot of work to make a good system for procedural generation, and there are a lot of games that do it well. Just look at Into the Breach. Those randomized stages are so good that they feel entirely hand crafted. I wanna know what games they played that soured them on roguelite/like gameplay (if they ever gave them a chance to begin with).

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
I get the sense that a lot of "critics" of procedural generation don't understand that most of the good games that use it have hand crafted rooms, it's just that they're stitched together procedurally. It's a lot of work to make a good system for procedural generation, and there are a lot of games that do it well. Just look at Into the Breach. Those randomized stages are so good that they feel entirely hand crafted. I wanna know what games they played that soured them on roguelite/like gameplay (if they ever gave them a chance to begin with).
Rogue Legacy has hand crafted rooms too, but there's a lot less care that went into each one, and there are rarely secondary goals that lead into each other, and there's no accounting for rising difficulty of rooms the further into an area you go. So if that's your metric I can understand being wary of it, even though I actually like RL. But Chasm handles this so much more cleverly, it's a shame people are missing that.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Rogue Legacy has hand crafted rooms too, but there's a lot less care that went into each one, and there are rarely secondary goals that lead into each other, and there's no accounting for rising difficulty of rooms the further into an area you go. So if that's your metric I can understand being wary of it, even though I actually like RL. But Chasm handles this so much more cleverly, it's a shame people are missing that.
Yeah, frankly I'm a bit confused at how RL got so popular. It's a pretty mediocre roguelite IMO and lots of games do everything it did better.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Had a bit of an annoying experience with the first boss, as I managed to beat it after several tries and some grinding for mana. Went to the next area, got the wall climb/jump gloves, and ran into the bee hive enemy that I died trying to figure out how to take it down. The last save point was before the boss, so I naturally had to start over with the boss fight again. Got past it after several more attempts and immediately went back to the save point above the boss fight area to prevent that from happening again. Eventually found the cave in that next area and the teleport to the cave shortcuts from the first area so I could go back to the town, but a new item, refill health/mana, and get a fresh save. At least I know now that I shouldn't trust the game to be even a little bit better than Symphony of the Night with regards to save.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
Yeah, frankly I'm a bit confused at how RL got so popular. It's a pretty mediocre roguelite IMO and lots of games do everything it did better.
Yeah, some games just randomly catch zeitgeist. It can be hard to predict. I think the charming art style and some of its more progressive character design elements carried it a lot further than it would have gone otherwise.

Had a bit of an annoying experience with the first boss, as I managed to beat it after several tries and some grinding for mana. Went to the next area, got the wall climb/jump gloves, and ran into the bee hive enemy that I died trying to figure out how to take it down. The last save point was before the boss, so I naturally had to start over with the boss fight again. Got past it after several more attempts and immediately went back to the save point above the boss fight area to prevent that from happening again. Eventually found the cave in that next area and the teleport to the cave shortcuts from the first area so I could go back to the town, but a new item, refill health/mana, and get a fresh save. At least I know now that I shouldn't trust the game to be even a little bit better than Symphony of the Night with regards to save.
Yeah, I guess they thought having a save right before and right after the boss fight was a bit redundant. But the reason there's not a portal right away is because they're trying to encourage players to go out and explore instead of retreating back to safety.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017

For whatever reason was very satisfying to play. I liked it .lot.

Regarding Chasm my main gripe would be magic; he best spell hands dowm is thr first one, so there's no sense of progression there

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
INT gives your spells more damage. CON as a stat is usually to help stymie status effects, but I haven't noticed any difference in the game.

Hmm. I could have sworn I already tried that. Maybe there's one I'm missing but I went up to the circular thing with a slot in the middle while wearing it, and nothing happened.

Nope that one is a later area. The temple will be a door with teeth like bars blocking entry next to a plaque you can't read until you have the pendant and trigger that scene.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
Has anyone compared the town buding/villager saving in this game to Soul Blazer? Watching a little bit of footage I kind of got that feeling but I'm not sure what the full game is really like

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Oh come on, that's such a ridiculous statement. If procedurally generated level design was even remotely capable of replicating tailored level design, games wouldn't need level designers.
Dwarf Fortress and Unexplored do a pretty good job. And this game too supposedly

Also, the rooms here aren't procedurally generated. They're all hand-made

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Dwarf Fortress and Unexplored do a pretty good job. And this game too supposedly
They're both roguelikes, so the procedural generation plays a very different role, where you're going through levels multiple times within a single "playthrough" of the game.

Procedurally generated level design has a time and a place. It doesn't mean it's always a good replacement for tailored level design. Like I said, there's a reason level designers are still a thing.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh come on, that's such a ridiculous statement. If procedurally generated level design was even remotely capable of replicating tailored level design, games wouldn't need level designers.
I mean, the rooms themselves were made by hand, it's just the arrangement of rooms that changes. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. As a Metroidvania, I would definitely say a game like Hollow Knight has far better level design then what I've played of Chasm. That said, Chasm can give you a much different experience each time you play it, which Hollow Knight doesnt offer. Hollow Knight is also a fairly long game, whereas Chasm is fairly short, in part to encourage multiple playthroughs. So there are tradeoffs for either method, just like any design decision.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
They're both roguelikes, so the procedural generation plays a very different role, where you're going through levels multiple times within a single "playthrough" of the game.

Procedurally generated level design has a time and a place. It doesn't mean it's always a good replacement for tailored level design. Like I said, there's a reason level designers are still a thing.
I added it after, the rooms are hand-made in this, not generated

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I guess they thought having a save right before and right after the boss fight was a bit redundant. But the reason there's not a portal right away is because they're trying to encourage players to go out and explore instead of retreating back to safety.
I'd have appreciated a quick autosave in the boss room as a reward for beating them, but now I'll probably just yoyo from the save point making slow progress until I find a weapon I like.

bender

Oct 27, 2017

I think the upgrade mechanics in RL tickle people's brains in the right way to make it addictive. I could never get past the ugly run animation of your avatar.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
So after beating the game just under 7 hours at 99.7% complete, I never completely fell in love with it. It's very serviceable, but it's so cookie cutter that I was just kind of going through the motions. Also, level 3 magic dagger is way too overpowered. The fact you can out range even the toughest enemies aggro means they sit there till they die without even noticing you.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
So after beating the game just under 7 hours at 99.7% complete, I never completely fell in love with it. It's very serviceable, but it's so cookie cutter that I was just kind of going through the motions. Also, level 3 magic dagger is way too overpowered. The fact you can out range even the toughest enemies aggro means they sit there till they die without even noticing you.

I feel you. But later on a lot of the tougher enemies blocked the dagger too frequently to use it I found. The dagger was definitely the best spell. Which is weird.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I feel you. But later on a lot of the tougher enemies blocked the dagger too frequently to use it I found. The dagger was definitely the best spell. Which is weird.

I ended up still tossing it at them despite a few blocks here and there . Since it only cost 1 Mana it's ridiculously good. I think the only enemies that completely negated it were the small spear holders which were easy to kill anyway. I powered up the other weapons by save scumming to test them all out, but that triple dagger is just too beastly.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I played about two hours last night and I didn't get that impression.
The first area was virtually identical for me on a restart with a different seed. I assume the later ones use procedural generation more heavily, since I did start to get some repeating layouts (most noticeably in the garden area).

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
Same. This is a huge flaw in the game, IMO. And it's only really at the final boss that the game is like okay no more of that now!

If you get the mana ring from one of the villagers then you basically never run out of mana. It's not an exciting way to play the game, so I'll probably choose a different spell next time.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Same. This is a huge flaw in the game, IMO. And it's only really at the final boss that the game is like okay no more of that now!

If you get the mana ring from one of the villagers then you basically never run out of mana. It's not an exciting way to play the game, so I'll probably choose a different spell next time.

Haha I had that Mana ring equipped immediately as soon as I found it as well. On my second playthrough I'll definitely abstain from using it. I just hope the games random generation really switches things up, but I'm kinda doubting it. Even if rooms are in a different order it's not necessarily going to feel different enough to me .

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
Haha I had that Mana ring equipped immediately as soon as I found it as well. On my second playthrough I'll definitely abstain from using it. I just hope the games random generation really switches things up, but I'm kinda doubting it. Even if rooms are in a different order it's not necessarily going to feel different enough to me .
Yeah. I went overboard in preparing for things because I didn't know how bad things were going to get. Turns out... not very. So if I run through again I'm going to try to have more fun with it and not waste hours scrounging every corner for extra weapons and loot.

I was talking to a friend about this earlier... the lore of the game makes out the fourth and fifth bosses to be these forces of nature that have been wrecking everyone's shit. So to have them not even present a challenge... I was playing on the wrong difficulty.