• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What happens to UK/EU customers who have pre-orders from EU/UK shops for games that are released after 29th of march in the event of Brexit? Delays and possibly custom charges I imagine? Cancelled pre-orders? Does anyone know?

No deal is still very, very unlikely, so I really wouldn't worry about this.

OP
OP
Saoshyant

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
No deal is still very, very unlikely, so I really wouldn't worry about this.

Yeah, in the same way that Trump becoming president was very unlikely or that the Brexit vote would win. Here's the thing: there's a lot of interest from the super rich, especially those from Russia and China, that no deal gets through. The economical chaos will be perfect for them to swoop in and buy whatever they want on the cheap -- and not only on the UK, since the chaos will spread into the continent.

You will find this sort of ads everywhere now:
QpQtJ7K.jpg

They are being paid by shell corporations owned by the super rich and it's the sort of ad that is extremely effective with people outside of London. Add in that the politicians are more worried about their seats than fixing the mess they caused and no deal is becoming more likely every day that gets by.

This isn't the place to discuss this sort of thing, but I'll bring your attention back to the actual topic of thread: in my opinion, people from the mainland should refrain from preordering anything from the UK that doesn't release before the end of March or risk getting hit by customs.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
No Deal is right now much more liklier then Getting A Deal.
I wish I was at this level of optimism, but No Deal looks much more likely than a Deal.
I don't think that's the case at all, although May's propaganda is definitely working if that's how you feel. Let's hope it works on the EU negotiators too so they can amend the backstop.

I think the chances of 'no deal' are far higher than I ever anticipated, but it's still the less likely scenario when it comes to the crunch. More likely Article 50 would be extended at the last minute if nothing could get voted through in time.

Retsudo

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think that's the case at all, although May's propaganda is definitely working if that's how you feel. Let's hope it works on the EU negotiators too so they can amend the backstop.

I think the chances of 'no deal' are far higher than I ever anticipated, but it's still the less likely scenario when it comes to the crunch. More likely Article 50 would be extended at the last minute if nothing could get voted through in time.

While there's a chance they will postpone Article 50, i see 0 chances the EU negotiators will fall for whatever May comes up with. They have said plenty of times "here's the deal, take it or leave it".

slinch

Jan 20, 2018
For some reason I'm not really too worried. Worst case scenario - no deal - we pay VAT in destination country instead of UK. Inexpensive items will actually end up even cheaper, as any value below 22€ will be exempt from import tax. At least until the new EU import VAT rules go into effect in 2021, then we're all screwed.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
For some reason I'm not really too worried. Worst case scenario - no deal - we pay VAT in destination country instead of UK. Inexpensive items will actually end up even cheaper, as any value below 22€ will be exempt from import tax. At least until the new EU import VAT rules go into effect in 2021, then we're all screwed.
Chances, that you have to go to the customs office are also increasing.

AerialAir

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Anyone from the EU tried buying anything from GAME recently? I can't log-in into my account, I get an "500 Internal Error" and I can't checkout as a guest as that requires a functioning UK phone number, and I don't have one, like, what?

peekaboo

Nov 4, 2017
It's not just about the money if you live in the UK. If you think Royal Mail has gone down the drain since it was privatised wait to see what happens when you add thousands more parcels to a customs system that will be totally unprepared for a No Deal. Best you can hope is that they don't misplace your parcels.

repeater

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know whether Nintendo Switch Online membership codes are country specific within Europe? I'm in Sweden but am thinking of buying a code from a UK site.

Cronen

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know whether Nintendo Switch Online membership codes are country specific within Europe? I'm in Sweden but am thinking of buying a code from a UK site.

For what it is worth, I bought a Nintendo Switch Online code yesterday from CDKeys that was listed as a European code (I'm in the UK). Worked fine.

TheDeep1974

Oct 26, 2017
Talking of Switch eShop codes. Can someone suggest me places where I can buy legit codes for a good price? Thanks!

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't the place to discuss this sort of thing, but I'll bring your attention back to the actual topic of thread: in my opinion, people from the mainland should refrain from preordering anything from the UK that doesn't release before the end of March or risk getting hit by customs.

I'd assume retailers would just e-mail and warn people if they need to. It safe to pre-order and cancel if need be.

#1 defender

Oct 27, 2017
pcgamesupply sell Australian cards at cost.

Thanks!

That would be fine, if i didn't also have to pay a 7€ processing fee for packages valued 22€ - 30€ (11€ for packages valued 31€ - 50€, etc...), on top of the VAT, which would ruin most decent deals.

You are right about cheaper items though, that could actually be beneficial, as long as it will last.

Last edited:

slinch

Jan 20, 2018
That would be fine, if i didn't also have to pay a 7€ processing fee for packages valued 22€ - 30€ (11€ for packages valued 31€ - 50€, etc...), on top of the VAT, which would ruin most decent deals.

You are right about cheaper items though, that could actually be beneficial, as long as it will last.

Yeah, our fees start at 7€ as well, which will definitely be a nuisance (though not really for me personally, because most of the stuff I buy from UK - records, BRs, cheap games - fall below the 22€), but nothing compared to what's coming in a couple of years, when all import tax exemptions will be removed and we'll have to pay VAT and fees on every single purchase from outside EU regardless of value. I just hope they plan to streamline the process and maybe even manage to get rid of the fees, because otherwise it's going to be a nightmare.

#1 defender

Oct 27, 2017
I bought few Indonesian cards from Seagm and didn't have any trouble. They also seem to have AU cards:
https://www.seagm.com/playstation-network-card-psn-australia

Thank you as well!

Yeah, our fees start at 7€ as well, which will definitely be a nuisance (though not really for me personally, because most of the stuff I buy from UK - records, BRs, cheap games - fall below the 22€), but nothing compared to what's coming in a couple of years, when all import tax exemptions will be removed and we'll have to pay VAT and fees on every single purchase from outside EU regardless of value. I just hope they plan to streamline the process and maybe even manage to get rid of the fees, because otherwise it's going to be a nightmare.

The biggest problem for me is that i've been importing all my games from the UK since the late PS2 era, many of them on release, as well as numerous blu-ray boxsets over the 22€ threshold that i wouldn't be able to get elsewhere (at least not region B friendly with english subs), so getting those types of items will become much more costly. I've actually preemptively ordered a few things now that have been on my Amazon.co.uk wishlist for ages, because waiting much longer for price drops will only end up being more costly for me after Brexit. I suppose it will also curb the number of games i'll be getting on release in the future, not that UK prices have been great in the last few years anyway.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you as well!

The biggest problem for me is that i've been importing all my games from the UK since the late PS2 era, many of them on release, as well as numerous blu-ray boxsets over the 22€ threshold that i wouldn't be able to get elsewhere (at least not region B friendly with english subs), so getting those types of items will become much more costly. I've actually preemptively ordered a few things now that have been on my Amazon.co.uk wishlist for ages, because waiting much longer for price drops will only end up being more costly for me after Brexit. I suppose it will also curb the number of games i'll be getting on release in the future, not that UK prices have been great in the last few years anyway.
Do most items not slip through customs where you are? I've order loads from outside EU and very rarely have I been stung for import taxes and fees, in fact only three times in like 20 years, and one was because GameStop US used UPS. Cheapo shipping options almost always slip through.

#1 defender

Oct 27, 2017
Do most items not slip through customs where you are? I've order loads from outside EU and very rarely have I been stung for import taxes and fees, in fact only three times in like 20 years, and one was because GameStop US used UPS. Cheapo shipping options almost always slip through.

Not in the last few years, sadly, although i rarely order stuff over 22€ from outside the EU anymore, so it's a small sample size. Last thing i ordered was Avatar TLA BD set from the US last fall. It cost around 30€ and got hit with another 14€ on top of it, not great. Should have bought the UK set instead. I did have many packages slip past customs when ordering from yesasia.com years ago, but my last order from them got held up at customs and i ended up paying extra for a 30€ limited edition blu-ray digipak that got slashed along the spine with a boxcutter, when they opened the package to inspect it.

slinch

Jan 20, 2018

Depends on where you're from I guess. I'm in Slovenia and here you're very unlikely to have your package slip through. If the value printed on the box is above $25 (roughly equivalent to 22€), I'll have to send proof of cost to customs 99% of the time. If the value is lower than that and the package looks like it could have cost more, it's 50:50. If the value is lower than $10, they'll consider it "fake value" and ask for proof of cost maybe 80% of the time. So yeah, having the package slip through is very unlikely. Though I did recently receive a $250 box from LRG and it did slip through, so that was a nice surprise :)

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Base has some great prices, PS4 games in euros:

COD BO4 - 33
Just Cause 4 - 26
KH3 - 44
Hitman 2 - 26
Ni no Kuni II - 13
Tetris Effect - 26

I highly recommend Tetris, even for those that don't have PSVR.

Deleted member 2328

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on where you're from I guess. I'm in Slovenia and here you're very unlikely to have your package slip through. If the value printed on the box is above $25 (roughly equivalent to 22€), I'll have to send proof of cost to customs 99% of the time. If the value is lower than that and the package looks like it could have cost more, it's 50:50. If the value is lower than $10, they'll consider it "fake value" and ask for proof of cost maybe 80% of the time. So yeah, having the package slip through is very unlikely. Though I did recently receive a $250 box from LRG and it did slip through, so that was a nice surprise :)
It didn't slip through, LRG uses a carrier that basically works as a proxy. The box enters the EU through another country (usually the UK) is processed by customs there and then is re-shipped to the true recipient.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Not really a cheap game question but more a question about UK release of DMC5. Why does Amazon have an exclusive Day One edition of DMC5, but doesn't list what that even is or has?

Deleted member 2328

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Someone would still have to pay though?
A combination of LRG's agreement with the carrier, what you pay for shipping, volume and lower taxing at customs (and maybe even some blind eye) make it worthwhile for the carrier. I don't know the business model in detail but LRG offers shipping with pre-paid customs to most EU countries.

slinch

Jan 20, 2018
A combination of LRG's agreement with the carrier, what you pay for shipping, volume and lower taxing at customs (and maybe even some blind eye) make it worthwhile for the carrier. I don't know the business model in detail but LRG offers shipping with pre-paid customs to most EU countries.

I paid $28 shipping on a $230 order. Tax alone should be over $50 so it definitely wasn't pre-paid. Definitely has to be someone somewhere turning a blind eye, not that I'm complaining :)

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Now that we can change regions in the PSN store, can I buy cards from another country? Will the codes work if I simply change the country?

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I checked cdkeys and the cheapest cards seem to be the Belgian ones. Will this work changing the country in the PSN?

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
But can you make purchases from foreign stores? I remember it saying you can change the storefront but not your region.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
Does using a vpn work with it? And, if so, does the purchase then work with your default account on the PlayStation?

slinch

Jan 20, 2018
I really don't understand why people are trying to jump through all these hoops and over-complicate something that's essentially really simple. I've had multiple PSN accounts since the PS3 days and always just but on the one that has the best price for whatever I'm looking for.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I really don't understand why people are trying to jump through all these hoops and over-complicate something that's essentially really simple. I've had multiple PSN accounts since the PS3 days and always just but on the one that has the best price for whatever I'm looking for.
Simple is for me using one account for everything.