• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Losing Uber would really suck. Nothing (except lyft I guess) can compare in terms of speed and convenience. I've been fucked over hard by cab companies at critical timers- never true with Uber.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Uber's plan is to have self driving cars, so it will depend a lot on how fast big cities (big plural here) will let them deploy their autonomous fleat. Otherwise...

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I know a lot of people at Uber HQ (well, less now than I did before).

It's like the walking dead over there. Tons of people that expected to be set for life from equity, and took reduced salaries because of that. Now...we'll now they are kinda fucked.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Uber's plan is to have self driving cars, so it will depend a lot on how fast big cities (big plural here) will let them deploy their autonomous fleat. Otherwise...
That's the problem: we are further away from the driverless car revolution than they ever expected. It'll happen, but not in time to save them.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I know a lot of people at Uber HQ (well, less now than I did before).

It's like the walking dead over there. Tons of people that expected to be set for life from equity, and took reduced salaries because of that. Now...we'll now they are kinda fucked.
I've talked to people who think they can make a career out of driving for Uber. I mean, strike the iron while it is hot, but that job won't be sustainable in the long run.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Uber the company might go away, the concept of ride sharing won't. You can't put that genie back in the bottle.
Hopefully not. I keep reading scary stuff about Uber in here, but at least in Mexico, many drivers are doing fine using the service, albeit with a bit of issues but my brother-in-law is definitely making a living out of driving for them and aside from incidents here and there, they're more safe than regular cab drivers in here. So yeah, even if the company is gone, many are trying Cabify, Bolt or DiDi, no way we're back to using those shady ass taxis that are used in crimes, or have reports of being used by the drug cartels and whatnot.

Here's hoping the employees get a better solution and are fully protected, but at least in here, they would be far worse driving the "legit" taxis.

Kidjr

Feb 27, 2018
I don't understand how a company like Lyft isn't profitable. There's like no overhead; they pay the drivers shit.

What, I used to recruit data scientists for uber, they have HUGE overheads from staffing costs from the back end/production
I don't understand the economics of these businesses at all, but in the completely opposite way.

How can Uber NOT make money? It is an app, and the app works, and it's basically done. Every time I order an Uber I pay the company some money for basically no work on their part. Give the driver a cut, take a cut yourself, call it good. It should be easily profitable. Same logic applies to the rest of these delivery apps. I get that it costs money to update and maintain the app etc but c'mon... What am I missing here?

Licencing fee's and I'm sure other stuff but the biggest has to be staff costs (which are huge, uber staff are some of the best paid in regards to software engineers, product managers, data scientists, customer support, marketing etc). Quick search on my linkedin corporate account said there are currently 80,000+ employees at uber world wide. The belief (i believe) was that there income would eventually grow faster then their cost base because its such a great idea and hey I'm just going to take over the world.

This idea isnt uncommon at all but alot of people dont take into account regulatory hurdles, competition, eording margins etc.

Alot point to amazon as a company that didnt make a profit for a lllllllllllllooooooonnnnggg time but they eveneutally monopolised the market and forced it into turning a profit (also by being pretty amazing in certain aspects of what they do).

But for all these companies, it's mainly staffing costs man.

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
Could someone ELI5 why these companies aren't doing well

These companies are offering services below cost which gains them users but loses them money.

They have now amassed so much debt that servicing their debt costs a substantial portion of income making even a fair pricing level uncompetitive and unprofitable.

All these companies tried to become Too Big To Fail but ddidn't since taxis, food delivery and other service apps are replacable with little lock in there will always be competition.

jakomocha

Oct 29, 2017
California
I honestly can't really envision a world without ridesharing apps now that they've taken off, especially for cities with horrible public transit (LA, Houston). As a college student, they're literally my method of transportation 90% of the time.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Because they are losing money on every ride. Their plan was to come in, drive out taxi companies with cheapness and convenience, and then start raising prices, but their service was replicable and now they can't afford to raise prices. People will just go to Lyft or something else.

So it's gonna be a game of who blinks first between Uber and Lyft? At this point, ride shares are so big and convenient that I'm sure a whole lot of people will pay more to not use a taxi. They may lose some customers but if they're actually making money on a ride vs not I don't see how that isn't preferable.

But yeah if one raised the price the other would benefit tremendously. So I guess they'll wait until the other gives up, or they both go down. And even then, what's to stop some other player from coming in and cutting prices. It just seems like a shitty industry.

If only public transportation wasn't so shit.

Dec 22, 2017
Could someone ELI5 why these companies aren't doing well

None of them are profitable business models. They are selling an idea, and were pumped full of cash by investors trying to get in early with the hope they would be worth more later.

Some of these were legitimate new ideas that disrupted the world (uber) some are existing ideas, polished with SV bullshit (WeWork) and some are just completely stupid and have no chance of existing without investors subsidizing their cash flow (electric scooter companies that all popped up overnight).

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thrilled at the prospect of trading:

"I can see exactly where my driver is on GPS" to "Your taxicab will be there in 45 minutes... or not, 'cause the driver might just flake out and leave you, and there's no way to track him."

Dammit.

I'm assuming this is the American experience? I use normal taxi cab companies very regularly in the UK and never had any problem. Usually it's a 5-10 minute wait and if the service is running late for some reason they always inform me in case i want to cancel. And i never once had a driver not show. Same thing in other European countries as well.

I obviously have no idea about the American reality regarding taxi companies, but from where i'm standing this whole ride sharing thing always seemed like a solution for an inexistent problem. Which is actually the modus operandi of most VC tech enterprises. Create a problem for your solution.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming this is the American experience? I use normal taxi cab companies very regularly in the UK and never had any problem. Usually it's a 5-10 minute wait and if the service is running late for some reason they always inform me in case i want to cancel. And i never once had a driver not show. Same thing in other European countries as well.

I obviously have no idea about the American reality regarding taxi companies, but from where i'm standing this whole ride sharing thing always seemed like a solution for an inexistent problem. Which is actually the modus operandi of most VC tech enterprises. Create a problem for your solution.

Taxis in America are notoriously awful and racist.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017

Acquila

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand the economics of these businesses at all, but in the completely opposite way.

How can Uber NOT make money? It is an app, and the app works, and it's basically done. Every time I order an Uber I pay the company some money for basically no work on their part. Give the driver a cut, take a cut yourself, call it good. It should be easily profitable. Same logic applies to the rest of these delivery apps. I get that it costs money to update and maintain the app etc but c'mon... What am I missing here?

Uber needs to price its fares cheap enough to entice passengers, but also need to pay drivers enough to get people to drive for them. They didn't, and all these years they've just been coasting along with investor money.

Employing people costs money, and there are many overhead costs associated with a company their size.

I mean even just one developer costs maybe 100k a year.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
All these companies pass on the lion's share of overhead to their "contractors". Gas, and maintenance? that shit can add up quick

Nov 17, 2017
Wow I had no idea this was what the plan was for Uber and that they're basically losing money in every ride. Really interesting. I can imagine a life without rideshare apps but it definitely would be an adjustment to go back as it basically replaced public transportation for me. I'm sure if Uber and Lyft go down, something will replace them though.

I'm still unsure as to what these things actually are. Uber is basically just a taxi service right and the food stuff is you pay someone to collect your takeaway for you if the place you're ordering from doesn't deliver? I've never been in a situation where any of that sounds useful, no wonder they're failing.
You've never been in a situation where you needed a ride somewhere?

I've used it after a night out drinking to get home, to get to locations that aren't reachable directly and easily by public transportation or even when I need to get somewhere really quickly. It's convenient and easy to use and it's relatively cheap.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
The problem with these apps is that these VC expect to see infinite growth so they can all be billionaires.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow I had no idea this was what the plan was for Uber and that they're basically losing money in every ride. Really interesting. I can imagine a life without rideshare apps but it definitely would be an adjustment to go back as it basically replaced public transportation for me. I'm sure if Uber and Lyft go down, something will replace them though.

You've never been in a situation where you needed a ride somewhere?

I've used it after a night out drinking to get home, to get to locations that aren't reachable directly and easily by public transportation or even when I need to get somewhere really quickly. It's convenient and easy to use and it's relatively cheap.
I would just call the taxi service instead.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like WeWork is on a while other level of crazy compared to these other companies. They all suffer from one root issue where they pretend like they've invented some proprietary tech when in reality the underlying principle the company is based on isn't hard to copy. So they grow and grow as if they're the only game in town, when they absolutely aren't.

TheDoctor

Oct 27, 2017
Deliveroo lost $284 million last year.
Food delivery just isn't profitable at current prices. They are trying to force out the competition, but it's not working.
Yeah, it's the 'winner takes all' model.

Takeaway.com (which will be merging with JustEat) is now turning a small profit. It's the market leader in Germany and the Netherlands among others. It ended up spending nearly €1 Billion on two acquisitions alone to get to this point.

BreakyBoy

Oct 27, 2017
I mean even just one developer costs maybe on average, at least 100k a year.

FTFY. My bet would be closer to 150k as the average salary for a software engineer at their HQ.

Infrastructure, ongoing maintenance, plus R&D for those self-driving cars that will "save them" and new features for their core services (to keep up/beat out Lyft and friends who are doing the same).

And yeah, as others have said, the average fare customers pay do not cover the actual cost even before a lot of those non-core costs like R&D. Turns out that ride share fares being 30-70% less than the average taxi fare wasn't all about addressing "market inefficiencies".

Oct 25, 2017
Ridesharing does not replace public transport. It fills in the gaps with public transport. As someone without a car sometime you miss the last bus or need to go to the ER late at night. Ridesharing is indispensable for this, I literally could not maintain an eco-friendly lifestyle without it. Taxis were never able to really deal with this, and so even if prices go up it will stick around but it will make life worse for many. Automation is really the only way out.

If cities were smart they would subsidize ridesharing or create their own.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Nah, I had the same experience (Latin America). Taxi companies were and still mostly are garbage, they only improved a little because of ride sharing apps.

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've talked to people who think they can make a career out of driving for Uber. I mean, strike the iron while it is hot, but that job won't be sustainable in the long run.
Drivers to Uber are legally contractors. So they don't have the same rights of benefits as a Taxi driver would.
So Uber is doubly shit as a job.

alex.magnus

Oct 28, 2017
Nah, I had the same experience (Latin America). Taxi companies were and still mostly are garbage, they only improved a little because of ride sharing apps.
I believe tho that it really depends on location. on average public transport in Italy is pretty bad but in my city it actually works quite nice. never had problems with taxi in general in the country tho

Oct 27, 2017
We've always had local food delivery services and local taxis, way before all these startups came along. Restaurants would deliver with their own drivers even, some still do! Responsiveness of local taxis has been a problem since time immemorial.