• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sylar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey Guys,

Wondering if any of you have a reccomendation for a cheapish ($1k to 2k) camera to use for productions and video recordings? The company I work for now is looking to buy one and we want to do something a bit more professional than iphone recordings...think something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTjqP1ZzhJA

Anyways, i was looking at the Sony PXW-X70 but was kind of turned off by the microtransactions for a physical product. So I am coming to you guys and hopefully ya'll have a reccomendatioN! :D

Thanks for the help.

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City
Which microtransactions? The ones from PlayMemories? Those are just automatizated actions that you can do manually, don't need them at all.

Check the Sony A7S 2.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people just use digital cameras like DSLRs or mirrorless cameras for video recording these days.

I've heard the Sony A6000 is a great camera, but I don't know how it stands in terms of video recording.

OP
OP
Sylar

Sylar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Which microtransactions? The ones from PlayMemories? Those are just automatizated actions that you can do manually, don't need them at all.

Check the Sony A7S 2.

You have to pay a microtransaction of like $500 to unlock 4k mode...

Chopchop, I actuall yhave a good DSLR, never even thought of using that, wonder what the quality is like?

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City
For video you'll need one with good ISO levels, which one do you have? The quality of today DSLRs are amazing for cheap video productions, if you have a not so old camera just invest that money in lenses with OIS and nice aperture, some portable LED lights, an súper important, don't cheap out on a good mic (check the RODE VIDEO MIC PRO, the plus version just came out so you can find nice sales on it) people can tolerate a not so crisp looking video, but they never forgive one with bad audio.

Homeworkfilms

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Panasonic four thirds are pretty much the standard bearers in low cost but high quality recording. Sony is probably the main competitor but is generally slightly more expensive. The GH5 just hit this year and seems to be pretty great after some firmware updates. I bought the G85 as a lower cost alternative that also shoots great 4k. The GH4 is now a couple years old but still a great production camera. Obviously factor in extra gear like lenses and tripods.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1283257-REG/panasonic_dmc_gh5_mirrorless_micro_four.html#!

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

Check the Sony A7S 2.
Seconding the ii, tho if you don't need 4k, do a used mk I and spend money on nice glass.

Or other accessories needed for good quality video production.

OP
OP
Sylar

Sylar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
4k isnt good for exclusive web videos? I mean I know it's not super adapted but.

Thank you all for the help, going to look at everything...didn't know DSLR's could be that good for video also.

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City
4K is good, but you will get better results at 1080p with a nice sharp lens than 4K with some kit lens one. Also most 4K current cameras record at just 30fps. With 1080 you can record in 24fps for your content and also 60fps for more dinamic scenes (think those panning shots that go fast, then go in slowmo and then fast again)

If you go the A7S II route, there is the FE 28mm 2.0 is a great lens for film making, sharp, not so expensive and with a nice aperture

OP
OP
Sylar

Sylar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thats a good point, thanks.

I'm going to look into the a7s then. It would be nice ot have a better digital camera also. This is probably a silly question but is the quality going to be a super massive jump up from the iphone 8s video recording capabilities?

Homeworkfilms

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Why 4k is all the rage is that it indicates the camera has the head room to do all the other types of filming mentioned above. So a good 4k camera will have all sorts of shooting options for slow motion shooting and what not.

Homeworkfilms

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Also 4k allows you to edit at 1080p and discard unwanted parts of the frame. It really helps for smoothing out footage that is a little shaky or cutting out that errant mic. Worth having these days.

Flo_Evans

Oct 25, 2017
GH5 all day. It also has "microtransactions" (for the log color profile) though :P

and yes, I almost always capture in 4k if I can even if delivering in 1080p.

if you are just a an amateur Sony A7 is fine but for pro use they overheat too much and the battery dies too fast. Also totally shit screen for focusing and exposure.

Trust me... GH5.

Flo_Evans

Oct 25, 2017
Best bet for any major equipment purchase is to rent one first and see what you like ;)

I'm not sure if anyone has made one yet but I'm sure there will be a camera equipment megathread and a filmmaking thread.

OP
OP
Sylar

Sylar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah theres one in hangouts i'll ask around too. thanks either way for everyones help :)

If I get a GH5 what lens would you reccomend for like straight up video recording? Also is there a rig you would suggest for recording with it?

Homeworkfilms

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The answer for lenses is it depends. Stock four thirds lenses it is good to get a stabilized zoom for everyday recording. Most kit lenses are actually pretty good. Generally you want a fast lens for lower light. Single focal length lenses are cheaper and generally faster. a 24 mm (12mm four thirds) lens is generally great for wider angle shooting. 50mm (25mm four thirds) is fantastic for a natural or portrait look. The pros will probably direct you to a meta bones speed booster that increases the light entering the camera and allowing you to put on a faster 35mm body lens like the Sigma 1.8. All that said you would probably do best to start with a quality stock zoom lens and go from there. Experiment with what lengths you usually shoot from and what kind of lighting conditions you shoot under.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...nes_mb_spef_m43_bt3_canon_ef_micro_4_3_t.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/967344-REG/sigma_18_35mm_f1_8_dc_hsm.html#!

Rigs vary a lot. Honestly just a good tripod to start. If you are moving a lot consider a lighter weight travel option. If you are incorporating a lot of movement be prepared to spend a decent chunk on a Steadicam or a gimble. With that said consider focusing on in camera stabilization when buying. Modern cameras can help a lot with the right setup. The GH5 with a stabilized lens is pretty stable without extra equipment.

Homeworkfilms

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
That is why I bought the Panasonic G85. Maybe check it out. It is the little brother to the GH5. About half the price. Also consider a used GH4. Lots around used. Great camera at a great price.

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City
Yeah, whatever brand you choose
A7S II ;)
you don't need the most new ones, you can find previous generations on sale or second hand, and they will give you excelents results

OP
OP
Sylar

Sylar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess it's one thing if these came with kit lenses or something, sucks you have to seek out and still buy like $600 lenses for them. But I guess it's all worth it in the end, and definitely have some options to consider now. Thanks all.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For that price range, probably Panasonic GH5 if you're really going for video primarily.

I would recommend the Sony A7S II, but it's more expensive and an improved model is surely just around the corner. Also, you probably don't even need (or want) full frame if video is your primary concern, unless you're all about that bokeh.

OP
OP
Sylar

Sylar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So i'm thinking maybe a used GH4, they range at about $900 which isn't bad. Hoping I won't regret not going with the GH5 but thats three times the price of the GH4 so :shrug:

That said, i want to get a Sigma for it too, but i'd like on ethat would also work on my low level Canon Rebel t6, and would need the proper mount for the GH5, do you guys know exactly what I should buy?

And is this a good plan? :P

tino

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you want to do the youtuber thing, go with a recent Panasonic body, GX8 for example.