• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should Trainers and Cheating be allowed in Single Player Games

• Yes, as long as it is Single Player its ok

Votes: 1,084 95.7%
  • No, cheating is cheating no matter where it happens.

Votes: 49 4.3%

• Total voters

Kater

Oct 25, 2017
Yes please. I get stuck on difficult fights and if it happens enough I will enable god mode (either through a mod or a trainer).

Games would just come with a god mode setting in a better world (like in the game called "The World Next Door").

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Nothing wrong with cheating in single player games, it doesn't negatively affect anyone else's experience.

Oct 28, 2017
Cheating to fuck about with the game, to break it and see how it reacts? Fine. Cheating because you're bad at the game? Bad.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
the ten people that voted no are the same people that get irrationally angry at speedrunners

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I believe that when you pay a company $60 for the privilege of playing their **single player* game, I should be allowed to do whatever the hell i want with it. I'm not hurting anyone else and people have different ways they enjoy games. Who am I, or who is anyone to criticize or restrict what I do in my fucking single player game? Why does anyone even CARE wtf. Leave people the hell alone and let them enjoy games on THEIR terms ffs!

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I used a trainer on my first run of Dark Souls and I still love that game to death. If it helps you enjoy a game, go for it.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
You cheated not only the game, but yourself.

You didn't grow.
You didn't improve.
You took a shortcut and gained nothing.

You experienced a hollow victory.
Nothing was risked and nothing was gained.

It's sad that you don't know the difference.

Came to say this

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Hell yes. I work full time and I can only spend like 10 hours a week gaming. My backlog currently stands at around 70 games. Trainers all the way.

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
Ofcourse it is ok. That's how I plan to play(if I ever play them again) Ubisoft games seeing how they incentivise more grind through xp boosters. Fuck that shit.

Apr 19, 2018
I've only used a trainer just once in my life, and it was to get around that Resident Evil 2 One-Shot demo time limit, heh.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Cheating to fuck about with the game, to break it and see how it reacts? Fine. Cheating because you're bad at the game? Bad.

Why is cheating if you are bad at the game bad if that is more fun to people? Who cares that I used cheatengine to make sekiro easier because I wasn't great at it. Hurt nobody and I had more fun.

Seahawk64

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't used em in a long time but I don't see the problem with anyone using them.

Whatever helps you enjoy the game.

Dan8589

Banned
May 30, 2019
Let me be clear, if you cheat in a single player game you're not only cheating the game, you're cheating yourself out of satisfaction. You experienced a hollow victory, a complete waste of time.

Wouldnt the waste of time be where you play identical missions 50 times to level up enough to progress a story? That's why I use trainers sometimes, fuck their tactics in attempting to force me to buy xp boosters.

Oct 28, 2017
Why is cheating if you are bad at the game bad if that is more fun to people? Who cares that I used cheatengine to make sekiro easier because I wasn't great at it. Hurt nobody and I had more fun.

Because the game has clearly intended levels of difficulty as per what the dev has decided. Beating the game with cheats just isn't right. Shitting on the vision and all that.

I personally only really enjoy being challenged in games, otherwise I get bored as hell in the end.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Almost as if devs could stop us from cheating in SP games.

I legit dont even think about it in most SP games I play, once ive gone through the main story or gone far enough that I feel myself getting bored......Cheat Engine opens. And I start tinkering.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Because the game has clearly intended levels of difficulty as per what the dev has decided. Beating the game with cheats just isn't right. Shitting on the vision and all that.

I personally only really enjoy being challenged in games, otherwise I get bored as hell in the end.

There is a difference between not enjoying using cheats yourself (which is fine) and saying others shouldn't do it (which is dumb).

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
My little nephew loves cuphead PC, he's 5, so if I can give him a better experience with infinite HP to make him feel like a rockstar against its difficulty, so be it. But I wouldn't say, use it to make items appear to help 100% a Yakuza game.

I use it on Yakuza games because I don't want to grind to unlock moves. especially because I've done it on PS4 before

stersauce

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
san jose, ca
there was some guy on the old forum who said console gamers were more honest than pc gamers because didn't have accessible cheats for single player games

it was the hottest of takes

Oct 28, 2017
There is a difference between not enjoying using cheats yourself (which is fine) and saying others shouldn't do it (which is dumb).

Others shouldn't because they cheat themselves out of the experience of conquering a game when they first found it a challenge.

Just look at the tonnes of stories of people who never gave up with Dark Souls, or came back later after quitting, and falling in love with the games after saddling the difficulty. Same kinds of stories exist with fighting games.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Others shouldn't because they cheat themselves out of the experience of conquering a game when they first found it a challenge.

Just look at the tonnes of stories of people who never gave up with Dark Souls, or came back later after quitting, and falling in love with the games after saddling the difficulty. Same kinds of stories exist with fighting games.

Others should do whatever they want. I would have quit sekiro if I wasn't on PC and could cheat. Instead I could adapt the difficulty myself and had fun. Saying what I did is bad or not right is very dumb.

OP
OP
Mega1X

Mega1X

The Fallen
Jun 4, 2018
You cheated not only the game, but yourself.

You didn't grow.
You didn't improve.
You took a shortcut and gained nothing.

You experienced a hollow victory.
Nothing was risked and nothing was gained.

It's sad that you don't know the difference.

What if the victory was already achieved and your just messing around in a new game with same difficulty? So like for example, I already completed the game with no cheats and in a legit way, and I want to play it again from the beginning but this time, unlimited ammo and health, would that make a difference?

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
Do whatever you want in single player games. Fuck anyone who says otherwise. If thats the way a person enjoys a game then so what?

I've recently used an exploit to max my level in Assassins Creed Odyessy because fuck slowly unlocking all that shit. Get fucked Ubi.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
It's fine. I don't love it in the fact that I like to compare achievements tho. It fucks up my comparisons with people. If I suspected it and you aren't irl friend, I might unfollow. But, if it is how you enjoy your game, who is to tell you differently?

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Why would anyone care how someone else enjoys a singleplayer offline game.

Like seriously, who are you 17 people.

Oct 28, 2017
Others should do whatever they want. I would have quit sekiro if I wasn't on PC and could cheat. Instead I could adapt the difficulty myself and had fun. Saying what I did is bad or not right is very dumb.

Its not very dumb. I've clearly laid out why I think you're cheating yourself out of an experience, something that can be very rewarding and is often a tweaked experience by the developers. Sure, not every game has difficulty options, but there'll be a reason for that.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Its not very dumb. I've clearly laid out why I think you're cheating yourself out of an experience, something that can be very rewarding and is often a tweaked experience by the developers. Sure, not every game has difficulty options, but there'll be a reason for that.

You assume I would have had that experience which is not true. I would have never played the game again at all. Instead I had fun, by cheating, which impacted nobody. At all.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
I think any cheater should be tried in court, honestly. This isn't what the developers intended for their audience and if they want to break the laws of the game then they probably have no respect for the laws of their country.