• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should Trainers and Cheating be allowed in Single Player Games

• Yes, as long as it is Single Player its ok

Votes: 1,084 95.7%
  • No, cheating is cheating no matter where it happens.

Votes: 49 4.3%

• Total voters

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Lifes too short to do the sled level in Asterix and Obelix XXL dozens upon dozens of times to amass enough roman helmets to buy the crowd clearing combos you need to get through some of the dynasty warriors esque sections in the last chunk of the game.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Still cheated yourself out of the experience. If you're not good enough, that's just how it is. Quit the game and find something else.

Why? I had a fun experience by cheating. You keep saying I robbed me out of a experience but now you say I should have quit which.... would have robbed me of the fun experience of playing the game with cheats........

Oct 25, 2017
Still cheated yourself out of the experience. If you're not good enough, that's just how it is. Quit the game and find something else.
This is the stupidest thing ever. "You're cheating yourself out the experience! You should just have no experience instead!"

A person has the right to choose their experience with a game if they have the power to do so. They have the right to accept the risk that their experience may ultimately be diminished due to their cheating. There is no actual argument against this.

Oct 28, 2017
This is the stupidest thing ever. "You're cheating yourself out the experience! You should just have no experience instead!"

A person has the right to choose their experience with a game if they have the power to do so. They have the right to accept the risk that their experience may ultimately be diminished due to their cheating. There is no actual argument against this.

When did I say my opinion was definitive? I'm saying I think its stupid to cheat yourself out of the experience, and yes, if you're not good enough, just quit or keep ploughing away until you are. Shortcutting yourself is just a lot of rubbish in my view. Its not the same payoff of finally mastering the mechanics and kicking the shit out of whatever challenge is in your way.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Cheats and trainers should absolutely be allowed in SP games, it literally hurts no one. I would never try to force anyone to play a game the way I play them, it makes no sense. People like different things.

Certain types of cheats almost exclusively make some games more fun.

Damn true. GTA games are fun without cheats, but after you beat them, trainers and cheats immediately gave you more to do. Some gamers don't seem to realize that cheats can actually extend the replay value of a game as well.

Borderlands games by yourself? Way too easy. Using cheats to make them 4x times as hard? Perfect.

The old Jedi Knight games had spawning cheats, I would make my own scenarios in Bespin Streets that culminated in fights between 100 Jedi and 100 Sith, in a game where at most it would be 5 vs 5. It's still some of the most fun I ever had in a Star Wars game.

Shame that as far as I can see, VR games don't have trainers. Sometimes I just want to unload into a room with infinite ammo and kill 100 sausages like Rambo in Hot Dogs, Horseshoes, and Hand Grenades, but that's not an option.

discotrigger

Oct 25, 2017
Beat the game first, but after that you should feel free to go crazy! You can get a ton of replay value out of enabling weird cheats, breaking intended progression, or experiencing the game differently when you're invincible or overpowered.

However, if you plan to use cheats merely to avoid a challenge in the first place, I would have to say a hard no on that. To me, that's antithetical to the medium itself. There are certainly games that aren't about challenging yourself, but the vast majority rightly demand some amount of skill and without that it's essentially empty. I personally abhor the idea that making games a cakewalk is 'progress'. Most games include an easy mode these days, and that makes sense for people with a low skill level since presumably it's still challenging for them. That should be more than enough.

Of course, some games have what we might call 'unfair difficulty', in which case it becomes more ambiguous. However, I would say that if you aren't happy with a particularly punishing game, just don't play it. Unless it's an arcade classic with unimaginative, bullshit difficulty that is meant to get more quarters out of you, game progress is not owed to you simply for owning the game.

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
Completely ok as long as it is single player.
I cheated in some games where the grinding was a little to much for me.

Oct 25, 2017
When did I say my opinion was definitive? I'm saying I think its stupid to cheat yourself out of the experience, and yes, if you're not good enough, just quit or keep ploughing away until you are. Shortcutting yourself is just a lot of rubbish in my view. Its not the same payoff of finally mastering the mechanics and kicking the shit out of whatever challenge is in your way.
I took the point of the thread to be is it okay, like in a moral sense. That goes beyond opinions.

It's fine if you personally wouldn't cheat for the reasons you've stated but surely you can see that just because it's ruins something for you doesn't mean it ruins anything for someone else. Your suggestion that they just play something else is the part that I had to respond to because it's absurd.

Games are a fun diversion, not a test of character.

Deleted member 43872

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 24, 2018
It's very well established in games studies that people play video games for a lot of different reasons, with cascading implications for their experience and behavior within a game. You and I are both "achievers" in the old Bartle taxonomy, but many other types of players simply don't get the same satisfaction from overcoming a difficult challenge. It's unfair to act like everyone experiences games exactly like you do.

Last edited:

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its not very dumb. I've clearly laid out why I think you're cheating yourself out of an experience, something that can be very rewarding and is often a tweaked experience by the developers. Sure, not every game has difficulty options, but there'll be a reason for that.
You really haven't, as I'm not cheating myself out of anything if ryats not an experience I'm interested in having to begin with. I'm an adult; I know my likes and dislikes, what I'm interested in and what I'm not, the experiences I want to have and those I don't. I know myself and my preferences better than a developer can know some random individual player like me and if I feel Cheat Engine/trainers will make my experience in any particular game better, I'm the one in the best position to know that and if I'm making that decision I'm not going to feel cheated out of any experiences as those obviously weren't ones I was interested in having or else I wouldn't use them to begin with.

Just endlessly retorting with "but the developers! The developers!" makes no sense since I'm the one playing the game, not them, and as an individual player, and not some mass or average or whatever, I'm most likely to know my tastes best.

And sometimes that means using cheats in single-player games, and I have no Shane about that whatsoever, since that's harming nobody else in any way whatsoever and is IN FACT the experience I want to have with those games, no matter how much it seems to be breaking your brain that time people can personally, as individuals get the most personal enjoyment out of games in ways developers may not have intended.

And to be perfectly clear, less I be misconstrued, of course there's nothing wrong eitg playing games the intentional way if that's what's most fun for someone. But nor is there anything wrong or ate people "cheating themselves out if the experience by using cheats/trainers" if said experience is not one they want to have to begin with and using said cheats/trainers makes the game more fun for them and gives them the experience with the game they wanted to have from the very beginning. I don't get what's so complicated about that.

Aegis Renfro

Jan 11, 2018
People have been cheating in video games for decades now. Cheating is engrained as a major part of the culture. Nobody cares.

That Contra code? A cheat.
The Mike Tyson code? Cheat.
Warp zones in Mario? You cheated.
Pausing the game in Mega Man 1 or Blaster Master? Cheater.
Entering your name as "ZELDA"? You're a cheat.
Adjusting your system clock in Batman Arkham or Animal Crossing or Metal Gear Solid 3? Cheater, cheater, pumpkin eater.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now that I find myself with less and less time to play games I've made a pact with myself to only play a long game that's either a) got a super easy mode that prevents me from losing (think Persona 4 and 5) or b) has cheats that let me breeze my way through the game (think FF7 and 9 on PS4). If a game doesn't have either of these two things, I'll now skip it. So yes, cheating in single player games doesn't matter. Do it if you want.

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
It's your time, the most precious commodity in the world, so everyone should do as they see fit when dealing with SP games and cheats.
A big no in MP games of course.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me of the mini hissy fit that the Souls community had over the respec option. Some people just can't bear the thought that what they slaved away for hours trying to achieve is not some sacred honorable duty and that everyone else feels like banging their head over.

Some people maybe get 2 hours to play games at most a week, if that. Why do you care what or how they go about playing their games?

Shifty Capone

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I just recently beat AC Odyssey in 30 hours. The only way that I could achieve that was to make myself level 50. The game scales everywhere too, which made me feel better about it. I don't have as much time to play games as I used to, but I really wanted to see the narrative and experience the game without having to grind. I didn't want to do any side activities unless I wanted to see them. I ended up killing every cultist and generally exploring most islands. The only way I was able to do that was to use CE to give me experience. It made that game so, so much more enjoyable for me.

Completely single player. Game wasn't even connected to the internet at all. If I couldn't have done that I don't think I would have even purchased the game in the first place after hearing it would take 80+ hours to see a lot of the content.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Of course.

Cheat, mod, skip parts of the game.

You paid for the product and your not harming anyone else doing it.

Some games ive bought on PC have been a bore in combat, so i just cheat it and it instantly makes my experience much better

Hoping to redo my persona 1 run with full cheats, just because that combat is horrifically boring and i want to get to the story beats.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But I don't want to play something else. I want to play the games I want to play in my own way, while harming no one. Playing something else is not an answer to that.

Why is it that only the developers' vision matters? Why so I have to olsy something else? Why can't I play my games my own way, whole harming no one? Why does thatvween to bother you, and why's it matter if I play the games the developer-intended way or my way at all? Why's it matter if I'm cheating myself out of a particular experience if that's not an experience I'm interested in having to begin with and my way is more fun for me as an individual? Who are you to tell me to play something else instead and why does it bother you to that extent to suggest such a thing instead of just adopting a live and let live approach? I fundamentally do not get reactions like this in any level, being that much of a busy body over how people choose to have fun with products made for people to have fun with.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
People have been cheating in video games for decades now. Cheating is engrained as a major part of the culture. Nobody cares.

That Contra code? A cheat.
The Mike Tyson code? Cheat.
Warp zones in Mario? You cheated.
Pausing the game in Mega Man 1 or Blaster Master? Cheater.
Entering your name as "ZELDA"? You're a cheat.
Adjusting your system clock in Batman Arkham or Animal Crossing or Metal Gear Solid 3? Cheater, cheater, pumpkin eater.

Don't forget the continue in super mario bros A+start, or the shell trick to get infinite 1ups ...
Or the pressing of 2P cross to help in duck hunt...
Or playing manually at Giromite instead of with ROB...
They are all dirty dirty cheaters, and me the first.

Oct 25, 2017
Should they be....allowed?
Are they ever really "allowed?"
They're generally exploit programs. I don't think any of them are officially sanctioned.
And exploits are already actively fought in multiplayer scenarios for obvious reasons.

But as to whether or not I support trainers used in single player, sure. I don't care. Nobody cares. Do what you want. Regulate yourself in whatever way makes you happy.
Most of the time I don't use them, but occasionally after beating a single player game I'll use one to get boat loads of game cash to go on a shopping spree before I drop the game.
And can you even really say you've fully experienced what Halo CE has to offer if you've never fucked around with bump possession or medusa's glare?

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
I don't do it often, but if I wanna breeze through an RPG to experience the story again, I'll toss on some cheats to stop battles from happening. I don't see any issue with cheats in single player games. Multiplayer, on the other hand, ought to get folks banned for life for cheats.

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
What does it matter if gamers want to use cheats when playing a single player game? It literally affects no one but themselves.

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
Why would I have an issue with it outside of multiplayer where you're impacting other player's experiences?

I've typically never used cheats and if I'm just starting a new game, I still don't. As I find myself having less time to play stuff though, I'm a lot more open to it if I discover there's stuff in the vanilla game I can't be arsed to deal with. I recently played Vampire:TMB for the first time and after about 10 hours I found that I was only really interested in the politics of the setting and the dialogue sequences, so I just gave myself unlimited ammo, god mode and noclipped my way through everything in between.

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
You cheated not only the game, but yourself.

You didn't grow.
You didn't improve.
You took a shortcut and gained nothing.

You experienced a hollow victory.
Nothing was risked and nothing was gained.

It's sad that you don't know the difference.
This is some grade A bs

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
My friends and I all had Game Genies for our NES, Genesis, and SNES growing up, then GameSharks after that. It was always completely normal. Cheating to finish a game is better than not finishing it at all.

1td5z63.jpg

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
I use them all the time for pretty much most games on PC, literally the reason I prefer playing and buying multiplatform titles on PC, that plus gamesaves and mods.

Also depending on the game it extends my playtime a whole lot. I complete the game like normal, want to try out some cool stuff that you can unlock post game but it'll take a while, I either skip game altogether or use cheats to give myself whatever I want and continue playing, trying out all the cool new stuff. If I want to replay a certain boss or encounter it might be I have to spend a few hours or more replaying to get back to that area, I can just download a gamesave or use cheats to be able to replay straight away, otherwise again I'm probably not going to be bothered spending those hours. If I want to just play around/experiment with the combat in a game but not have to worry about my health then god mode it is.

So many more examples I can give but you get the gist, love that stuff.

Banana Aeon

Oct 30, 2017
While the only game that I used a mod to make "easier" was Dragon's Dogma (a rebalancing mod and higher encumbrance) single player trainers are whatever. I don't think they'll make your experience better, but do you.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
I believe there is some merits to the take "it takes away from the experience", but only on certain cases.

One extreme example. Super Meat Boy. I believe this game is all about the challenge and gameplay. If someone cheats on it, it does make the experience worse. I wouldn't advice it.

But let's look at Celeste. In some ways it's like Super Meat Boy, a very good and challenging plataformer. Yet Celeste has other things to offer the player as well, I find it's story extremely sweet and if someone needs to "cut corners" to experience the full game I'd say go for it. It might take away from the gameplay aspect (and in some ways hurt the story too) but it's definitely better to experience Celeste's story than the opposite, no matter how you play the game.

And I think the vast majority of games is like Celeste.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
Since it's a single player game, which usually effects just you, cheating is a complete non-issue.
If it gives someone a new layer of fun to game then who's to say otherwise.

I usually go full cheat mode when I'm on a 3rd or 4th playthrough.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
There's so many reasons to use cheats, cheats can extend the life and enjoyment of a game. I used to play through GTA 3's first without cheats, then eventually I'd go all out with the awesome cheats. Now it's mods. Skyrim, Fallout 3+, Oblivion? Those games never ended because of mods which include things that would be considered cheats. Til this day I still use the console to cheat things like carry weight, money, and teleports and it makes the game so much better, especially carry weight removal in Fallout.

Nov 8, 2017
I don't think I've used a trainer except one time as a kid when someone showed me how they work for diablo 2, but sometimes I like to take a nice relaxing break by playing EU4 or Hearts of Iron with cheats. Just fun getting ludicruosly OP and stomping on the AI using console commands to get extra tech or cash or whatever. Sometimes you want a challenge, and there's ironman for that (I have quite a few achievements), sometimes you want a laugh.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I couldn't care about someone cheating in any way as long as it doesn't affect me and others in any negative way. The only way I can imagine Single Player hacks can negatively impact others is if there's leaderboards or something, which then yeah that's a small problem.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
No one would be able to stop anyone trying to cheat anyway and no one should care about that anyway.
Why would you care to begin with? To be one of the 1%ers who actually has the time to learn the intricacies of some rando game no one gives a shit about?
Talk about pathetic behavior.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Go nuts. I cheated the hell out of single player games as a kid because of cheat codes and a game genie.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
It's a no brainer, do what you want with your single player game.

Sometimes you won't get the actual intended experience, and that's okay. It's 100% your call.

I think it's silly when people want every dev to make super easy difficulty modes in their games, but creating one yourself is great imo.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
It should be outlawed, and anyone caught cheating in SP should be punished with 100 days of hard labour. Alternatively, the convict can choose to finish the game they cheated on fairly within 10 days of the verdict.