• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should Trainers and Cheating be allowed in Single Player Games

• Yes, as long as it is Single Player its ok

Votes: 1,084 95.7%
  • No, cheating is cheating no matter where it happens.

Votes: 49 4.3%

• Total voters

zeioIIDX

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
It's just a video game. Cheat if you want to, glitch if you want to, exploit if you want to. No one's taking anybody to prison for entering the Konami Code into Contra...The developers programmed cheat codes into their games for a reason and devices such as GameShark/Action Replay and PC trainer programs are even more fun to use. If you cheat in multiplayer games, whatever. Not the end of the world but yeah, it isn't fair for people that aren't cheating in multiplayer or online games. It ruins the experience. At the same time, I admit having fond memories of countless games of SOCOM I and II back on the PS2. People used to use this "Skywalker" GameShark cheat where they could "fly". To everyone else, it looked like the character was bouncing up and down a good 30 feet in the air infinitely. People also used to glitch out of the maps and hide in the walls. Anyway, there should be no conundrum or threat to anyone's moral fiber regarding entering a cheat code into a video game. Use them if you want...or don't...it's your game experience.

Last edited:

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
lmao the great meme posts keep on coming

Hold up guys, I didn't actually experience No Man's Sky because I used the dupe glitch to get mats for building my base instead of mining the same rocks for hours.
I just think its hard to criticize a game when you bypass the game design by doing something for your enjoyment since most people dont use cheats/mods. Not saying you cant do so, just saying your experience may vary wildly from what was kinda intended.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I just think its hard to criticize a game when you bypass the game design by doing something for your enjoyment since most people dont use cheats/mods. Not saying you cant do so, just saying your experience may vary wildly from what was kinda intended.

The reviewer part, sure, I get that point but second part "or talk about it like you actually experienced it" is just wack, imo.

Maybe you meant "and" instead of "or" ?

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
So What I was wondering, since so many of you are gamers at heart, do you think it's ok to cheat at single player games? For example, there are programs out there can savegame you ps4 stuff and give you infinite health like let's say Days Gone, or trainers that can be activated and give you Infinite Health on Crackdown 3, or even Cheat Engine, etc. Do you think it's ok?
it depends from my mood
Sometimes I want to play without having to care about things like health bar, points and stuff
Exemple: I played GTA Vice City with tons of trainees because the game is really fun and I want to destroy everthing.

The first time I finished RE 2 Remake I played the best I could
But to get all weapons I got a trainee and It was fun anyway

Last edited:

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
The reviewer part, sure, I get that point but second part "or talk about it like you actually experienced it" is just wack, imo.

Maybe you meant "and" instead of "or" ?
If it is a story based game and you bypass significant parts of it because you got bored or whatever then you didnt really experience it in a meaningful way to me but that just gets into the completed or not completed the game and that is subjective so whatever.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Knew this thread was gonna attract a bunch of people that for some reason, are really concerned with how people play games on their private time.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It depends on the game. If you mod the Sims 4 to give yourself longer days...sure. Infinite health in Dark Souls? Nah. That's cheating yourself out of the experience.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For JRPGs I'm pretty sure I can grind it out, so I save myself some time and give myself a ton of money to spare myself the hassle.

klee123

Oct 27, 2017
With SP games, do whatever you want. It's your experience and you're not affecting anybody.

Personally? I don't resort to cheating unless.

1. The game was broken in some way and I need to resort to cheating to bypass a certain quest etc. Bethesda's games are notorious for this.

2. I've beaten the base game at the hardest difficulty and just want screw around the game.

That's just me though.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People saying no have too be trolling lol. I'm not a fan of it in some cases, but people should do whatever they want.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
those 27 votes feel like this:

_106419406_68a5abd2-5b20-4602-8f5b-fb558b56780f-nc.png

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
I don't think cheating is ok for gamer score or trophies or multiplayer. It doesn't matter though if you cheat on a single player game, that's your thing. As long as it doesn't effect anyone else it doesn't matter.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine having to waste hours farming for resources and then wait literal days for a timer to run down to access new weapons in Metal Gear Solid V once you have unlocked them.
Note: for anyone that played the game at launch and thought it was fine (I disagree) they patched the game to increase the costs, extend the timers, and cause you to randomly lose resources, to push players into buying premium currency with real money.

Still cheated yourself out of the experience. If you're not good enough, that's just how it is. Quit the game and find something else.
The "intended experience" is not always the best or most fun one.
Beyond cheats/trainers, there are a lot of mods on PC that greatly improve games over their "intended experience ".

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
fuck playing fallout4 without being able to disable the carry weight limit. Things like that, that actually improve the game, I'm all about. But traditional "cheats" like more money/no damage I have no interest in.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Seeing the poll results makes me relieved that most people on Era still have their sanity. I was scared for a second.

And to the 27 people who voted the second option: get over yourselves. yall out here really trying to worry about how people play video games in a way the literally doesn't affect you at all? Come on.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
I do it after I beat a game to I guess give the game more replayability

///PATRIOT

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You cheated not only the game, but yourself.

You didn't grow.
You didn't improve.
You took a shortcut and gained nothing.

You experienced a hollow victory.
Nothing was risked and nothing was gained.

It's sad that you don't know the difference.
Dont care if it's a meme. I agree with this.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Its perfectly fine to cheat in single player and I do it all the time on PC. Some games are more fun with it, sometimes I'm just more compelled to finish the game with them. I sometimes only get PC versions just because I want to cheat through them.

I've been a proponent of cheats in games provided by the dev team but very few do it these days.

I did all the souls games aside from 3 without cheats but I was pretty burnt out on the series when I got to three, popping on a x4 souls cheat made that game more compelling to roll through... Probably would have it still in my backlog if not for a few simple cheats. Actually probably my favorite souls game lol

Love my console games as well but I do wish I could turn on x4 exp in some of these jrpg and just relax through them lol.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Really don't care about how people play their single player stuff. If it makes it more fun to them, great.

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
I use cheats all the time especially in RPGs which have some stupid material grind.

Btw whats everyone's views on using cheats for xp gain etc when the dev is selling xp boosters (like AC Odyssey). Can that in anyway be considered piracy legally?

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
I use trainers all the time. Nothing wrong with playing a game how you want to play it. Anyone saying different are wrong.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
I only use cheats in games like GTA or RDR just to screw around, although never to actually progress. Cheats are fun and can really improve replayability. It's a shame that they're largely never used anymore.

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
Let me be clear, if you cheat in a single player game you're not only cheating the game, you're cheating yourself out of satisfaction. You experienced a hollow victory, a complete waste of time.

The point of video games is to be entertained by them and how you find entertain is subjective. If someone wants to use cheats in a single player game because it's fun for them, cool! If not, also fine because it literally doesn't matter. Not everyone sees a game as something to conquer. Hell, I throw Yakuza games and most JRPGs on the easiest setting first time through just because I want to enjoy the story without being bothered. If I enjoy it enough to want a challenge, I'll go back through it again.

I played WoW at the highest level I could without quitting job in the mid 2000s and frankly, all the chasing for realm firsts and treating a game like a job severely detracted from my enjoyment of it. Now if I really want a challenge, I'll just play comp in a multiplayer game or something.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
People can do whatever they want in their single player games. But I don't have to respect them.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
We did it boys, we have a generation of gamers that doesn't know that game devs themselves used to put cheat codes on the games.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I often use cheats/trainers in SP games when I'm stuck or when I don't want to deal with the grinds (exp and/or money).

Playing through a game fully by cheating though, that's a different story. Because here's the question:

Player A played through a game without cheating, player B played through a game by cheating. Whose impressions of the game would you want to hear from?

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017
I use trainers when I'm gaming on PC all the time. I wouldn't be able to tackle my giant backlog on PC if I didn't. I'm currently playing The Witcher 3 with money mod and cheaper repair cost, if not for those mods I wouldn't even touch W3 vanilla.

-IZHAN-

Jul 7, 2019
You cheated not only the game, but yourself.

You didn't grow.
You didn't improve.
You took a shortcut and gained nothing.

You experienced a hollow victory.
Nothing was risked and nothing was gained.

It's sad that you don't know the difference.
yes you pointed out very important facts
but nowadays ppl use trainer to gain money/ingame currency because as you now these things are now very grindy

For example AC Origins and Odyssey
you need to grind hours and hours to gain some money to buy or upgrade weapons !!

and yeah ppl should avoid using god mode, no recoil etc. in shooting games like GTA V, mAX pAYNE 3&4 etc. etc.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's not a bad thing, buy I usually don't use them. Except in games like GTA, after finishing the game. Some codes and cheats are so fun in those games.

KaCo

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
May 22, 2018
Sure, doesn't really bother me at all. I personally go for glitches to make some games interesting to play through again.

For example, every time I go back to RE4, I always do the ditman glitch.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
I used to use them a lot on single player PC games just to fuck around after I've beaten them.

The only time that comes to mind where I used a trainer to beat a part of a game I couldn't was that damn final boss on MGS Revengeance.

But yea singleplayer games have it with all the cheats you want.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
I like to fiddle around with experience and money multipliers in oldschool jrpgs, drop/steal rate. I cannot be bothered to grind and waste time.