• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should Trainers and Cheating be allowed in Single Player Games

• Yes, as long as it is Single Player its ok

Votes: 1,084 95.7%
  • No, cheating is cheating no matter where it happens.

Votes: 49 4.3%

• Total voters

Comandr

Feb 14, 2018
I will generally only cheat in a game as a time saver. If I have an option to double exp or money gained, stuff like that. I still want to play the game, but I don't want to spend 2 hours grinding enemies to get the requisite level or money to move on.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Obviously fine as long as your cheating isn't affecting anyone else.

I will say though. I used to not play the GTA games normally at all and just cheat all the time. I had fun with it, sure, but eventualyl I tried finishing the stories without cheats and had much MORE fun. So to each their own, but I don't really get any enjoyment out of cheats anymore.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm all for cheats. Game Genie, Action Replay, Gameshark, Cheat Engine; give me all of them.

I'm glad I have the option of that kind of stuff again now that I'm on PC; not having the ability to do this kind of stuff last gen on consoles was a big bummer.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I honestly don't know how anyone has the patience to go through the GTA trilogy without cheating. I somehow managed with San Andreas (mainly due to the Xbox achievements) and it was...doable until the last third of the game (to be fair, it was the remastered version so it fixed a lot of the issues the original had, but I could tell which sections must have made non-cheaters pissed without the checkpoint system). But 3 and VC (the PS2 versions on PS4) can get pretty bonkers with their tasks and instant mission fails.

I have no guilts cheating on old games though. Yeah I didn't beat Ninja Gaiden (NES) legitimately, but goddamn I wanted to be able to beat the final FINAL boss with more than just a 1/3 of my life. I'm enjoying a lot of old games thanks to save states.

Last edited:

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
I wonder if those that voted "no" are some of the "more options are always better" crowd when it comes to mtx boosters in singleplayer games

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Waiting for PC version of RDR2 so I can cheat the shit out of economy and never have to loot a body again.

Phoenix944

Oct 28, 2017
I understand that developers don't want you to rush through and not play the game as they intended. But at the end of the day, you bought the game and it belongs to you. As long as it's strictly singleplayer we should be allowed to do whatever the fuck we want with it.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
You cheated not only the game, but yourself.

You didn't grow.
You didn't improve.
You took a shortcut and gained nothing.

You experienced a hollow victory.
Nothing was risked and nothing was gained.

It's sad that you don't know the difference.
Beautiful.

But I've played games that I have yet seen the end of because I'm not cheating and I'm not improving enough to finish them. Ikaruga. I don't think I can ever gain the skills needed to finish that.

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
Using the trainer in SFV to get the colors from that shitty single player mode was the easiest decision

Oct 31, 2017
I loved the commands in Oblivion like god mode. I usually started the game seriously but it always devolved into just wreaking havoc and accessing inaccessable areas thanks to the unlock command. That's also the reason why I never finished the game.

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I like messing around games when i've completed them and since i don't like farming stupid materials for 20 hours, i have no shame in using them.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm one of those people who thinks Dark Souls and similar games being hard games has a meaning and that easy modes would take some of that away etc etc

I literally couldn't give a shit about people cheating in single player games

Jun 24, 2019
I think cheating in single games are fine.

Streamers/youtubers want to do speed runs or show off funny things from a game.

Gizamaluke

Oct 28, 2017
Funny this thread has come up, because I have decided to finally see out Deadly Premonition and found a trainer to make the game a bit more bearable. As unique and amazing as it is, the gameplay genuinely needs the help.

Mazzo

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I never use them these days, but if it helps one's enjoyment of the game without hindering another's, that's absolutely fine.

I remember using noclip and other console commands in the early Half-Life 2 days, after my first playthrough. It can be a whole other fascinating experience to fly and visit places the devs never wanted you to. You have the opportunity to see some of the inner workings of the game. That experience also has value.

Also, when I was a kid, cheats were the only way I had courage to play Duke Nukem. Years later I finished the game fair and square.

Last edited:

orava

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2019
When you have played the game through or are just starting to get bored with it, cheats and trainers can make it feel like completely new game. And sometimes you just want to feel like a god.

Singleplayer yes, though achievements should be disabled.

Multiplayer, never

Depends on what kind of multiplayer. A closed server with couple friends and cheats enabled purposefully can be insanely fun.

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
People can play however they wish, that's a given.
That said, if cheating is the only way for you to play or appreciate a game, maybe the game is not for you.

Recent case in point : Sekiro. The fast paced action, learning curve, trial and error, rich gameplay and inherent adaptability required from you until the pure satisfaction of having prevailed with your own skills... It's indescribable.
Remove the difficulty and you're basically left with a dish with no flavor.

That said, nothing wrong with some QoL changes like the ones seen in recent RPGs or remakes : FFXII fast mode or things to make a game less tedious, I can understand.

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
It's singleplayer, so do whatever you want. Though if there is some kind of leaderboard component to the game, it would be nice if those were kept clean.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I generally don't, but I'm not above using an infinite ammo cheat in something like Blood. Makes the game so much more fun.

Oct 25, 2017
People can play however they wish, that's a given.
That said, if cheating is the only way for you to play or appreciate a game, maybe the game is not for you.

Recent case in point : Sekiro. The fast paced action, learning curve, trial and error, rich gameplay and inherent adaptability required from you until the pure satisfaction of having prevailed with your own skills... It's indescribable.
Remove the difficulty and you're basically left with a dish with no flavor.

That said, nothing wrong with some QoL changes like the ones seen in recent RPGs or remakes : FFXII fast mode or things to make a game less tedious, I can understand.
That's the beauty of cheating. It can make a game that isn't "for you" more enjoyable with no cost or effort from the devs, which is a crucial point I think.

In all the fromsoft "there should be an easy mode" threads I actually take the same position as you precisely because I don't think devs should go out of their way to provide modes they have no interest in making. But if the player can do it themselves, what rational objection could there be? There isn't one.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I do not care how anyone wants to enjoy their singleplayer game. Cheat and hack to your heart's content!

Personally rarely do it.

Watevaman

Oct 30, 2017
I was born with an Action Replay in one hand and a Gameshark in the other. Who cares about cheating in an SP game? If it's not for an achievement that would put you ahead of others it's all good.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
What is this bullshit of "hurting enjoyment"? lmao

Get over yourself.
Ehh - if you turn to a cheat as soon as you get stuck or a fight is hard, then yeah...it has to be taking away any sense of accomplishment for finishing a tough fight. You're 'beating' the game, but at the same time...you're just seeing the story through, you're not actually accomplishing the tasks needed to do it.

Again, if it's a single player game - go ahead. It only affects you, and if you don't care...oh well.

Nov 1, 2017
Knock yourself out, cheat away. There's no right or wrong way to get enjoyment from a game you paid money for so long as you aren't negatively impacting the experience for anyone else, so yeah pretty much all MP games are a no-no. I would argue even co-op games. Someone once dropped a hacked weapon in Borderlands 2 (on the console version no less which is much more difficult to mess with than a PC version) and i admit i used it to easily solo a raid boss and kind of wished i had done it legit.

Personally i don't know how you could complete the old school Contra games without the infamous Konami cheat code for extra lives. I am not very good at those games!

EDIT: I just remembered that i totally had a Game Genie and an Action Replay for the NES and SNES respectively. You could do some fun things fucking around with the games code back then.

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.

You didn't grow.
You didn't improve.
You took a shortcut and gained nothing.

You experienced a hollow victory.
Nothing was risked and nothing was gained.

It's sad that you don't know the difference.

God i love this meme.

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
It's up to you to play your game and enjoy it however you like, but it's annoying when you work so hard on achieving a trophy only to find out there's tons of people who got it by hacking/glitches or whatever was the method

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Did they lose too much gamer credit in your eyes?
You happen to respect a lot of people for completing video games...?

Say someone beats Dark Souls. That counts for something, right? They put forth the effort and they persevered, so that at least deserves a notion of "Nice job," "Atta boy," etc. But if they cheated, not so much.

EDIT: The trophy thing people are bringing is basically the same point.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
Say someone beats Dark Souls. That counts for something, right? They put forth the effort and they persevered, so that at least deserves a notion of "Nice job," "Atta boy," etc. But if they cheated, not so much.

EDIT: The trophy thing people are bringing is basically the same point.
Are you playing Dark Souls for recognition?

NeroPaige

Jan 8, 2018
yes it's ok.

I slow down the game in cheat engine whilst retaining butter smooth g-sync (some games don't like it, but most I've played run fine). This is training wheels to learn the game and so on. Mousewheel up = normal speed, mousewheel down = 50% speed, Middlemouse = 200%. Or macro buttons on my custom controller. It's miles ahead of my console experience and things like this are why PC is my main platform. It even speeds up loading screens on some games :-D

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Ehh - if you turn to a cheat as soon as you get stuck or a fight is hard, then yeah...it has to be taking away any sense of accomplishment for finishing a tough fight. You're 'beating' the game, but at the same time...you're just seeing the story through, you're not actually accomplishing the tasks needed to do it.
No offense this response still beggars "Get over yourself"
As if enjoyment in a video game across every player across every game is solely "i accomplished a task"

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
It's fine as long as it's single player, not affecting leaderboards, and not factored into the qualitative judgement of a game's design. Like--exaggerated example--complaining that a game is too easy when you turned on infinite health.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's completely fine as long as you don't write a review about how the game was too easy afterwards

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You should do whatever maximises your enjoyment of the game, if that's using cheats or whatever, roll with it. Using them isn't to my personal taste though.

Obviously, when that impacts other people's experiences though in any way, that's a huge no.