• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should Trainers and Cheating be allowed in Single Player Games

• Yes, as long as it is Single Player its ok

Votes: 1,084 95.7%
  • No, cheating is cheating no matter where it happens.

Votes: 49 4.3%

• Total voters

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
It's totally fine. While it obviously means you're no longer getting the intended playing experience, sometimes cheats open up entirely new ways to have fun with a game.

I probably wouldn't have such fond memories of Jedi Knight 2 if I didn't play with console commands in that game. I spent many hours just spawning stuff and watching them fight each other.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Say someone beats Dark Souls. That counts for something, right? They put forth the effort and they persevered, so that at least deserves a notion of "Nice job," "Atta boy," etc. But if they cheated, not so much.

EDIT: The trophy thing people are bringing is basically the same point.

I can definitively say, no, beating a game in a particular way literally counts for nothing unless you arbitrarily assign some kind of personal value to it. It's entertainment. The only question that matters is, "Did you enjoy it and/or feel like your time was otherwise well spent?"

It's fine as long as it's single player, not affecting leaderboards, and not factored into the qualitative judgement of a game's design. Like--exaggerated example--complaining that a game is too easy when you turned on infinite health.
It's completely fine as long as you don't write a review about how the game was too easy afterwards
Are these actual concerns? Why would anyone do this?

Astraea

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'll cheat to make a game less tedious and more fun. I'll cheat games that incorporate obnoxious difficulty. I'll cheat so I can wreak havoc and have mindless destructive fun.
The most common cheat I use is 2x experience and money in JRPGs so I don't ever have to grind.

Guess I lost all gamer cred in the eyes of the few elite in this thread. How will I ever enjoy my video games now?

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Are you playing Dark Souls for recognition?

I don't even play Dark Souls. I don't pay attention to what anyone else plays. But the question is about how we view people cheating. This is my view. Sue me.

Does anybody seriously give a shit if I "respect" how they play their single-player games? Yeah, didn't think so.

Last edited:

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
One of the best things about PC gaming is being able to hack the shit out of games.

Call it modding, call it trainers, call it cheating, whatever. Futzing with .ini files, freezing memory addresses, cracking open .exes, it's all gravy.

All the people talking about "hurting your enjoyment" are missing the point: Cheating is fun as hell.

I can't think of a single game that can't be improved by modding in some way.

Obviously cheating for advantage in MP is shitty and a total no-go.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
Say someone beats Dark Souls. That counts for something, right? They put forth the effort and they persevered, so that at least deserves a notion of "Nice job," "Atta boy," etc. But if they cheated, not so much.
If I can be completely honest, it doesnt. Nailing a tough guitar solo can easily take you a year and graduating from university takes 5 to 7 years depending what you study. These are achievements that make me tip my non-existant cap.

Someone finishing Sekiro in 20 hours with or without trainer doesnt make me say anything other than "cool", in the same way if someone would tell me that they had just seen a movie.

J_Atlas

Apr 11, 2019
I think its very silly to tell people they can't enjoy the thing they bought in the way they want to enjoy it, so long as its not affecting anyone else.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
If I can be completely honest, it doesnt. Nailing a tough guitar solo can easily take you a year and graduating from university takes 5 to 7 years depending what you study. These are achievements that make me tip my non-existant cap.

Someone finishing Sekiro in 20 hours with or without trainer doesnt make me say anything other than "cool", in the same way if someone would tell me that they had just seen a movie.

Damn. I never should have said that I hold the exact same amount of respect for completing a notoriously difficult video game as I do for literally any other difficult task, regardless of how comparatively Herculean it is.

I hear you on the movie comparison, though. If someone can successfully sit through an utterly heinous piece of shit like The Last Jedi, I feel a modicum of respect for their achievement.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any good sites for trainers and cheats? Or are they generally all reliable if you Google them. Some games I want to replay in the future with trainers. Like Mafia 3 or Deus Ex: HR especially. Thinking I might keep my old laptop for older games that I'd wanna possibly use trainers for after I build my PC in the future

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
Damn. I never should have said that I hold the exact same amount of respect for completing a notoriously difficult video game as I do for literally any other difficult task, regardless of how comparatively Herculean it is.

I hear you on the movie comparison, though. If someone can successfully sit through an utterly heinous piece of shit like The Last Jedi, I feel a modicum of respect for their achievement.
But thats kinda my point, it isnt an "achievement." Its just entertainment.

MooMooChan

Feb 18, 2018
Depending on the grind or limit, my PC died around December and a lot of my game saves were gone so had to get close to what I had. Trainers are ok as long as you don't set it god mode, you get bored of the game quickly

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Fine as long as you don't write reviews/articles/opinions about the game after cheating your way through it, unless the purpose of said stuff is strictly about cheating.

Or saying something like "hey, I beat <insert hard game>, here's some tips" while cheating is also trash.

Other than that, you do you as far as I'm concerned.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
When you do it yourself, it's "cheating".

When the developer does it for you, it's "quality of life improvement".

People should just feel free to enjoy their games however they want.