• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
Eviction is a long and complex process and how many judges do you think will be willing to listen to mass eviction cases in the middle of a pandemic?
There was sarcasm implied in my post because it's unrealistic to think all these mortgages will get paid for by evicting tenants. Either everyone is going to need to get mortgage payment deferrals, we get some kind of mortgage/rent pause, or there are going to be a lot of foreclosures happening.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There was sarcasm implied in my post because it's unrealistic to think all these mortgages will get paid for by evicting tenants. Either everyone is going to need to get mortgage payment deferrals, we get some kind of mortgage/rent pause, or there are going to be a lot of foreclosures happening.

poes law these days, man. My range for sarcasm is all thrown out of whack lately due to our country being run by Cobra Commander.

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
That works on things owned by the government. Less so on things privately held.

This could be done during a national emergency.

Unless they can get lenders to offer deferment and put a freeze on local tax collection, I don't see that happening. All of these counties have only put off evictions, not rent collection.
'
New York State suspended Mortgage payments entirely.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
If the landlords haven't saved up several months of living expenses, that seems extremely reckless to me.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Freeze rent, freeze mortgages.

Rent and mortgages tend to be tied to contracts with explicit terms and dates. This seems like a legal nightmare to implement even though it needs to be done. Even if you keep the end dates the same, all that means is people are going to be behind since they're going to owe for the months that were on freeze. Does anyone know how this would legally work?

Oct 27, 2017
We don't need it guys, my apartment complex left us a note they were removing the 2.00 credit card processing fee this month! We're saved!
Fuckers at my place want $58 to do a credit card charge for rent. Before learning that I was like, "Yeah, rewards for paying my rent!" After that I was like, "Fuck off and continue putting forth the expense and effort of depositing a check."
All rent and mortgages should be suspended for the next month or two. I don't know how that would work and don't care.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Republicans: "We love our small businesses"

Small businesses: "We can't pay rent"

This is why Republicans think they're doing small businesses a favor by wanting to end the shutdown. They view mass death as inevitable and think UBI/rent freeze are completely out of the question because the free market is sacred and cannot be disrupted even to save lives.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Some landlords have mortgages though. It's a whole chain reaction of things.

This. Some folks acting like all landlords are just sitting on a pile of money Scrooge McDuck style being selfish. For many it's always been a balancing act of income generated by rent going right into mortgages/repairs/service like any small business.

There should be a freeze on everything for a limited time. But Washington is ineptitude will make this historical event far more economically painful than it needs to be.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Rent and mortgages tend to be tied to contracts with explicit terms and dates. This seems like a legal nightmare to implement even though it needs to be done. Even if you keep the end dates the same, all that means is people are going to be behind since they're going to owe for the months that were on freeze. Does anyone know how this would legally work?
You can freeze evictions, though. That what Canada is doing and other nations that care about their populace.

This. Some folks acting like all landlords are just sitting on a pile of money Scrooge McDuck style being selfish. For many it's always been a balancing act of income generated by rent going right into mortgages/repairs/service like any small business.

There should be a freeze on everything for a limited time. But Washington is ineptitude will make this historical event far more economically painful than it needs to be.

Landlords should be helped too!

That's the issue. Shitty safety nets all around.

aznpxdd

Oct 25, 2017
If they can't make it, think of all the restaurants that are being fucked right now.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All this talk about landlords has me remembering this AMAZING diatribe from an Airbnb landlord and its just like fucking high performance art. LOL

bHBDtU9.png

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Correct. You're right on that.

Ya, so it breaks down to two possible takes:

1) Freeze mortgages for everyone, but when the freeze is lifted suddenly you're going to owe all that money for however long the freeze is. That's for sure going to cause a lot of problems with suddenly slapping people with large bills.

2) Freeze mortgages for everyone and then extend the term by however long the freeze is when it's lifted. This seems ideal, but then I think the problem is every rent and mortgage contract has specific terms and dates specified which means you have to amend every single contract in existence that is current which seems like a legal nightmare.

Is there a third option that works that I'm not thinking of? Like I said, it needs to happen, but which path do you take and how do you make that a reality?

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
Brb, writing a letter to my bank regarding how I will no longer be paying my mortgage. Let's see how it works out.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Landlords should be helped too!

That's the issue. Shitty safety nets all around.

The problem sure ain't lack of snark.

1) Freeze mortgages for everyone, but when the freeze is lifted suddenly you're going to owe all that money for however long the freeze is. That's for sure going to cause a lot of problems with suddenly slapping people with large bills.

2) Freeze mortgages for everyone and then extend the term by however long the freeze is when it's lifted. This seems ideal, but then I think the problem is every rent and mortgage contract has specific terms and dates specified which means you have to amend every single contract in existence that is current which seems like a legal nightmare.

Is there a third option that works that I'm not thinking of? Like I said, it needs to happen, but which path do you take and how do you make that a reality?

#2 is doable if the government in the US could actually do its job in good faith. But if that were the case I don't think we'd be in this position to the extent we're in to begin with.

Deleted member 49482

Banned
Nov 8, 2018

I suspect you could accomplish #2 via legislation without needing to amend every contract.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is why we need mortgage and rent freezes across the board without penalty or requirements to backpay when the crisis is over.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Brb, writing a letter to my bank regarding how I will no longer be paying my mortgage. Let's see how it works out.
My lender is offering forebearance for 3 months, and then after that you get hit with it all in one bill. Also I believe you still take the credit hit for not paying.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
They're still going to pay them. I work in this space, the rents are just being deferred to the end of the leases

Bdub79

Oct 25, 2017
I have a house I rent out and one of the spouses is a teacher. If they dont have an income, they cant pay the rent. That's ok. They can live there for free until all this shit is dealt with.

Hedge

Oct 26, 2017
Some of these leases have force majeure clauses that could protect tenants from having to pay. Depends on the language of the clause I guess. But yeah a national rent/mortgage freeze is needed to give the country some peace of mind

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's very depressing though that the concept of rent freeze might only gain traction because a corporation wills it to be.
I think they'll blink because they don't want even the potential of people organizing (which is already happening everywhere) to begin REAL rent strikes, which would show people "oh yeah that's right why to landlords exist again".

Oct 27, 2017
It's nice to see bigger corps making this play if only because it probably makes it easier for smaller restaurants to argue the same.

Deleted member 49482

Banned
Nov 8, 2018
Not in those cases where there are already tenants lined up at the end of the lease
True, but I think that could still be accomplished via legislation with smartly crafted language; however, the more I'm thinking about it, it doesn't necessarily make sense to me to make the default scenario be a bilateral extension of the lease term.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because we're paying the mortgage. People choose to rent for a reason.
I mean mostly because landlords, such as yourself, own 2/3rds of all available property and lands in most major US cities. And that your primary function is literally just facilitating something that other people created with their own labor independent from you and could easily maintain with labor independent from you other than your potential injection of capital to simply acquire the property.

As well, we can just create communal spaces within which everybody is entitled to a place to live, instead of forcing people to literally use 2/3rds of THEIR hard earned spoils from THEIR labor simply to have a place to live. Like any rational, humanistic society should simply provide people for nothing because the idea of housing as something commodified is absurd on its face. And is nothing more than an avenue for a transference of Capital towards and ever shrinking funnel of interests.

Oct 27, 2017
That's what I'm dealing with. I have to pay almost $10,000 for our monthly lease, right now for March which we've been closed most of now, and its looking like good chance we will be closed all of April, so that's $20,000 in rent I have to pay while my business is forced closed cause of all of this. I have to keep paying this as per my lease if we are forced to shut down in May also? Longer? I have a lease till Feb, I have to basically be bleeding money and if I just closed shop I pay a huge penalty to break my lease.

That's exactly the type of business I'm wondering about. Big guys like Cheesecake Factory take up enough square footage that they might be able to negotiate something but what about the small, private businesses? We're probably going to have social distancing in effect for the rest of the year, does that mean that every IT repair store, hobby shop, etc is going to be shut down this year?

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I mean mostly because landlords, such as yourself, own 2/3rds of all available property and lands in most major US cities. And that your primary function is literally just facilitating something that other people created with their own labor independent from you and could easily maintain with labor independent from you other than your potential injection of capital to simply acquire the property.

As well, we can just create communal spaces within which everybody is entitled to a place to live, instead of forcing people to literally use 2/3rds of THEIR hard earned spoils from THEIR labor simply to have a place to live. Like any rational, humanistic society should simply provide people for nothing because the idea of housing as something commodified is absurd on its face. And is nothing more than an avenue for a transference of Capital towards and ever shrinking funnel of interests.

It's...interesting... that a renter would by that account have all their money going to the mortgage but they don't have any stake in their housing. If only there were a way for the tenants to have a collective ownership in the housing they rent. But that's surely impossible.