• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Chelsea Manning, the transgender former Army private who was convicted of passing sensitive government documents to Wikileaks, has filed to run for the U.S. Senate in Maryland, according to federal election filings.

Manning, who did not immediately respond to a request for comment, would be challenging Democrat Ben Cardin, who has served two terms in the Senate and is up for re-election in November. Cardin is Maryland's senior senator and is an overwhelming favorite to win a third term.

Manning, 30, who is formerly known as Bradley Manning, was convicted in 2013 of the largest leak of classified documents in U.S. history and was sentenced to 35 years in prison. Last year, then President Obama commuted Manning's sentence to time served and she was released from a military prison in Kansas.

Manning moved to Maryland after her release and friends and family raised more than $175,000 to support her through an online campaign. Since then, she has written for The Guardian and Medium on issues of transparency, free speech and civil liberties, according to her web site.

Manning's statement of candidacy was filed with the Federal Elections Commission on Thursday. She is running as a Democrat and refers to Maryland as her "home state" on her web site.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...ression=true&tid=sm_tw&utm_term=.012711881fbc

Edit: Her campaign ad video and link to fundraising site: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ch...senate-in-maryland.16236/page-12#post-3275306

Last edited:

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
hrm...well...that's interesting. a bit disruptive in a Democratic state, i'll say. but interesting. I would have deployed her in some place like PA or WV or some place where she would have a blast effect.

wonder if I'll get to work with her campaign.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good luck with that. If you can't be trusted to handle to classified information, it's going to be rough asking to be trusted as a Senator.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good for her, I guess she's just doing this to raise awareness for security/free speech issues since she has zero chance, which is fine.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't she have all sorts of mental and emotional issues prior to stealing and leaking classified documents? I can't see this ending well for her once the campaign starts and opposition research starts doing its dirty work.

aliengmr

Oct 26, 2017
She might have been better off starting at the local level and building from there. She's pretty divisive, even on the left. She'll cause a stir, but it won't amount to much.

Deleted member 20603

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Good luck with that. If you can't be trusted to handle to classified information, it's going to be rough asking to be trusted as a Senator.

Exactly. Hillary didn't get the Presidency in some part because of this whole classified information thing, and she wasn't even passing info to anybody (Wikileaks), just storing it in a private server that Donald Trump asked Wikileaks and Russia to try and hack into, which he hopefully goes to jail for.

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
I don't know her political views, but she was treated terribly by the Obama administration, and deserves to, at least, have her voice heard. I'll be interested to see what she decides to do, and how she decides to run.

Nokterian

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Euroland
I don't know her political views, but she was treated terribly by the Obama administration, and deserves to, at least, have her voice heard. I'll be interested to see what she decides to do, and how she decides to run.

Yes, seeing how whistleblowers are treated makes no sense. She deserves to be heard, she persisted in a male prison and a lot of things that are unbearable to hear.

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Excellent. Go get em!

I'm gonna hazard a guess and say she's probably a progressive

Deleted member 3345

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Manning got a commutation of sentence for leaking classified information while in the military.

That's the opposite of being treated terribly by the administration you were serving under.

Deleted member 2171

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't she have all sorts of mental and emotional issues prior to stealing and leaking classified documents? I can't see this ending well for her once the campaign starts and opposition research starts doing its dirty work.

Oh yes, because the military can properly medicate and treat those.

They don't. They just toss ibuprofen at everything.

Manning got a commutation of sentence for leaking classified information while in the military.

That's the opposite of being treated terribly by the administration you were serving under.

And revealed proof of the murder of defenseless citizens by military members. It's Hugh Thompson Jr all over again, who was also publically labeled a traitor for revealing and attempting to stop the My Lai Massacre. This was about more than the cables that thousands of people already had access to.

Last edited:

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
She showed terrible judgment with the way she leaked that bulk data. On the other hand, with her experiences and the abuses she suffered in prison, she would bring a unique perspective to the field. I'll be very interested to hear her platform.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course she goes for another stunt rather than actually trying to accomplish something.

We don't need to be electing another traitor to DC. Rohrbacher and Trump is two too many.

If she had leaked just the pertinent information for specific incidents, this wouldn't be a problem. But she grabbed a whole lot of random information and threw it out into the wild without a care in the world. That's not whistleblowing, that's taking a shit on your country.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
hell no, she broke the law and like many said, showed terrible judgment.
What a stain on a Democratic party would it be to run a convicted leaker to the Senate.

She more than served for her crimes.

If she had leaked just the pertinent information for specific incidents, this wouldn't be a problem. But she grabbed a whole lot of random information and threw it out into the wild without a care in the world. That's not whistleblowing, that's taking a shit on your country.

Wait, you think Manning was involved with how Wikileaks distributed the leaked information?

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No thanks, you didn't deserve what you went through in jail, but you still were carless with the documents you leaked to a psychopath.

LinktothePastGOAT

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Of course she goes for another stunt rather than actually trying to accomplish something.

We don't need to be electing another traitor to DC. Rohrbacher and Trump is two too many.

Yep. She is no patriot just as Snowden isn't a patriot. The fact that people can literally put American lives in jeopardy and be considered a patriot is beyond me. We're not talking putting Trump's life in jeopardy but rather Americans overseas whose identity weren't known and whose job depended on it. Chelsea while treated poorly in prison did break the law and did so in an incredibly irresponsible way.

Nov 29, 2017
Pismo Beach, CA

Exactly.

Sorry this isn't a left right issue. This is a young idiot who needed to go through chain of command if something was amiss. Not leak information. You can change a lot more by simply serving your time doing the right thing and getting out honorably the running and winning to getting change to happen if you feel it needs to.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, you think Manning started and was involved with how Wikileaks distrobuted the leaked information?
Manning was involved with the decision to hand a massive pile of random information over to a third party without any care in the world. Them being effectively a Russian propaganda arm since Assange took control of the organization wasn't known at the time, but even just comparing it to how Snowden disseminated information via reputable journalists is night and day.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
r7H9Ilu.gif

giphy.gif

34314ba5a8c6ff3f79940f575faa508f921efcf0.gif

Kas'

Oct 26, 2017
hell no, she broke the law and like many said, showed terrible judgment.
What a stain on a Democratic party would it be to run a convicted leaker to the Senate.

her reckless actions are the opposite of being a patriot

Yep. She can get fucked.

Wikileaks Turned Down Leaks on Russian Government During U.S. Presidential Campaign

In the summer of 2016, as WikiLeaks was publishing documents from Democratic operatives allegedly obtained by Kremlin-directed hackers, Julian Assange turned down a large cache of documents related to the Russian government, according to chat messages and a source who provided the records.

https://www.google.com/amp/foreignp...ernment-during-u-s-presidential-campaign/amp/

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She's trying to climb a mountain of ice wearing skates, but I wish her luck nonetheless.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Chelsea Manning is by far the most positive person I follow on Twitter, and has done way more than any of us to fight against the abuse of power fo the United States.

Sure, she isn't the perfect whistle blower and trusting wikileaks was a huge mistake, but I honestly think we need more people like her in this fucked up world.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017

LinktothePastGOAT

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chelsea Manning is by far the most positive person I follow on Twitter, and has done way more than any of us to fight against the abuse of power fo the United States.

Sure, she isn't the perfect whistle blower and trusting wikileaks was a huge mistake, but I honestly think we need more people like her in this fucked up world.

Sure, she put American lives in jeopardy but damn she is a very optimistic person! We need more people like that!

Really?

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's be fair here. Most people didn't know that Wikileaks had this agenda until long after she leaked. I'm not excusing what she did, far from it, but if we're going to judge her, it should at least be for misdeeds she knew she was committing.
Yeah, you can condemn the "52 card pickup" leak strategy without using that against her.
I'm sorry, but I see this as plain hyperbole.
It's not. She put people in harms way for absolutely no reason at all by leaking all sorts of unnecessary information.

Thisman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She was a traitor for outing state protected secrets. She broke the law. Secrets which was not harming or killing Americans. No American was being suppressed by it or persecuted as a group by it.

I don't know what is the fixation of treating her law breaking cyber anarchy act as some sort of heroism to anyone but enemies of US

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Sure, she put American lives in jeopardy but damn she is a very optimistic person! We need more people like that!

Really?

How the cables were released was the issue, not the fact that she leaked them.

No matter how you imagine you would have reacted when seeing a cover up like Collateral murder, she had good intentions.

OP
OP
Tovarisc

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I see Chelsea is as divisive as ever LOL.

"Traitor"

LOL Come on now...

What she is also Snowden is too, imo. Do you view him as traitor, hero, patriot, American...?

Both leaked classified information in order for it to be made public outside of "proper channels", in order to expose practices that were illegal and immoral.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would always say "no harm was done" unless something public happened. Stiff upper lip and all that. The issues with it screwing over sources that were cooperating w/ us was very very real.
What she is also Snowden is too, imo. Do you view him as traitor, hero, patriot, American...?

Both leaked classified information in order for it to be made public outside of "proper channels", in order to expose practices that were illegal and immoral.
Snowden sent his stuff to reputable journalists who would sift through it and hold back sensitive materials if necessary.

Deleted member 19003

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Agreed completely. Manning does not need to be in Senate.

Nokterian

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Euroland
Yes...when you provide a treasure trove of data to a psychopath egomaniac without trying to filter said information, information that put many lives in danger, you're a traitor.

First, do research..show facts..don't post bullshit.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...security-us-no-damage-report-us-a7801101.html

A whistleblower are needed..why? Because the US did War Crimes..War crimes, they killed innocent people and you are calling her a traitor? How fucking dense are people?

Snowden exposed how the NSA was spying on every single innocent US citizen and a new FiSA Act just came in place to spy even more on innocent people profiling you if you are a criminal without knowing and they know you better than anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.