• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
This is a developing situation that may end up getting worse. Probably a thing we should be keeping an eye on.

Millions of people are running out of usable water in the southern Indian city of Chennai, which is currently experiencing major droughts and a rapidly worsening water crisis.
At least 550 people were arrested Wednesday in the city of Coimbatore for protesting with empty water containers in front of the municipal government's headquarters, accusing officials of negligence and mismanagement. Meanwhile, four reservoirs that supply Chennai, the state capital and India's sixth largest city, have run nearly dry.

CNN

Kaban

Oct 25, 2017
This is a really rough situation - I just read up on the Cape Town water crisis, and it seems like they were able to get it under control in the end. Hopefully Chennai can recover similarly.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Although my GF's family doesn't live in Chennai, Mumbai is one of the cities mentioned facing water trouble. I'll have to ask how relatives in Mumbai/Delhi are doing. :(

OP
OP
Hasseigaku

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
I know Wikipedia isn't the best source in the world but Chennai appears to have approximately the same population as Baghdad or Rio de Janeiro.

Jmanunknown

Oct 26, 2017
This should be a lot of peoples most immediate and biggest fear of climate change. Droughts can and do happen and with the climate changing so rapidly they are going to be devastating when they happen especially when combined with humanities penchant for pollution and greed things are going to be bad. I hope India's government or someone finds a solution for the problem for the people in Chennai.

Rebel1

Oct 25, 2017
.... you can just see how fast is goes
gwmbdhrlpeixcw6cufps.gif

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Things are going to get pretty damn ugly globally
we're barely in the beginning of it and it's already bad. just imagine how bad its gonna get when big cities run out of water worldwide. people aren't gonna just sit around and just accept it they are gonna turn to violence.

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Prepare yourselves folks. No matter where you are or how protected you think you are from this type of thing.

Shits going to go down really badly in our lifetimes.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
This is only the start. Things are gonna go to shit if this cascades to multiple cities. Also Pakistan and India have had water sharing problems in the past and it is only going to get worse as time gets on. I would not doubt if India and Pakistan lob nukes at each other eventually over water.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
About 98% of Antarctica is covered by the Antarcticice sheet, a sheet of ice averaging at least 1.6 km (1.0 mi) thick. The continent has about 90% of the world's ice (and thereby about 70% of the world's fresh water).

BRB, becoming a water pirate.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
I really don't know how typical conservative Americans who will believe America is somehow immune from this, will react when it starts happening to major American cities.

Probably blame illegal immigrants somehow, I guess.

Probably. Because as our resources strain, others will have already strained to the point of nonexistence, as we're seeing already in many countries and communities the world over (don't forget the Arctic meltdown which is destroying ages old communities and ecosystems).

Climate refugees will make the 2010s refugee crisis look like the halcyon days. And in the most vulnerable countries, it's going to be majority black and brown people suffering and seeking escape from the misery. And with how humanity is currently, we're going to resemble something not different from what we already are - crabs in a big ol bucket of shit. That's a recipe for disaster when tribes crash together.

The most cruel thing about it is that the old money countries are virtually entirely responsible for decades upon decades of ignorance and misuse and outright intended destruction of our shared biosphere, and yet we'll feel it less and later than those who really had no major part in why the earth is re-balancing itself out of our comfort zone.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
I really don't know how typical conservative Americans who will believe America is somehow immune from this, will react when it starts happening to major American cities.

something something our golf courses, that's when people really got mad.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
So many people are going to die because of disinterest, lack of effort, and denial. It is becoming clear that very little will be done until it starts greatly disrupting western countries, and at that point, it will be too late to fix the harm we've done to our only home.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I remember when I was a little kid watching shows on the Discovery Channel about when cities run out of water in the future. I never imagined that this kind of thing would have happened so soon.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
What is the main cause of the crisis, climate change, mismanagement or urbanization?

It's basically...everything. From last year:
Why is it so bad?
To put it simply, there's too much demand and not enough supply. India's burgeoning population woes aside, climate change is seen as a major factor in the country's water crisis. Scorching summers and shortened winters have resulted in reduced snow cover and retreating glaciers in the Himalayas—the ice melt from these areas is what feeds the country's northern rivers. Add to that fickle monsoons that threaten to disrupt long-established crop patterns and you have a recipe for disaster in many parts of the country.

Then there's agriculture, which, by some estimates, accounts for 90% of India's water consumption. Farmers are sometimes slow to change what they sow and continue to grow thirsty crops like rice and sugarcane in parched regions. They meet these irrigation demands by indiscriminately extracting groundwater, which some say accounts for a quarter of the world's groundwater usage.
This has led to a substantial drop in the levels of India's water table, which is a major concern. There has been a 61% decline in the country's water levels from 2007 to 2017. Rajendra Singh, a well-known water conservationist nicknamed "India's waterman," has said that over 70% of the country's groundwater is in "overdraft", implying that more water is consumed than is replenished.

Water pollution and poor resource management have also contributed to limited availability. A study of Delhi's piped water systems a few years ago found that 40% of the city's water is lost due to pipe leaks and thefts via unauthorized connections.

But climate change is the ultimate existential threat here. It is absolutely wrecking the monsoon cycle and has been for years now, and India is extremely reliant on the cycle of these monsoons as explained in the below article.

OP
OP
Hasseigaku

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
Chennai apparently got some rain but I've heard conflicting things on how much it'll help.

Obviously anything is better than nothing but I really hope the monsoon comes earlier than expected.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I spent 12 days in Chennai in 2017. Lots of great people. That place is packed to the gills with people though.

Deleted member 33887

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I did a double take when I looked at India's population- they're within about 50-150 million people of China now depending on the estimate you use. That's absolutely nuts because they're packed in area 1/3rd the size of China. Although I guess most of China's people live near the coast, but still.

I feel like climate change deniers are going to think: well there's record rains where I'm at, what does climate change have to do with India? Already had record precipitation where I'm at for the month, and today dumped another 2 inches of rain. The Madden-Julian oscillation (which is over India) lined the jet stream up in such a way that it helped contribute to the deluge of rain in the US. And that was stacked up with the El Nino oscillation and North Atlantic oscillation.

Hard to not wonder how much warmer temperatures facilitated all of that.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017

Many religious conservatives want this to happen. A disturbing amount believe in the End of Times from the bible

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Jesus that is bad, recently here in Sweden Luleå got as much rain in one day as it would rain for a whole month. Then there are the opposite in India where it barely gets any monsoon to replenish the fast shrinking water supply

Nov 1, 2017
Is it an effect of unusually dry/hot weather right now or strictly mismanagement?

Both. Chennai had a decent catchment area which was eventually covered up to make way for high-rise buildings. Politicians/builders only cared about making money and even the ordinary people did not care about what was happening in their neighborhood until recently. Plus we faced unusually high heat wave which sucked the remaining water from the lakes.

This is stark contrast to what happened in 2015 when the city faced one the worst floods in history. South Indian Floods

imo, the main problem India has to address is overpopulation. I don't even know why my state has so many population considering we don't have a single perennial stream or snow-clad mountains.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh dear, this isn't good. Hopefully this crisis can be resolved somehow.

Some of the causes sound disturbingly familiar, too - over here in Australia, we're seeing shit like the Murray-Darling basin in trouble because of irrigators and farmers growing fucking rice and cotton. In a desert. Nevermind the competing interests of multiple states where the Murray-Darling runs through

Coal/ diesel desalination plants to keep the lobbyists happy.
While this is obviously sarcasm, desalination driven by non-carbon power is one of the pieces of the puzzle needed to solve the problem of worsening water supplies due to climate change, and India's energy policy right now is heavily geared towards a transition to alternative energy sources like renewables, even if the actual implementation isn't doing so well due to certain details scaring away potential investors, according to what I've read so far.