• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017

(CNN) — The Cherokee Nation announced Thursday that it intends to appoint a delegate to the US House of Representatives, asserting for the first time a right promised to the tribe in a nearly 200-year-old treaty with the federal government.
It was a historic step for the Oklahoma-based Cherokee Nation and its nearly 370,000 citizens, coming about a week after Chuck Hoskin Jr. was sworn in as principal chief of the tribe. The Cherokee Nation says it's the largest tribal nation in the US and one of three federally recognized Cherokee tribes.
The move raises questions about what that representation in Congress would look like and whether the US will honor an agreement it made almost two centuries ago.

Article goes into detail into what this could look like, most likely a non-voting representative like DC and Puerto Rico have. The only question is whether the white House will play ball on this 200 year old treaty...

Fergie

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
England m8.
Trump's made some disparaging comments (Lol I know) about Native Americans for years.

Would be very surprised if this administration accepts.

OP
OP
Inugami

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Being a non-voter makes it pretty pointless. They will still fight it though
It's only non-voting for bills, they'd still be allowed to participate in committees and any votes associated with those.

It would also allow them to present bills to be voted on, at least giving them a small voice in the government. More than they have now.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
You know, I wonder if the Herrera v Wyoming decision has a hand in this.
SCOTUS more or less upheld the validity of these old federal treaties and I don't fault the native nations for trying to see them honored.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
This is not the administration to ask. Or maybe it is. They will not get it tho, not with these people in charge.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Pretty sure Trump will be fine with it considering it has no negative impact on him and the Republicans.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, I agree that tribes are horribly represented in Congress and that the Cherokee Nation probably should have a representative.

On the same hand though I wouldn't want to advantage one tribe over another just based on size. However it seems a bit infeasible to give every functioning tribe a representative to Congress.

Maybe the tribes in a particular state could vote on a number of representatives based on the population of Native Americans in that state?

In any case, I doubt it'll happen but I'm glad they're pushing for greater governmental representation and continue to do that into the next administration, who/whenever that may be.

Edit: Though I agree this is the place to start, given there's a treaty requiring it.

Last edited:

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Our president invited Native American leaders and veterans to meet with him in front of a giant portrait of Andrew Jackson, the dude who instigated the Trail of Tears.
1513307204715.jpg

A better government would accept. We do not currently have a "better" government.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
On the same hand though I wouldn't want to advantage one tribe over another just based on size. However it seems a bit infeasible to give every functioning tribe a representative to Congress.
This is a strange criticism. Are the tribes in a conflict I wasn't aware of? Why does this matter at all in terms of representation?

Oct 25, 2017
If there is a treaty between the US government and the Cherokee nation, it should be honored.

However, I don't get the push for a Cherokee delegate in addition to their representative(s). Non-voting delegates make sense for US citizens who don't have voting representation. Seems kind of weird for Puerto Rico and DC, who have been in dire need of voting representation for years, to now have citizens of the Cherokee nation get the same delegate as them IN ADDITION to their senators and representatives they already have.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If there is a treaty between the US government and the Cherokee nation, it should be honored.

However, I don't get the push for a Cherokee delegate in addition to their representative(s). Non-voting delegates make sense for US citizens who don't have voting representation. Seems kind of weird for Puerto Rico and DC, who have been in dire need of voting representation for years, to now have citizens of the Cherokee nation get the same delegate as them IN ADDITION to their senators and representatives they already have.

Very different situation. Do you think the Cherokee Nation's senate have much of their interest?

Oct 25, 2017
While not being able to vote on bills (which is BS), them having a rep in Congress would be great to at least expose issues they need addressed

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
This is a strange criticism. Are the tribes in a conflict I wasn't aware of? Why does this matter at all in terms of representation?
They're not in conflict but they are separate entities with separate needs for their areas. It's not really critisism either, mostly just me thinking alound.

Representatatives work best on a local scale, and I really don't see how it should be different for tribal representatives. I certainly wouldn't want only the largest tribes in the nation getting represented, because by default that disallows the smaller tribes the same electoral power.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's not happening now. Not with these people. Good luck to them though. If they can't get it through now maybe they'll have better luck with the next democratic administration.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
I really want them in there so that every time someone says immigrants should go back were they came from a Cherokee representative can say "You go back where you came from"

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the us government not following through with promises made to native americans? dont think we've seen that before.