• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps you've seen it recently. "The real people" Chevy ads with super friendly beard guy. They're mildly annoying on their own, but now Chevy have upped the Ante, with Friendly Chevy guy flat out saying that Chevy is considered the most reliable car brand, over Ford, Honda, and Toyota by a recent study...that Chevy commissioned.

https://youtu.be/o2xrEGkIdWs

forgive me if the video doesn't play....Because Toyota flatout called Chevy out and not the ad has been pulled from their youtube playlist:

https://jalopnik.com/chevrolet-pulls-most-reliable-ad-after-being-challenged-1831800283

Jalopnik said:
Last week I detailed how some of the variables in the study were not released and therefore Chevrolet was able to make a technically correct claim about the reliability of their 2015 model year cars using a narrow operational definition and a selective data set.

However, your average consumer may take issue with this definition of "reliability" and may feel that Chevrolet is being a bit deceptive in their presentation of the data.

I was sent a tip from a salesperson at a Toyota dealer who received a communication from Toyota corporate addressing this ad. It seems the "real people" at Toyota called Chevrolet out and now the ad is being pulled from the rotation.

o5gnuuyaqyytiz47i7i7.png

Ford and Honda got into it with Chevy too:

Ford, Honda and Toyota confirmed they each challenged the 60-second TV spot, which aired in Metro Detroit during the North American International Auto Show. Its title: "Chevy Surprises Competitive Owners When It Comes To Reliability."

A lawyer for one of the three automakers who challenged the ad sent an email to GM's legal counsel this month demanding that the automaker stop making the reliability comparison claims in its advertising campaign, according to sources familiar with the correspondence. GM was given until 5 p.m. Jan. 14 to respond to the demands.

In a verbal response, a lawyer for GM told a counterpart at one of the rival automakers that Chevrolet is moving in a different marketing direction as it ramps up its campaign for the new Silverado pickup trucks, the sources said. And the GM lawyer added that the ad already had stopped airing nationally, with plans to remove the commercial from local markets in the coming weeks, the sources said.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think anybody in their right mind actually believed Chevy had their facts straight.

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
These fucking Chevy ads where they keep yanking these "REAL PEOPLE NOT ACTORS"' chains before finally telling them "ACTUALLY CHEVY WAS VOTED DA BEST" can fuck right off and yes I know how unreasonably angry that looks but I had to sit through a whole football season of that shit.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
Yeah, saw the commercial just the other day for this and even I had to pause for a second and go; 'Really?' to myself. Considering my reaction I shouldn't be surprised to learn that the study that concluded this was misleading. xD

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Honda laughs at them both. We have 2 Civics in the family one is older than my son he's 18. It's running strong af at over 300k miles. The other Civic is brand new and I expect it to last until I'm dead tbh.

Kotto

CEO of Traphouse Networks
Nov 3, 2017
Everyone knows a 2008 Corolla with its bumpers hanging off, a year past due on its oil change, and zero routine maintenance done will last you longer than any Chevy in the past 5 years.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
https://www.freep.com/story/money/c...ch-pulls-tv-ads-amid-false-claims/2598031002/
Competitor companies commented Wednesday on the ad being pulled.

"I can confirm that Honda did challenge Chevrolet's ad, but that's all we can say at this point," said Honda spokeswoman Jessica Paul." We're not prepared to provide comment or discuss details."

Toyota spokesman Curt McAllister said, "Our understanding is Chevy has decided to pull the ad."

Mike Levine, Ford spokesman, tweeted, "It's understandable that the 'real people' in the commercial would be surprised with Chevrolet's claim of being the most reliable car brand. Because it's not the case. They have agreed to take these false and misleading ads down and we'd like to see that happen immediately."
The one time Ford comes out on top out of these 3.

Going for the jugular.

Oct 31, 2017
These commercials have always come across as disingenuous as fuck and they've only continued to up it. This commercial was especially bad. The first time I saw it I thought "This has to be some bullshit". Lo and behold a "narrow selection of data" from a study commissioned by Chevrolet themselves!

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
If it was limited to trucks you might be able to convince me. Putting the whole lineup against the likes of civic, corolla, camry, etc.? Fuck right off GM.

AzureJet

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Not only is the data cherry picked, it's now more than three years old. I've seen a lot of car commercials using similar claims, but none of them used data more than a year old.

It's also pretty scummy to use the disclaimer, "Based on 2015 model year" while showing brand new models, as if the claim is still true now.

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
Chevy has come a long way with their reliability. It's better now than it was 10 years ago.

Toyota still murders them.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fire this focus group douche into the moon already. Literally the most insufferable ads on TV going on like 3 years now.

Someone on Era had the best recap of these ads and I steal it whenever I can, "Did you hear about who won the Chevy Award for Best Chevy? Surprise! It's a Chevy..."

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My sister got a new Chevy Malibu and they had several problems within the first year. So . . . yeah.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
toyotas last for like 20+ years and are cheap as heck to get parts for and repair

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
These fucking Chevy ads where they keep yanking these "REAL PEOPLE NOT ACTORS"' chains before finally telling them "ACTUALLY CHEVY WAS VOTED DA BEST" can fuck right off and yes I know how unreasonably angry that looks but I had to sit through a whole football season of that shit.
But then we would lose these....

Last edited:

FirstBlood

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
Wasn't there a top 20 "most reliable cars" list posted here a little while back that listed shit like the entertainment/nav system UI as part of the "reliability" rating?

Wouldn't be surprised if this was something similar.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
lol

I mean there are tons of 20 year old(and older) Chevys too. I see Caveliers all the time, and many of them aren't in bad shape.
Those ugly ass Cavaliers are actually sturdy mules. But the average 20+ year Chevy car has been scrapped.
Look at these shit-tastic most scrapped cars in the UK in 2015 list:
https://www.trents.co.uk/blog/top-ten-popular-scrapped-cars-2015-revealed
Or this list:
https://www.barbertonjunkcars.com/5-most-common-scrap-cars/
About what I expected.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
I like Chevy. Most of the vehicles I've had have been GM. But I can't think of the last time I thought they had a decent ad campaign.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Chevy and reliability were never really two things I associated together.

Opposite here. My family has always had Chevy's, we've never been disappointed with them. Dad currently has a truck with 175k + miles on it, mom has an SUV with about 120k, and my 2012 Sonic still feels great to drive and it's sitting at 60k.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
Those ugly ass Cavaliers are actually sturdy mules. But the average 20+ year Chevy car has been scrapped.
Look at these shit-tastic most scrapped cars in the UK in 2015 list:
https://www.trents.co.uk/blog/top-ten-popular-scrapped-cars-2015-revealed
Or this list:
https://www.barbertonjunkcars.com/5-most-common-scrap-cars/
About what I expected.
just think it's not really a strong case when people say Toyotas and Hondas last for decades when there are tons of Fords and Chevys of that age on the road still as well. Those ugly bubble Tauruses from the late 90s may be one of the most commonly junked cars, but there are still tons of them out there, see those things all the time. It's not a good measure of reliability, any car has that capability.

Hell my brother drives a 2002 Taurus that has like 200k miles on it and he drives that damn thing like he's Dale Earnhardt. It's dented and dinged but it runs fine.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
I drive an old 4runner with over 350,000 kms on it (217k miles). I can afford to get a new car but I am going to ride this until the end. Never has a problem so I see no reason to get rid of it.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Yeah, no. There are still tons of 20+ year old Toyotas and Hondas all over the place.
Yup whenever you hear these claims just ask yourself
... what early 2000 vehicles are actually out there? Cavalier? Lol my work just dropped a 2000s cavalier fleet car with like 100k km on it the thing was worth 0 dollars an utter trash heap people were getting doctors notes because the seats were so bad.

Seahawk64

Oct 27, 2017
They should compare the reliability of American cars with European cars, not Japanese cars lol.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I just heard this ad for the first time on the radio. It clearly just lifted the audio from a TV ad which was really stupid because the guy just says "When it comes to reliability, Chevy is here, Toyota is here, Ford is here, and Honda is here" repeatedly. Radio listeners can't see where you're pointing, Chevy...

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
just think it's not really a strong case when people say Toyotas and Hondas last for decades when there are tons of Fords and Chevys of that age on the road still as well. Those ugly bubble Tauruses from the late 90s may be one of the most commonly junked cars, but there are still tons of them out there, see those things all the time. It's not a good measure of reliability, any car has that capability.

Hell my brother drives a 2002 Taurus that has like 200k miles on it and he drives that damn thing like he's Dale Earnhardt. It's dented and dinged but it runs fine.
Those cars sold well, but still less than the top Honda/Toyota cars. So them being junked more often while also selling less is not exactly a good look. But since there are so many of them there are bound to still be a few strugglers around.
https://www.factmonster.com/science/transportation/top-20-selling-passenger-cars-us-1999-2001
There is just no comparison between the reliability of Japanese and American cars. It was true 20 years ago and it's still true now.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Those Chevy ads fucking suck and anyone who even partially enjoys them should be dropkicked in the groin

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I got a Acura TL right now i just hit 250k miles on. There is a slim to none chance I'd even sniff that on a Chevy. Hell even some of the euro cars as well.

If it's one thing the Japanese cars definitely are the most reliable.