• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
Those cars sold well, but still less than the top Honda/Toyota cars. So them being junked more often while also selling less is not exactly a good look. But since there are so many of them there are bound to still be a few strugglers around.
https://www.factmonster.com/science/transportation/top-20-selling-passenger-cars-us-1999-2001
There is just no comparison between the reliability of Japanese and American cars. It was true 20 years ago and it's still true now.
Don't think anyone is arguing that. I'm arguing that "there is still 20 year old Toyota and Honda cars on the road" is a meaningless measure of reliability. I still see fucking Neons on the road.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
I hate these commercials and my in-laws insistence on buying nothing but Malibus makes no sense to me. I bought a 2002 Hyundai Accent with 80k miles on it in 2005 and it finally bit the dust in 2016. Chevy can lick my truck nuts.

Last edited:

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Toyota's reliability and ability to last a long time is one of the main reasons to get one.

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
Everyone knows a 2008 Corolla with its bumpers hanging off, a year past due on its oil change, and zero routine maintenance done will last you longer than any Chevy in the past 5 years.
I work at the service department at a Toyota dealership. Legit have had Cars without an oil change in 30k miles come through and the car was mostly fine. Lol.

Kotto

CEO of Traphouse Networks
Nov 3, 2017
I work at the service department at a Toyota dealership. Legit have had Cars without an oil change in 30k miles come through and the car was mostly fine. Lol.
I'm not surprised. Friend ran is Camry into the fucking ground and it still works like he bought it yesterday. Another friend's GMC started having problems after year 1. Toyota is premium with their quality.

I still miss my 2010 Corolla. She served me well 😭😭

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
My 08 Corolla is currently sitting with 230,000 miles and with the vast majority of its factory installed components intact.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Chevy cars are reliable relative to other American cars which is not saying much. They are still better then the disastrous FCA group. But claiming to be more reliable then Toyota is laughable. Also, Honda have actually been under fire recently with their recent CRV, Civic, and Odyssey. The former two have had significant engine issues where they run very rich in cold environment. Much more then a modern vehicle is supposed to. The Odyssey has a lot of technology issues. It certainly puts them below some German car makers which is crazy.

Minx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Illinois
These commercials must be working with how long they have been airing. Pretty pathetic. I don't think I have ever hated an ad campaign so much that I have vowed to never buy one of their products.

Deleted member 36086

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I owned a 99 Tacoma that was beat to shit and the only maintenance ever needed was oil changes and brakes. I remember the last time I replaced the tires the guy at the shop said only 200k? It's still a baby!! People would regularly post notes on it asking if I wanted to sell it. After a while, I no longer needed a truck and wanted a car so I called up the number on one of the notes and it turned out to be some 18 yo kid. I asked him what he wanted to use it for and he said he needed it for his landscaping business. I wanted to help him out so I sold it to him for only $500 even though I prolly could have sold it for at least $1500.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
GM makes shit tier fast food style cars for people that don't want to do research or want the cheapest thing out there. Having owned several, I was incredibly disappointed with their microwave level effort when it came to the new Silverado. FCA just zooming by laughing at the piece of junk.

Best part about these dumb commercials is the guy that does dedicated parodies:

These commercials must be working with how long they have been airing. Pretty pathetic. I don't think I have ever hated an ad campaign so much that I have vowed to never buy one of their products.

They resonate strongly with the targeted demographic aka anyone that believes a Malibu looks like a $60,000+ BMW/Tesla combination.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
I remember the commerical at the end said something like "based on ONE recent study". Lol

American car brands keep being embarrassing.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
Opposite here. My family has always had Chevy's, we've never been disappointed with them. Dad currently has a truck with 175k + miles on it, mom has an SUV with about 120k, and my 2012 Sonic still feels great to drive and it's sitting at 60k.
Yeah... But those numbers are nothing though. Once they got 300k+ then maybe Chevy can start talking about even beginning to compare reliability to Honda and Toyota. My family had a 87 Civic with over 500k and we just eventually sold it because we wanted something with more technology.

Like 60k miles that's not even 2 years of driving for some people.

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
Yah I never trusted those adds...

I buy nothing but toyota and own two Tacoma's currently.

Ones 1998 two door Tacoma with 220k miles.All I have done is Kept up with oil changes and brakes. Still Runs Great!

Then a 2014 double cab 4x4 Tacoma with like 47k miles. About to drive from LA to Seattle next Thursday in it.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
P8F7TWR.jpg

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Saw this dumb commercial on TV with my parents and we looked at each other funny.

First thought was "it's a bold strategy"

Oct 26, 2017
My 2015 Chevy Sonic's been serving me well so far. Nearly three years, and not any major issues. I get it sent in for regular maintainence, and it's still running really well so far.

That said, I do want to get a Toyota or a Honda eventually.

LakeShore

Oct 28, 2017
It's funny, because I'm in the UK and see these ads when I watch the NFL on GamePass.

Yup, I much prefer watching the NFL in the UK via Gamepass over Sky Sports purely for getting a look at the ads that run in America. I almost feel privileged seeing this advert being from the UK now that it's been pulled :p

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Opposite here. My family has always had Chevy's, we've never been disappointed with them. Dad currently has a truck with 175k + miles on it, mom has an SUV with about 120k, and my 2012 Sonic still feels great to drive and it's sitting at 60k.

This is the sort of mileage that someone who drives American cars would brag about.

Oct 27, 2017
Any of these REAL PEOPLE commercials are so fake as shit.

I especially cant stand those fast food ones on "hidden" camera.

Like, who the fuck thinks any of those are real

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thats funny because Ive been in the car business and I know for a fact chevy isnt the most reliable and I remember that exact commercial in the Op playing during a recent football game and I thought "bullshit, there is no fucking way..."

And I was right....

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
Toyota driver here. My first Toyo was a verso van and the only "repair" in ten years was a broken light bulb. That was after owning a VW Golf which was more in repair than on the street.
Now I own a Toyo Hilux truck since over 5 years and abused the shit out of it (work truck) and it never even once failed me. I regulary tow bigass trailers and have a literally ton of load on the bed and it still brought me up mountain roads where luxury 70.000€+ SUVs got stuck.
These trucks are used by middle east terrorist groups for a reason. the US army shot them to shreds and they were still running. There are several reports of US army soldiers who were so impressed by the trucks.

There are also those two Toyoto Prius Taxi cabs in vienna which have over a million km (621,371 miles ) on the clock, no repairs (!) and are still going strong. which is insane for an early bird hybrid car
The taxi company owns more than 200 Prius hybrids and the one which reached this impressive milestone wasn't a financial burden as it didn't went through any major repairs. EcoTaxi says it didn't have any "defects or glitches" throughout its service as a taxi car and it only went through the regular maintenance. The vehicle is still in use and the taxi company wants to reach the 2M km mark in the next few years.
source: https://www.motor1.com/news/43409/toyota-prius-hybrid-does-1-million-km-as-taxi-in-vienna/

JbM3FDP.jpg

so yeah, I trust Toyota more than any other car brand.

edit: I'm not sponsored by Toyota

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Too bad the new Supra has a BMW powertrain and transmission in it. So only like 99.99% of their cars sold will be bulletproof.

At the very minimum, it'll be incredibly expensive to service.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
Toyota driver here. My first Toyo was a verso van and the only "repair" in ten years was a broken light bulb. That was after owning a VW Golf which was more in repair than on the street.
Now I own a Toyo Hilux truck since over 5 years and abused the shit out of it (work truck) and it never even once failed me. I regulary tow bigass trailers and have a literally ton of load on the bed and it still brought me up mountain roads where luxury 70.000€+ SUVs got stuck.
These trucks are used by middle east terrorist groups for a reason. the US army shot them to shreds and they were still running. There are several reports of US army soldiers who were so impressed by the trucks.

There are also those two Toyoto Prius Taxi cabs in vienna which have over a million km (621,371 miles ) on the clock, no repairs (!) and are still going strong. which is insane for an early bird hybrid car

source: https://www.motor1.com/news/43409/toyota-prius-hybrid-does-1-million-km-as-taxi-in-vienna/

JbM3FDP.jpg

so yeah, I trust Toyota more than any other car brand.

edit: I'm not sponsored by Toyota
it'll never not be exciting seeing fellow austrians here. just last week i rode one of those priuses back home from taking my BMW to service haha

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I knew something was up with that ad, it was so fake that it would be weird if the claims weren't fake too