• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Norris1020

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Based off a nationwide survey*

*survey = redneck guy with his Chevy logo hat and heartbeat of America t-shirt from 1990.

zero2000

Oct 28, 2017
Chevy just needs to bring back the "Like a Rock" commercials with montages where they completely fucking destroy their trucks by dropped big sacks of rocks and boulders on them.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I got a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a lifetime service contract.

FCA did away with the lifetime one, so next car? Toyota lol

lyte edge

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My 2015 Chevy Sonic's been serving me well so far. Nearly three years, and not any major issues. I get it sent in for regular maintainence, and it's still running really well so far.

That said, I do want to get a Toyota or a Honda eventually.

That's good to see. I just purchased a 2019 Chevy Spark Activ about a month ago and wasn't too concerned over issues since recent models have scored well. Although it's also not really an American car since it's made by the former Daewoo, GM Korea. It replaced a 2014 Scion IQ (which got totaled after a truck slammed into me) that was super-reliable and I never had a single issue with. Hoping this is as good.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Wasn't there a tv show that tried to destroy a toyota and actually failed?
Actually yeah,
a 3 parter too

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The most reliable car I ever had was a Chevy. 1998 model year. I drove it for something like 15 years.

It was a 1998 Chevy Prizm, which was built in the California NUMMI plant and was the result of a collaboration between Toyota and GM so that GM would learn to make cars like Toyota. It took them years to learn the lessons of the NUMMI plant. Like the late 00's, around the time of the crash.

Throwing shade at the car company that taught you everything you know about how to build cars correctly is a dumb idea.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Radio commercials/version of this with this same stuff are still airing, I heard one yesterday

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, they'll pull the ads, but they already got the message out there that they wanted to. I think they should be forced to put out another commercial aired during the same time slots saying that they were dishonest about their prior claims, but HAHAHAHAH that would never happen.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen that commercial numerous times, and both me and my wife just started busting out laughing when they mentioned it. Can't stand that douche from those commercials. I have a 2010 Rav4, and I'm convinced that car might outlive me. Only had one major $900 repair in 10 years and over 130,000 miles.

I haven't met anyone with a Chevy (car not truck) that either didn't trade it in within 5 years, or didn't complain about it being a lemon.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
i wonder why chevy never compares themself to subaru?

oh wait, they are top 5 nearly every year.....thats why

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Chevy and reliability were never really two things I associated together.

Honestly I've had pretty good luck with Chevy cars. Though I would still take Toyota over Chevy. I mean my Toyota is now 16 years old and I could easily see it going 10 more years with no probs. the only really major problem it had was cause some one put a shitty aftermarket exhaust on it so that's not really its fault (previous owner, not me). It's a good thing I like it cause I have already had it 10 years and I swear I'm going to get tired of it before it dies (and I'm poor so I won't be able to justify replacing it... I'm just wondering at what point do I start really wanting an excuse for a new car and keep hoping it dies and it just refuses). I've never kept a car this long.

And honestly, on top of that, if the engine does crap out, they're pretty cheap cause Toyota put them in everything (it's a Celica GT which shares its engine with the Matrix, the Corolla, the MR2).

Last edited:

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've seen that commercial numerous times, and both me and my wife just started busting out laughing when they mentioned it. Can't stand that douche from those commercials. I have a 2010 Rav4, and I'm convinced that car might outlive me. Only had one major $900 repair in 10 years and over 130,000 miles.

I haven't met anyone with a Chevy (car not truck) that either didn't trade it in within 5 years, or didn't complain about it being a lemon.
Amen.

I have an 09 corrolla, 142K miles, I replaced an alternator and water pump myself, I do the oil too, and front brakes once, I have probably spent under $1000 on this car.

It 'chirps' for a while now when cold..not sure if just a noisy belt, or a early bearing issue...but there is no reason the car doesn't hit 200K for less than $2000 in total maintenance.

My wife has a 2004 (FOUR) accord. 200K miles. very little work done on it too. We'll probably get a new car this year, just so we can feel confident on road trips with the kids...I just don't know which of the two to keep, the honda is PRISTINE under the hood and chassis, my corolla has typical surface corrosion, the honda looks new, its amazing)..might keep both and I'll just alternate driving them for a few more years.

(and yes, for anyone wondering, you can raise 2 kids (now 9 and 7) in a corolla and a 2 door accord...a $40K minivan and a matching $35K SUV aren't needed lol, this is how you accumulate 'wealth').

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Chevy cars are reliable relative to other American cars which is not saying much. They are still better then the disastrous FCA group. But claiming to be more reliable then Toyota is laughable. Also, Honda have actually been under fire recently with their recent CRV, Civic, and Odyssey. The former two have had significant engine issues where they run very rich in cold environment. Much more then a modern vehicle is supposed to. The Odyssey has a lot of technology issues. It certainly puts them below some German car makers which is crazy.

I really don't think FCA cars are as bad as people make them out to be. I worked in the service department at a Dodge Chrysler Jeep dealership for 6 years and they do make some good cars. The problem with them though is they also make bad cars. They're not consistent, and I think the bad stuff outshadows the good. Though the only good stuff they make are trucks and the larger cars, which is all they make now.

That said I still only buy Japanese cars and old Volvo's.

The most reliable car I ever had was a Chevy. 1998 model year. I drove it for something like 15 years.

It was a 1998 Chevy Prizm, which was built in the California NUMMI plant and was the result of a collaboration between Toyota and GM so that GM would learn to make cars like Toyota. It took them years to learn the lessons of the NUMMI plant. Like the late 00's, around the time of the crash.

Throwing shade at the car company that taught you everything you know about how to build cars correctly is a dumb idea.

Well, the Prizm was just a corolla.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
does anyone not think that every company twists stats to make themselves look better in ads?

Yeah, but it's interesting the other car companies are feeling threatened enough to actually bother calling Chevy out on this one (and not even by making their own ads but actually trying to force Chevy to stop).

It's obviously a working ad campaign (as much as people hate it).

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
FFS anything to get these fucking ads off of TV please, save us Toyota

UxDFmDm.png

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Everyone knows a 2008 Corolla with its bumpers hanging off, a year past due on its oil change, and zero routine maintenance done will last you longer than any Chevy in the past 5 years.
This got a good laugh outta me!
I work at the service department at a Toyota dealership. Legit have had Cars without an oil change in 30k miles come through and the car was mostly fine. Lol.
That blows my mind.
I'm not surprised. Friend ran is Camry into the fucking ground and it still works like he bought it yesterday. Another friend's GMC started having problems after year 1. Toyota is premium with their quality.

I still miss my 2010 Corolla. She served me well 😭😭
I traded my 2010 Toyota Corolla, which was my first Toyota and very much a great car, in for a 2012 Prius and have been even more pleased. I'm gonna drive this Prius into the ground (looks above at the Prius taxi post) and 100% gonna re-up with another Toyota afterwards.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Don't buy american cars. Chevy cherry picking stats shouldn't fool anybody. American trucks might be reasonably decent, but the horrible reliability of american cars is historical.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Had a 1999 Toyota Solara, about 260k miles. Ended up getting rid of it due to the exhaust rusting through at the manifold, but the car ran perfect and would have been happy keeping it if not for exhaust leaking into the interior.

I now have a 2017 Lexus and plan on keeping it 15+ years.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
My 1998 Ford Contour SVT with 220K miles is also fine? Do you think American cars can't make it to 200K+?
I also have a 2006 Dodge Caravan with 200K+

I don't know any friends or family members that have ever owned an American car within the last 20 years that ever made it to 200k. Most barely cracked 170k before having some major breakdown.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
I have a 2008 Mazda 3 with about 130k miles. Had 1 clutch replacement, and one big suspension job; around $2,500 combined. Other than that, it has been regular maintenance items like tires, brakes, etc. Probably good for at least another few years. I DID have to replace the headlight assembly, but that was self-inflicted, from hitting a deer.

Next car will most likely be a Camry or Accord. I have toyed with the idea of getting a pickup, but eh...for the amount that I would actually NEED such a car, it's just as easy to rent one from Home Depot for like $30.

As I am 38, that Camry or Accord will likely last me until I retire. I have not had a car payment in 7 years...it's nice to not have that.

(and yes, for anyone wondering, you can raise 2 kids (now 9 and 7) in a corolla and a 2 door accord...a $40K minivan and a matching $35K SUV aren't needed lol, this is how you accumulate 'wealth').

Yep! No kids here, but I have a sister, and my parents drove sedans and coupes during our entire childhoods. No station wagons, no minivans, and lo and behold, we're still alive.

Also in MOST cases there is no reason to pay extra for a 4WD vehicle. Here in NJ, there is a fair amount of snow and rain. I have driven 2WD cars for the entirety of my 21 year driving history. Again, still alive, and 0 accidents attributed to that weather. If you're worried about it, get a good set of snow tires and a hydraulic jack, and switch them out when the season comes.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
My favorite Chevy ad had some "real" customer saying strangers thought his car was an Aston Martin.
A few weeks later, they re-recorded it to have the "real" customer saying strangers thought his car was a "European sports car".

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
My favorite Chevy ad had some "real" customer saying strangers thought his car was an Aston Martin.
A few weeks later, they re-recorded it to have the "real" customer saying strangers thought his car was a "European sports car".

Imagine bragging that your car reminds people of cars people actually like.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Team Toyota. Jury's out on that new Supra though

Toyota only lightly touched the car. It's built in Austria. It's also a terrible successor to the MK4, so I hope it doesn't last.

Yeah, but it's interesting the other car companies are feeling threatened enough to actually bother calling Chevy out on this one (and not even by making their own ads but actually trying to force Chevy to stop).

It's obviously a working ad campaign (as much as people hate it).

It's not working at all. All it's doing is giving people a reason to talk about how unreliable GM products are. It is doing the opposite of what it intends. This is not a case where any publicity is good publicity.

Oct 27, 2017
The one Chevy I had was built like a tank, but I don't assume that's typical for their cars. It was a 91 Lumina, and literally got hit by an EF4 tornado and was fine. Though near the end of my time with it it did need fairly regular maintenance.

PT Cruiser was the worst car I've owned. That thing sucked.

so far my Kia Forte is pretty good. I hope it lasts a while.

StoryofSouls

Oct 27, 2017
east coast, usa
I don't give a fuck about any company and their Bull shit lies.

That being said, I absolutely love my 2017 orange chevy sonic hatch back. Also had the 2013 sonic for three years with zero issues.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Toyota only lightly touched the car. It's built in Austria. It's also a terrible successor to the MK4, so I hope it doesn't last.

It's not working at all. All it's doing is giving people a reason to talk about how unreliable GM products are. It is doing the opposite of what it intends. This is not a case where any publicity is good publicity.

Do you have stats on that? Cause i would say the other car companies actually bothering to tell them to stop says they are seeing an effect.