• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
Southern contemporaries; is CFA good enough and worth the moral dilemma to check it out?

Depends on your level of moral dilemma about it and what else you have available, but as fast food goes it's extremely consistent and their service is generally very good (Way, way better than any other fast food)

Vapelord

Oct 27, 2017
Montreal
Not sure if I've only gone to trash franchises but was never blown away by this chicken. Random rotisserie bbq chicken joints here in Montreal are better imo.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've heard conflicting stuff on the donating to anti LGBTQ stuff. At some point people were claiming that those donations stopped. Is that true? Or are they still partaking in fuckery?

They slowed around 2012 after a lot of backlash, however the owners of the company still donate as individuals considering the CEO has a hardline stance on it and they still donate to Christian organizations (who in turn can do what they want with the money, including giving it to anti-gay groups as this recent Thrillist article about the NY Chick-Fil-A notes).

It's delicious food I haven't eaten in a long while.

Skelepuzzle

Apr 17, 2018
They slowed around 2012 after a lot of backlash, however the owners of the company still donate as individuals considering the CEO has a hardline stance on it and they still donate to Christian organizations (who in turn can do what they want with the money, including giving it to anti-gay groups as this recent Thrillist article about the NY Chick-Fil-A notes).

It's delicious food I haven't eaten in a long while.

Awful, I'll continue to avoid it. We have a Raising Cane's currently under construction that I'd rather give my business to anyways. Thanks for the info.

Kitschy Kitty

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, gotcha. So the Calgary airport location is owned by someone else (presumably the airport)
The airport one is owned by Chick-Fil-a. Franchises can make a lot of money and are a lot easier to get started then your own business with all the standard processes provided by the company so they are a pretty good idea for some people. There is a lot more nuance to it though, I think the book Fast Food Nation went into the details of the benefits and problems with franchising (if you don't own the brand name, you can't pick your supplier, the company owns the property, they can terminate your franchisee agreement at regular intervals, what do you really own at that point?)

Last edited:

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
It's probably just some random person with money, not the airport. Franchises can make a lot of money and are a lot easier to get started then your own business with all the standard processes provided by the company so they are a pretty good idea for some people. There is a lot more nuance to it though, I think the book Fast Food Nation went into the details of the benefits and problems with franchising (if you don't own the brand name, you can't pick your supplier, the company owns the property, they can terminate your franchisee agreement at regular intervals, what do you really own at that point?)
neato!

shadowkat

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. Want to try but don't support the company's anti LGBQT stuff.

Curioius to see what the lines might be like.

dpanim

Oct 27, 2017
That's cool. I tried it in the US once after people telling me it was the second coming, but it just tasted like a Wendy's chicken sandwich to me.

Turbo Tu-Tone

Oct 27, 2017
Don't say we never gave you anything, Canada.

EVER.

Motherfuckers.

The Sriracha sauce on the waffle fries KILLS, so enjoy. :D

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
No thanks, no interest in supporting a company with openly bigoted values.

I'll stick to Popeyes.

Deleted member 43872

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 24, 2018
Speaking as a technical southerner, CFA is decent for chain chicken but nearly any local chicken shop around has better food for about as cheap, and has a chance of not supporting awful people. I can't imagine a city as big as Toronto won't have better local options. Also, if McDonald's has their "southern chicken sandwich" up in Canada, it's a very close clone.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Southern contemporaries; is CFA good enough and worth the moral dilemma to check it out?

The morale dilemma essentially died in 2012 when CFA stopped those practices under a new CEO who has put a stop to that. While private individuals associated with the company may still donate to anti LGBT groups or organizations, the company itself does not.

If private individuals donating their money is still enough for you to boycott, there is, unfortunately, a long list of things you would need to boycott. Still, if that's you're thing, go for it. I wouldn't consider the current situation one worthy of boycotting over though. Chick Fila is fairly solid food, and if you like chicken, even more so.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
The morale dilemma essentially died in 2012 when CFA stopped those practices under a new CEO who has put a stop to that. While private individuals associated with the company may still donate to anti LGBT groups or organizations, the company itself does not.

If private individuals donating their money is still enough for you to boycott, there is, unfortunately, a long list of things you would need to boycott. Still, if that's you're thing, go for it. I wouldn't consider the current situation one worthy of boycotting over though. Chick Fila is fairly solid food, and if you like chicken, even more so.

This article from April 2018 says otherwise:

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/a...k-fil-as-creepy-infiltration-of-new-york-city

Its headquarters, in Atlanta, are adorned with Bible verses and a statue of Jesus washing a disciple's feet. Its stores close on Sundays. Its C.E.O., Dan Cathy, has been accused of bigotry for using the company's charitable wing to fund anti-gay causes, including groups that oppose same-sex marriage. "We're inviting God's judgment on our nation," he once said, "when we shake our fist at him and say, 'We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage.' " The company has since reaffirmed its intention to "treat every person with honor, dignity and respect," but it has quietly continued to donate to anti-L.G.B.T. groups.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
They didn't stop completely. They rolled it back and kind of "launder" it through other Christian organizations.

I stand corrected. The information I had read the last time this topic came up indicated they rolled back the donations via their Chick-fil-A non for profit/charity wing. It does appear they're still doing these donations, albeit not as overtly and less explicitly than before.

Consequence

Oct 27, 2017
I will say that when driving to Florida I was also impressed with Chic Fil A's coffee. I'll be going there reasonably often for a chicken biscuit and coffee if it's the same.

The American coffee situation was odd and kind of bad? Even McDonald's coffee seemed worse there, I'm usually fine with it up here.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
It is damn good for fast food. But it is also pricey. If you have any gay friends or family you will want to avoid asking them to tag along with you. I've previously made the argument that eating there doesn't make you evil, but their continued support of anti-lgbt groups is impossible to ignore. I've chosen to axe them out of my fast food list out of respect for lgbt people. Wendy's is cheaper anyway and their nuggets are good, albeit nothing quite compares to CFA's polynesian sauce.

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know exactly how it will go in Canada but i'd definitely advise giving it a shot in the opening 2-3 days.
They give out so much free food its absolutely ridiculous.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Do they still hate the gays or have they improved? If the latter, I'm curious. I've heard many stories of their food for years.

Deleted member 31333

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I was going to say that I thought Chik Fil a came to Canada years ago but from this thread it sounds like Calgary was the only city to get one and that was where I had it.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I get their amazing waffle fries every other month. Even got them at Cedar Point once when they had a restaurant up there. Fast staff, friendly staff, and they rarely get stuff wrong. And if they do, it's usually in your favor.

Tux_

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
whats so good about this place. we will see.

ill go after the hype dies down. shit will be around the building for at least a month.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
You can tell people don't really give a shit about you as a person when all it takes is some chicken to throw you under the bus.

They still donate to anti-LGBT organizations.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
You can tell people don't really give a shit about you as a person when all it takes is some chicken to throw you under the bus.

They still donate to anti-LGBT organizations.
If you expect everyone to boycott any product linked to unethical shit so you can feel like they "give a shit about you," expect to feel that way for the rest of your life. Eating chic-fil-a doesn't make someone hate LGBTQ people or their causes.

Luchashaq

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Their food is bad and they donate to bigots. Please don't support them Toronto-Era.

Their biscuits are dry and salty.

Their chicken is soggy and mediocre.

Their staff are forced to say creepy ass shit when you go to order.

IDK how they are in business.

If you expect everyone to boycott any product linked to unethical shit so you can feel like they "give a shit about you," expect to feel that way for the rest of your life. Eating chic-fil-a doesn't make someone hate LGBTQ people or their causes.

Yeah it just means actually don't give a fuck about LGBTQ people when they would have to be even 1% inconvenienced when it comes to supporting them.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Love it. I go to my local one all the time. The workers here work their asses off for those checks and they're fairly friendly.

As for the boycott and all that, shit. My local one donates to numerous businesses around this area which supports the LBGTQ community, has LBGTQ workers and everyone I've talked to there pretty much fit the progressive stance. Sucks that others aren't like that. Thank God for some restaurants having the ability to do what they want.

The chicken is damn good!!

Last edited:

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Yeah it just means actually don't give a fuck about LGBTQ people when they would have to be even 1% inconvenienced when it comes to supporting them.
Yeah... they're called allies, not thralls. But since this is the 500th thread about chic fil a and this post is the 1,000th one pulling the hardline "if you eat chic fil a you can't be an ally" stance, I pretty much know how this convo will go.

Enjoy your moral superiority and be glad that this kind of nonsense doesn't actually impact who actually is an ally in literally any other, more important and impactful facet of their lives apart from their fast food choices.

Rmagnus

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah... they're called allies, not thralls. But since this is the 500th thread about chic fil a and this post is the 1,000th one pulling the hardline "if you eat chic fil a you can't be an ally" stance, I pretty much know how this convo will go.

Enjoy your moral superiority and be glad that this kind of nonsense doesn't actually impact who actually is an ally in literally any other, more important and impactful facet of their lives apart from their fast food choices.

Enjoy funding the anti LGBTQ group and the chicken boo but don't pretend you care.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
As a queer person who lives where it started, yes. Yes it is.

I stand corrected. The information I had read the last time this topic came up indicated they rolled back the donations via their Chick-fil-A non for profit/charity wing. It does appear they're still doing these donations, albeit not as overtly and less explicitly than before.
Yeah, that's still disappointing to read. However, I've justified my purchases as such that even though the company might be bigoted and align itself with causes that are harmful to me and my friends, the local franchisees are not at all like that and support my local community which I do like. They also are just generally nice, kind people some of whom I've met personally and have donated to gay organizations here in the city. They also generally treat their employees really well which is definitely not true of other places. I figure that's much more influential than some donations towards general anti LGBT national causes.
And plus, damnit I can't resist that chicken lol