• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

IAMtheFMan

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
This is a thread dedicated to the greatest city: home to Cubs, Sox and Fires, Hawks, Bulls and Bears, a world-class lakefront, ketchup-less hot dogs, deep dishes, and the lead in the country's government corruption!

e2533531a326096b716588a962cf44c2.jpg

As the third largest city in the United States, Chicago is home to world-class level cuisine, architecture, and mustaches.

Despite its long history and prevalence in American culture, lots of folks still have weird misconceptions about the City of Broad Shoulders. So let's clear some stuff up:

Q: Isn't Chicago full of gang violence? Like, am I gonna get shot if I go there?
A: Chicago has a definite, serious problem when it comes to gangs, brought about by a mixture of racial segregation, income inequality, and a lack of commercial opportunity in certain neighborhoods. That being said, these neighborhoods only make up a small percentage of Chicago. Bottom line, if you're a tourist, you're almost definitely not going to be anywhere near these areas. It's perhaps a double-edged sword that it's so easy to ignore these issues, because while it's not omnipresent in the life of your average Chicagoan, that apathy makes it hard to galvanize support for change.

Q: Ew, deep dish pizza is gross! Thin crust for life!
A: Okay, well that's not a question, first off. First thing: the deep dish that you've been eating outside of a Chicago ain't real deep dish. Give it a shot in Chicago. Secondly, deep dish isn't your only option when it comes to pizza in the Second City, not by a long shot. Chicago has a second signature pizza style, which is thinner, cut into squares and has a nice crunch to its crust. It's delicious, and my personal favorite when it comes to pizza-eatin' here. In fact, some of the best pizza places aren't even in the Chicago tradition so don't think it's deep dish or bust in our fine city.

Q: Okay, I'm in town for the weekend. What should I do with my 48 hours there?
A: It really depends on what you're into. Of course, there are the usual tourist stays; the Magnificent Mile downtown with its luxury shops and world-class architecture, the parks including Grant and Millenium Park, especially with the free concerts and movies in the summertime, walking/running or biking the Lake (multiple rental sites). The Museum Campus has multiple world class museums including the Field Museum (natural history) Shedd Aquarium and Adler Planetarium. There also is the Museum of Contemporary Arts but my favorites tend to be the world class Art Institute and Museum of Science and Industry (MSI especially great for kids). Otherwise, aside from the usually tourist haunts, we'd suggest exploring more of the neighborhood scenes.

Q: What neighborhoods should I visit/stay in?
A: The great thing about Chicago is its vibrant diversity in neighborhoods. There's a saying in Chicago: if you're not a fan of where you're at, just walk a quarter-mile in any direction and you'll find something different. If you're into raging clubs and girls in tight dresses, hit up River North. If you're a trendy hipster, check out Wicker Park. If you're gay and want to party, Boystown or Andersonville is awesome. If you're into craft beer bars or more of a divey atmosphere, well, those are everywhere - Ukranian Village, Logan Square, Pilsen, Humboldt Park and many other neighborhoods can service this need. The takeaway here is that Chicago has something for everybody, so if you need advice on where to stay/hang out, let us know what you're into. Chances are there's an area that caters specifically to folks like you!

Q: What's the deal with Navy Pier?
A: The number one tourist site in the Midwest unfortunately has a history of inducing eye-rolls from Chicago locals. It was seen as a big tourist trap with big chains, overpriced souvenirs and a typically soulless vibe. Having said that, over the last several years the city has tried to revitalize the area and they have done a pretty good job of making it more unique and open for locals as well. It wouldn't be a top recommendation to see still, but it's nowhere near as tourist-trappy that it was even 10 years ago.

Q: We've talked about pizza, but what other awesome food can I get in Chicago?
A: Oh, man, that's a hard one to answer. Chicago has one of the best food scenes in the world, and offers amazing options for everything from fine dining to Korean BBQ to Mexican and everything in between. We take a lot of pride in our restaurants, and it shows. One of the hottest and trendiest streets in the row has been redubbed "Restaurant Row" on Randolph Street due to the influx of amazing restaurants from world class chefs. Otherwise, people tend to love the food here, whether they're dropping serious bills at Alinea, grabbing late-night dim sum at Minghin or eating a jibarito (Puerto Rican invention - it's a steak sandwich with fried plantains instead of bread) for $6.

Q: I heard someone from Chicago say they've got beaches there. Uhhh, I mean, there's a lake, but come on, seriously?
A: While Chicago can't really compete with the fucking OCEAN, Lake Michigan is massive and beautiful in its own right, and the beaches here are actually really nice. North Ave Beach is a little more busy and active, but if you just wanna chill out, Montrose Beach is usually quieter.

Q: Do I need a car if I'm visiting Chicago?
A: Depending on where you're staying, the public transit options will differ, but from my perspective, nope, you really don't. The CTA (Chicago Transit Authority) has our city pretty well supplied with busses, and we've also got the L (short for Elevated Rail), our municipal rail. There's also the Metra, which covers many of the suburbs that make up Chicagoland. You can pick up a 7-Day Pass for only $28, and you'll be set.

Q: I've heard O'Hare is a living nightmare. Should I try to fly into Midway instead?
A: Good question! Chicago has two major airports - O'Hare, which is northwest of the city, and Midway, which is southwest of downtown. Both have direct access to the Loop via the Blue Line for O'Hare or the Orange Line for Midway. So it really comes down to where you're staying, and which line will provide easier access. I actually prefer O'Hare, since I live off the Blue Line, plus O'Hare is just a newer, nicer airport, with more stuff to do if you need to kill time. Midway is certainly serviceable, but it's much smaller, and it shows its age more.

Q: I've been here for two days already and I haven't heard a single person talk like Bill Swerski. This is bullshit!
A: Well, Chicago's a pretty big city, and many people who live here aren't actually from Chicago. So if you want to hear somebody say, "Yah, well da Bearse are gunna go awl da way dis year, see, dey got an all-new coach and it's really gunna pay awf," you'll either have to stick it out longer or go to the suburbs. Believe me, I love regional American accents, and I treasure these moments.

Now that we've cleared that up, let's talk recommendations!

Food recs!

Pizza:
As mentioned, the pizza scene is great.
  • Pequod's in Lincoln Park: Probably the best Deep Dish pizza; the crust is slightly burned to caramelize the cheese. Really quite delicious.
  • Lou Malnati's/Giordano's/Gino's East: These are the local chain deep dish pizza places. They're pretty much all over the place and opinions vary. Personally, I get a hankering for a Lou's deep dish maybe once a year. They all have the tavern thin crust though, and they are decent.
  • Piece Brewery and Pizzeria in Wicker Park: Brewery with New Haven style pizza.
  • Spacca Napoli and Coalfire: Two places considered to have some of the best pizzas in Chicago. These are Neapolitan style, so more flatter with a slightly soggier middle but absolutely delicious.
  • Bonci Pizzeria in West Loop: A new addition, this is the first Bonci to be opened in the U.S and outside of Italy, it's a focaccia style pizza/Roman style crust.
  • Dante's Pizzeria: Great NY style slices
  • Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder: This one is really good. It's kinda weird though; the pizza is almost like a pot-pie then anything else.

Burgers/Dogs/Sandwiches: Burgers and dogs are everywhere in Chicago. The Chicago dog is particular is an all beef dog on a poppy seed bun with mustard, chopped onions, a pickle tomatoes, peppers, celery salt and bright green relish. Traditionally, no ketchup should be on the dog. There's also a number of other notable sandwiches which I'll try to point out.
  • Portillo's (multiple locations): Local chain for burgers, dogs and Italian beef (see below). It's decent. They have a chocolate cake milkshake though too. Seriously.
  • Superdawg: Kind of out of the way in the suburbs of Wheeling, but old school drive through with excellent dogs.
  • Fatso's Last Stand: A pretty good spot for dogs, though IMO a little smaller then what you can get elsewhere.
  • The Wiener Circle: I guess special mention should be made of this place. It's an ok stand for dogs, but that's not its claim to fame. See this clip if you're interested in seeing what makes it unique.
  • Al's Italian Beef/Buona/Luke's/Novi's/The Original Italian Beef: There are multiple places for Italian beef; it's thinly sliced, slow roasted beef with the whole sandwich topped with giardienera (hot peppers) or sweet peppers and dunked in gravy, bread and all. It's messy and not for the faint of heart.
  • Kuma's Corner: Now with multiple locations. The original is a heavy metal bar but with amazingly good burgers some of the best in the city.
  • Au Cheval/Small Cheval: This could go into the "trendy" section as the original is kind of a foodie destination but recently has made waves as Food Network and Business Insider have named it the Best Burger in the Country. I dunno about that but it's a tasty burger (with a full diner menu as well).
  • Ricobene's: A pizza place on the south side (you may have seen the pizza boxes on Showtime's Shameless since it's a favorite of the Gallagher's) but it's the breaded steak sandwich that USA today proclaimed as the best sandwich in America.
  • Silver Palm: Special mention for this old railroad dining car; they have a sandwich called the 3 Little Pigs. Ham, Pork Tenderloin and Bacon with cheese and an egg. Anthony Bourdain calls it the greatest sandwich in America. Eat one then check yourself into an ER.

Trendy/Upscale: Chicago boasts one of the most vibrant upscale dining scenes in the country. Many chefs are driving innovation not only in the city, but truly through the country. If you're at a loss and just want to go to where the action is, check out Randolph Street and Fulton Market in the West Loop. A few notable restaurants to mention though:
  • Alinea: Run by Grant Achatz who propelled and helped defined molecular gastronomy in the States. Alinea is still one of the best restaurants in the world that will astound and amaze you. It's not cheap by any means but if you want that 4+ hour once in a lifetime dining experience that will stick with you the rest of your life, this is it.
  • Next: Achatz's sister restaurant. Still fine dining but they literally reconceptualize the food to a different place and time every 4 months. One time it may be an Escoffier-esque experience from the Paris Ritz in 1906, another it may be a whimsical take on food from your childhood; another may be a modern take on ancient Roman food, etc.
  • Girl and the Goat: Run by Top Chef winner Stephanie Izard, this place is still always packed and is definitely a see and be seen type of place. It doesn't hurt that the food is excellent.
  • Parachute: Another Top Chef alum, Beverly Kim's Korean-fusion place.
  • Publican: A personal favorite; beer, pork and oysters. What's not to like?
Steakhouses: Ah the old standby. Chicago's known for being a steak town due to all the old meat packing/stockyard history. You can't go very far without running into a great steakhouse.
  • Gibson's: Seems like it's been around forever but still a go-to steakhouse. Great steaks and a definite Chicago vibe.
  • Chicago Cut Steakhouse: For my money, the leader in terms of Steakhouses (don't get confused with Chicago Chop which is NOT on the same level).
  • Maple and Ash: A newer trendy take on steakhouses; definitely sexier but the food is amazingly good.
  • RPM Steak: High priced Steakhouse in the middle of downtown Chicago. Pretty big scenester place.
  • Boeufhaus: A no frills type of steakhouse; come dressed as you are, but get prepared for some of the biggest beefiest steaks in the entire city.
  • Prime and Provisions: Want to feel like you're Don Draper? This is the place for you. Elegantly going for an old school vibe, massive steaks, big bourbon/scotch list, cigar service and all.
  • Gene and Georgetti: Chicago's old-school steakhouse/Italian joint. While the food is only decent IMO, the vibe feels like Michael Corleone's arranging a hit there.
Hot Takes
For Korean food, Crisp has excellent fried chicken as does Bonchon although Great Seas (in old Koreatown) still has the traditional lollipop chicken wings with a definite kick. Chosun Ok is great for Chadolbaegi (thinly sliced unmarinated ribeye) though gets crowded. Sansoo Gabsan is overall a noteworth experience.

For Chinese food and dim sum, Chicago's Chinatown has some great options but others exist elsewhere. Minghin has multiple locations and has late night dim sum, though Cai and Dolo are still probably top tier. Joy Yee's Noodles has a giant menu and great bubble teas. Lao Szechuan has multiple locations as well and has the best Szechuan food in the city. Hing Kee has freshly made noodles and soupy dumplings (Xiao long bao). Sun Wah in Uptown specializes in roast duck which is great.

Ramen and Sushi: probably the best Ramen in the city is not in the city but at Arlington Heights at the supermarket complex Mitsuwa. However there are some great Ramen places to be had in the city; these include Furious Spoon, Slurping Turtle, Oiistar, Ramen Takeya, Strings, Wasabi and Ramen Misoya. For sushi, consider: Arami, Coast/South Coast, and Katsu in Rogers Park. Tanoshii is excellent as well with a few different locations now.

Vietnamese is localized mainly in Uptown on Argyle street. Pho 777 is great. Ba Le is across the street from Tank and has great Banh Mi. Elsewhere, Haisous in Pilsen is a trendier take on Vietnamese and Thai food.

Indian: The best Indian food tends to be on Devon street (pronounced dev ON). Udupi Palace has both North and South food and typicall has great service. Ghareeb Nawaz is dirt cheap and you get a massive amount of food for the price. Uru-Swati is also both North and South vegetarian options but again pretty cheap for what you get. Tandoo Char House has great meat options

Mexican: While Rick Bayless, world class chef has 4 restaurants in Chicago now (Frontera Grill, Topolobambo, Xoco, and Leña Brava) some of the best Mexican food is in Pilsen or other areas. Carnitas Don Pedro and Carnitas Uruapan specialize in… well carnitas. Martinez Supermarket may be the greatest hidden eatery; hidden behind the grocery store is a counter for food; their 3 pound burritos are absolutely amazing. Other recommendations would include L'Patron and El Milagro.

The newest trend now has been the large food halls. These are like old food courts, but usually have higher end, chef-driven stalls. These include Revival Food Hall in the Loop, Forum 55 and Latinicity. Similar to this concept is Eataly which is slowly expanding nationwide (though still a great locale) and also the French Market. You could also make your way up to some of the big Asian supermarkets such as Mitsuwa for Japanese food in Arlington Heights, Assi, Joong Boo Market or the multiple H Marts (including one coming to the West Loop area soon!) for Korean Food, and Seafood City for a plethora of Filipino food.

And that's really only a sliver of what's available. There are tons of other places, and types of food that we could recommend. The best advice I can give you is to be adventurous and seek out places outside your comfort zone, both in terms of taste and area. You'll probably be pleasantly surprised!

NIGHTLIFE
General Bars
: So many goddamn bars. These are really just some of my favorites. Good bars are everywhere in this city, catering to all flavors and tastes. A few to consider include Hopleaf in Andersonville, Scofflaw in Logan Square, Alice's Lounge & Karaoke in Avondale, Empty Bottle in Ukrainian Village, The Owl in Logan Square. The Map Room in Wicker Park. For high end specialty bars, you could consider Cindy's, Violet Hour, Three dots and a Dash, The Aviary/Office.

Arcades & Barcades:
These are seemingly everywhere now. While there are multiple barcades like Emporium Arcade Bar, Replay and Headquarters Beercade in Lakeview and River North old school arcades exist including Logan Arcade and specifically Galloping Ghost which is one of the biggest old school arcades in the country with an amazing selection, and a clear conservation effort for old titles. It is really seriously impressive and was even where a previous-forum meetup was held.

Live Shows and Music: A ton of places including Double Door, Lincoln Hall, The Hideout, and Metro. For a little bit lighter note, you can head to the Green Mill for jazz, and also to tour one of Al Capone's old hangouts (his booth is still there). For other live non-music shows, consider a weekly taping of NPR's Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, Second City for sketch or improv, or surrealist theater by The Neofuturists. There's a bunch of comedy clubs including the original Zanies, Laugh Factory, and other clubs that I'm probably too uncool to know about. In addition, Chicago has a vibrant theater scene with touring and sometimes or second production Broadway shows (i.e. Book of Mormon, Hamilton) but also with original works at the Steppenwolf, Goodman and other theaters. Chicago's Shakespeare Theater also has productions throughout the year at their home in Navy Pier.

Movie Theaters: Obviously, you can find movie theaters everywhere but Chicago has some great independent theaters including The Music Box, The Siskel Film Center, Facets Cinematique and so forth.

In addition, throughout the year there will be festivals in the city such as:

• C2E2
  • Comiccon Chicago
  • Lollapalooza
  • Riot Fest
  • St. Patrick's Day Parade (AKA Drunk People-Watching Day)
  • Chicago Pride Festival & Parade (usually on different weekend)
  • Pitchfork Music Festival
  • Jazzfest
  • Blues Fest
  • Chicago Air and Water Show
  • Chicago Marathon, Half-Marathon, Hot Chocolate, Shamrock Shuffle, Bike the Drive, Chicago Triathlon, etc. (basically if you want to run or exert yourself, you don't have to wait very long in Chicago)
  • Market Daze
  • Ribfest
  • Bacon Fest
  • Poutine Fest
  • Mac N Cheese Fest
  • Taste of Chicago
  • Taste of Every Other Goddamn Major Street/Neighborhood in Chicago
  • Logan Square Beerfest
  • About 10 Million Other Festivals Between April and October, etc. etc. etc.
If there's something that wasn't covered, don't be afraid to ask! We're Midwest people… laid back and friendly. Welcome to Chicago and enjoy your stay!

Special thanks to Viewt, Sai, Kitchemotors, Kisaya and toadsworth.

Last edited:

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Hope this thread will be a bit more active here? We've gotten off to a great start I see, lol.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I posted a little bit on ChicagoGAF back in the day but then I left the city. Now I'm back!

It got cold fast, and my body is not happy about it.

Crow

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah got cold way too fast. Hoped we'd stick around in the 60s/70s for at least a little while longer.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Hey hey! I was thinking about putting this thread up, as well - glad to be beaten to the punch! Hopefully everyone from our little corner finds this soon.

Also, waking up at 5:30AM these past couple days to take the dog out has not been fun. I've just been throwing on my parka. Fuck it.

EDIT: Oh, and if we're reintroducing ourselves, hello again! I live in Logan Square, but we're likely going to be moving to Uptown/Andersonvillle/Edgewater in February/March. Our new landlord has no idea how to manage a building.

Crow

Oct 25, 2017
Welcome! The fam and I go to Argyle quite a bit for Pho and Bahn mi.
I'm a big fan of Chiu Quon Bakery on Argyle. Love their bbq pork and red bean baked buns. It's 30 minutes from work and they're only like a $1 each, so I end up coming back with a big box for the office.

Last edited:

Box of Kittens

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I only posted occasionally on the old thread, but it's definitely nice to see yet another community making the migration.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just wondering why the op didn't list the best sports team in Chicago, the Chicago Blackhawks. Do three parades in less than a decade mean nothing? For shame.

catskratch

Oct 25, 2017
Live out west in Lagrange, but have always enjoyed reading the old thread and mostly finding awesome new places to eat and visit. Glad to see things are carrying over to here.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Hi again, Chicagoans!

I live in Andersonville! It's nice to get our lil community back :)

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I feel like this transition has been especially rough on me. I'm usually totally fine with colder weather, and I was actually excited about the fall, but yeah, these past couple days have been rough. Between the cold and there being so little sun, I'm seriously considering a SAD lamp. My boss swears by his... Anyone here have any experience with them?

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
lmk how it works for you. i've always wanted one of those cubes for myself. i'm horrible in cold weather and our radiators havent been working in our apartment yet so like, i literally spent almost the entire day just trying to stay warm in bed today

awful stuff

Kisaya

Oct 25, 2017
Hi Chicago neighbors.

The cold has been okay for me, just hard to dress up for events and such. I think the rain was what bothered me the most of all. The fact that so many neighborhoods in this city flood so easily makes my commute very unbearable.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Totally. We were driving back from Naperville a couple weeks back when it was raining for like two days straight. At one point, the water was so high up we weren't sure if we'd be able to drive through it. Luckily, after going crazy slow, we managed to get past it and onto 290.

OP
OP
IAMtheFMan

IAMtheFMan

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
The SAD lamps work really well. I recommend them to patients for other reasons (regulating sleep schedules and stuff) but it can definitely help with energy, fatigue and feeling more awake. If you get one, get a 10,000 Lux lamp for 30 minutes in the morning (but don't stare directly at it.) :)

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
I got chosen to take part in a focus group for a "shooter" video game at John Hancock Monday night. Anyone else?

Anyone else participate in one of these before?

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Hi ChiEra! First post here, occasionally posted in the old thread. Gold Coast resident.

On a weather basis, this has got to be one of the most pleasant years in Chicago that I can remember. It's been great, so I can forgive the sudden 40 degree weather.
Need to purchase some winter apparel this weekend though. Have been really lazy about getting ready for the cold.

Friend took me to Irazu recently. If you haven't been, I sincerely recommend it!

Courier 7

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Just posting to add another name in the OT. Doesn't seem as active as I thought it would. Glad it's finally fall.

macintosh

Oct 27, 2017
Hi all , just posting to introduce myself. Was a big lurker in the previous forum. Northside represent!!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Commuting from Edgewater to the Loop and back for a job I can't stand is draining so much out of me this year. I keep passing out on the bus ride home.

I miss Lincoln Park, folks. I miss it so much.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Commuting from Edgewater to the Loop and back for a job I can't stand is draining so much out of me this year. I keep passing out on the bus ride home.

I miss Lincoln Park, folks. I miss it so much.

Oh? I'd think commuting to the Loop would be easy via the red line in Edgewater, though I suppose, depending on where exactly you are, an easy train ride might not line up as well.

But I'd be interested to hear why it's so brutal, since I'll likely be moving that way early next year.

nomemorial

Oct 27, 2017
Hi, all. Live in Oak Park, work up in Rosemont. Don't get into the city as much as I'd like, but moved up here a few years ago and have enjoyed my time since. So much more to do, see, and eat (especially eat) than I've ever been used to in my life and it's overwhelming! (which is probably one of the reasons I just end up staying home when I'm not working, haha)

OP
OP
IAMtheFMan

IAMtheFMan

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Hi, all. Live in Oak Park, work up in Rosemont. Don't get into the city as much as I'd like, but moved up here a few years ago and have enjoyed my time since. So much more to do, see, and eat (especially eat) than I've ever been used to in my life and it's overwhelming! (which is probably one of the reasons I just end up staying home when I'm not working, haha)

Hey welcome. Oak Park's a nice area with a cool vibe. I used to work in Berwyn so I got to know Oak Park a bit. I like some of the breweries in that area.

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
What's up ChiERA

Born and raised south side of Chicago, Hyde Park. Moved out west to make video games but Chicago will always be home.

nomemorial

Oct 27, 2017
Hey welcome. Oak Park's a nice area with a cool vibe. I used to work in Berwyn so I got to know Oak Park a bit. I like some of the breweries in that area.

I like it a lot. My spouse is pretty busy all the time and I live pretty low-key, so it's nice being close to the city but not IN it. Plus the bonus of having a lot of good restaurants/bars (the latter moreso in Forest Park) nearby is great.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Oh? I'd think commuting to the Loop would be easy via the red line in Edgewater, though I suppose, depending on where exactly you are, an easy train ride might not line up as well.

But I'd be interested to hear why it's so brutal, since I'll likely be moving that way early next year.

It's mostly that the red line gets me down to the Loop, but then I have to walk all the way across it to actually get to work. So my commute is almost an hour when it used to be under 20 minutes when I lived in LP.

If I liked what I do, it'd be less of a hassle. But for a job that gives me basically nothing, that's two hours a day wasted, essentially.

timvasion

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
Hey All! I'm gonna be in Chicago next Friday for a concert at the House of Blues. Anyone have a favorite spot not far from there for some classic deep dish pizza?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Hey All! I'm gonna be in Chicago next Friday for a concert at the House of Blues. Anyone have a favorite spot not far from there for some classic deep dish pizza?

Lou Malnati's isn't far from there (few blocks away on Wells), but if you're up for some ultimate tourist food that isn't pizza, Portillo's is right up the street from the HOB.

I'm anti-deep dish (Italian household, we have strict preferences when it comes to crust composition) so I couldn't recommend you anything past Lou's, unfortunately.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Take the Red Line from Grand to Fullerton and walk 15 minutes to Pequod's. You're closer to Lou Malnati's, Uno's, etc, but Pequod's is notably better. By a lot.

Also, get some thin crust, too. Venture out into the neighborhoods for it. You won't be disappointed.

timvasion

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
Lou Malnati's isn't far from there (few blocks away on Wells), but if you're up for some ultimate tourist food that isn't pizza, Portillo's is right up the street from the HOB.

I'm anti-deep dish (Italian household, we have strict preferences when it comes to crust composition) so I couldn't recommend you anything past Lou's, unfortunately.
Cool! Might have to check one of those out. I'll have to see what my friends are up for. As Iowans we aren't picky on our style of crust. :)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Cool! Might have to check one of those out. I'll have to see what my friends are up for. As Iowans we aren't picky on our style of crust. :)

Portillo's does incredible hot dogs and pretty damn good burgers, if either of those are your style. Their milkshakes are good too. If you can shake it, do them AND a deep dish joint for the one-two punch of Chicago Tourist Chow.

timvasion

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
Portillo's does incredible hot dogs and pretty damn good burgers, if either of those are your style. Their milkshakes are good too. If you can shake it, do them AND a deep dish joint for the one-two punch of Chicago Tourist Chow.
Oh man, depending on how late they are open we can try to hit one before the show and one after.

Kisaya

Oct 25, 2017

I will say that living in Andersonville it's hard to get around other parts of the city aside from the loop. But that's mostly the fault of the CTA being so poorly designed. Living in Lakeview was pretty nice because there were so many buses in the neighborhood that could take me anywhere.

In a perfect world I would probably want to live in West Town so that I wouldn't have to worry about the distance to other parts of the city.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I will say that living in Andersonville it's hard to get around other parts of the city aside from the loop. But that's mostly the fault of the CTA being so poorly designed. Living in Lakeview was pretty nice because there were so many buses in the neighborhood that could take me anywhere.

In a perfect world I would probably want to live in West Town so that I wouldn't have to worry about the distance to other parts of the city.

That's really part of it. Almost ALL of my friends are in Lakeview or LP, so living this far north means I have to exert considerable effort to get to them. And getting anywhere BUT Lakeview or the Loop is even harder. I had to go to Logan Square today and I had to take the train AND multiple buses, which is just a lot of time and energy just to do a thing.

Kisaya

Oct 25, 2017
That's really part of it. Almost ALL of my friends are in Lakeview or LP, so living this far north means I have to exert considerable effort to get to them. And getting anywhere BUT Lakeview or the Loop is even harder. I had to go to Logan Square today and I had to take the train AND multiple buses, which is just a lot of time and energy just to do a thing.

Yeah I feel you. It's also annoying and expensive to depend on Ubers because of how inconvenient the commute is.

Logan Square/Blue Line side is always gonna be a pain in the ass if you live in the North East part of the city. My first job was in Wicker Park and even living in Lakeview I had to take two buses.

ToD_

Oct 27, 2017
Good to see this thread made a return here. I commute from Andersonville to work downtown most days. It definitely is and feels longer than it used to be from Lakeview. Thankfully, I really do like the Andersonville neighborhood and my apartment, and they more than make up for the increased commute.

It's about a 10 minute walk to the Red line at the Berwyn station for me, and another 10 minute walk from the Lake stop to work. I have the option to transfer to the Brown line on the way in at Belmont or Fullerton, which I often make use of. This cuts down the amount of walking by about 5 minutes, with similar overall commuting time. Good for colder, rainy or just straight up lazy days.

Edit: Just wanted to mention that it's actually really easy to get to Wicker Park (or anywhere on Damen) from Andersonville since the Damen bus starts on Ashland. Getting to Logan still sucks, though.

Last edited:

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Yeah I feel you. It's also annoying and expensive to depend on Ubers because of how inconvenient the commute is.

Logan Square/Blue Line side is always gonna be a pain in the ass if you live in the North East part of the city. My first job was in Wicker Park and even living in Lakeview I had to take two buses.

I've been dealing with the reverse (living in Logan, but having friends/stuff of interest in Lakeview/broader North side) for the last 4.5 years, so if that's the worst of it, I can probably deal just fine.

Honestly, working right off the red line, my commute will probably improve after the move to Andersonville/Edgewater.

Really, the worst part is going to be losing the Blue line commute to O'Hare. It's so choice. I can be there in literally 25 minutes.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I've been dealing with the reverse (living in Logan, but having friends/stuff of interest in Lakeview/broader North side) for the last 4.5 years, so if that's the worst of it, I can probably deal just fine.

Honestly, working right off the red line, my commute will probably improve after the move to Andersonville/Edgewater.

Really, the worst part is going to be losing the Blue line commute to O'Hare. It's so choice. I can be there in literally 25 minutes.

Yeah...when I lived in Andersonville and still flew regularly, I just took an Uber straight west to O'Hare. There's just no point in doing the red-to-blue conversion. It's over an hour and you'll inevitably end up having to stand for large chunks of it.