• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cowtools

Jul 20, 2020
Canada
Hey Chicago ERA,

Any Spirit of the Beehive fans in the Chicago area? I bought tickets for their show on September 6 at the empty bottle but probably have to work now.

DM me if you're interested/know any interested parties.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I popped out to grab dinner and when I came home the keys kept falling from my hand because of how much I was sweating. Jesus christ

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So we're getting a CosMc's in Boilingbrook, which I guess is a test concept for some McDonalds offshoot? I have no idea when it will actually open, but figured I'd let people know. I'm not a huge fan of normal mcdonalds.

Arrowgigantic

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
I'm moving to Chicago in May! What are the broadcast radio stations that have electronic music shows? Seems like Radius gets the top touring DJs, what other venues have resident DJ shows?

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I'm moving to Chicago in May! What are the broadcast radio stations that have electronic music shows? Seems like Radius gets the top touring DJs, what other venues have resident DJ shows?

Smartbar | Live Music, Concerts, and Events | Chicago, IL

Smart Bar is Chicago’s independent nightclub, celebrating 35 years of showcasing new and exciting dance music and the most cutting edge DJ’s from around the globe.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Hey, for anyone looking to make a donation this holiday season -

Almost A Decade After Police Killed Her Son, Chicago Mom Celebrates His Birth With Holiday Toy Drive

Screenshot-2023-11-10-at-2.50.47-PM-copy.jpg

The ninth annual RonnieMan Holiday Toy Drive is underway, founder Dorothy Holmes said. She started the drive during the 2014 holiday season — just a couple months after Chicago police officer George Hernandez killed her 25-year-old son, Ronald "RonnieMan" Johnson III.

"By [Johnson] not being here anymore to get his birthday gifts and Christmas gifts, I came up with the idea of helping some kids in need," Holmes said. "I'd rather do work in the community, which would involve helping other families in the struggle that can't get their kids anything for Christmas."

Toys of all types — from Tickle Me Elmos and sensory toys for kids with autism to mini-basketball hoops and remote-controlled cars — are requested.

This year, Holmes is also accepting gift cards for the first time. Some eighth-graders last year "were looking at me like, 'We're too big for toys,'" before Holmes talked them into taking some for their younger loved ones, she said.

Unwrapped gifts can be dropped off at five locations:

• Chicago Alliance Against Racist and Political Repression, 6353 S. Cottage Grove Ave. in Woodlawn.
  • Chicago Torture Justice Center, 6337 S. Woodlawn Ave. in Woodlawn.
  • Haymarket House, 800 W. Buena Ave. in Uptown.
  • 1917 W. Berenice Ave. in North Center.
  • 5757 N. Ridge Ave. in Edgewater.

To donate to the drive's GoFundMe, click here. To buy items from the drive's Amazon wish list and send toys directly to Holmes, click here.

Great cause that I've donated to in prior years. If you can spare it, they're great people.

TylerD

Oct 25, 2017
Hi ChicagoERA! I've been enamored with the city since I got back from my trip in February. Spent 4 days there and it seems I've fallen hard for your great city.

I currently live in San Antonio and work remote and am planning on bringing my dog (and maybe a car) for a month long stay sometime in 2024 as a trial to see if I do want to commit to a more permanent move in 2025 after I pay off a home improvement and auto loan. That along with the possibility of renting my house out could provide me ample additional income to experience all of Chicago like I would want.

I'm a 40yr old straight white male and currently make around 80k a year and interested in neighborhoods that one might consider a bit quieter but with decent walking access to the L. Being close to and using transit and cycling when I get comfortable with cycling in a more urban setting is paramount to the experience.

I'd say some of the neighborhoods off the brown line are more my speed for this time in my life. I had a great day that started with eating at Bryn Mawr Breakfast Club, then spending several hours at Half Acre Brewing after bussing and walking around the areas close by and finally eating at Luella's Southern Kitchen then riding the brown line while shooting some footage around the loop and finally ending up back at my hotel room in River North.

Just looking on AirBnB I see a potential intriguing match where I could stay in a bedroom with shared space with the owner of a town home in Lincoln Park for about $1800 for that trial month after fees. They say parking permit would be provided and It's a block away from the red/brown/purple lines. Seems like a potential slam dunk to me that I might want to book sooner rather than later.

I think more permanently a rent around $2k up to the average CHI apartment rent for a 2bed/1bath or a "larger" 1 bed would probably be where I'd want to be for relative comfort.

Anyway, just really excited about this potential new adventure and open to any thoughts

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Hi ChicagoERA! I've been enamored with the city since I got back from my trip in February. Spent 4 days there and it seems I've fallen hard for your great city.

I currently live in San Antonio and work remote and am planning on bringing my dog (and maybe a car) for a month long stay sometime in 2024 as a trial to see if I do want to commit to a more permanent move in 2025 after I pay off a home improvement and auto loan. That along with the possibility of renting my house out could provide me ample additional income to experience all of Chicago like I would want.

I'm a 40yr old straight white male and currently make around 80k a year and interested in neighborhoods that one might consider a bit quieter but with decent walking access to the L. Being close to and using transit and cycling when I get comfortable with cycling in a more urban setting is paramount to the experience.

I'd say some of the neighborhoods off the brown line are more my speed for this time in my life. I had a great day that started with eating at Bryn Mawr Breakfast Club, then spending several hours at Half Acre Brewing after bussing and walking around the areas close by and finally eating at Luella's Southern Kitchen then riding the brown line while shooting some footage around the loop and finally ending up back at my hotel room in River North.

Just looking on AirBnB I see a potential intriguing match where I could stay in a bedroom with shared space with the owner of a town home in Lincoln Park for about $1800 for that trial month after fees. They say parking permit would be provided and It's a block away from the red/brown/purple lines. Seems like a potential slam dunk to me that I might want to book sooner rather than later.

I think more permanently a rent around $2k up to the average CHI apartment rent for a 2bed/1bath or a "larger" 1 bed would probably be where I'd want to be for relative comfort.

Anyway, just really excited about this potential new adventure and open to any thoughts

$2000 a month is actually a lot rent-wise in Chicago. You can easily find a more than decent 1BR for around half that if you put in the effort to search pretty hard. If you WANT to spend a lot on rent, there are certainly buildings that can oblige that, of course. The apartment complexes on Lake Shore Drive are extremely bougie and a lot of them charge a lot for rent.

Lincoln Park varies widely in rent prices depending on where you are - the highest per-capita income block of the entire city is actually IN Lincoln Park - but since it's a college neighborhood, you shouldn't have a ton of trouble. My first 1BR was $570 a month and it was one block east of Clark St. just a stone's throw from the zoo. LP in general is a very "nice" neighborhood, but it's fallen a lot in the past decade due to skyrocketing business rents causing a lot of restaurants and small businesses to close up shop.

The biggest train station in LP is Fullerton Station - if you get an apartment near there, you'll have access to most of the city pretty much straight away, save for the train lines that go west, which you'll need to change lines in or near the Loop to access. You can also, if you're closer to Clark St. than the train, rely on several north/south bus lines that can get you downtown easily.

I loved living in LP - it was my first neighborhood in Chicago, and my subsequent apartments being far, far further north made it so socializing after work was a real drag due to how far I had to go just to get home.

TylerD

Oct 25, 2017
$2000 a month is actually a lot rent-wise in Chicago. You can easily find a more than decent 1BR for around half that if you put in the effort to search pretty hard. If you WANT to spend a lot on rent, there are certainly buildings that can oblige that, of course. The apartment complexes on Lake Shore Drive are extremely bougie and a lot of them charge a lot for rent.

Lincoln Park varies widely in rent prices depending on where you are - the highest per-capita income block of the entire city is actually IN Lincoln Park - but since it's a college neighborhood, you shouldn't have a ton of trouble. My first 1BR was $570 a month and it was one block east of Clark St. just a stone's throw from the zoo. LP in general is a very "nice" neighborhood, but it's fallen a lot in the past decade due to skyrocketing business rents causing a lot of restaurants and small businesses to close up shop.

The biggest train station in LP is Fullerton Station - if you get an apartment near there, you'll have access to most of the city pretty much straight away, save for the train lines that go west, which you'll need to change lines in or near the Loop to access. You can also, if you're closer to Clark St. than the train, rely on several north/south bus lines that can get you downtown easily.

I loved living in LP - it was my first neighborhood in Chicago, and my subsequent apartments being far, far further north made it so socializing after work was a real drag due to how far I had to go just to get home.

Thanks a lot for the reply!

I made that reservation for the space in LP but the owners said they also work from home so me trying to work from home as well probably wouldn't be great for anyone. The space was also small and it would have been very tight to setup my work space in the room I'd be confined to as well as having my dog, his crate, etc.

After a lot more looking and research, I just made a May 1st-June 1st reservation through AirBnB for a 2nd floor condo in Bronzeville a little South of 35th .4 mile from the 35th--Bronzeville-IIT green line which is close to the Sox-35th red line and Metra.

Has great space for my work from home command center that I haven't seen in really any others and it was $2400 for the month after fees. Parking should be fairly easy to come by too. Close by to a Jewel-Osco and Mariano's and an Indian corner store/grocer.

With some basic common sense, I should be just fine in that area and I'm officially extremely excited for the upcoming adventure. I'm planning on going to at least 1 Sox game since I'm right down the road and likely a Cubs game and can't wait to consume so much great food representative of so many cultures and explore more of the city.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Oof, I am not looking forward to my commute tomorrow AM. We're back in the office on Tuesdays and it sounds like the snow will either still be coming down or it'll just have finished by rush hour.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Yeah, it all worked out perfectly. We got a judgement call yesterday afternoon to let everyone work from home, and then it didn't snow, after all. Can't complain.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
In the office today. Got a federal job and haven't been approved for telework yet. Tuesday is the day that everyone is in the office and surprisingly few people called out.

Was a painful walk to and from the train.