• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Krauser Kat

Oct 27, 2017
I voted for preckwinkle. lightfoot sounded nice but fuck cops. it was really hard not choosing amara enyia i loved her but i dont think she had the support or money to win.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Found a place in Little Italy that I really like and if all goes well I should have the lease signed by March 1st.

Pretty excited about the move. Intuition tells me it will be a great move for my career and life, my general anxiety tells me I have like no one up there and will be lonely ( I do have a family friend that lives in Round Lake).

Either way I plan on making the most of my time there, I'm a huge art guy, love movies and festivals/events, and like to get out and try different things when the weather allows it. So I don't think I will have issues making friends in the city if I have plans to attend meet ups and what not. Anyway, thanks for all the help guys, looking forward to trying out all your recommendations as spaced out as possible lol.

Good luck on the lease. PM any of us if you have any questions or need more granular recommendations for things to do!

Oct 27, 2017
I moved to Lakeview East in May, loving it so far. I've lived in every major city in the northeast and LA, and Chicago outshines them all.

Voted for Tunney for 44th Alderman; I haven't formed a concrete opinion of him yet since I moved, but he seemed "least bought by the Ricketts", so that's what I went with. I must have gotten over 70 flyers in my mailbox alone, it's been crazy

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Good luck on the lease. PM any of us if you have any questions or need more granular recommendations for things to do!

I appreciate it, my bad if I am flooding the thread with too much personal stuff.

I am overly excited but also dreading the moving process lol. But yeah, I'll definitely hit you all up for help/advice/recommendations regarding the city if I need it.

Thanks.

Last edited:

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
Dunno who I'll pick among Lightfoot and Preckwinkle since either could be a fine mayor. Makes it a less stressful runoff.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Dunno who I'll pick among Lightfoot and Preckwinkle since either could be a fine mayor. Makes it a less stressful runoff.

Of the two, I'm gonna have to vote Lightfoot. While I'm sure she won't be as much of a disaster as Rahm was, Preckwinkle's weird taxes and "yay charter schools" mindset just don't sit well with me.

At least we won't have another Daley!

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Been so busy with work, I didn't even hear news about Rahm not running till yesterday. Made my day great today.

Jojo's Milk Bar is opening this weekend....

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I felt ill and didn't get to the polls, but the two people I was trying to decide between got it, that makes me happy.

I was going to go Preckwinkle as the best anti-Daley choice, but now I have to actually dig into these two more.

OP
OP
IAMtheFMan

IAMtheFMan

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Which itself is often a stand in for "black neighborhood," unfortunately.

My buddy who lives in Pilsen is my barometer for it being South Side and not West Side.

I'm late to this conversation (been busy at work) but yeah, "South Side" is used a little too frequently as a colloquialism for "bad, neighborhood" with its racial connotations, not only for a black neighborhood but also for a hispanic/latino population at times as well. I know people that live on the North Side that think the city essentially stops at Cermak and it saddens me.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I'm finally moved in guys, thanks for all the help.

I also lucked out with a pretty awesome roommate.

:')

Last edited:

Krauser Kat

Oct 27, 2017
I was in humboldt when that cop got shot. Place was packed with blue afterwards. Something like 30 squads rolled up. thankfully i was taking the bus.

Hideaki Annoying

alt account
Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Chicago
I'm late to this conversation (been busy at work) but yeah, "South Side" is used a little too frequently as a colloquialism for "bad, neighborhood" with its racial connotations, not only for a black neighborhood but also for a hispanic/latino population at times as well. I know people that live on the North Side that think the city essentially stops at Cermak and it saddens me.
I hate saying where I live by because they think the same thing or people assume I live in Burbank or Beverly. I never understood that mindset that the south side is synonymous with us "scary ethnic" people.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I hate saying where I live by because they think the same thing or people assume I live in Burbank or Beverly. I never understood that mindset that the south side is synonymous with us "scary ethnic" people.

It's weirder to see ethnic people outside those areas adapt this mindset...

Sad, but I have seen it from them just as much as any other white person telling me how scary South side is.

Even my experience in telling people in Florida I was moving here was met with, "careful not to get shot." Chicago gets a shit town of bad press for all the wrong reasons it seems.

: My experience as a black man

Hideaki Annoying

alt account
Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Chicago
It's weirder to see ethnic people outside those areas adapt this mindset...

Sad, but I have seen it from them just as much as any other white person telling me how scary South side is.

Even my experience in telling people in Florida I was moving here was met with, "careful not to get shot." Chicago gets a shit town of bad press for all the wrong reasons it seems.

: My experience as a black man
I agree, that is what everyone in Texas thought when I was living there. They think Chicago is some post-apocalyptic shooting ground. A lot of Black and Latino people thought this way, but then again it's the only thing the media talks about for the most part when it comes to the city.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I agree, that is what everyone in Texas thought when I was living there. They think Chicago is some post-apocalyptic shooting ground. A lot of Black and Latino people thought this way, but then again it's the only thing the media talks about for the most part when it comes to the city.

Yeah. Was kind of shocked to hear that then move here and see how beautiful the city was. I would have never known what Chicago had to offer if not for looking it up extensively and visiting myself before moving.

The segregation does show however, but man, this city is awesome.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2017
It's spring. Only because the CPD is pulling the deceased out of the lake. Yes, it is ultimately better than when they rise and walk up on shore on their own.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This constant temperature back and forth is fucking my body up. My throat feels like I swallowed a goddamn grenade.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
Hey everyone, my girlfriend is looking to move into the city this summer and I was wondering if anyone had any tips/secrets that I could pass along to her. She's currently in the Naperville area and is commuting to her job in Rogers Park via Metra/Red Line, so it's a pretty nightmarishly long commute at the moment. She's had quite a few bad experiences on the Red Line (sexual harassment/intimidation) that have made her want to prioritize not taking the train to work every day, so she's looking for a few different things:

1. Wants to sell her car/not deal with owning a car in the city
2. Wants to be able to get to her job with a reasonable bus ride or by walking
3. Is a small woman and wants to live somewhere safe

She's currently looking around Rogers Park, and up towards Evanston because she might be able to travel to work in the company of co-workers or a friend, but I'm thinking she's probably being a little too narrow in her search. I've never personally lived in the city, so I'm pretty useless with this.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone, my girlfriend is looking to move into the city this summer and I was wondering if anyone had any tips/secrets that I could pass along to her. She's currently in the Naperville area and is commuting to her job in Rogers Park via Metra/Red Line, so it's a pretty nightmarishly long commute at the moment. She's had quite a few bad experiences on the Red Line (sexual harassment/intimidation) that have made her want to prioritize not taking the train to work every day, so she's looking for a few different things:

1. Wants to sell her car/not deal with owning a car in the city
2. Wants to be able to get to her job with a reasonable bus ride or by walking
3. Is a small woman and wants to live somewhere safe

She's currently looking around Rogers Park, and up towards Evanston because she might be able to travel to work in the company of co-workers or a friend, but I'm thinking she's probably being a little too narrow in her search. I've never personally lived in the city, so I'm pretty useless with this.

Edgewater is the neighborhood I live in, and it's pretty much directly south of Rogers Park. It's (mostly) safe, it's right next to the Loyola campus so there's plenty of college students and college student-aligned stuff around there, and you have access to several buses (and the red line) that would get her where she needs to go.

Dec 24, 2017
Wait...

They are pulling dead bodies out the lake?

Yikes

Yeah, this one was apparently decomposed.

Last year, I was running the path under Fullerton, near the Zoo, and when I was heading up I saw a ton of cops huddled near that area where you see crew folks do their thing. It was parts in duffel bags that time.

Yikes some more.

I kinda sorta believe there is a serial killer operating in the city preying on young black women but no one cares because it's ylung black women.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Yeah, this one was apparently decomposed.

Last year, I was running the path under Fullerton, near the Zoo, and when I was heading up I saw a ton of cops huddled near that area where you see crew folks do their thing. It was parts in duffel bags that time.

Yikes some more.

I kinda sorta believe there is a serial killer operating in the city preying on young black women but no one cares because it's ylung black women.

That is absolutely terrible :/

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
Edgewater is the neighborhood I live in, and it's pretty much directly south of Rogers Park. It's (mostly) safe, it's right next to the Loyola campus so there's plenty of college students and college student-aligned stuff around there, and you have access to several buses (and the red line) that would get her where she needs to go.
Also, the Red Line heading North from Edgewater isn't nearly as crowded as taking it from the Loop.

Thanks, this whole thing has been pretty stressful for her. Shedid a viewing near Argyle the other night and there was a shooting there just a few minutes after she was done. She's getting pretty discouraged.

I think she's going to end up in an expensive shoebox in Rogers Park at this rate.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, this whole thing has been pretty stressful for her. Shedid a viewing near Argyle the other night and there was a shooting there just a few minutes after she was done. She's getting pretty discouraged.

I think she's going to end up in an expensive shoebox in Rogers Park at this rate.

A shooting near Argyle? Like on Sheridan?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Yeesh. I used to live about three streets north of there on Winona, though on the other side of Broadway from that block. Usually, when there is violence in the Uptown/Edgewater area, it's localized to little pockets of the Sheridan stretch, and it looks like that remains the case today.

My recommendation would be that she look for apartments in western or northern Edgewater, so on the west side of Broadway closer to Andersonville, or on the north end of the block near Loyola's campus. Rogers Park is a very polarized neighborhood and it's equal parts really nice and REALLY dangerous, and that can vary even from block to block. Broadway itself is generally on the safer side compared to Sheridan, though.

Last edited:

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
North and West of there is better. Generally, North of Foster or West of Broadway (or both) is better.

I live in Andersonville and crime is very low. Occasional car break-ins overnight, and drunk people being robbed on the way from the bar to the L.

(As noted in that Reddit thread, that wasn't in Andersonville.)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
North and West of there is better. Generally, North of Foster or West of Broadway (or both) is better.

I live in Andersonville and crime is very low. Occasional car break-ins overnight, and drunk people being robbed on the way from the bar to the L.

(As noted in that Reddit thread, that wasn't in Andersonville.)

Exactly. West of Broadway between Broadway and Clark is a very green family district full of houses and duplexes, as well as one of the largest schools on the North Side. You'll occasionally hear about petty crime but shootings are almost always localized to the tiny pockets of gang territory on and around Sheridan, especially in Uptown specifically.

I've lived on Broadway near Hollywood/Thorndale for three years now and the most frequent sirens I hear are ambulances being called to the high-rise elderly project near my house because of a fall or a heart attack. The actual neighborhood is very quiet.

Dec 24, 2017
Howard corridor can get sketch up there. But it goes in spurts. 3 sketch blocks, then a couple ok blocks then more sketch blocks.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
We're basically neighbors

Hi neighbor

Q6wPeU0p8kHrksV8r6rorAQxEzE=.gif

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
How bout that mayor race? Can it even be called that?

My alderman is neck and neck. Hope he loses. Looks like my old one might lose which is nice.

Dec 24, 2017
I had to choose Tom Tunney vs Joe Ricketts.

When was the last time a mayoral runoff was so lopsided?

I'm assuming a Daley the Elder?

OP
OP
IAMtheFMan

IAMtheFMan

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I had to choose Tom Tunney vs Joe Ricketts.

When was the last time a mayoral runoff was so lopsided?

I'm assuming a Daley the Elder?

Maybe Bilandic after Daley died? But even Rahm's first go really wasn't that close either but I don't think this decisive.

Not sure about my ward yet (25). But I guess either of these guys is better than our last rep who was wearing a wire on Burke as a plea for getting handjobs in Chinatown.

Oct 27, 2017
I got off the metra at my stop today to see this

Huge fire at the newly wed foods. Our train and one other train pushed through the fire that trailed over the tracks to the other side of station, but then there were train delays after.

I was actually scared it was the uhaul because I have a unit in there. Luckily no one was hurt.

But unfortunately our place smells like burnt tires because we live within 3 blocks of the station right in the path the smoke was flowing :X

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
Merry Christmas everyone!

Seriously though I was expecting a dusting. This is some legitimate accumulation, my walk is gonna have to be shoveled.