• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
ridiculous. have inches out in the burbs. Halloween has been shitty weather the last decade but never anything like this.

record low is 21. we're at 22 today.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
I always expect a little late October dusting but this is decently heavy! All the better reason to stay inside and watch horror movies

vanmardigan

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like I'll be moving to Chicago soon, bought a house in Montclare. Way out there but it seems like a nice area to raise a family.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
What's this city like for Latinos?
I'm thinking of my next move, and when I graduate I want to move to either Chicago, Seattle or San Diego, and Chicago has the lowest rent prices it seems, so I'm curious about it.

Everything I hear about Chicago is how it's the most segregated city in the country, so I'm curious

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I'm thinking of my next move, and when I graduate I want to move to either Chicago, Seattle or San Diego, and Chicago has the lowest rent prices it seems, so I'm curious about it.

Everything I hear about Chicago is how it's the most segregated city in the country, so I'm curious

I mean, you are allowed to buy or rent anywhere. I guess if you're concerned about being around people of your race, then you might be more limited in areas to live. Not sure if that's your goal. For instance, Humboldt Park is mostly Puerto Rican.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
I mean, you are allowed to buy or rent anywhere. I guess if you're concerned about being around people of your race, then you might be more limited in areas to live. Not sure if that's your goal. For instance, Humboldt Park is mostly Puerto Rican.

Mostly for the food! Lol jk

How about career wise, I'll be graduating in finance, are white collar jobs up there also white skin jobs?

Dec 24, 2017

The segregation is more of a legacy of prior city policies which limited the economic opportunities for primarily African-American communities on the South and West sides via real infrastructure barriers and financial ones. I'm not as well educated on the historical impact on Latino communities, but gentrification of those historically Latino neighborhoods is a things that's changing those neighborhoods now.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
When I look on Zillow I'm surprised at how seemingly affordable nice places are, compared to Orlando, Seattle and San Diego

Is there a specific reason for that? Or am I not digging deep enough into ot

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Ok thank you! Sorry if question was weird

it's not weird. as a white person I don't think about things like this but I realize that for some people it is important. It's the privilege showing through on my end - I never have to have concerns about it really. Hope I helped. I forget how many people here are not white since I don't think of them by their race, but when I step back and look, it's a good amount.

Oct 25, 2017
When I look on Zillow I'm surprised at how seemingly affordable nice places are, compared to Orlando, Seattle and San Diego

Is there a specific reason for that? Or am I not digging deep enough into ot

Not a peninsula, not really coastal, not sandwiched up against mountains, no rent control. Of tent gets too high in one neighborhood, then there's plenty of equidistant neighborhoods to soak up the population/pricing squeeze. People are willing to live two stops further out in the Brown/Red/Blue lines if it will save money. Lots of viable neighborhoods to commute to downtown from.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I believe whites are the minority in Chicago now.

According to the most recent ACS, the racial composition of Chicago was:

• White: 49.14%
  • Black or African American: 30.51%
  • Other race: 11.19%
  • Asian: 6.22%
  • Two or more races: 2.63%
  • Native American: 0.28%
  • Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander: 0.03%

Still definitely the highest percentage, but no longer 50%+

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Not a peninsula, not really coastal, not sandwiched up against mountains, no rent control. Of tent gets too high in one neighborhood, then there's plenty of equidistant neighborhoods to soak up the population/pricing squeeze. People are willing to live two stops further out in the Brown/Red/Blue lines if it will save money. Lots of viable neighborhoods to commute to downtown from.

Oh ok cool

I was in Chicago for half a day, only time I've ever been, and I fell on love with the architecture.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago

mexican food (and really any latin american food) blows chunks in seattle

chicago has some of the best mexican/latin american food in the country imo. haven't been to san diego so I can't compare it for sure, but it definitely beats seattle.

vanmardigan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm Puerto Rican and moving my whole family up there. Lived for a few years in Humboldt Park but will move out further West this time.

I had a problem with the cops where I got stereotyped as a gang member coming home from work. That sucked. But otherwise haven't had many issues other than noticing bias in service or whatever, things you're used to as a minority in America but that you learn to live with.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
F THIS. STUPID CLIMATE CHANGE. we used to have some semblance of an autumn for 2-3 months. This year it was from like Sept 15th to Halloween.