• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I hate this city. I need to move somewhere where winter leaves when it's supposed to. :|

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I"m sure the snow is just to promote Winter is Coming for the final season of Game of Thrones. It's a feature, not a bug.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
this-is-bullshit.jpg

Did a double take this morning, thought I was dreaming

Dec 24, 2017
I used peapod for the first time today. I had to buy food, but I had my winter coat dry cleaned and zipped up in it bag a couple weeks ago. I'm not dragging that shit out. But it's the Han Solo coat and it would have been appropriate with Star Wars in town.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Hey Chicago-Era. I'll be visiting Chicago this September, looking for Air BNBs to stay at. Which area should I be looking around? Found an AIRBNB around wrigleyville, is that a good area to be if I want to be near touristy stuff/bars/nightlife? I was told to try and be as close as possible to the Magnificent Mile but wasn't able to find anything that reasonable.

Thank you!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Hey Chicago-Era. I'll be visiting Chicago this September, looking for Air BNBs to stay at. Which area should I be looking around? Found an AIRBNB around wrigleyville, is that a good area to be if I want to be near touristy stuff/bars/nightlife? I was told to try and be as close as possible to the Magnificent Mile but wasn't able to find anything that reasonable.

Thank you!

Wrigleyville is kinda tourist central, so if you WANT to stay in the drunkest, loudest, most belligerent part of town, that's pretty much a perfect spot. River North is fairly expensive but is closer to the Mag Mile if you want to be really close to it. Really, as long as you're anywhere near the Red Line (or even just Clark Street) you're kinda golden, though. You'll have zero issues getting to any touristey parts of town.

Dec 24, 2017

Thank you!

You chose a spot where young people like to party. Close to a straight shot train/uber ride to the mainstream attractions of Chicago. I'd say you met your requirements well. The only thing I would caution, as it is a popular spot for people to party, and be drunk, that you just be mindful after a certain time of night, like midnight or so, as there are people who will prey on those not paying attention or have had too much to drink in that neighborhood. You should be fine, just be aware.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
You chose a spot where young people like to party. Close to a straight shot train/uber ride to the mainstream attractions of Chicago. I'd say you met your requirements well. The only thing I would caution, as it is a popular spot for people to party, and be drunk, that you just be mindful after a certain time of night, like midnight or so, as there are people who will prey on those not paying attention or have had too much to drink in that neighborhood. You should be fine, just be aware.
Hmm, good to know. What about Old town/West town/Ukrainian village/Lincoln Park?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, good to know. What about Old town/West town/Ukrainian village/Lincoln Park?

Ukrainian Village is probably too far west for your purposes. Lincoln Park is fine but will likely cost more than Lakeview/Wrigleyville. Old Town is the same as Lincoln Park. Basically be close to the Red Line or Clark St. and you'll have an easy way of getting down to the Mag Mile and Navy Pier without any issues,

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Ukrainian Village is probably too far west for your purposes. Lincoln Park is fine but will likely cost more than Lakeview/Wrigleyville. Old Town is the same as Lincoln Park. Basically be close to the Red Line or Clark St. and you'll have an easy way of getting down to the Mag Mile and Navy Pier without any issues,
Awesome, thanks for the info. Found one in lakeview that isn't too bad, think we'll just go with that.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome, thanks for the info. Found one in lakeview that isn't too bad, think we'll just go with that.

Cool. I used to live in Lakeview/LP, so the 22 bus will be your best friend as far as getting downtown is concerned. You could also walk to Stockton and take one of the Stockton buses that runs down Lake Shore Drive if you want a more scenic express route down to the Mile.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Cool. I used to live in Lakeview/LP, so the 22 bus will be your best friend as far as getting downtown is concerned. You could also walk to Stockton and take one of the Stockton buses that runs down Lake Shore Drive if you want a more scenic express route down to the Mile.
Awesome. Thanks for all the info. Looking forward to Pequods (It's the only Deep dish chain we don't have in Arizona).

Dec 24, 2017

Or if you feel like a jog/run, it's only about 5 miles from the zoo to the river!

I realize that I sound like an insane person when I write that out, but I've walked home from my office downtown a lot.

Dec 24, 2017
At the tail end of my morning run, I guess some guy jumped off a building and got impaled on a fence near Lakeshore Drive and Addison. Wondered what all the cops there were for.

Dec 24, 2017
Today the weather was glorious. I've enjoyed my day of spring. Based on the forecast, we might get another one next weekend!

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Sounds like there was a shooting at Argyle station. I really like that area. It's a shame there's so much violence there (or anywhere else really).

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
This afternoon? There were shots up around Thorndale last night-- but that area is known to be violent occasionally.

Dec 24, 2017
They installed those new HD cameras there in the last several months there. I'm guessing the shooting was probably recorded. North Central stop is usually the sketch one. But it's not like those two stops are that far apart.

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago

Detectives are investigating a shooting on the Argyle CTA stop where two men are seriously injured. The area is heavily saturated in HD crime cameras and detectives are reviewing digital evidence. Anyone with info send anonymously to http://www.cpdtip.com . PIO responding

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
So, a green line train derailed slightly today. My paranoia on the red line when it bends quickly around a corner is justified.

Dec 24, 2017
Having lived in a part of the country where country music was very popular, it was weird seeing city country music fans over the weekend. So many of them dressed like a parody of what country music fans might look like.

Except for the many dudes who I saw with neck tattoo. Can't fake that life. Confederate flag neck tattoos.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
I had a job out in Palatine this morning and I was soaked through all layers of clothing by 11. This was true yesterday too, but today it was just sweat.

OP
OP
IAMtheFMan

IAMtheFMan

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Got a new pellet grill... went to go season and fire it up.

After 5 minutes outside I realized my massive error in judgment.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Lolla didn't even try with security.

I don't know what to say. After these tragedies in less than 24 hours, I feel so much better one of the biggest festivals were so meh.

Dec 24, 2017
Huh, DIversey is shut down, and the intersection of Clark and Broadway. Someone left a pressure cooker in front of Stan's Donuts.

Dec 24, 2017
Well, they detonated the pressure cooker. Weird how people were just standing there, eating donuts, potential improvised explosive device nearby.