• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Hey! Any chance one of you fine people is a Tech Project Manager? My company (located in the Loop on the corner of Monroe/Dearborn) needs to hire one super soon. Pay's in the low six figures for anyone with 5+ years of experience. Hit me up for details if you're interested! :)

Dec 24, 2017
Hey! Any chance one of you fine people is a Tech Project Manager? My company (located in the Loop on the corner of Monroe/Dearborn) needs to hire one super soon. Pay's in the low six figures for anyone with 5+ years of experience. Hit me up for details if you're interested! :)

I know someone who is looking, he worked for Williams for a long time. What company, if you don't mind me asking? Or PM me, and I'll hit up my buddy and see what his status is

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Hey Chicago ERA, I have two re-entry ticket for 360 Chicago. They should be good till tomorrow lunchtime. It seems highly unlikely that we will want to go again, so first poster to call dibs here and PM me their email address gets them. 😀

Edit. Gone.

Last edited:

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I drove by and was wondering why there were some many cop and emergency vehicles and a rescue boat. I couldn't imagine a car jumping the barrier.

Dec 24, 2017
I drove by and was wondering why there were some many cop and emergency vehicles and a rescue boat. I couldn't imagine a car jumping the barrier.
Those two dudes that unfortunately drove into the harbor a bit ago. Doesn't that happen semi-regularly? People driving into the lake?

seems weird but seems like it happens a handful of times every year.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Haha I'm gonna pass on Day 1 and see what's left after the smoke clears on Thursday. Assuming the stock isn't cleaned out, I'll hit up Dispensary 33 on Clark.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
kisaya and i are doing our yearly NYE party if any of you nerds are cool and like to go to parties on NYE

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
I'm closest to Columbia Care in Jeff Park, might see what the lines are like in the morning and if they aren't too bad get something. I'm in no hurry tho.

We've made our NYE habit to be drinking fancy beer at a relaxed taproom at midnight and this year is Moody Tongue 🍻
I'm really hyped but have no idea where I should go. Just moved from Uptown to Little Village do I'm a little wiped. A smoke would be delightful.

Lol.
https://blockclubchicago.org/2019/12/30/where-to-buy-legal-weed-in-chicago-on-january-1/

Looks like the closest to you would be Herbal Care.

EDIT: also I'll mention that site Block Club Chicago is like 50 more subscriptions away from their goal for 2019 and I can't praise their work enough. Essential local journalism. If you wanna know what's happening to the weird closed storefront on your block or what's up with the construction down the street or what crazy shit your alderman is trying to pull, they're the dudes.

Last edited:

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I'm closest to Columbia Care in Jeff Park, might see what the lines are like in the morning and if they aren't too bad get something. I'm in no hurry tho.

We've made our NYE habit to be drinking fancy beer at a relaxed taproom at midnight and this year is Moody Tongue 🍻

https://blockclubchicago.org/2019/12/30/where-to-buy-legal-weed-in-chicago-on-january-1/

Looks like the closest to you would be Herbal Care.

EDIT: also I'll mention that site Block Club Chicago is like 50 more subscriptions away from their goal for 2019 and I can't praise their work enough. Essential local journalism. If you wanna know what's happening to the weird closed storefront on your block or what's up with the construction down the street or what crazy shit your alderman is trying to pull, they're the dudes.

Ahhh man, this is dope. Thanks!

vanmardigan

Oct 27, 2017
Finally moved back to Chicago. Will be in the Northwest Side (Montclare). I don't smoke weed but I'm sure there are other things to do around here lol. I need a job now.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Just got outta Dispensary 33 around 10. The line was pretty manageable before opening. It's way, way down on Clark now.

Also, that price hike is no joke - easily 15-30% above street prices. But that's the trade-off, I suppose. I'm sure they'll settle down after more spots open and there's actual competition.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
Just got outta Dispensary 33 around 10. The line was pretty manageable before opening. It's way, way down on Clark now.

Also, that price hike is no joke - easily 15-30% above street prices. But that's the trade-off, I suppose. I'm sure they'll settle down after more spots open and there's actual competition.
I gotta imagine they will. I don't have hard figures but from what I remember of living in LA, the street prices in chicago were similar or even higher than dispensaries there, and that was with a plug with a weak offering not the plentiful selection of a dispensary.

Dec 24, 2017
I gotta imagine they will. I don't have hard figures but from what I remember of living in LA, the street prices in chicago were similar or even higher than dispensaries there, and that was with a plug with a weak offering not the plentiful selection of a dispensary.

It was about $75 to $80 an eighth at D33, but all I really wanted was the tote bag. My connect sells at $200 am ounce, depending on strain.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017

disclaimer: I don't smoke.

But it seems like a price increase over street price would make sense, considering you can just drop in at any time, and the store front cost and employee cost, etc. Plus not having to deal with "finding" shady characters to buy things from.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
disclaimer: I don't smoke.

But it seems like a price increase over street price would make sense, considering you can just drop in at any time, and the store front cost and employee cost, etc. Plus not having to deal with "finding" shady characters to buy things from.
For sure, there's definitely some rationale behind it, but I think the sticker shock is especially potent because other states have seen substantially lower costs. Compared to Colorado, prices are about 2X. For Washington, it's probably about 50% higher here. Again, I'm sure it's a supply/demand thing. There really aren't that many stores and there's a ton of buzz, so they could probably charge twice as much and still sell out.

The taxes will remain, but I think you'll see prices dip in 2021 with more businesses opening and more product being available. The dispensary closest to me went medical-only this weekend because they thought they'd be cleaned out otherwise. There's really a lot less to go around than the demand warrants.

IceyD

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
Damn I tried D33 before check-in started this morning and got turned away. Check-in had maxed out hours ago. Opposite of what their twitter was saying.

Dec 24, 2017
Damn lake tried to eat me during my run. Oak St Beach barely exists anymore.

Does anyone remember the water level of the lake being this high before?

Goda

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
So I'll be going in Chicago Feb 14th - 18th with my gf. I was wondering if there are any interesting events going on during that weekend?

I know it's the NBA all-star weekend so the city will be really busy be we aren't here for basketball.

We are travelling from Toronto and are just here to enjoy the city and food. So far I've only made reservations at Momotaro. I was also looking at Rooh and Imperial Lamian.

I was wondering if anyone has been to these restaurants and can tell me if they are worth going to.

Newlib

Oct 25, 2017
So I'll be going in Chicago Feb 14th - 18th with my gf. I was wondering if there are any interesting events going on during that weekend?

I know it's the NBA all-star weekend so the city will be really busy be we aren't here for basketball.

We are travelling from Toronto and are just here to enjoy the city and food. So far I've only made reservations at Momotaro. I was also looking at Rooh and Imperial Lamian.

I was wondering if anyone has been to these restaurants and can tell me if they are worth going to.

Momotaro is really good.

OP
OP
IAMtheFMan

IAMtheFMan

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago

All 3 are great. Imperial Lamian has great xiao long bao, but it is pricey. Rooh's great.

Goda

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
Momotaro is really good.
All 3 are great. Imperial Lamian has great xiao long bao, but it is pricey. Rooh's great.
I've been to Imperial Lamian for team lunches at work. The noodles and soup dumplings were really good.

Thank you all. I'll try to go to all three if I can. I wanted to go to a Michelin star restaurant but the prices are bit high. Especially with the Canadian dollar being so weak right now. Maybe next time I'll be able to go to Alinea.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
If you're looking for a great Michelin star restaurant that isn't on Alinea's price level, I'd recommend Parachute in Avondale, which is a doable walk from the Belmont stop on the Blue Line.

hot-10-parachute-main1.jpg

parachute-buns2.jpg

parachute-squash-bowl2.jpg

That bing bread in the middle is crack in carb form and gets served with sour cream butter. So damn good. I don't think it's on the menu anymore, but their hwe dup bap is the best I've ever had.

OP
OP
IAMtheFMan

IAMtheFMan

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Thank you all. I'll try to go to all three if I can. I wanted to go to a Michelin star restaurant but the prices are bit high. Especially with the Canadian dollar being so weak right now. Maybe next time I'll be able to go to Alinea.

If interested, you should look at some of the other restaurants by the Alinea group which are more reasonable. Next got a Star this year (long overdue but understandable given the rotating menu) and Roister is fantastic and some of the best chicken I've ever had. Aviary first drinks is super great too.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
it's unlikely you can get reservations to The Girl and the Goat a month ahead, but you could try. That's one of my faves. You could risk it and just show up, maybe get a seat at the bar.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
Seconding Parachute.

For good food I'd also recommend Avec. One of my favorite restaurants in the city. Could also take a look at Boka.

Goda

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
I was actually looking at Boka and Parachute before. They both looked great and reasonably priced.

The Aviary looks nice too but I've been cutting out my alcohol consumption this year. So I might go to Roister for brunch instead.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I definitely have a good list of fine dining restaurants for next month.

I'll try to go to as many as possible while also stuffing my face with pizza.