• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok? So that makes it ok to shit on people in a thread? You were talking to someone who agrees its a huge problem and never said otherwise. They were just responding to that post referencing the other thread, and they were right that statistically the crime and murder rate is down.

I didn't shit on anyone. Shit keeps happening almost every damn day and imo the response shouldn't be, well statistically you're fine if youre not on the Southside of Chicago. Like what?

Like also what the fuck is fine? 40k people dying a year from guns is fine?

The response shouldn't be oh well it's Englewood.

Nov 23, 2017
I didn't shit on anyone. Shit keeps happening almost every damn day and imo the response shouldn't be, well statistically you're fine if youre not on the Southside of Chicago. Like what?

I want extremely strict gun control laws personally. But the poster didn't say that in response to the original post, the poster said that in response to the broad strokes hot take about how the US is unsafe, when data does not support that.

Is it stated if they were purposely targeted or was this a case of two civilians being caught in the crossfire?

Also, why do people have a hard on for making America sound like a war zone on ERA? Do people seriously not understand how large America is and how every state is literally unlike each other?

Nov 23, 2017
oh jesus, cut this shit out. this wasn't fucking downtown or anywhere near it. do you know anything about chicago?
Is it stated if they were purposely targeted or was this a case of two civilians being caught in the crossfire?

Also, why do people have a hard on for making America sound like a war zone on ERA? Do people seriously not understand how large America is and how every state is literally unlike each other?
I don't have anything else really to add but thank you. This was all I was trying to get at.

Nov 23, 2017
What does that have to do with presenting America as a safe country in terms of gun violence?
There are different (numerous) types of gun violence. Painting them all as the same broad stroke just makes the conversation more muddied, not less, even if your intention is good here. I don't think anyone really disagrees with you that gun violence is a huge problem and we need more gun control now.

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
really interesting how two different points are still being made and are still, for some reason, being propped up against each other. The country being statistically safe for tourists does not and should not go against the gun epidemic we are suffering from, both things can and indeed do coexist. yes there is a gun problem in this country, that is undeniable. but that does not mean that this country is not a safe place to visit and/or live in. It makes absolutely no sense to pit those two facts against each other.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I'm literally fucking crying reading this. What fucking injustice. I hate everything.

I had to watch the video. Tragic.

I live in Uptown Chicago and do Uber throughout the city on my off time. I had an Uber Eats delivery out around there without knowing how dangerous it was and the lady I was delivering scolded me because she said what I did wasn't safe.

I pulled up with my E-lights on to park and just sat there for a while waiting for her until I got out to deliver the food because I wasn't sure where she was. But she was actually across the street and didn't realize it was me and called me over when I got out the car. She told me it was her fault for not realizing it was me but warned me when I'm delivering around the area to never wait more than a minute and if something feels off then just drop the order and drive off with the food.

She talked to me for like 5 minutes straight and lectured me about how my life isn't worth a good delivery. The look in her eyes almost made me cry because it felt she had lost someone tragically before. And as someone who is on some parts of South Side often, it really does look like a 3rd world country like the rapper in the video described. Completely neglected.

RIP to those two women.

Oct 25, 2017
Paging all the defenders in the "is America safe" topic.
Whether it's safe to visit America as a tourist is a question of fact. The only matter of opinion in that question is what constitutes "safe". America has a ton of issues, but gun violence incidents like this aren't factually serious safety risks for a tourist, even if you assume crime is evenly distributed across the country or per capita (it's not). The safety of a tourist in any location is a question of facts, statistics, and the behaviour of the tourist, and statistically as long as the tourist isn't visiting Engelwood or anywhere else that has a disproportionate amount of violence they're probably safe. I'd be more concerned about encountering a serious medical issue while visiting and having to go to a hospital, because that could easily ruin your life. As an American, I worry about encountering a medical issue all the time.

To get back on topic, this incident seems particularly tragic to me, because the women murdered were making real efforts to reduce gun violence in their community. These are people who were putting their lives at risk to try to improve the lives of those around them, and now they're dead.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So to get back on topic

I mean I get gang related violence is bad in this area, but these mothers weren't part of any gangs and it's unlikely they were bystanders hit by stray bullets.

This seems like a deliberate act of targeting someone because of their political stance or to further an ideology, in other words domestic terrorism. I just don't understand why it would have happened.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Imagine being such a pathetic piece of shit that you'd continue to defend your right to own firearms as a hobby while women and children are murdered everyday. Anyone that continues to "well, actually" about this shit can go fuck themselves.

Not to drag yet another thread into this topic, but have you seen the Tarantino/Bruce Lee thread? Can we stop trying to act like this place is better than anywhere else on the Internet? That illusion was shattered ages ago.

Not the thread I would use but agreed lol

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had to watch the video. Tragic.

I live in Uptown Chicago and do Uber throughout the city on my off time. I had an Uber Eats delivery out around there without knowing how dangerous it was and the lady I was delivering scolded me because she said what I did wasn't safe.

I pulled up with my E-lights on to park and just sat there for a while waiting for her until I got out to deliver the food because I wasn't sure where she was. But she was actually across the street and didn't realize it was me and called me over when I got out the car. She told me it was her fault for not realizing it was me but warned me when I'm delivering around the area to never wait more than a minute and if something feels off then just drop the order and drive off with the food.

She talked to me for like 5 minutes straight and lectured me about how my life isn't worth a good delivery. The look in her eyes almost made me cry because it felt she had lost someone tragically before. And as someone who is on some parts of South Side often, it really does look like a 3rd world country like the rapper in the video described. Completely neglected.

RIP to those two women.

All i can say is stay safe man. That lady is right and you should consider her words if you can afford it.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago

This is the apathetic response we always get.

Anyone that has some actual respect and dignity towards humanity would not see things this way, but I can confirm that lots of people don't view the residents of South Side Chicago as equals.

So yeah, America is safe, if you can afford it. Even then, guns being as readily available as they are makes the US less safe than most other developed countries imo.

All i can say is stay safe man. That lady is right and you should consider her words if you can afford it.

For sure. I appreciated her words.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait till Trump gets thrown out of office and we flip the Senate, hopefully Warren or Sanders will propose some actual gun control. A teen shouldn't be able to buy a fucking military grade weapon anywhere just cause they turned 18.

Jun 17, 2019
Likelihood is that they were being targeted to get a message to other groups trying to stop the violence. It was like how the mob hit people to warn others to back off or we kill you all. This probably was deliberate. Then again were talking about sickos that executed a child a few years back as payback to the kid's dad for beating up a guy before so this is probably normal.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is the apathetic response we always get.

Anyone that has some actual respect and dignity towards humanity would not see things this way, but I can confirm that lots of people don't view the residents of South Side Chicago as equals.

So yeah, America is safe, if you can afford it. Even then, guns being as readily available as they are makes the US less safe than most other developed countries imo.

For sure. I appreciated her words.

Exactly. If you have zero empathy for the neighborhoods in America that DO struggle with gun violence than you can fuck right off.

We're basically talking over 500-1000 shootings a year in the 30 biggest cities in America. Every fucking year. I live less than a mile away from where most of them happen in Minneapolis. Do y'all not know anyone from those neighborhoods where you live? Like I know people in North Minneapolis and east St paul. There are shootings here in Minneapolis in NE and even downtown.

The fucking shit should effect you. And if it doesn't you're callous as fuck.

Like have some basic human empathy and maybe dont armchair post what the fuck am I doing about it. Seriously.

I'm doing as much as I can and what the fuck are you doing? Shit posting actively against stopping gun violence on an internet forum. Think about that shit

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Holy shit this is so horrible. Truly saddening

Famed tourist destination, Englewood, Chicago.

Because the single most broken neighborhood in all of America is representative of the country as a whole.
they say the best measure of a country is the living conditions of its most marginalised people

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Just a reminder...

In 2013, there were 73,505 nonfatal firearm injuries (23.2 injuries per 100,000 persons),[5][6] and 33,636 deaths due to "injury by firearms" (10.6 deaths per 100,000 persons).[7] These deaths included 21,175 suicides,[7] 11,208 homicides,[8] 505 deaths due to accidental or negligent discharge of a firearm, and 281 deaths due to firearms use with "undetermined intent".[7] The ownership and control of guns are among the most widely debated issues in the country.

Fuck people who defend unregulated sale and ownership of firearms. Over 100,000 gun related injuries and deaths a year in this country, fucking disgusting.

Notyou

Banned
Jul 31, 2018
Can't wait till Trump gets thrown out of office and we flip the Senate, hopefully Warren or Sanders will propose some actual gun control. A teen shouldn't be able to buy a fucking military grade weapon anywhere just cause they turned 18.
I wonder why nothing was done between 2009-2011 when there was a democratic majority in the house and senate, and had a democratic president?

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Chicago Police Department spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said in a statement that the murders were under investigation, and that investigators "have no evidence that we can point to that suggests the women were the intended targets".

"We also have no evidence to the contrary," he added.
I. Am. LIVID.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Because a first time visitor to the US isn't going to fucking Englewood, genius!

Presumably the people who live in Englewood have relatives and friends just like you and me. Are you suggesting they travel away from home to some neutral point? If not, then yes, it's inevitable that some first time visitors will have business there.

It seems quite unconscionable to divide up the country specifically in order to discount some areas when assessing whether the country is safe. We know that America has the highest intentional homicide rate in the OECD by far. It doesn't make it any better to say it's safe as long as you stay away from the dangerous parts.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
haven't read the article yet but have they caught the gunmen and determine the motivation behind it?

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
RIP.

garlic fest was 2 days ago too.
www.theonion.com

‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

VIRGINIA BEACH, VA—In the hours following a violent rampage in Virginia in which a lone attacker killed 12 individuals and injured four others, citizens living in the only country where this kind of mass killing routinely occurs reportedly concluded Wednesday that there was no way to prevent the...

The Onion simply can't keep up anymore with the number of shootings happening.

How many more kids have to become orphans?