• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
As I remarked a couple of times already, if I'm visiting a cousin in Chicago I will certainly expect to go to their home. How is that disingenuous?

A foreign tourist visiting a friend or family member in a bad part of some city or town already knows the risks, I would hope, from the friend or family member who is already living there and already familiar with the situation.

I think in the other thread, that people keep going back to, is referring to a foreign tourist visiting San Diego. I don't know if there is a bad part of San Diego on the level of the bad parts of Chicago, but I would assume it's safer there.

Chicago is the extreme anomaly right now with gun and drug and gang violence. If they were visiting Chicago, then yea, I would say avoid certain areas and be on guard. Maybe Detroit too.

There are always exceptions and hot spots, everywhere in the world. But by and large, America is a safe place.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Do you have family in Englewood? The dangerous neighborhoods in the city are essentially segregated blocks of streets that are very far away from the city center.

Somebody must live there. The Wikipedia article indicates it has a population of some 30,000.

A foreign tourist visiting a friend or family member in a bad part of some city or town already knows the risks, I would hope, from the friend or family member who is already living there and already familiar with the situation.

It's conceivable, certainly. How does this help the point that Englewood must be set aside when deciding how dangerous America is?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I note your qualifications. So would it be safe to say that much of the South Side of Chicago is a no-go zone?
You shouldn't use racially coded language like that, that term is effectively a conservative dog whistle. You wouldn't go to those areas because there is no reason for anyone who isn't local to go there. Without the crime problems these are just residential neighborhoods with little or nothing in the way of hotels or attractions to attract or support tourists. As a tourist you wouldn't be going there anyway and if you're visiting family or something then you aren't a tourist

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
You shouldn't use racially coded language like that, that term is effectively a conservative dog whistle. You wouldn't go to those areas because there is no reason for anyone who isn't local to go there. Without the crime problems these are just residential neighborhoods with little or nothing in the way of hotels or attractions to attract or support tourists. As a tourist you wouldn't be going there anyway and if you're visiting family or something then you aren't a tourist

You keep assuming I'm a tourist. I've suggested I might be visiting a relative and I'm asking why everybody is desperately trying to pretend there are good reasons why this area of a populous city should be treated as if it doesn't really belong to America. Why so insistent that no outsider could possibly want to visit a friend there? Or just go for an evening stroll?

I say this because I know of no place in the United Kingdom where I would not feel safe walking. Not even the Falls Road in Belfast, since the Good Friday Agreement.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I note your qualifications. So would it be safe to say that much of the South Side of Chicago is a no-go zone?

I wouldn't say that. Just that there is little reason for a tourist to venture to the South Side outside of the aforementioned locations. Even then we are not talking about a war zone or some such nonsense. It is a residential neighborhood, admittedly neglected by the powers to be, which has a considerably higher violent crime rates than the rest of the city.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Somebody must live there. The Wikipedia article indicates it has a population of some 30,000.

It's conceivable, certainly. How does this help the point that Englewood must be set aside when deciding how dangerous America is?

I didn't set anything aside.

I'm pointing out exceptions to the "America is generally a safe country" theme.

There are bad spots. Bad spots don't reflect the safety of the whole country.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I wouldn't say that. Just that there is little reason for a tourist to venture to the South Side outside of the aforementioned locations. Even then we are not talking about a war zone or some such nonsense. It is a residential neighborhood, admittedly neglected by the powers to be, which has a considerably higher violent crime rates than the rest of the city.

I can certainly see why people would want to omit it from their assessment. Which I've pointed out is not the way we do this. I can't decide my local football team is really great because it always excels at home matches, or my local supermarket has great prices because I only ever visit it to hang around for when the old stock is being marked down.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019

Yeah, careful with that term, it's very charged.

For what it's worth, I spent years working as a canvasser going door-to-door in every kind of community in the country. Some of these communities were definitely rough and were not places that I would have ever had any reason to visit if it wasn't for work. In the hundreds of hours I spent criss-crossing these neighborhoods, not once did I ever have any trouble. Was I nervous at times? Yes. Did I get in over my head once or twice? Yes. But I never had a serious concern. The truth that I came to is that unless you start shit most people are just going to leave you alone. Don't be an asshole and you're very unlikely to have any problems. Is it possible to run into the wrong guy, at the wrong place, at the wrong time? Sure, it's possible. But the chances are very very low. As with anywhere else, exercise good judgement and you'll be fine.

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
You keep assuming I'm a tourist. I've suggested I might be visiting a relative and I'm asking why everybody is desperately trying to pretend there are good reasons why this area of a populous city should be treated as if it doesn't really belong to America. Why so insistent that no outsider could possibly want to visit a friend there? Or just go for an evening stroll?

I say this because I know of no place in the United Kingdom where I would not feel safe walking. Not even the Falls Road in Belfast, since the Good Friday Agreement.
What area of the southside of Chicago? The great majority of the southside of Chicago is great and fine to visit too, albeit there wont be much to see or do. It's highly residential.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago

Because Chicago is a big city. If you don't live there, you don't just "go for an evening stroll" through Englewood because it physically does not make any sense to do that.

And if you're visiting a relative, you sure as hell know not to be out too late in the area.

If you don't know shit about the city, refrain from asking stupid ass leading questions with dog whistle language, please.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
The victims are black and anti-gun ? You can be sure no suspect will ever be found and arrested.

FFS america...

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

If you're visiting family then you aren't a tourist, in the typical sense. You have access to guides with intimate knowledge of the place who will inform you of the risks ahead of time and provide you with knowledge and assistance to ensure your trip goes smoothly. It's a fundamentally different experience that shields you from much of the risk of being a tourist, i.e. people taking advantage of your unfamiliarity with the place.

I've felt as unsafe in pats of London as I have in parts of Chicago, because it's not statistically unlikely homicides that worries me, but petty theft which occurs at comparable rates in both places.

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco
I wonder why nothing was done between 2009-2011 when there was a democratic majority in the house and senate, and had a democratic president?

Democrats only had a non filibuster majority for ~60 actual days between 2009-2011 due to Joe Lieberman, legal challenges and the death of Sen. Kennedy.

Democrats never had a majority that wasn't being held hostage by special interest.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
There are bad spots. Bad spots don't reflect the safety of the whole country.

I think they do. I could tell you England has a very low crime rate because I looked up the official crime figures for my part of town and they're reassuringly low. I do have to count places like Tottenham and Hackney, though. People live there and it would be grossly dishonest to pretend they don't count.

Likewise I can't say global earthing warming isn't that bad because there are cyclical trends and volcanic eruptions that sometimes conceal or even reverse the overall trend.

I really can't understand why it's taking so long to drive home this point.

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can certainly see why people would want to omit it from their assessment. Which I've pointed out is not the way we do this. I can't decide my local football team is really great because it always excels at home matches, or my local supermarket has great prices because I only ever visit it to hang around for when the old stock is being marked down.

I honestly think you are being willfully obtuse here. The people you keep responding to are not saying what you think they are saying. America is huge. There is obviously a problem with gun violence in places here. Many posters here with left-leaning politics are in favor of gun control and social safety nets to help the impoverished. I don't think anyone here denies that there are dangerous areas inside/near major cities. I live just outside of St. Louis and the crime rate inside the city proper is constantly in contention for the worst in the country.

If your position is simply "the mere existence of dangerous areas in your country impacts the reputation of the country as a whole" then ok. There's nothing to argue here. I won't debate the point. If you're just visiting the country and not providing specifics on what you plan to do and your question is "will I be safe" I guess the correct answer is "what are you going to be doing here?" For most visitors, however, the answer is going to be "I'm staying in a tourist-y area." Like if you're flying into St. Louis and staying downtown for a couple of days and your itinerary is "I want to see the Arch, go to a Cardinals game, go on a brewery tour, maybe hit the zoo," then my honest advice is you'll be perfectly fine. This is all very safe stuff. If your plan is to go to a night game, get blind drunk at the nearest bar, then meander aimlessly around town after hours I'd caution against this plan and note the crime rates of the city.

The typical visitor in a tourist-friendly area is going to be very safe statistically speaking. Again, that's not to try to say that there aren't issues with violence here. I'm not trying to be patriotic in telling you that one's trip to Las Vegas, San Diego, downtown Chicago, etc. have a near 100% chance of not ending up shot or beaten. This is just genuine relaying of facts to someone who is considering visiting the country. If your point is "what if they're going somewhere less safe?" then OK. They'll be less safe there.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
You can't rationalize gang (assuming police reports are accurate) gun violence. Police are saying they were innocent bystanders more or less. The bullets were meant for someone else.
Do they know the motive or just assuming. This sounds like it might not be just a random gang shooting. If this group were targeted because they were activists and this was politically motivated, that's seriously messed up. Protest gun violence, get gunned down for protesting. The motive for this shooting is kinda critical because that significantly changes the dynamic of the crime. If gun nuts are going to start attacking anti-gun activists, wow, that's a new low.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I think they do. I could tell you England has a very low crime rate because I looked up the official crime figures for my part of town and they're reassuringly low. I do have to count places like Tottenham and Hackney, though. People live there and it would be grossly dishonest to pretend they don't count.

Likewise I can't say global earthing warming isn't that bad because there are cyclical trends and volcanic eruptions that sometimes conceal or even reverse the overall trend.

Because it has nothing to do with what the person in the beginning of this thread intended to derail the thread with. The OP of a completely different topic literally asked about how safe things were as a tourist, and as a tourist visiting, for example, Chicago, you're not going to fucking Englewood. You're going to the loop, you're going to Gold Coast, Wicker Park, River North, Lakeview, Lincoln Park, maaaaaybe Fulton.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Do they know the motive or just assuming. This sounds like it might not be just a random gang shooting. If this group were targeted because they were activists and this was politically motivated, that's seriously messed up. Protest gun violence, get gunned down for protesting. The motive for this shooting is kinda critical because that significantly changes the dynamic of the crime. If gun nuts are going to start attacking anti-gun activists, wow, that's a new low.
These cases rarely have an established motive, but it's almost always the case that activists are shot as innocent bystanders. It happens to them so often because they put themselves out there as part of their work and are more exposed in a dangerous place. Don't read into it as a conspiracy

This episode of This American Life about similar events in Ferguson is a good parallel
www.thisamericanlife.org

Anything Can Be Anything - This American Life

People connecting the dots that maybe should not be connected.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
As tragic as this is, it seems it wasn't targeted, so that's at least a sliver of hope that things aren't completely crazy...yet.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
If you're visiting family then you aren't a tourist, in the typical sense. You have access to guides with intimate knowledge of the place who will inform you of the risks ahead of time and provide you with knowledge and assistance to ensure your trip goes smoothly. It's a fundamentally different experience that shields you from much of the risk of being a tourist, i.e. people taking advantage of your unfamiliarity with the place.

I've felt as unsafe in pats of London as I have in parts of Chicago, because it's not statistically unlikely homicides that worries me, but petty theft which occurs at comparable rates in both places.

I do agree with you that London isn't a perfect city. I have to disagree with you on the importance of petty crime. If somebody runs off with my credit card or passport it's not going to keep me in hospital for weeks.

This emphasis on tourism really is getting silly. Those women who were shot dead weren't tourists either. It doesn't mean their deaths aren't a scandal. Every single intentional homicide is a scandal. You don't get to pretend you live in a safe country by ignoring those killings that don't happen in tourist areas.

Oct 25, 2017
Because Chicago is a big city. If you don't live there, you don't just "go for an evening stroll" through Englewood because it physically does not make any sense to do that.

And if you're visiting a relative, you sure as hell know not to be out too late in the area.

If you don't know shit about the city, refrain from asking stupid ass leading questions with dog whistle language, please.

Yeah, Chicago is a huge city, and it is really hard to end up in that area accidentally. It is like 6 miles from downtown, with basically no notable tourist spots within the last three miles. You can get lost and end up in sketchy sides of South Loop or up to Sox Park, but anyone that isn't blind is going to turn back like an hour or two before they manage to stumble into Englewood.

The US is less safe than most developed countries, but it is distributed super unevenly across area. Chicago is below par for safety for a major US city, on average, but it is also way larger than most major cities in (inhabitable) area and population. Most of the city, in terms of where the bulk of the population lives and visits is about as safe as most major US cities.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I do agree with you that London isn't a perfect city. I have to disagree with you on the importance of petty crime. If somebody runs off with my credit card or passport it's not going to keep me in hospital for weeks.

This emphasis on tourism really is getting silly. Those women who were shot dead weren't tourists either. It doesn't mean their deaths aren't a scandal. Every single intentional homicide is a scandal. You don't get to pretend you live in a safe country by ignoring those killings that don't happen in tourist areas.

That's not the point anyone is making. I think the problem here is that you lack an understanding of the sheer scale of Chicago, and the greater US as a whole. You're calling the COUNTRY unsafe despite talking about small micro-fractions of the geographic and demographic whole. It's like saying an entire state is dangerous because a national park has bears in it.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago

...that's why the person who brought up this derail got banned, but that's why people are talking about it now.

JUy5FV5.png

hm... which topic..
ti45zlq.png

Oh, a topic about a tourist. A tourist who will never go to Englewood.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017

You're trying to make a localized crisis into a nationwide crisis to get more support.

I'm actually on board with you on that strategy. It's a nationwide responsibility to correct it.

But it's a lie to say the whole country is dangerous because of localized concentrated violence, just to paint a bad picture for a tourist in general. It's factually false.

I do not fear dying every day in my home. On my way to work. For my kids when they play outside. When they go to school. When I walk my dog. - Am I saying the whole country can do that and feel as safe a me? No. of course not.

But likewise, I don't say people will face violent crime anywhere they go in the country at any given time, because I know it's not a blanket nationwide epidemic. We have localized concentrated violence in areas in the country, like parts of Chicago. But many people live in perfectly fine cities and towns without that level of threat.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
What area of the southside of Chicago? The great majority of the southside of Chicago is great and fine to visit too, albeit there wont be much to see or do. It's highly residential.

I live in a highly residential area too. A favourite walk of mine is up the coast from Seaburn to South Shields. Sometimes I need to cut the walk short and so I head up from the coast and search for a bus route. This can take me through miles of residential neighbourhoods. So yes, I do know how this works. There's plenty to see and do.

Another time when we all still lived in a little house overlooking Lloyd Park in a highly residential area of Walthamstow (at the top right on the London Underground map) one of my kids, the autistic one who has a quirky sense of humour and was at that time in their late teens, thought it would be fun to be able to tell people that we lived within walking distance of Kew Gardens, which is near the bottom left of the London Underground map. So they walked all the way there, through Clapton, Hackney, Finsbury Park, Camden, Paddington, Notting Hill and so on to Chiswick and finally across the river to Kew. It took 5 or 6 hours, and then the tired teenager hopped on the tube and came home. There are some of London's roughest residential areas on the way. But London at its worst isn't that rough.

And so we could always tell people that we lived within walking distance of the famous Botanical Gardens.

We're like that. We walk for pleasure. Is this an unknown pastime in Illinois?

So you wouldn't advise my autistic kid to take a stroll around Englewood? Okay. As I said earlier, I can really see why people don't want to count it when assessing whether America is safe

I honestly think you are being willfully obtuse here. The people you keep responding to are not saying what you think they are saying. America is huge. There is obviously a problem with gun violence in places here. Many posters here with left-leaning politics are in favor of gun control and social safety nets to help the impoverished. I don't think anyone here denies that there are dangerous areas inside/near major cities. I live just outside of St. Louis and the crime rate inside the city proper is constantly in contention for the worst in the country.

If your position is simply "the mere existence of dangerous areas in your country impacts the reputation of the country as a whole" then ok. There's nothing to argue here. I won't debate the point. If you're just visiting the country and not providing specifics on what you plan to do and your question is "will I be safe" I guess the correct answer is "what are you going to be doing here?" For most visitors, however, the answer is going to be "I'm staying in a tourist-y area." Like if you're flying into St. Louis and staying downtown for a couple of days and your itinerary is "I want to see the Arch, go to a Cardinals game, go on a brewery tour, maybe hit the zoo," then my honest advice is you'll be perfectly fine. This is all very safe stuff. If your plan is to go to a night game, get blind drunk at the nearest bar, then meander aimlessly around town after hours I'd caution against this plan and note the crime rates of the city.

The typical visitor in a tourist-friendly area is going to be very safe statistically speaking. Again, that's not to try to say that there aren't issues with violence here. I'm not trying to be patriotic in telling you that one's trip to Las Vegas, San Diego, downtown Chicago, etc. have a near 100% chance of not ending up shot or beaten. This is just genuine relaying of facts to someone who is considering visiting the country. If your point is "what if they're going somewhere less safe?" then OK. They'll be less safe there.

It really does sound as if a lot of people want to talk about areas where nobody with any sense goes, but are scared of using language that might give the wrong impression or feed a false narrative. Fair enough, but at the end of the day you can't arbitrarily discount a dangerous area when assessing whether the country is dangerous. Why is this so difficult to communicate? I must be really poor at this.

Because it has nothing to do with what the person in the beginning of this thread intended to derail the thread with. The OP of a completely different topic literally asked about how safe things were as a tourist, and as a tourist visiting, for example, Chicago, you're not going to fucking Englewood. You're going to the loop, you're going to Gold Coast, Wicker Park, River North, Lakeview, Lincoln Park, maaaaaybe Fulton.

Why make these assumptions? When a friend tells me they're visiting London I don't start compiling a list of places I assume they'll go to. It's also a huge city, though I'm not sure how the geographical extent compares to that of Chicago. But go where you like. There are bits I don't care for but that's mainly because I find the constant drone of traffic near to a main road rather upsetting.

Last edited:

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
If you don't know shit about Chicago, please, for the love of all that's good, stop trying to compare your city to it like it's the same, like it's just another city.

Stryder

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
US
Gangs in the south side of chicago don't give a shit about you or how you feel. They'll shoot you if they find a reason. I was mugged on the train near the south side in 2011 by 3 guys the cops later told me are part of a gang when they were arrested after i gave chase.

There is a lot of rough areas here, and all because of gangs and gang culture in the south side. During the summer a lot of people take the train up to the city to do more shooting or robbing late at night. Everyone knows you have to stay away from the red-line near the south side after a certain time of the day.

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It really does sound as if a lot of people want to talk about areas where nobody with any sense goes, but are scared of using language that might give the wrong impression or feed a false narrative. Fair enough, but at the end of the day you can't arbitrarily discount a dangerous area when assessing whether the country is dangerous. Why is this so difficult to communicate? I must be really poor at this.

I think the problem is that "is (place) safe?" is a very contextual question. If you just mean in the broad sense then I guess you can use dry statistics and find that our per capita murder rates are pretty middle-of-the-pack in the global metrics and this in and of itself is nothing to boast about. We certainly can't boast about our relative safety via that measure. But for most people I think they're probably asking a different question, and the answer is first the follow-up question of "in what sense?"

Anybody planning to go to Chicago (be it for business, pleasure, an event, visiting family, etc.) might look at the crime stats of Chicago and contemplate whether it's safe to visit. That's not an unfair thing to wonder about. And I absolutely get that for a resident of Englewood (for instance), assurances that the areas a mere few miles away from them are safe is not at all reassuring. That's bad that this is the case. It wouldn't be anything worth celebrating for a citizen of Chicago to brag about the safety of the downtown areas and parks and pretend that the crime outside these areas doesn't exist. But more often than not that's not the question they're being asked. They're being asked things like "hey, I've got a job interview in Chicago should these murders I keep hearing about scare me in the 'fearing for my own personal safety' sense?" And the answer is most likely no. The parts of the city you'd be spending time in are very safe. That does not mean that the whole of Chicago is safe and nobody is claiming that it is.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
That's not the point anyone is making. I think the problem here is that you lack an understanding of the sheer scale of Chicago, and the greater US as a whole. You're calling the COUNTRY unsafe despite talking about small micro-fractions of the geographic and demographic whole. It's like saying an entire state is dangerous because a national park has bears in it.

I'm not keen to court a ban. My objection to this line of reasoning is that it's easy for anybody to ignore a problem if they exclude the worst instances. That's not a viable use of statistics. I don't get to describe the weather of Oklahoma as placid because tornadoes don't really affect that many people. I don't get to describe the UK as a perfectly policed country because some years the police manage to not kill anybody.

And I'll leave it there.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
That does not mean that the whole of Chicago is safe and nobody is claiming that it is.

And at the same time, nobody is saying that the crime that happens (anywhere in the city, but especially tougher parts) isn't important or "doesn't count".

If your kid wants to, for some reason, walk 17+ miles from the north side of the city down and through Englewood, they could certainly do that, but I definitely wouldn't do it at night.

And Chicago culture has literally nothing to do with Illinois. Unless you're living on the city limits, nobody is "walking for pleasure" outside the boundaries of Chicago. There isn't shit out there. It's flatter than a piece of paper, the food sucks the further away you get from the city, and there just isn't anything interesting. You want a good walk, we have miles and miles and miles of lake to walk alongside of.