• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Mothers gunned down in Chicago during anti-crime street vigil

Two mothers in Chicago have been killed in a drive-by shooting as they stood on a street corner in an effort to deter gun violence.

Chantell Grant and Andrea Stoudemire were volunteers for Mothers Against Senseless Killings and had been camped out at the corner to prevent conflict.

They were shot on Friday evening by the occupants of a blue SUV. No arrests have yet been made.

"This was a haven that was built by moms," she told ABC 7 in Chicago. "The lack of humanity is shocking," she added.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I saw this earlier today but I didn't want to ruin people's day by sharing it. (No shade, OP)

Just fucking sad. I don't want to live on a planet where people do this.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (5 days): Off-topic trolling and derailing over a series of posts; previous ban for similar behavior
Paging all the defenders in the "is America safe" topic.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
People should be locked up forever, and everyone responsible. Fucking unreal.

Innocent lives lost because america and a bunch of it's people are fucking shit

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Famed tourist destination, Englewood, Chicago.

Because the single most broken neighborhood in all of America is representative of the country as a whole.

It shouldn't matter where you are. Shit just went down at a fucking garlic festival and you're gonna pull the oh it's a shitty neighborhood in Chicago routine.

How many times does it need to happen before we say there's a problem?

It happened at an elementary school.

A Miami gay bar.

Lots of churches.

A Vegas concert.

There's a hundred more in "good" neighborhoods.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm literally fucking crying reading this. What fucking injustice. I hate everything.

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
It shouldn't matter where you are. Shit just went down at a fucking garlic festival and you're gonna pull the oh it's a shitty neighborhood in Chicago routine.

How many times does it need to happen before we say there's a problem?

It happened at an elementary school.

A Miami gay bar.

Lots of churches.

A Vegas concert.

There's a hundred more in "good" neighborhoods.
All horrible incidents but largely statistically irrelevant in terms of being safe for a tourist. Doesnt mean there arent larger issues either. Now if you're going to Englewood, it's a different story completely.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Ok just dismiss the problem here because there are problems elsewhere.

I'm not dismissing the problems here. I'm more concerned about dying in a car accident in America than by gun because math. I'm more concerned about dying from being shot in Belize than at home because math.

I'm for a complete and total assault weapons ban. Was opposed to Republicans getting rid of it when they did.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
You remember Las Vegas, correct?

People just got murdered at a food festival.

Children are massacred in schools.

America is broken.

Tourists don't go to American schools.

A tourist should still worry far more about getting into a car accident than being shot.

I'm not minimizing how terrible this event is, it's incredibly sad and we need better gun control. But it has nothing to do with that other topic you mentioned.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Tourists don't go to American schools.

A tourist should still worry far more about getting into a car accident than being shot.
Gonna gloss over Las Vegas, etc then?

The point is that gun violence doesn't only happen in "bad neighbourhoods". Children normally don't go to school expecting to get shot either.

Las Vegas is one of the largest tourism destinations in the country, and is also the location of the largest US mass shooting ever.

Nov 23, 2017
Gonna gloss over Las Vegas, etc then?

The point is that gun violence doesn't only happen in "bad neighbourhoods". Children normally don't go to school expecting to get shot either.

Las Vegas is one of the largest tourism destinations in the country, and is also the location of the largest US mass shooting ever.
No one said it did.

Always an excuse. No answers. No solutions.

Oh, it's this type of concern troll. You don't come off as well as you think.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
But shaming and tut tutting here solves things right? No one here is pro gun. Who are you trying to rile up?

It's just the usual toxicity.

There's nothing inconsistent between desperately wanting change in US gun policy *and* not being afraid to travel in the USA, but people just love to drag on others any chance they get.

Social media toxicity is actually a big part of the world's problems; bad actors want to divide and polarize the citizenry as much as possible to make it ineffective and unable to enact change. And it works, because psychology.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 days): Continued hostility over a series of posts, ignoring staff post.
But shaming and tut tutting here solves things right? No one here is pro gun. Who are you trying to rile up?

Bruh fuck off. I volunteer for everytown.

Dismissing and normalizing yeah that's def gonna help.

Maybe don't spout off with this armchair shit when you don't know anything about me.

Nov 23, 2017
Bruh fuck off. I volunteer for everytown.

Dismissing and normalizing yeah that's def gonna help.

Maybe don't spout off with this armchair shit when you don't know anything about me.
Ok? So that makes it ok to shit on people in a thread? You were talking to someone who agrees its a huge problem and never said otherwise. They were just responding to that post referencing the other thread, and they were right that statistically the crime and murder rate is down.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
No one said it did.

Oh, it's this type of concern troll. You don't come off as well as you think.

Personally I said anywhere a tourist would want to go is safe.

These women were killed in southside chicago.

———

Thanks, Mom. I'll stop quoting you so as not to derail the thread, but I'm sure you'll continue shaming everyone for their lack of solutions.
đź‘Ť

Nov 23, 2017

———

đź‘Ť
Nothing in that post is about how violence only happens in bad neighborhoods. Don't put words into other peoples' mouths. When a bunch of posters are saying youre wrong...

maybe have some self awareness.

Also this real snarky low effort posting shit is weak. We should hold this forum to a higher standard than AOL instant messenger or twitter memes.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Can we possibly discuss this specific event than something in some other thread? I mean is that possible without continuous derailing?

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine being such a pathetic piece of shit that you'd continue to defend your right to own firearms as a hobby while women and children are murdered everyday. Anyone that continues to "well, actually" about this shit can go fuck themselves.

Also this real snarky low effort posting shit is weak. We should hold this forum to a higher standard than AOL instant messenger or twitter memes.

Not to drag yet another thread into this topic, but have you seen the Tarantino/Bruce Lee thread? Can we stop trying to act like this place is better than anywhere else on the Internet? That illusion was shattered ages ago.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Nothing in that post is about how violence only happens in bad neighborhoods. Don't put words into other peoples' mouths.

Also this real snarky low effort posting shit is weak.
Not as weak as people trying to downplay the problem of gun violence in America. Something I'm frankly shocked to see here.

This is not an isolated incident, and the idea that gun violence across America is somehow off topic in a thread about yet another shooting (at a freaking anti-gun violence rally) is patently ridiculous.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is this the third in three days?
Mass shooting? No, most definitions of mass shooting require 3 or more victims.

This is just your typical summer weekend violence in Chicago's most segregated, most underfunded, and worst policed neighborhood. It's yet another sad example of how decades of mismanagement have created an endless cycle of violence and how current apathy on the part of political leaders ensures that it will not end any time soon

Nov 23, 2017
Imagine being such a pathetic piece of shit that you'd continue to defend your right to own firearms as a hobby while women and children are murdered everyday. Anyone that continues to "well, actually" about this shit can go fuck themselves.
You can believe no one should have firearms or that they should even take them away (I do) while still acknowledging that mass shootings are a different type of crime than the reason why the crime rate in parts of some cities is very high.