• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Had to be done since people still wont take this seriously.
Mayor Lori Lightfoot has ordered Chicago's entire lakefront trail, adjacent parks, 606 Trail and Riverwalk closed, the latest sweeping measure taken by the city to curb the rapidly spreading coronavirus.

The closures were effective immediately and applied to trails, bike paths, green spaces, facilities and parks adjacent to the lakefront, Lightfoot said. Chicago police would aggressively be ramping up patrols in these areas and violators would be subject to a warning, ticket and possible arrest if they don't listen, the mayor said.

"We can't mess around with this one second longer," Lightfoot said at an afternoon news conference.

Contact sports such as football, soccer and basketball are also banned under the order, Lightfoot said.
Invoking the current crisis in New York City, Lightfoot sounded the alarm on what she said could be exponential spikes in hospitalizations over the coming weeks without drastic measures.

"We could be expecting upward of 40,000 hospitalizations in the coming weeks," Lightfoot said, noting it would "break our health care system."

"That is why, if you don't act responsibly and stay at home like you have been ordered to do, we are headed for a situation like we are seeing play out catastrophically every day in New York," Lightfoot said.
www.chicagotribune.com

As Illinois sees largest daily increase in coronavirus cases, Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot bans contact sports; closes popular city parks, beaches and trails

The city’s lakefront trail, parks and beaches are closed, Chicago aldermen said in messages to constituents and social media posts.

Africanus II

Oct 26, 2017
They have to, too many people were running along it still.
Hope this indicates Chicago and Illinois are going to enhance their treatment of this given the density.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
I drove past a minor tourist attraction in my city the other day and it was as busy as it ever is with people crowded around and taking selfies. I also went past a park at 6 PM on a weeknight and it was busier than a beautiful weekend day with people walking, jogging, biking, sitting, etc.

People can't help themselves.

Jugendstil

Oct 25, 2017
I already posted this in the general US Covid thread. I live near one of the beaches and usually walk by it when I go to get fresh air. Yesterday we had nice weather and I was horrified by how many people were just hanging out there in groups, including a large group of older people in lawn chairs. I'm disappointed that so many people are unwilling to follow simple advice and potentially endangering people because of their selfishness, but I'm glad to live in a city and state where our leadership are taking things really seriously.

Oct 28, 2017
What's the problem with jogging, biking or going on a walk alone? You're not in contact with anybody and it's way healthier than just spending weeks indoors.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't gone running by Lakeshore or anything, but I imagine that even with a bunch of people, this shouldn't be an issue right?

My understanding is that the issue primarily comes in when you're in a crowd of people and some sneezing, releasing droplets or someone else saliva gets on to you when you're having a conversation.

Like think about it for a second logically what it would take for you get ill... running outside in an open area. You'd have to essentially get extremely unlucky.

The banning contact sports I can understand.

I think it's more important that people wash their hands, ESPECIALLY before eating finger foods and touching their face in capacity (in addition to just not being in large groups).

Jugendstil

Oct 25, 2017
What's the problem with jogging, biking or going on a walk alone? You're not in contact with anybody and it's way healthier than just spending weeks indoors.

The issue isn't any of that. It was with large groups congregating at the beaches and parks. I didn't think it was that serious until I saw it with my own eyes yesterday. It was bad. As our weather gets nicer, it was only going to get worse too. The beaches and lakefront parks are a huge attraction for the city. Better to do it now and get it over with.

Bluesteel

Oct 25, 2017
So, I live near Uptown and Edgewater and when I went out for a run/walk a few days ago, I noticed a fair amount of people but in general everyone was keeping their distance.

Yesterday I was driving back on Fullerton and could see why this was necessary. Nobody was even attempting to distance themselves from each other, and the overall volume of people was as you'd expect without rules. So yea, it was necessary.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
my city's public parks and their accompanying parking lots have been closed. BUT! yesterday they announced that sporting goods stores are now allowed to open and are classified as "essential" because why the fuck not, right?

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
They can't keep that A ranking for social distancing without forcing this down peoples throats.........fucking idiots won't stay home.

We don't need a god damn New York 2.0 here, its been a slow increase the last week and it needs to stay that way.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Even my little walking/biking trail here in Indianapolis has been a disaster when it comes to social distancing. Obviously with the gyms closed and the weather turning nicer, everyone is wanting to get out and about.

However, literally nobody is practicing the six feet rule maybe because they think they're safer outside? I'm constantly having to veer off into the grass to keep that six feet between me and other people who don't seem nearly as concerned.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I live really close to the lake in Edgewater and yeah, yesterday was bonkers - I took my dog out and saw a ton of people outside in groups. I understand the idea of taking advantage of the nice weather, but now is not the time. This is an unfortunate need to keep people safe.

Brandino

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Anyone want to see some hot takes? Here's some select quotes from the Chicago reddit page:

How can the mayor threaten people with prison while at the same time releasing criminals because she's scared they may potentially get sick. 0 public people should go to prison for waking around if we are releasing actual criminals - I don't care what their crime is.

I think there needs to be approaching a definitive answer for what criteria will be used for when we can live a normal life again.
Because this virus isn't going to just disappear.

Locking people down for 1.5years is scary.

No matter what Chicago does, this disease is going to float around the rest of world and country.

This is overkill. Just because we're in the middle of a public health emergency doesn't give the mayor and the governor the right to act like dictators.
We know who the vulnerable demographics are (the sick, the elderly, the poor). Target those people and let the rest of us go about our daily lives.
It's also a load of bullshit they only focused on the predominantly-white north side.

Extending this bullshit past April 7th will not go over well. Hopefully, President Trump will coerce the fatass Governor to end it early.

I live really close to the lake in Edgewater and yeah, yesterday was bonkers - I took my dog out and saw a ton of people outside in groups. I understand the idea of taking advantage of the nice weather, but now is not the time. This is an unfortunate need to keep people safe.
Hey! You're not too far from where I lived last year.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Anyone want to see some hot takes? Here's some select quotes from the Chicago reddit page:

Nice!

And no shockers at those Reddit comments - the Chicago subreddit is racist as hell. And a big ol' LOL at "predominantly white north side." I guess Uptown, Edgewater, and Rogers Park don't exist. Or maybe the north side is just Lakeview now.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017

I think the communication to these morons is that if everyone does listen and does this sacrifice for a weeks, we as a society will be immensely better off from the healthcare and economic perspective.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Lori just sent out the emergency alert.

People are idiots...

If we have overrun hospitals in the future = there is NO economy

I hope people arguing against this as a "protest" against the government and doing everything that they're not supposed to be doing while encouraging others to do the same lose their job.

I'm not fucking playing today.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Lori just sent out the emergency alert.

People are idiots...

If we have overrun hospitals in the future = there is NO economy

I hope people arguing against this as a "protest" against the government and doing everything that they're not supposed to be doing while encouraging others to do the same lose their job.

I'm not fucking playing today.
It pisses me off how assholes still think this a game I have alot of family here so yeah I am not in the mood for random peoples bullshit.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I posted this yesterday.
I went for a walk on an isolated path today. Kids were playing at the park while their parents sat and watched. More kids were on a baseball field running and playing. Elderly folks were walking their dogs. Everyone walked in tight knit groups while I walked on the opposite side of the path. Cars were zipping by on the adjacent street like normal.

People are done being quarantined. Trump won.
Neighborhood in Chicago (not getting specific for obvious reasons.) I'm done with walks for a while, me thinks.
Glad that Pritzker and Lightfoot have Era accounts and exclusively read my posts.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
this is what sadly needs to happen everywhere because ppl won't listen to soft threats or just simply asking.

Kid Heart

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunate, but necessary. Some people apparently can't help being arrogant jerks who like to ruin it for everyone.

I've sincerely been hoping it stays cold and rainy around the area so more people stay inside.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
It pisses me off how assholes still think this a game I have alot of family here so yeah I am not in the mood for random peoples bullshit.
See this thread for how people still want to treat this social distancing as an optional thing.

www.resetera.com

People have rediscovered nature

I live In rural Ma across the street from a pond. It’s a nice day today and there are so many people walking around it’s surprising. There usually isn’t this many people outside until Summer weekends. A lot of people fishing.

Please help tell this idiot and others that this isn't optional, rural areas aren't immune and "mostly social distancing" isn't enough.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
See this thread for how people still want to treat this social distancing as an optional thing.

www.resetera.com

People have rediscovered nature

I live In rural Ma across the street from a pond. It’s a nice day today and there are so many people walking around it’s surprising. There usually isn’t this many people outside until Summer weekends. A lot of people fishing.

Please help tell this idiot and others that this isn't optional, rural areas aren't immune and "mostly social distancing" isn't enough.
Its good that people are not to in a a panic state but for the love of god what so hard about staying your ass home? Run around in your yard whatever goddamn.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
Its good that people are not to in a a panic state but for the love of god what so hard about staying your ass home? Run around in your yard whatever goddamn.

Not everyone has a yard. If people are distancing themselves, not touching benches/playground equipment, and not playing contact sports- then going outside is fine.

That said, I have no problem with goverment shutting down areas if people are being dumbasses.

I'm lucky, I live next to a park where people are being good. Allot of new people, staying spaced out.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Not everyone has a yard. If people are distancing themselves, not touching benches/playground equipment, and not playing contact sports- then going outside is fine.

That said, I have no problem with goverment shutting down areas if people are being dumbasses.

I'm lucky, I live next to a park where people are being good. Allot of new people, staying spaced out.
True my mistake.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Public health workers were probably out documenting a whole bunch of people still gathering in groups. The people in groups ruined it for the people following the rules. Thats why we cant have nice things.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Daniel Burnham would be very disappointed though it probably had to be done

Keizza

Oct 27, 2017
i live here(Chicago), and i think it is EASILY for the best. People living in large cities need to curb this type of activity. it's just common sense.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah everyone in our office slack today was dunking on these people, we're all stuck at home and annoyed

Zaeia

Jan 3, 2018
Lightfoot needed to do this. I haven been outside twice in two weeks. I recently talked with my friends, and they told me how they were taking long walks everyday and hanging out at parks downtown. I was legit shocked. Then I saw the picture of people on the 606 and knew that Pritzker's message to go to large outdoor spaces wouldn't work because the city is too populous.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I went out yesterday to walk around and it wasn't a lot of people out. There were families at the park but each for distance pretty far from the other but I saw pictures of the Lakefront trail and it was insane. This was the right move since people don't seem to know how to act, I'm glad she did it.