• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Good.

Chicago Sun Times said:
The White Sox and Illinois Sports Facilities Authority are planning to extend the protective netting at Guaranteed Rate Field down the lines to the foul poles, according to a source.

Exact details will be announced later, but the changes will be made as soon as possible this season.

All 30 major league teams extended netting to the ends of their dugouts before the 2018 season, but going beyond was left up to each individual team. No ballpark currently extends the netting all the way to the foul poles in the outfield corners.

Calls for more netting increased after a 4-year-old girl was struck by a foul ball off the bat of Cubs outfielder Albert Almora at Minute Maid Park in Houston on May 29. A woman was bloodied and taken to a hospital after behing hit by a foul ball off the bat of Eloy Jimenez at Guaranteed Rate Field on June 10. At both parks, netting extends to the ends of the dugouts. In both cases, extended netting would have protected those particular fans.

RobotHaus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mars University
This will affect the way the game is played with less foul balls being able to be caught. But if it saves even one life then it's entirely worth it.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Getting a foul ball is one of the neat little thrills of watching a baseball game live, but I'd rather have kids be safe.

StoveOven

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good. Balls are being hit harder and harder these days and people are getting hurt.

I'll never understand people who get worked up over this stuff.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well that was fast. Why is it lame?

The players want it and it would prevent people like that 4-year-old girl from getting struck and possibly killed.

It's baseball. Folks fight change until the death. That's why my league has yet to adopt the DH even though it gives AL teams a huge advantage locking up power hitters to long-term deals.

Oct 29, 2017
Good. Foul balls are cool, but not worth injury. I can't wait until someone comes in here and talks about how you should always watch a game at all times no matter what and that you should always be able to catch the ball (no matter if you're very young, old, or not able to catch a ball).

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
There will still be foul balls, just not ones coming off the bat at 115 MPH directly at your face.
Yeah, the pop up foul balls are at least safer to catch and avoid but those screamers off the bat are fucking scary. My town has a semi-pro team that I go watch regularly and even the foul balls they hit come at you like rockets.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hope they don't go toooo high up, foul balls are a part of the game, but screaming line drives should be blocked. So a happy middle ground should be OK, I hope.

Also, if you are at a baseball game, pay attention. Be this guy (or any of these people), and not the kid on the phone about to be plastered by a bat because you JUST HAD TO attack in Boom Beach (or whatever he was doing other than watching the game).
09BatMan_xp-articleLarge.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ElectricBlanketFire

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they don't go toooo high up, foul balls are a part of the game, but screaming line drives should be blocked. So a happy middle ground should be OK, I hope.

Also, if you are at a baseball game, pay attention. Be this guy (or any of these people), and not the dopey kid on the phone about to be plastered by a bat because you JUST HAD TO attack in Boom Beach (or whatever he was doing other than watching the game).
09BatMan_xp-articleLarge.jpg

This is dumb. Nobody is paying attention 100% of the time. Even if you were, you can't stop fastballs screaming into the stands.

Again, the players want this.

Oct 28, 2017
It's good in theory. Not sue it will work in every ballpark with the way the dimensions are different. Would this somehow change the rules if a flyball hits the nets but falls back in play.(in the area past the ball girls but before the warning track)

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
It's good in theory. Not sue it will work in every ballpark with the way the dimensions are different. Would this somehow change the rules if a flyball hits the nets but falls back in play.(in the area past the ball girls but before the warning track)
No, hitting the net would be ruled a foul ball just like it already is with the netting behind home plate.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
They are worthless and the way people climb over chairs and fight with each other over them is juvenile.

So? Why does it have to have a monetary value attached to it? Sentimental value is important to some people. People can take it too far but for kids it is a memorable thing. I can still remember the job I felt getting a foul ball in a Triple A game. Foul balls are an important part of baseball and they lead to sometimes great plays and moments. Think about all the times a foul ball has produced an awesome play. You want them alll gone? Should the net be extended to the outfield as well as a homerun ball can potentially hurt someone?

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately this just has to happen. I do think the netting has a negative impact as a fan, though (at least where I've seen it implemented), and given some of the trends with MLB attendance and popularity, that's not a great thing.

OP
OP
ElectricBlanketFire

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
So? Why does it have to have a monetary value attached to it? Sentimental value is important to some people. People can take it too far but for kids it is a memorable thing. I can still remember the job I felt getting a foul ball in a Triple A game. Foul balls are an important part of baseball and they lead to sometimes great plays and moments. Think about all the times a foul ball has produced an awesome play. You want them alll gone? Should the net be extended to the outfield as well as a homerun ball can potentially hurt someone?

You know what else is memorable for a kid? Getting hit in the face with a baseball.

Going to the game is the memory. 99.9% of the people at the stadium aren't leaving with a foul ball.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I said, clear as day, in the post you replied to that some netting, "TO STOP SCREAMING LINE DRIVES" , should be used, but I dont think they should go to the roof, so that pop ups and fall into the stands.

So, this bat would be blocked. A frozen rope into the stands at field level is blocked. But a lazy oppo-field pop foul, falls into the stands.

If that is still 'dumb', then I suppose home run balls need to be blocked too?

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
As somebody who was hit square in the head with a baseball without a helmet (dude threw it to me from the outfield and didn't notify), I support this lol. Not a good feeling and people are getting hurt far worse than that.

OP
OP
ElectricBlanketFire

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I said, clear as day, in the post you replied to that some netting, "TO STOP SCREAMING LINE DRIVES" , should be used, but I dont think they should go to the roof, so that pop ups and fall into the stands.

So, this bat would be blocked. A frozen rope into the stands at field level is blocked. But a lazy oppo-field pop foul, falls into the stands.

If that is still 'dumb', then I supposed home run balls need to be blocked too?

I was referring to victim blaming fans momentarily not paying attention for getting injured by objects flying into the stands as dumb.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
What's more important

1) A kid

2) A foul ball

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
From what I can tell, this is something many MANY players have requested for some time now, specifically because they don't want to fucking kill anybody with a line-drive foul ball (which while rare, DOES happen). Frankly, I can't blame em, even without the threat of legal action, I wouldn't want something like that on my conscience.

It's not as if foul balls will never be caught at a baseball game again, but this does dramatically lessen the probability of people being injured. The game will survive.