• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Via The Star:
That chicken sandwich will come with a side order of spin.

Chick-fil-A, a U.S. chicken restaurant chain whose president has spoken out publicly against gay marriage, has hired communications firm Navigator to lobby provincial and city government officials, amid angry protests surrounding the opening of the chain's first major Canadian restaurant in Toronto last week. They've also hired the local office of a New York-based company to handle public relations.

Neither Chick-fil-A nor Navigator would comment on details of the contract, but official documents filed with the provincial lobbyists' registry show the company has been hired to lobby Vic Fedeli, the Ontario minister of economic development, job creation and trade, as well as labour minister Monte McNaughton.

"Chick-fil-A will open its first major Canadian restaurant in Toronto this fall. To ensure a smooth launch, we want to facilitate open dialogue and foster long-term relationships with key decision makers in areas of interest to their operations," said the entry in the lobbyists' registry maintained with the provincial Office of the Integrity Commissioner.

Chick-fil-A has also hired Navigator to lobby city government officials about economic development, according to Toronto's Office of the Lobbyist Registrar.
I thought it was "just chicken" you guys?!

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
not surprised. there was always something creepy about how nice chick fil a workers are. its alll a front

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
not surprised. there was always something creepy about how nice chick fil a workers are
It's that that creeps you out, and not the fact that literally the only reason they close on Sunday is because a 2000-year-old book said so instead of it just being a nice gesture to the employees?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
God-trump-and-Chick-Fil-A-shirt-long-sleeved.jpg

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
It's that that creeps you out, and not the fact that literally the only reason they close on Sunday is because a 2000-year-old book said so instead of it just being a nice gesture to the employees?
that too but ive only ever been to chick fil a once and that was my impression

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
So... what exactly does this mean? Is Chick-fil-A going to be aligning itself with the Conservative Party and providing free sandwiches to anyone that brings in proof that they've assaulted someone that identifies as LGBT, or has punched a woman in the face that had an abortion?

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
Also
"Chick-fil-A will open its first major Canadian restaurant in Toronto this fall. To ensure a smooth launch, we want to facilitate open dialogue and foster long-term relationships with key decision makers in areas of interest to their operations," said the entry in the lobbyists' registry maintained with the provincial Office of the Integrity Commissioner.
What on earth does this mean? They're apparently already permitted to open a restaurant. What lobbying do they need to do?

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
not surprised. there was always something creepy about how nice chick fil a workers are. its alll a front

What does that have to do with what's in the OP? I know a couple people who used to work at Chick-fil-A when in high school. Despite their backing of anti-gay foundations (which is dumb), they treat their employees extremely well, more-so than some sit-down restaurant chains. The employees are happy because Chick-fil-A treats them right and the more it gets known, hopefully more fast-food chains follow their method of employee treatment. It needs to be more wide-spread.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Sounds like your usual "capitalist using capital to buy political favors and thus more capital" bullshit. This isn't even remotely unique to Chik-fil-a, not that anyone should be less disgusted by it.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like your usual "capitalist using capital to buy political favors and thus more capital" bullshit. This isn't even remotely unique to Chik-fil-a, not that anyone should be less disgusted by it.
CFA uses capital to electrocute vulnerable people.

Maybe not, but the money still does dirty deeds.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck this company trying to mess with Canadian politics. It's disgusting what they support and worse how readily people are willing to throw groups they claim to support our are allies of under the bus for some shitty chicken

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand what makes any of this out of the ordinary or particularly sinister...
As someone who has personally and extensively looked through federal lobbyist registries, something I don't imagine many do (and I wouldn't recommend it), I don't either.

You'd be surprised the kinds of companies that do this, and how many tens of thousands of them there are. Lobbying is what it is.

A major food franchise trying to expand into a new region? They're all there, and it'd be crazy if they weren't.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, the 2000 year old book tells them to be closed on Saturday; some old, dead pope tells them to be closed on Sunday.

OP
OP
UnpopularBlargh
Oct 26, 2017
Seriously, "American business hires Candian PR firm familiar with the country" isn't news.
American business with history of funding shitty beliefs and practices hiring PR firms to lobby politicians and political groups while facing daily protests in a country where they've just opened their first location isn't news?

Uh huh. Okay.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
American business with history of funding shitty beliefs and practices hiring PR firms to lobby politicians and political groups while facing daily protests in a country where they've just opened their first location isn't news?

Uh huh. Okay.
"American company which just opened its first restaurant and is looking to expand to new locations hires PR/Lobbying Firm."

Yes, their social politics suck. But this is a boring standard move you'd expect from a company looking to expand that would never get a thread normally but gets one here because you don't like them.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
A business hiring lobbyist to influence politicians isn't a new or strange thing. It's rather mundane. Chick-Fil-A being odious on social issues doesn't change that.

OP
OP
UnpopularBlargh
Oct 26, 2017
"American company which just opened its first restaurant and is looking to expand to new locations hires PR/Lobbying Firm."

Yes, their social politics suck. But this is a boring standard move you'd expect from a company looking to expand that would never get a thread normally but gets one here because you don't like them.
You don't care. Gotcha.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just want to say a big fuck you to everyone on Era who still eats there and says it's not a big deal. And a big nice fist fuck to all the gays who do as well.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
fox probably treats their employees well too. or the nra, or the republicans

Am I supposed to care about fox, and somehow think they're good because of how they treat their staff? fuck cfa

OP
OP
UnpopularBlargh
Oct 26, 2017
I don't eat there because of their social policies- I'm gay! I care, but not to the point that I'm going to get mad about business I don't like doing standard business things that any business (regardless of how I feel about them) would be doing to try to expand their business.
Maybe you should care that companies that support policies that actively harm a community you and I are a part of are trying to lobby politicians be it to expand business or anything else.

Also you do have the option of ignoring the thread if you find this news to be trivial. This is like going into an any other thread and posting "I don't like thing".

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
I don't eat there because of their social policies- I'm gay! I care, but not to the point that I'm going to get mad about business I don't like doing standard business things that any business (regardless of how I feel about them) would be doing to try to expand their business.

pro tip, lots of people here think the system is shitty and normalising these practices is one of the many reasons why our governments are dog shit.

But you do you

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
Lots of good thread whining in here. You don't care about this? It's boring and standard for a company to do this? You don't think it should have a thread?

Ok. You didn't have to click. Chick Fil A getting more influence to push their bullshit is a net loss for society.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
If Scheer wins they will lobby his newly reopened "Office of Religious Freedom" to refuse service to LGBT in their restaurants in Canada.

Just watch.

Bonafide

Oct 11, 2018
pro tip, lots of people here think the system is shitty and normalising these practices is one of the many reasons why our governments are dog shit.

But you do you

nah man, its just business doing business stuff. just dont eat there, ya doofus.

even though they're going to use their capital to influence policies to acquire more capital and fund organizations to go after LGBT folks

just business things

JealousKenny

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
The shitty part is Chick fil A is spreading everywhere. It's driven a good chunk of the KFCs in my area out of business. Popeyes is trying its hardest to compete, but Chick Fil A is playing offense.

The KFCs are leaving by cause they suck, not because of Chic fil A. Down the street from me is a Chic Fil A next to a Zaxbys which is a block from Bojangles. All three are chicken spots but are known for different types of chicken and all three are thriving. The KFC would be competition for Bojangles in this scenario.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
We're only on page 1 and we have posts defending a known anti-LGBT corporation from spreading their influence into government. Super rad.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
Im Canadian. This is news to me. Fuck chic fil a. And what the fuck at the thread whining about making a thread over this? I'm glad this was brought to my attention. Thanks OP.