• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

100%
He just misspoke. Don't blow it out of proportion, can happen to the best of us.
C'mon, this is at LEAST deserving of a half-smirk.
concernedman.jpg

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
If they get any real blowback from this, they'll just say it was misunderstood. This admin gets more mulligans than Trump does golfing.

Edit: wow, he already did.

Last edited:

xbhaskarx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NorCal
I love when something is blatantly obvious to anyone with a functioning brain, like for example it was stated on national television for all to see, and right wing pundits still try to put their spin on it...

That's Byron York, formerly of the National Review, "Chief political correspondent Washington Examiner, Fox News contributor, author of The Vast Left Wing Conspiracy"

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
I would ask what kind of Mickey Mouse operation Trump has going on in the White House, but I would actually kill to have Mickey Mouse as president right now.

And yes, I know he's a not real. A fucking drawing of Mickey Mouse would be a better president right now...

The closed depositions and witnesses actually complying with the subpoenas and their stupidity has run their ship aground.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
The only place where quid pro quo happens on the regular and in a systemic way is in the intelligence community, where there's constant bartering with allied or neutral foreign services about pieces of intelligence. "You tell me what you know about X and we'll tell you what we know about Y", that kind of stuff. Most allied nations have an actual quid pro quo department specifically for this purpose. In a charitable reading, Mulvaney could be confusing the international intelligence 'marketplace' with US diplomacy.

But then again, Occam's razor suggests he's an incompetent ass.

Jeffapp

Oct 29, 2017
He's trying to say the investigation request was for the DNC server from 2016, and not about Biden, thus taking away the "political opponent in election year" angle and legitimizing the withholding of funds as normal protocol. He's trying to make it that the withholding of funds was not for the President's personal benefit, but truly to investigate corruption. That's why he also mentions the withholding of aid to other countries. Almost a smart play...

Except the transcript directly from Trump mentions Biden specifically, so way to go.

Also the investigation is using the presidents own lawyer a Person outside the government as its primary contact not the already setup investigation departments the government has in place. Like having Batman on the government pay roll.

CNoodles

Banned
Mar 7, 2019
Well US government has been corrupt for a long time, but it is surprising to see that they do not care if the public knows. Guarantee nothing will ever be done about it and Trump will still has a great chance at reelection.

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
This is the usual cycle..
1. "whaaaaat? no we, didn't.. what an outrageous accusation"
2. "the evidence you've presented is manipulated/the witness is a liar"
3. "well, yes we did... but it isn't a crime"

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the usual cycle..
1. "whaaaaat? no we, didn't.. what an outrageous accusation"
2. "the evidence you've presented is manipulated/the witness is a liar"
3. "well, yes we did... but it isn't a crime"
4. every single republican : "it doesn't matter what crimes were committed as long as our team did it"

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
It's worth noting that when the Watergate investigation was at its highest and Nixon looked very, VERY guilty the attitude among his supporters dudn't change much. They went from "he didn't do it" to "so what? The democrats will ruin the country so it's totally justified to break the law".

the same is happening here.

AlwaysSalty

The Fallen
Nov 12, 2017
That's what happens when you fire anyone says no to you and surround yourself with yes men. That's why the transcript was put out like that, they are so dumb they don't know their the bad guys.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
"Hold on. I didn't say quid pro quo. I said squid pro whoa. Did you see that squid's skills at Fortnite?"

Erpy

May 31, 2018
It's worth noting that when the Watergate investigation was at its highest and Nixon looked very, VERY guilty the attitude among his supporters dudn't change much. They went from "he didn't do it" to "so what? The democrats will ruin the country so it's totally justified to break the law".

the same is happening here.

Except this time there's a right-wing media ecosystem to keep jittery senators firmly in line.

Vinci

Oct 29, 2017
trump Supporters and people with Greek philosophy statues in their avatars: "But show me the proof and evidence he lied!"

Everyone: here's thevideo of him literally saying it.

Trump supporters: *gone like a fart in the wind*
Hey now! I take exception to the first sentence.

That said, this will be successfully walked back amongst those who are die-hard Trump supporters, but there's no way in hell it works for anyone else.

YesNoMaybeSo

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 10, 2019
PA, USA
Cute, attempting to legitimize what Trump's done with what Biden did. Biden did no such thing.

While Biden was VP, a multilateral initiative was underway to combat Ukrainian corruption, and the withholding of funds (of which the U.S. was only a part of) were contingent upon that reform. General prosecutor Shokin, criticized for failing to hold to account corrupt individuals from the previous regime, was already facing mounting pressure to resign on various fronts. Trump, in the transcript, (unsurprisingly) speaks highly of him. He stated this in light of the EU, the U.S.'s (amongst others) years past indictment of Shokin, who was apparently so corrupt that his deputy general prosecutor Vitaliy Kasko resigned in 2016 in protest from all of it occurring under his watch.

Curious that Trump seemed entirely unconcerned about corruption when the corrupt suddenly became the means to serve Trump's best interest in being able to procure dirt to use against his most likely prospective political opponent. It's not surprising Trump claimed him a "good and fair prosecutor" that got treated "very unfairly", because if he paints Shokin in high esteem and a man of integrity instead, then the potency of the false narrative of Shokin being let go exclusively due to Biden's actions to protect his son is stronger and paints Biden in a much worse light. Sadly for him, Shokin isn't the golden boy that Trump's hoping for as he was condemned on numerous fronts for letting corruption fly, and pressured to leave by numerous people.

Now they are attempting to frame Trump's actions as similar to Bidens in withholding aid to combat corruption when:

1) Trump refers to Shokin on more than one occasion in the transcript as an upstanding guy.
2) As such, if he's so concerned with corruption, why did he excuse it when it served his own interests?
3) Crowdstrike has been thoroughly debunked as a conspiracy theory over and again, so that is a 100% groundless fallback when they attempt to deny this quid pro quo wasn't about Biden but instead investigating corruption.

Last edited:

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
They get to have it both ways, again: Trump's campaign is making "Get Over It" shirts, even as various part of his admin walk back Mulvaney's comments:

MSN story

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
They don't "get to", they just have no shame making shirts that say "I shat myself!"

What I mean is, they believe both things at the same time: first, that Trump didn't do anything wrong, and second, that he did do something wrong (or that would be wrong if someone else did it), but so what, fuck you, libs.

Republicans do this with everything. Their "logic" starts with "we're right", and connects backwards from there. No contradiction, even if it's with one of their (supposedly) deepest-held beliefs can change that conclusion, and multiple paths to reach it don't faze them in the slightest.

"Get to" as in there are no negative consequences. Just increased fundraising.

Well, hopefully there will be some negative consequences, beyond getting badmouthed. But based on history, they will fall far short of fitting the crimes.