• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Am I allowed the criticize the the court, the country (government) and the Islamic rules in general? Is that ok here?

Also you've got to be kidding me. Someone actually played the whole thing and instead of being proud that it's a good Iranian game they decided to take devs to the court because it's not Islamic enough? Who the fuck cares? Are the rules even that important?

Last edited:

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the likely result for the game's creator? Should we be concerned about his safety or...?

EDIT: To clarify, is this something that is likely to result in a fine, pulling the game, jail time or would it be result in something life threatening? I don't know how punishment escalates or not in this court or how severe the accused crimes are in that justice system.

Last edited:

ahbs22

Sep 20, 2019
you can see this kind of bullshit only in Iran and other 3rd world Islamic countries!

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
this is very fucked up, but it's nothing new. people get called up to court here for smaller things, sadly
this really sucks for the devs :(

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I try not to crap on cultures I'm not from to much but that's gonna be a big ol "FUCK YOU" from me.

Don't know the dev but they shouldn't have to deal with this. Hope they get through this all right.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
yes, we should! 😑
that's the point bro.

I don't know whether something like this is likely to result in a fine, mild jail time or something much more dire because I have no frame of reference for religious offense based justice systems and how severe his supposed infractions are. I thought that was clear from my question, but I'll go edit it.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know whether something like this is likely to result in a fine, mild jail time or something much more dire because I have no frame of reference for religious offense based justice systems and how severe his supposed infractions are. I thought that was clear from my question, but I'll go edit it.

bigger question is if they will force them to retract the game from sale

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
pretty nuts considering how innocuous the game is. like if it was a shooter with a bunch of stylized western tropes i'd be like "oh yeah, that's disappointing but not surprising"

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
well, actually it's officially published in Iran tho.
oh, didn't know that. well they can stop the sales of the game from there for sure. but outside of iran where the game is published by 11 bit studios, they're not gonna be able to do anything about it.

fspm

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Welcome to real world.
This wouldn't be a problem if authorities didn't know who the dev is which they know how?

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
I hope this doesn't affect them too badly. They just released a roadmap for more upcoming content including a paid expansion. It's also my favorite roguelike. If you haven't played it then check it out.

CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018
oh, didn't know that. well they can stop the sales of the game from there for sure. but outside of iran where the game is published by 11 bit studios, they're not gonna be able to do anything about it.
yeah they prolly cant do shit about it being published elsewhere.
biggest problem is that they had a new game in works and i wonder what will happen to that.
hope they dont get in too much trouble.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Is the developer currently in Iran? If not can they apply for refugee status to escape capital punishment for blasphemy under Iranian law?

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
based on what i'm seeing, looks they they had some pos fanatic who's taking them to court over this, but i don't see anything that would get them into major trouble. nothing majorly anti-islam or against the iranian government.
i'm optimistic that the court won't take it too seriously and they'll get away with a slap on the wrist. still very fucked up that they have to go to court over this in the first place and the case wasn't immediately thrown out.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
This sucks I hope they make it out of this alright, not really sure what this means for them but it doesn't sound good.

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
Does anyone know what the penalties in Iran are for these alleged violations or is this just a thread where folks get to exercise their Orientalist worldviews?

ahbs22

Sep 20, 2019
based on what I'm seeing, looks they had some pos fanatic who's taking them to court over this, but i don't see anything that would get them into major trouble. nothing majorly anti-Islam or against the Iranian government.
I'm optimistic that the court won't take it too seriously and they'll get away with a slap on the wrist.
but the fact that this is an ABSOLUTE BULLSHIT can't be ignored!
they currently have another game in development and most likely they will be forced to inject some Iran goverment-ish or anti-American context into the game or sensor the game!

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
I wish the devs the best. Children of Morta is an excellent game. Roguelike, but no ever really dies and it doesn't feel like the punishment it does to me in other games of this type. Great Diablo - esque gameplay. Most importantly it has a big heart. The trials and tribulations of the Bergson family are the absolute highlight for me. Go get it.

Last edited:

TibimusPrime

Nov 26, 2017
Company and personnel is based in the US, Texas. However, most of the dev's are born / from Iran, and of course the game is published in Iran as well.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
well, actually it's officially published in Iran tho.

That's... odd.

If they self published in Iran then I could see mistakes being made here because there is a big reason why developers try to hook up with publishers to avoid legal penalties.

If they negotiated with another company to publish on their behalf then that publisher fucked up to a large degree. They should've known better because it is their job to protect the developers from scenarios like this.