• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I hope OP adds some context to this, because I'm a bit lost here. "The court" is a bit of a pointless statement, without us knowing which court.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know what the penalties in Iran are for these alleged violations or is this just a thread where folks get to exercise their Orientalist worldviews?
Fines, flogging, or imprisonment. At least one of those, I'd imagine, depending on their luck with the ruling.

Islamic Penal Code of the Islamic Public of Iran - Chapter 18 said:
Article 640– The following individuals shall be sentenced to three months to one year of imprisonment and a fine of one million and five hundred Rials to six million Rials and up to 74 lashes or to one or two of the above punishments.

1 – Anyone who, for distribution and business purposes, displays and shows to the public, or produces or keeps any writing or design, gravure, painting, picture, newspapers, advertisements, signs, film, cinema movie, or basically anything, that violates public prudency and morality.

2 – Anyone who, whether personally or through someone else, for the abovementioned purposes, imports or exports the aforementioned objects, or by any means deals or acts as a broker to the [abovementioned] business or any other businesses, or benefits from renting the said objects.

3 – Anyone who, by any means, advertises to encourage dealing and promoting the abovementioned objects, or introduces people who commit the abovementioned illegal acts, or the place the said objects can be obtained.

Note 1- This article is not applicable in the case of objects that are obtained or bought or sold or used in accordance to the Shari'a rules and for scientific or any other permitted reasonable purposes.

Note 2- The object mentioned in this article shall be seized and their contents shall be removed and then shall be submitted to the relevant state organ to be used properly.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope OP adds some context to this, because I'm a bit lost here. "The court" is a bit of a pointless statement, without us knowing which court.
they've been summoned to the "ethics police" for questioning, they say they have to go to court next. they have a private party that's taking them to court over the content of the game.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Theocracy continuing to show it's ass.

Hope nothing serious happens to the devs. Game looks fun though.

ahbs22

Sep 20, 2019
That's... odd.

If they self published in Iran then I could see mistakes being made here because there is a big reason why developers try to hook up with publishers to avoid legal penalties.

If they negotiated with another company to publish on their behalf then that publisher fucked up to a degree that they should've known better because it is their job to protect the developers from scenarios like this.
believe it or not, it doesn't work like that in Iran! the law has a lot of backdoors.
if you call it "law" anyway...

LastCupOfBullets

Alt account
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
User banned (permanent): trolling, alt account
I sent a Tweet saying:

"No worries... My country will send a drone to assassinate the lawsuit against your client."

lol.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
they've been summoned to the "ethics police" for questioning, they say they have to go to court next. they have a private party that's taking them to court over the content of the game.

The ethics police where? Who are the ethics police? From which country? The same as the devs? Does anything say that they have comply even the slightest?

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
This better not affect the Roadmap, the game has an insame amount of potential and it's already great.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know what the penalties in Iran are for these alleged violations or is this just a thread where folks get to exercise their Orientalist worldviews?

Cases like this are generally handled not in legal courts but in Sharia courts and it's all up to the judgment of the judges. Reports of blasphemy cases from Iran show all kinds of punishments, including capital. Who knows how far they'll go. In situations like this, it's pretty terrifying because you have no expectations as to how bad it can go. It's designed to intimidate people. Oh and I grew up in the Middle East, for your reference

edit: it doesn't matter if it's not published in Iran. These sharia courts are not legal courts. They can argue whatever they want.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I have a feeling people are new to the situation in Iran. It's one of the most repressive theocracies in the world, people.

I sent a Tweet saying:

"No worries... My country will send a drone to assassinate the lawsuit against your client."

lol.

... the fuck?

This better not affect the Roadmap, the game has an insame amount of potential and it's already great.

Yeah, that's the most important thing here /rolleyes.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the moral police are already coming after me...

Oh, woe is you. Cry more, kiddo. Devs are facing jail or worse potentially for their game. No one cares about your dumb unfunny jokes. Get some perspective, you privileged pissant. Piss off back to GameFAQs, 4chan, KotakuInAction, kiwifarms or wherever else where they like dumb inane bullshit of that sort.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
That is disturbing. This is why countries should have separation of religious institution and state. Good grief, I hope they remain unscathed.

Hogger

Nov 18, 2017
An unsettling reminder that not everyone enjoys the freedom that we on this board experience.

What's the best case for the dev here? Can it be dismissed? Surely worst case is they do jail time and have their product pulled?

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
They were sued by a private party (read a pos) but then the government/law decided to go after the devs after they decided that the content in the game is "unethical."

So this is now the government going after them and not just a private party. At best they'll be fined and forced to pull the game off the store (they might be asked to pull it off even from other stores outside of Iran, even if they don't have much control over the situation there they can pressure the devs), and at worst they might face actual jail time.

I'm praying that it doesn't come to that.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
This sucks so much, didn't know the devs were from Iran. Heard so many good things about Children of Morta, we should support the dev as much as we can. I'll be getting the game right away because I fear it might be pulled from storefronts in the future.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah. As soon I get back home, I will be purchasing the game to show support.

I saw the game before but had no clue devs were Iranian.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
What's the best case for the dev here? Can it be dismissed? Surely worst case is they do jail time and have their product pulled?
Judging by the "unethical" examples, no it can't be completely dismissed sadly.

At best they'll be asked to pull the game from the Persian storefront, make the game "ethical", and then sell it again. (And they'll most likely be fined as well)

Last edited:

ColonelForbin

Oct 28, 2017
Time for this great little indie company to move and fast. Especially with what is going on with Iran right now.

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Nothing else to be said here than my wish and hope that someday the people of Iran (and elsewhere) will live their lives free of this torment.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
That's highly fucked up and shouldn't happen/exist.
I hope they will be alright. Didn't know about the background of the developers. Great game, got the platinum trophy and now waiting for more content.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never heard of this game before. It looks really good and the devs don't deserve this mess. The morons who decided this was "unislamic" make me want to puke. Hopefully they get through this with the least trouble possible.

I sent a Tweet saying:

lol.
What an insensitive post. There is nothing funny about your shitty jokes knowing that A) The US is attempting to start a war with Iran and B) The developers are having to go through this mess.

Fuck off with these "jokes".

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
He should release a version "fitted" for Iran's standards. This gon be fun. Like those Team Fortress versions fitted for Germany, no blood, all of the characters are robots, etc.

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019

Cases like this are generally handled not in legal courts but in Sharia courts and it's all up to the judgment of the judges. Reports of blasphemy cases from Iran show all kinds of punishments, including capital. Who knows how far they'll go. In situations like this, it's pretty terrifying because you have no expectations as to how bad it can go. It's designed to intimidate people. Oh and I grew up in the Middle East, for your reference

edit: it doesn't matter if it's not published in Iran. These sharia courts are not legal courts. They can argue whatever they want.

Thanks. Praying for good fortune.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Oct 26, 2017
Jesus Christ, I hope that a fine is the worst thing that can happen to them. I'd hate to see something worse happen, especially over a complete non-issue

Oct 29, 2017
[/QUOTE]

Ah yes, priorities