• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a fight worth having. Or at least I'm tired already of needing to deal with something like that.

Oh well, I'm all for people exposing their inner thoughts. Since that fellow seems to have a lot of things to say, I'm willing to open my ears and listen to what they might have to say.
570318245374984193.png

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely terrible to hear. I'm shocked that it took this long for either the US government to take their publishers to court, as they made Garshasp and its sequel when US sanctions banned business with the country, or Iran's government to try something like this because they worked in some heavy fantasy elements in all their games that could easily run afoul of religious hardliners.

Hopefully this court appearance is more to intimidate than punish because it could be bad if it's the latter.

Will be looking into grabbing the the game later today, for what little a show of support i can provide by doing so.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Leave this country with that trash government and medieval rules if they're still there (which I don't hope). If not I guess they better not get back EVER.

Totally love this game.

Deleted member 35653

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Damn, just yesterday I wanted to get the game but opted for Slay the Spire, but it's definitely in my wish list. I hope they can get a political refugee status.

I hope something happens in Iran, since Khomeini they have been in a reverse spiral that is holding back the country. I wish for a peaceful revolution but don't know if it's possible, the Islamic regime had the support of a lot of lower levels of society, at least back in the '70.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I just got this game a few days ago and have been loving it. Reading through the thread, I'm kind of confused on what the actual situation is. But I really hope everything turns out alright.

neferteetee

Oct 28, 2017
Connecticut, USA
Oh no I hope they can come out of this relatively unscathed. It's fucked that this is even an issue in the first place.
They are a talented group and I wish them all the best.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Judging by their tweets they are clearly in Iran.

And just as I feared it seems like the international attention is putting the devs in more trouble :(

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
Damn, just yesterday I wanted to get the game but opted for Slay the Spire, but it's definitely in my wish list. I hope they can get a political refugee status.

I hope something happens in Iran, since Khomeini they have been in a reverse spiral that is holding back the country. I wish for a peaceful revolution but don't know if it's possible, the Islamic regime had the support of a lot of lower levels of society, at least back in the '70.

It's not gonna be peaceful. In the last few months at least 300 people have been killed in protest with the opposition saying over 600 have already died.

I hope the devs and their family are save and stay save.

kiriku

Oct 27, 2017
Sucks to hear this, I hope they get through this without much trouble.
Been playing Children of Morta these past few days actually, completely absorbed by it, amazing game.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
So literally Iran making a big deal about it is causing the devs to get in more trouble with Iran. Amazing, sound logic from the magical land of religion and theocracy.

The cruelty is the point. Sharia courts do this to make an example of people to intimidate others. The point is to create a culture of fear so the next "offender" will be too afraid to try.

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
It shouldn't make you feel hateful. Thinking an idea or belief is stupid/backward/destructive/insane doesn't make you hateful or bigoted. It's when you take your criticism of the belief/culture/idea and apply to people that it becomes hateful.

Seeing that "bigot" is "one who is narrow-mindedly devoted to their own ideas and groups and intolerant of (people of) differing ideas, races, genders, religions, politics, etc." I think Lego Killer Moth 's concern is warranted.

They desire a different result, but "death to all religion" ain't it. More than 4/5 of the world is religious.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
A lack of hijab? The characters were vaguely white and the setting is a semi-generic Tolkien world. Didn´t they have Old Testament sounding names too?

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing that "bigot" is "one who is narrow-mindedly devoted to their own ideas and groups and intolerant of (people of) differing ideas, races, genders, religions, politics, etc." I think Lego Killer Moth 's concern is warranted.

They desire a different result, but "death to all religion" ain't it. More than 4/5 of the world is religious.

This moral relativism is nice and all, but being intolerant towards intolerance is not really the biggest issue. This thread is a very poor place to be taking this stance, considering, it's about people being persecuted on religious grounds, by an authority that is able to assign the death penalty.

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
This moral relativism is nice and all, but being intolerant towards intolerance is not really the biggest issue. This thread is a very poor place to be taking this stance, considering, it's about people being persecuted on religious grounds, by an authority that is able to assign the death penalty.

Based upon the contributions in this in this thread (particularly when I asked earlier what the potential penalty/charges would be), it would seem that prison or fines are more likely than the extreme; prison was also the sentence assigned to the women who were protesting hijab during fall 2019.

This isn't a question of moral relativism. Being arrested for developing a video game is not something I would advocate as a just law. I, like some other users, are concerned about moral hypocrisy, especially when it involves throwing every known religion under the bus because of one (or any number of) specific instance of injustice, while ignoring the good that religion provides, like a sense of community or belonging. In other words, I'd rather this thread not be an open invitation for veiled Islamophobia.

Again, I'm not the only person who has expressed discomfort on commenting because they didn't want to come off as hateful. I myself try to learn from those individuals who are attuned to their feelings. Being more of a "thought" person, I'm just putting those feelings to words. That is why my first post was a question: what happens now? Because I'm not trying to judge something I know little of.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Based upon the contributions in this in this thread (particularly when I asked earlier what the potential penalty/charges would be), it would seem that prison or fines are more likely than the extreme; prison was also the sentence assigned to the women who were protesting hijab during fall 2019.

This isn't a question of moral relativism. Being arrested for developing a video game is not something I would advocate as a just law. I, like some other users, are concerned about moral hypocrisy, especially when it involves throwing every known religion under the bus because of one (or any number of) specific instance of injustice, while ignoring the good that religion provides, like a sense of community or belonging. In other words, I'd rather this thread not be an open invitation for veiled Islamophobia.

Again, I'm not the only person who has expressed discomfort on commenting because they didn't want to come off as hateful. I myself try to learn from those individuals who are attuned to their feelings. Being more of a "thought" person, I'm just putting those feelings to words. That is why my first post was a question: what happens now? Because I'm not trying to judge something I know little of.

How does throwing every religion under the bus track with islamophobia? If posters are saying every religion is bad, not specifically islam, how do you make the leap to them being specifically bigoted against islam instead of just being against religion?

Also, "yeah but religion provides some good" is kind of no-true-scotsmaning the issue here. It's like going into a thread about police brutality and going "yeah but cops are good sometimes too". It's very insensitive to the situation at hand.

As a person who has lived under a fundamentalist islamist regime, it doesn't matter if in this case they won't likely apply more extreme penalties. Like I've said in this thread, the cruelty and fear is the point. It's not that they will apply extreme measures, it's that they can. The point is to deter anyone who would dare upset the regime and make an example of anyone who catches their attention. This isn't a legal court. It's a religious court, which means the judge can apply whatever verdict he (not "they", "he", because women can't hold these positions) wants. The point is to be arbitrary and cruel and terrorizing.

eosos

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Any updates to what happened here? Just beat the game and was looking up the studio when I saw this thread. Hoping that they're all alright

RadicalR

Oct 27, 2017
Any updates to what happened here? Just beat the game and was looking up the studio when I saw this thread. Hoping that they're all alright

Looks like the case was dismissed?

techraptor.net

Iran-based Developer Summoned to Court Over Children of Morta

Update: Since the article was originally published 11-Bit Studios has responded to our inquiry with a public statement about the summons.

Edit:

Better source.

Sorry, apparently, the second source is a banned source.