• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Forget the crazy killer coming back from the dead in a doll's body.

When the hell did Orion come back from the dead?

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Ehh...

-Why would someone connect all of their home's smart devices to such a toy? I don't mean that question from the viewer perspective of being aware that Chucky is a killer doll, I mean what utility would a consumer see in that function for a normal product of that kind?
-The kid is indeed much too old to have a doll like that (if anything, it would've been forgotten in a closet years ago by his age).
-Likewise, Aubrey Plaza seems too young to have a kid as old as that one (I'm aware that she's old enough to have one that age, it being believable based on her appearance and past roles is the issue).
-The It/Stranger Things deal with the kids banding together is also meh.

Just another poorly-conceived reboot. Not interested in humoring this even for Mark Hamill.
Forget the crazy killer coming back from the dead in a doll's body.

When the hell did Orion come back from the dead?
About five years ago, apparently.

Last edited:

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Not what it is about this second trailer, but it's a lot more of a turn off compared to the first one. Not sure if it's just the music choices or the editing since I did get a little hyped from the first one.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
I'll see it...I like my horror, but I'm not sure about this. The voodoo possession angle is more interesting to me than yet another 'technology goes crazy' deal. Eh, I suppose it could go down the ghost in the machine route and have a killer's consciousness get into the system or whatever. We'll see. The fact it can connect to a company's system, and potentially to other Buddi dolls leading to a rampage of killer robots a la I, Robot, has the potential to make Chucky seem less special. The original series of films eventually went down that kind of route, but it took 29 years to get there.
I dunno...very mild optimism crossed with a sense of this being a pointless reboot in the face of the original series still being a thing.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I'll see it...I like my horror, but I'm not sure about this. The voodoo possession angle is more interesting to me than yet another 'technology goes crazy' deal. Eh, I suppose it could go down the ghost in the machine route and have a killer's consciousness get into the system or whatever. We'll see. The fact it can connect to a company's system, and potentially to other Buddi dolls leading to a rampage of killer robots a la I, Robot, has the potential to make Chucky seem less special. The original series of films eventually went down that kind of route, but it took 29 years to get there.
I dunno...very mild optimism crossed with a sense of this being a pointless reboot in the face of the original series still being a thing.
The voodoo stuff was dumb as hell and served the basic purpose of explaining how the doll was possessed and gave Chucky some motivation.

I'm afraid this tech angle will take over the remake when all we need is a creepy looking doll butchering people.

I may be ok with all of it if Chucky screams "GIVE ME THE POWER I BEG OF YOU" before hacking into shit.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
The voodoo stuff was dumb as hell and served the basic purpose of explaining how the doll was possessed and gave Chucky some motivation.

I'm afraid this tech angle will take over the remake when all we need is a creepy looking doll butchering people.

I may be ok with all of it if Chucky screams "GIVE ME THE POWER I BEG OF YOU" before hacking into shit.
I'd like them not to reference the originals in that way, I find it really cringey when film makers start winking at the audience so bluntly. Little nods or background details are fine, but wholesale reference just leads to unfavourable comparisons. Like when they redid the scene of Freddy in the wall in the Elm Street remake, it was just really poorly done, worse in every conceivable way.
Freddy-in-the-Wall.jpg

Screen-Shot-2016-12-11-at-6.46.12-PM.png

Ugh.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Child's play wasn't a typical horror movie in it's style. It wasn't so much about shock factor and gore untill the end. This is looking very typical and far from the original movies.

I think it looks really bad

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
I fucking called it in the thread for the first trailer. You can see someone fucking fucking around with a chip and looks like he's putting it into the doll. I guarantee dudes name is gonna be Charles Lee Ray.

And yeah, it sounds like Mark Hamill is doing his best Dourif impression.

Tranqueris

Oct 26, 2017
This trailer is.. not good. How hard is it just to make a movie about an insane doll that comes alive and kills people? This app shit sounds like it was written by some 60 year old writer who started a conversation by saying "you know what would be a good addition to this movie? Apps and smart devices, that's the newest thing right?"

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
This movie can only be good if it ends with Chucky taking control of nukes and bomb the shit of the world.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is going in the forgotten bin with the Nightmare on Elm Street remake and Friday the 13th remake. You know it to be true.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I had no idea this was coming out in like a month. Figured it would be an August or October release. So weird, feels like they filmed it like 3 months ago.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
I'd like them not to reference the originals in that way, I find it really cringey when film makers start winking at the audience so bluntly. Little nods or background details are fine, but wholesale reference just leads to unfavourable comparisons. Like when they redid the scene of Freddy in the wall in the Elm Street remake, it was just really poorly done, worse in every conceivable way.
Freddy-in-the-Wall.jpg

Screen-Shot-2016-12-11-at-6.46.12-PM.png

Ugh.

I laugh everytime I see that. I mean....how? Elm Street barely got made they had so little money...in 1983/4! Decades later with all that technology they shit out THAT.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I am looking forward to it.
Hope this is what the new Halloween was for that franchise.
Anyone know the review embargo? We are 2 days away from release.

neatsaux

Nov 11, 2018
red room
This movie is at a 65% on RT which is far higher than I would've expected. Granted, only like 30 reviews so far, but still.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Saw it last night, it was actually pretty decent. The "tech doll" aspect worked a lot better than I expected - there was a lot of satire about how reliant we are on home hub-type devices and how easily hijackable they are, which I liked. All the cast were actually giving it a solid effort too, and Mark Hamill did a good job as Chucky.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Saw it last night, it was actually pretty decent. The "tech doll" aspect worked a lot better than I expected - there was a lot of satire about how reliant we are on home hub-type devices and how easily hijackable they are, which I liked. All the cast were actually giving it a solid effort too, and Mark Hamill did a good job as Chucky.

Yeah it's definitely better than expected and a lot of fun, even if it still falls short of the best films in the series but at least it's better than Child's Play 3 and Seed of Chucky.