• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Eriol

Oct 27, 2017
Santiago, Chile
Chile students' mass fare-dodging expands into city-wide protest

Thousands of school and university students have joined a mass fare-dodging protest in Chile, flooding into metro stations in the country's capital to vault turnstiles and vandalise equipment amid simmering unrest over the rising cost of living.

The campaign erupted when secondary school students began to jump barriers in groups following a fare rise on 6 October, which put Santiago's metro among the most expensive in Latin America at 830 pesos ($1.17) during the rush hour. Bus prices also climbed as part of the changes...

So this week has been quite rough in Santiago de Chile, a panel of experts decided to raise the cost of the subdway ticket over the weekend, the economy minister when asked for that, just said "just wake up early for better prices" also said "who gets up early God helps"

Have in Mind our minimal wage is 421USD a month, 1/6 of that is just to cover transport to work.

So students started a fare-dodging on the subway, no violence, then the gov decided to puut police on the stations and supress any action, using physical violence and tear gas.

People got more tired and today things have scalated quickly.

IMG_20191018_082541.jpg

IMG_20191018_155857.jpg

IMG_20191018_162654.jpg

Sensitive videos below!!!

So as 8PM here in Chile The President through his cousin the Interior Minister decided to double down, apply martial law, and close the Subway for the next days until further notice. A subway that movilizes 5.5 million people at day, its just insane.
I trully dont know how this will end.

Javier

Oct 27, 2017
Chile

"If there's no bread for the poor, there'll be no peace for the rich."

Fucking piñera, the absolute failure of the Chilean right wing and the fucking american economic model.

Thwomp

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
That video where the girl was shot in the leg made me feel sick.

I'm playing Fortnite with my cousins that live in downtown Santiago and I can hear police/ambulance sirens over the mic constantly, it sounds bad over there..

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
it'll keep happening. poor folks are steadily being priced out of public transit all over the world.

Robaperas

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
TV news are framing this as just senseless violence, focusing on the destruction of buses or metro stations, without talking about the root of it all, the income inequality, lack of access to a decent healthcare, low pensions and increasing cost of living. I'm listening to a journalist talking about how pretty the metro station was, like, understanding absolutely nothing.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Wow that's crazy. Sounds like the current govt doesn't give a shit though. :/

they don't.

They're, essentially, playing the waiting game: they'll do their usual song and dance (send the police to repress) until enough non-protesters get bored/pissed off and turn on the protesters. Then they'll do a minor, mostly token gesture, and hope and pray the protests die off.

Man I fucking hate our current govt'.

EDIT: You know how we know they don't give a fuck? Literally taken an hour ago or so. Our president casually dining in an upper-class restaurant while city-wide protests rage on. (yes, the photo was taken today, it's not fake news)

EHM1MBlWsAEnHkf

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
Chile is a country with almost a cost of living of a 1st world country and wages of a 3rd world country, the inequality is insane and the political class is insufferable.

There's a perpetual state of anger and dissatisfaction, this social explotion was bound to happen.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
if i remember right the president is a right winger fucker that likes bolsonaro, is that right?

yes.

He likes to paint himself (and the gov't) as "centre-right" but has defended Bolsonaro and currently employs people who publicly defend Pinochet's dictatorship. So much for "center" right, they're just full right-wing.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
For you, english speakers, who want to understand WTF is going on, here's a handy Twitter thread for you (icluding videos... which may be a bit graphic, so YOU'RE WARNED.)

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Por fin Chile está despertando. Me sale una lagrimita.

LET'S FUCKING GO, CONCHETUMAREEEE

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017

"If there's no bread for the poor, there'll be no peace for the rich."

Fucking piñera, the absolute failure of the Chilean right wing and the fucking american economic model.

Neo-liberalism is the cancer that is about to meet its chemotherapy. Chileans are finally waking up.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
they don't.

They're, essentially, playing the waiting game: they'll do their usual song and dance (send the police to repress) until enough non-protesters get bored/pissed off and turn on the protesters. Then they'll do a minor, mostly token gesture, and hope and pray the protests die off.

Man I fucking hate our current govt'.

EDIT: You know how we know they don't give a fuck? Literally taken an hour ago or so. Our president casually dining in an upper-class restaurant while city-wide protests rage on. (yes, the photo was taken today, it's not fake news)

EHM1MBlWsAEnHkf

What a piece of shit. This is our president! While Santiago is on fire the guy eats pizza with the high class fuckers!

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
My current fear is that this administration finally ends up unleashing the military upon the streets. No doubt the more fascistic elements of the current gov't (and other right-wing politicians) will be itching do so, and play out their military fetish.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes, you need just a little spark to ignite a revolution

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
My current fear is that this administration finally ends up unleashing the military upon the streets. No doubt the more fascistic elements of the current gov't (and other right-wing politicians) will be itching do so, and play out their military fetish.
Hehe... Guess who proprosed to send the military to the streets? I'll give you a hint, he has Nazi blood running through his veins.

Robaperas

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
The former paco Desbordes was asking for strong action, so that's one example. It would've been cheaper to just rollback the fare rise, but they're so used to hear us complain and end up doing nothing, that this demonstration caught them by surprise. It´s really good to see the younger generation being so much braver than mine.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hehe... Guess who proprosed to send the military to the streets? I'll give you a hint, he has Nazi blood running through his veins.

That putrid hag Teresa Marinovic was tweeting in favor of that shit from the beginning. But of course KKKast would say it.

Fuck them all, the right-wing of this country is the worst scum.

Lmao at Matias del Rio almost crying on tvn for material shit, funny he's so passionate for that and not for those who suffer by the government's shitty policies.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
For a country like Chile, this riot is HUGE, people said "enough is enough" and the government did everything in their power to anger the citizens more leading to this situation

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
The gobernment repeated every mistake of the last years with this protest, from the "people should wake up earlier", to realeasing hundreds of cops to the subway stations, refusing to negotiate, and using the police against the people.

Yes, it has been extremely violent, but they were trying to control the fire with fuel.

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Seriously, the governemnt Marie Antoniette'd the shit out of this country saying dumb shit on this year like

"the cost of living is increasing, but flowers are cheaper!"
"If you guys wake up earlier, you will get cheaper fares"
"People love waiting on the hospital because is a social event" (A legit answer after people were complaining about the long waits that people must do on public hospitals)
"All you who are complaining are just "patipeleados (barefoot)

And lots of dumber things that I'm forgetting right now because it seems like the gave an stupid justification each week

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well, President Piñera appeared on TV declaring state of emergency and is going to send the military to the streets. Since the Pinochet days this has never happened.

Again, this would have never happened if our government has a little bit of decency and wasn't formed from people who admires Pinochet

Last edited:

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Of course he would, and the press is having such a boner for it. Journalism is trash on this country.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Stay safe, compatriotas. Don't try to be brave in the face of sociopaths who are trained to shoot first and ask questions later.

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Gotta admit, when this whole thing started on the week, I never thought that it would escalate to this level

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Ohhh, the right finally showing its fashy colors.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Fucking hell! That'd be a nightmarish scenario here in Lima, should that happen. I remember when they tried to raise the fare for the Metropolitano, people complained and they rolled back the raise.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Fucking hell! That'd be a nightmarish scenario here in Lima, should that happen. I remember when they tried to raise the fare for the Metropolitano, people complained and they rolled back the raise.

that would've been the sensible approach here.

But our gov't is going full "when keepin' it real goes WRONG" right now.

Fuckers.