ChileERA | OT | - ERAmos tan weones...

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, for the fuck up of a concert they had in La Florida last weekend, the producer said they weren’t going to refund the tickets, and people are already putting complaints in Sernac, which they’ll probably win. Or at least settle if they don’t want to get in trouble.
I don’t think they guys behind Lola would risk that kind of bad reputation.

Oct 25, 2017
I may be wrong here but everything ive ever heard about Sernac has been pretty positive. It puts a little bit of fear in businesses to play by the rules. We do not have a Sernac equivalent in Canada that I know of. Threaten to file a complaint with Sernac and you usually get someone to respond. I once made a very faint mention of Sernac when arguing a overcharge with Movistar and the lady immediately called over her supervisor to solve the issue lol.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Sernac works well within the powers they have. A little while ago, there was a legislation sent to increase the reaches of Sernac, but it was declared against the constitution.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I may be wrong here but everything ive ever heard about Sernac has been pretty positive. It puts a little bit of fear in businesses to play by the rules. We do not have a Sernac equivalent in Canada that I know of. Threaten to file a complaint with Sernac and you usually get someone to respond. I once made a very faint mention of Sernac when arguing a overcharge with Movistar and the lady immediately called over her supervisor to solve the issue lol.
Pro-tip: More than Sernac, Telcos fear the subtel, because they have the faculties to fine the companies.
Put a complaint with subtel and your provider will suddenly answer whatever complaint you have and probably throw a discount to boot. It's nice whenever Movistar starts having problems, I just complain and I get a discount in my tripack for some months.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Pro-tip: More than Sernac, Telcos fear the subtel, because they have the faculties to fine the companies.
Put a complaint with subtel and your provider will suddenly answer whatever complaint you have and probably throw a discount to boot. It's nice whenever Movistar starts having problems, I just complain and I get a discount in my tripack for some months.
Didn't know that, thanks for the tip

Oct 25, 2017
Nice to know. Do we have anything like in gringolandia with the telecom companies and threatening to leave to get some discounts? Every 1-2 years i used to call for my mom our cable/internet provider and say i found a cheaper plan with a competitor and they would transfer me to the "retentions" department and give me some pretty good discounts. Like a $25.000 internet plan could be dropped to $15.000 easily. Not sure if you can do that here but im cheap enough to try hah.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Nice to know. Do we have anything like in gringolandia with the telecom companies and threatening to leave to get some discounts? Every 1-2 years i used to call for my mom our cable/internet provider and say i found a cheaper plan with a competitor and they would transfer me to the "retentions" department and give me some pretty good discounts. Like a $25.000 internet plan could be dropped to $15.000 easily. Not sure if you can do that here but im cheap enough to try hah.
I’ve heard it’s possible. When I updated my Movistar tripack, the guy that was doing the paperwork actually encouraged me to call every now for that.
At least, you don’t lose anything by trying!

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
Santiago
Would it be a good idea to buy a car? The uncertainty of whatever is going to happen in March/April in Santiago is sort of killing me at the moment. I know people will once again attack the Metro stations and that may cause the public transport system to collapse once again.

I have always avoided buying a car because I think Santiago's got too many cars (and people) already, but given the current situation, I don't think it would be that much of a bad idea now.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I think you should make the calculations for all the extra expenses related to a car - parking, tag, average fuel consumption every month plus an extra if you deviate from the usual route, insurance (optional but heavily recommended) plus annual expenses: patentes, soap, and revisión técnica.

Obviously it’s a more expensive alternative than public transport, but only you can determine if the extra expenses for your budget and if you’re willing to shoulder them.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
Santiago
I think you should make the calculations for all the extra expenses related to a car - parking, tag, average fuel consumption every month plus an extra if you deviate from the usual route, insurance (optional but heavily recommended) plus annual expenses: patentes, soap, and revisión técnica.

Obviously it’s a more expensive alternative than public transport, but only you can determine if the extra expenses for your budget and if you’re willing to shoulder them.
I hadn't thought about all this to be honest. In my mind, it was only fuel! Thank you so much!

I'm still processing the whole idea. Right now, it's just a 35 mins walk+subway commute the moment I leave my house until I'm in my office, but it's all thanks to Metro to be completely fair. I'm mostly concerned about what might happen to my dad coming March, as he spent roughly 1.5-2 hours trying to get to his workplace in October last year and I'm completely sure the same situation will repeat once again due to people attacking the public transportation system. My idea is to drive him to and pick him up from his workplace to try to avoid any kind of danger and excessive commute time.

Thank you once again!

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I hadn't thought about all this to be honest. In my mind, it was only fuel! Thank you so much!

I'm still processing the whole idea. Right now, it's just a 35 mins walk+subway commute the moment I leave my house until I'm in my office, but it's all thanks to Metro to be completely fair. I'm mostly concerned about what might happen to my dad coming March, as he spent roughly 1.5-2 hours trying to get to his workplace in October last year and I'm completely sure the same situation will repeat once again due to people attacking the public transportation system. My idea is to drive him to and pick him up from his workplace to try to avoid any kind of danger and excessive commute time.

Thank you once again!
No problem! It’s easy to think a car just needs fuel, which makes you jump in without caring for the other stuff - which becomes a problem if the budget doesn’t allow it.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
Santiago
Have you noticed people are unnecessarily aggresive on social media lately? You can't open a single comments section on news posts on Facebook without finding people throwing shit at each other just because. Hell, when this girl who was stranded in China was finally heading back to Chile, I read comments which ranged from "forbidding her entry to the country" to "let's burn her place down".

Were we always this fucked up?

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Have you noticed people are unnecessarily aggresive on social media lately? You can't open a single comments section on news posts on Facebook without finding people throwing shit at each other just because. Hell, when this girl who was stranded in China was finally heading back to Chile, I read comments which ranged from "forbidding her entry to the country" to "let's burn her place down".

Were we always this fucked up?
We've become a far more polarized country than in the beginning of the last decade, that's for sure. I don't remember this level of aggresiveness, but maybe being anonymous on social media gives ton of people the excuse to be as rude and aggresive to the rest as they want without facing consequences.

It's lead me to basically not check twitter or comment sections, specially lately since everything is reduced to politics. It borders on disgusting.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
I'm kinda used to It, I am one of those freaks that enjoys arguing with strangers. I know when to stop though, there Is always that moment when it's Just better to stop answering