• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Basslover

Jan 28, 2018
Saludos ChilERA, Dominicano pero viviendo en Santiago por 2ish años, glad to have found this thread, I think it existed on the old forum but I don't think I ever joined

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
So, tomorrow is the 8th anniversary of 27F. Time sure does go fast... I was still in high school when it happened and now I'm looking for a job.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Lol I was in cuarto medio, my liceo was closed due to infrastructural damage. We had to go to another place the muni set up for us. That school year started mid april lol

Robaperas

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
I started working at a Sodimac that week, and had to go the next day and help clean up the mess, the paint isle looked like a Pollock painting.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Hahaha, what a way to start a new job.

Let's make this the "what were you doing during 27F?" day

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I was days away from going back to school, but it suffered minor damage so it was pushed back like a week. In my house, we didn't have much problems, the annoying thing is that the generator from the Líder that is near us was functioning for like three days straight. It was a hellish sound. We got electricity a day after the quake.

criesofthepast

Crash Test Dummy
Oct 25, 2017
I was browsing twitter about to head to bed and saw a tweet by a seismic monitoring account. It was maybe a few minutes after the earthquake struck that I found out.

I immediately called my then friend and future girlfriend (now ex girlfriend but the reason for me ever coming to Chile) to see if she was okay. Was hours of trying to get a hold of her.

I celebrate my 4 year anniversary of arriving in Chile in one month from now, but have been "connected" to Chile for 10 years because of that ex-girlfriend. When I arrived here in my heart I was already a chileno. And I already knew all the swear words day 1 so that was a big help. lol

criesofthepast

Crash Test Dummy
Oct 25, 2017
Went to the extranjeria in santiago this morning with my girlfriend (venezuelan).

I have never seen something like that. Just the difference from a month ago when we passed by there is insane. We arrived at 630am a full two hours before it opened and the END of the line was at the entrance of the extranjeria. So we had to wait in a line 4 blocks long and do a full square basically. Thousands of people. People fighting and trying to cut in line. Completely chaotic and the security does jack shit. The people at the front of the line slept there. It was a sad sight to see. Garbage and piss everywhere.

I remember i 2014 how I would walk in and out of the extranjeria in 30 minutes max. We left today at 1pm. I thought we wouldn't get in today but I guess to some credit they are moving people in and out relatively fast.

I feel bad for the local businesses that have their entrances completely blocked from foot traffic by the lineups outside their doors.

Every extranjeria around the country has completely collapsed.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
People are calling it "invasion". Chilean govt certainly doesn't know how to handle this, and right-wing people will end up taking over this

criesofthepast

Crash Test Dummy
Oct 25, 2017
What do you guys think of the nueva ley de migración? As an extranjero with a foreign girlfriend this affects me (not as much as her) but I feel like things can not continue as they have and the government is giving some very reasonable opportunites and timeframes here for those in the country to get their shit done and fixed and be law abiding citizens. The new policies put chile in line with many developed countries.

One thing I see they haven't addressed is still being able to enter on a tourist visa and cross the border every 90 days into Peru or Argentina and return to Chile immediately for a fresh 90 days. I took advantage of that once when I first came here and literally spent an hour in mendoza before returning to chile with a new tourist visa. I have heard of people living and working illegally here for a decade on tourist visas just going away for a weekend trip to mendoza every 3 months.

Anyways, some big changes but from what I have read they all seem very reasonable and probably a little bit too late to be honest. Chiles migration law was badly outdated and needed to be changed a decade ago.

I should have been getting my chilean nacionality next year if it wasn't for my time leaving to visit family in Canada over the years. Hope I can still get that chilean passport someday.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I think it's a shitty solution, it's a populist solution. It's focus is Haitians and Venezuelans, limiting the tourist visa of haitians to 30 days when the legality for everyone is 90? That's fucking racist. Venezuelans now have the right to a "Democratic" Visa, because how terrible the political situation of the country is, as if Haiti was a paradise. The difference is just the perspective of Venezuela as a political enemy, and how upset the racists are with Haitians in their neighborhood. This when Haiti is just the 6th country in immigration.

They gave a timeframe, but just how do you expect the authorities to contain this? They were already collapsed, imagine now. People slept the whole night outside extranjeria in panic. Worse, if someone hasn't been able to regulate it's papers, it's opportunity to get the working visa is done. This policy doesn't treat victims of traffic as victims, they are just "ilegals".

If Authorities haven't done anything by the time, I don't expect them to be better now to stop the trafficking and protect the victims. It's shit.

I agree that the situation should be better done to better integrate immigrants, but this? I didn't expect better from Piñera anyway.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
It's complicated. On one hand, I can see how some would say that the new law has no focus on human rights, since it singles out both Venezuelans and Haitians, and the timeframe is tight.

On the other hand, it is also valid to say that Haitian inmigration has exploded in the last few years, in a number that nobody expected. While I get Haiti is no paradise, Chile sure as hell isn't either, and we can't received so many people as it is. The public system just can't keep up, and they need to control that. I get they aren't happy with it, but I don't see the problem with a Visa. When we have to travel somewhere, we still have to check if we need a visa and make the necessary arrangements. I did have to get one when I went to study in the US, and it didn't allow me anything else but study. Getting work in those conditions was nigh impossible.

There is never going to be a solution that makes everyone happy. I personally feel this is a good first step, and for the delicate case of Haiti... we can't deny that most that came on a tourist visa came over to migrate permanently. Not having a clear control over that was causing a ton of issues, and it also makes people here react far more negatively. Let's hope this manages to make the flow (which won't stop) more organized.

And yeah, the migration law is waaaay too outdated.

Bonus track - A question that shouldn't be missing here! Did you feel the little tremor yesterday?

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
But that's the thing, most of them DID came with a Visa. Legislation allows you to come with a Tourist visa and then apply for a working one, which of course opened for issues, but that's on us, not immigrants. LAW had issues in other countries: we didn't care. Authorities haven't done anything for protecting victims of trafficking, the new legislation doesn't either, etc.

Legislation needed to change, for everyone, but imposing extra restrictions on Haitians is just racism and populism.

Ostinatto

Oct 30, 2017
Guys , i need to get some glasses , i have astigmatism, How did you guys choose the right glasses size for your heads?

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Guys , i need to get some glasses , i have astigmatism, How did you guys choose the right glasses size for your heads?

Unete al club del astigmatismo xD

Yo los elegí de acuerdo al uso que les doy y al estilo que mas se acomodara a la forma de mi cara. En la semana uso lentes de contacto, para no tener problemas y que no se me queden, y los opticos los tengo para el fin de semana/ cuando no puedo ocupar los de contacto por alguna razon.

Asi que elegi unos marcos rectangulares, que no son tan grandes, porque el principal uso es para ver televisión/computador/jugar videojuegos en mi casa. Se me deslizan un poco, pero no me hago problemas con estar arreglandolos a cada rato y los siento más comodos.
Si los vas a usar todo el día, quiza quieras unos marcos un poco más amplios. Si solo va a ser para el PC, quizas unos más pequeños tambien te puedan servir.

Ostinatto

Oct 30, 2017
Me refiero a elegir el tamaño correcto para mi cara y cabeza, como en el video,

Donde encuentro esto en Stgo? fui a GMO y no hacen esto

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Creo que ninguna óptica lo hace. Al menos la Rotter y Krauss no lo hace, tendrías que probar en la Place Vendome.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Any opinions about the feminism protests around santiago? I think it's cool that young people are again fighting for equality.

criesofthepast

Crash Test Dummy
Oct 25, 2017
Any opinions about the feminism protests around santiago? I think it's cool that young people are again fighting for equality.
Cool and all but when they take over schools and shit and stop others from going inside and taking tests and uhh learning after paying millions of fucking pesos a year I am not down with that. Not the way to do it.

This thread is dead and I replied to a 2 week old post lol

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Cool and all but when they take over schools and shit and stop others from going inside and taking tests and uhh learning after paying millions of fucking pesos a year I am not down with that. Not the way to do it.

This thread is dead and I replied to a 2 week old post lol

Well, thanks to the students that did the strikes from years ago i'm able to go to uni without getting forever indebted to a bank so yeah. A couple of days without class is nothing to what students can achieve.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Yeah, we barely comment anything here. Was the thread as dead in the old place?

From time to time, yes it was. There are only a bunch of us here

Well, thanks to the students that did the strikes from years ago i'm able to go to uni without getting forever indebted to a bank so yeah. A couple of days without class is nothing to what students can achieve.

Yup, strikes and tomas are drastic, but sometimes it isnt even enough to achieve social goals. The population is way too fed on media, and oligarchs dont care, so people need to press as much as they can.

Feminist movement are great. As a male I dont always understand, but thats the point, and I appreciate the lecture.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Naaa, no hay relación comprobada de que los sismos se conecten de esa forma. A pesar de todo lo que Salfate y el brasileño digan.

Don't believe their lies

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Siempre importar weas de amazon o algo asi sale tan caro? Quiero traer unos libros pero el precio se va a la chucha.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Si lo traes por casilla, o directo por amazon sale caro por el tema de los impuestos de internación y el IVA. Aduanas te cobra, más o menos, el 30% del precio CIF (precio del producto + costo de despacho), más lo que te cobra el courier si lo traes directamente via Amazon o lo que te cobre la casilla.

Si son libros, prueba con The Book Depository. Tienen buenos precios y despacho gratis. El problema es que con lo lento que está Correos de Chile en entregar paquetes, te pueden llegar en 3-6 meses más.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I rather have any southamerican (or Mexico) country to win. I only don't care for Argentina and Brasil since they're not underdogs.

I honestly wanted Peru to win, and still hope it moves forward in the Cup.

Any country that fought a better fight than Chile to get there has my support, los cabros se pusieron muy arrogantes.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Fucking Nicolas Lopez. Not only he is fucking egotistic, an awful director and shitty creator.

I hope all his movies burn after this. Just flush the toilet.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
A true legend. The guy took so well the whole thing of his video, allowed us to laugh with him about the absurdity of the interview

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone has the Skyrim artbook? I've been trying to find it everywhere but can't. If anyone has gaming artbooks or knows about people that sell them i'd be happy to know! In Chile, ofc.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
My boss was on the list, he already blocked everything.

It seems the leak came from Correos de Chile, more specifically, la Casilla Miami. Keep an eye on this if you ever used it.

Correos de Chile, screwing up since times inmemorial.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I am going on a trip to South America over the Christmas holidays. I'll likely end up in Santiago as the last portion of my trip. We'll be in the city for New Years and probably for a total of 4 days. Do y'all have any recommendations for interesting things to do as tourists? We're American but speak a bit of Spanish so we can get by. Any recommendations on the best area to be staying in?

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
For New Year? any beach area is good, Viña del Mar/Valparaíso is probably the best though.

I can recommend Concepción too, beautiful city with lots of cool places near the city

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
It seems that the Digital Tax, or better known as the Impuesto Proteccionista de un gobierno de derecha, will be affecting any form of digital entertainment. Also videogames, digital magazines, etc.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile