• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Getting screwed in the market thanks to this dumbass.

You know what, fuck it. I hope he settles with China and the deal is even more favorable to China than it was before. Any settlement of tariffs will help my stock positions and such a settlement will just make him look even more pathetic for the Dems to finally take over this shitshow of a mess.

teague

Dec 17, 2018
Why do I get this idea that there is this subset of Americans that believe that we can just become China and build everything in America for the same cost, but don't understand that if we do that they will be the ones working in the factories with the suicide nets.

I know right

I love when people complain about how expensive tech stuff is and then also complain about making products overseas. Or the classic "Why are Levi's so expensive" "I wish more jeans were made in America"

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
yeah, i am stacking up cash to go on a shopping spree soon
I've been thinking about doing the same. I was getting ready to make a big payment to my student loans this month because I put money into my retirement account every time I get paid. Thinking maybe forgo that big payment to student loans and make extra progress on my contribution limit instead

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Me right now, ready to invest more in Index Stocks:

tenor.gif
This seems like a prime opportunity. I'm glad that I held off putting too much money in this year so far (for unrelated reasons -- but hey, don't look a gift horse in the mouth).

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Because people will invest when stocks get cheap enough. I wouldn't even be surprised if the stocks ended positive today

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
This is a war he cannot win, we import far more from China than they do from us, and they can get almost everything they import from us elsewhere.

As a US company owner, no we can not buy American, no one makes or can match the prices we pay from China. We are being taxed now 25% on all our shipments of products just because of a stupid feud. And whats the point of saying to go buy from another country that's not China, we are still not buying American then. What a fucking idiot.

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Market is down because they priced in resolution on Friday that got reversed over the weekend.

He essentially called China's bluff.

I have a feeling that many of you don't actually follow this trade stuff, but essentially both sides were getting close to a deal when mid-last week China killed off everything they agreed to. They did this because they believed that Trump would cave at the last minute.

The biggest issue was that China has previously agreed to sign into law a requirement to respect foreign IP and not require assigning all IP to China when you do business there. Last week China explicitly struck all of that language from the agreement (ie. we can go back to legal stealing of IP) as well as a number of other items that were the hot buttons on the US side.

Not sure what everyone here wants to see? China continue to block foreign investment and steal everyone elses IP?

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
I am so glad that we have the infrastructure to be able to manufacture on the same level as China of all the things that they make over there....oh wait, we don't....

WTF Trump. Did he even think about how we don't even have the level of infrastructure to handle all of the tariffs that he has put up. If China decides to tell the US "Go fuck yourself" and just completely stop manufacturing everything that is being imported from China on that list, we would be fucked. (can you imagine something that cost .99 now could be $10 after being manufacturing in the USA...unless he wants us to go into borderline slavery in our manufacture sector of business)This is not the time to do that sort of crap.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
This seems like a prime opportunity. I'm glad that I held off putting too much money in this year so far (for unrelated reasons -- but hey, don't look a gift horse in the mouth).

I held off a bit too building a large cash reserve, but couldn't hold off on Beyond Meat's IPO.

It's quite literally one of the few safe havens today despite being a rollercoaster last week.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Market is down because they priced in resolution on Friday that got reversed over the weekend.

I have a feeling that many of you don't actually follow this trade stuff, but essentially both sides were getting close to a deal when mid-last week China killed off everything they agreed to. They did this because they believed that Trump would cave at the last minute.

The biggest issue was that China has previously agreed to sign into law a requirement to respect foreign IP and not require assigning all IP to China when you do business there. Last week China explicitly struck all of that language from the agreement (ie. we can go back to legal stealing of IP) as well as a number of other items that were the hot buttons on the US side.

Not sure what everyone here wants to see? China continue to block foreign investment and steal everyone elses IP?
Do we know for sure that's what happened? Or is that what the Trump admin is saying happened? The last I heard about that IP regulation was the deal supposedly punted enforcement for years, which could make it seem not as tough on China as Trump has claimed.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
They reneged here to try and bait Trump into caving or they just have no plans to actually enact something like that?

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas

So they did what this administration loves to do themselves?

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I am so glad that we have the infrastructure to be able to manufacture on the same level as China of all the things that they make over there....oh wait, we don't....

WTF Trump. Did he even think about how we don't even have the level of infrastructure to handle all of the tariffs that he has put up. If China decides to tell the US "Go fuck yourself" and just completely stop manufacturing everything that is being imported from China on that list, we would be fucked. (can you imagine something that cost .99 now could be $10 after being manufacturing in the USA...unless he wants us to go into borderline slavery in our manufacture sector of business)This is not the time to do that sort of crap.

I've been told many times "get it made in America". No it doesn't work that way because America is not setup that way. The reason why China works for so many products is the specialized manufacturing everywhere. You want something made that lights up? You want a plastic toy? You want such and such, there is tons of factories that will gladly make whatever you ask them to as long as you pay. In America, literally this doesn't exist, you either have to create your own factory for the sole purpose of producing that good, or find someone willing to make it for you, which is rare. Only a small amount of factories produce for third parties, as most factories are tied to deals with specific companies or only specialize in making a small set group of products. Most US factories will turn you away if you ask for them to make something for them, and even if you find those willing to work with smaller companies, they charge a ridiculous amount for the product. This is why so many products are made overseas which have so many options for manufacturing.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Stocks are down as expected. Trade wars are easy to win huh? Would not be surprised if China levy heavier tariffs on more US products.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks for the information. Trying to find out and understand more so I've been trying to read from a couple of different places. I don't follow this that much or know that much about it. I only heard about China backing out and that trade war was mentioned a lot on the site where I keep track of what I'm invested in.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018

Trade wars and tariffs are the answer?

Mar 18, 2019
As neither an American or a Chinese, I wouldn't mind both America and China destroying each other with these tariffs. Both Donald Trump and Xi Jinping are downright scumbags.

But out of the two, Xi Jinping is the bigger scumbag. The CCP has incarcerated over a million Uyghur Muslims into concentration camps, where families are being separated, and people are being abused, beaten, tortured, and killed, and women are being forced to marry Han Chinese men (i.e. state-sanctioned rape). One of the biggest ethnic cleansing campaigns in recent times is happening right under our noses, and most of the world is ignoring it, just because they want to do business with China.

Last edited:

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the stock market is bouncing back today like it has the other drops. But this is the pull back the market needed so I'm going to start nibbling. 2800 is a huge level for the sp500. Goes below that might be time to test 2650.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
The biggest bunch of bullshit with this trade war, once some deals are made and tarrifs removed, companies aren't going to lower prices from hiking them up to pay for tarrifs. We'll probably be paying for this trade war for a long time.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
As neither an American or a Chinese, I wouldn't mind both America and China destroying each other with these tariffs. Both Donald Trump and Xi Jinping are downright scumbags.

But out of the two, Xi Jinping is the bigger scumbag. The CCP has incarcerated over a million Uyghur Muslims into concentration camps, where families are being separated, and people are being abused, beaten, tortured, and killed, and women are being forced to marry Han Chinese men (i.e. state-sanctioned rape). One of the biggest ethnic cleansing campaigns in recent times is happening right under our noses, and most of the world is ignoring it, just because they want to do business with China.

While most of us are Americans, most of us don't support Trump as President. He's just #45 to us.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The dumbass totally forgot he sold his trade positions on helping US workers. No Americans care if goods formerly made in the US are made in Vietnam instead of China.

You would be wrong. Anything that hurts China is good for the US. Jobs leaving for Vietnam hurts China.

Is there a comprehensive list of goods being hit with tarrifs somewhere?

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They were shitting on Trump this morning on Fox News for this, even. Trying to direct him to adjust this policy via Fox News is their power.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017

Why would they trust TRump? Trump lost all legitimacy when he left the Iran deal.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
But I did expect price increase to feature in the news cycle from existing quotas and tariffs, not just the new ones. That hasn't really happened much I don't think.

Yeah, not really. NPR's Marketplace has done stories of the impact the US/China tariffs have had on the steel industry and soybean market, but I haven't seen to many waves in the mainstream news. I think part of the problem is a lot of these tariffs are affecting components and raw materials that get mixed into finished products. It is tougher to report on the effects in a short 30-second piece.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
User Warned: Inappropriate Language

As a company owner who is being raped by these tariffs and now on the verge of having to shut down if this doesn't resolve itself, FUCK TRUMP and his bullshit trade war. So far this year we've been penalized with tariffs of over 20k and with the new round of tariffs we are going to soon being paying another 30k in penalties just because of the orange cheeto's BS.

He's not doing us any favors, he's roasting American tax payers over his little fight over nonsense that's been the norm for years. He's using our businesses as leverage in trying to enforce policy acting like hes doing something good for the US. No you are going to put American workers out of jobs.

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do we know for sure that's what happened? Or is that what the Trump admin is saying happened? The last I heard about that IP regulation was the deal supposedly punted enforcement for years, which could make it seem not as tough on China as Trump has claimed.

Latest I saw, the US was requiring China put the agreed upon trade agreement including protections etc. actually into law (rather than the agreements that have historically happened which China just completely ignores). According to the info that snuck out last week, the Chinese delegation felt that with Trump harping on the Fed to cut rates that the US economy was much weaker than its data appeared. As such, they pulled back on everything they didn't want to give without a fight in the hopes that Trump would cave and sign.

The US wanted specific commitments to change laws for protecting IP and barring forced transfer of US technology. From what I understand, those sections were agreed upon and then completely nixed in the draft last week. Based on my read of the below, China doesn't want to consent to protecting IP or barring transfers because they are worried about how it would make them look.

From the Chinese press,
In a wide-ranging interview with Chinese media after talks in Washington ended Friday, Vice Premier Liu He said that in order to reach an agreement the U.S. must remove all extra tariffs, set targets for Chinese purchases of goods in line with real demand and ensure that the text of the deal is "balanced" to ensure the "dignity" of both nations.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
He's ... so fucking dumb.

I still don't think that anyone has managed to explain to him that US companies are paying these import tariffs, and not China.

voidecker

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm maybe I should start looking into this lol. Never invested before.
Take most financial advice people give you with a grain of salt, even my own. I only recently started investing on my own this year, whereas before I was relying on Actively Managed Funds (thankfully, I wasn't putting in too much money, and pulled it all out as soon as I realized I was throwing money away).

This Last Week Tonight piece is a good starting point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvZSpET11ZY

If you're interested after watching the John Oliver piece, give this a read on how to invest (includes chapters on how to invest in Canada, US, UK and Singapore. There might be one or two other countries I'm forgetting):

https://www.amazon.com/Millionaire-Teacher-Wealth-Should-Learned/dp/1119356296/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Latest I saw, the US was requiring China put the agreed upon trade agreement including protections etc. actually into law (rather than the agreements that have historically happened which China just completely ignores). According to the info that snuck out last week, the Chinese delegation felt that with Trump harping on the Fed to cut rates that the US economy was much weaker than its data appeared. As such, they pulled back on everything they didn't want to give without a fight in the hopes that Trump would cave and sign.

The US wanted specific commitments to change laws for protecting IP and barring forced transfer of US technology. From what I understand, those sections were agreed upon and then completely nixed in the draft last week. Based on my read of the below, China doesn't want to consent to protecting IP or barring transfers because they are worried about how it would make them look.

From the Chinese press,
In a wide-ranging interview with Chinese media after talks in Washington ended Friday, Vice Premier Liu He said that in order to reach an agreement the U.S. must remove all extra tariffs, set targets for Chinese purchases of goods in line with real demand and ensure that the text of the deal is "balanced" to ensure the "dignity" of both nations.

Good summary, thanks.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
You would be wrong. Anything that hurts China is good for the US. Jobs leaving for Vietnam hurts China.

Is there a comprehensive list of goods being hit with tarrifs somewhere?

no, thats patently false. It helps large businesses in the US crowd out smaller ones because they are able to 1) absorb the impact of tariffs in the short term and 2) migrate supply to other parts of the world away from tariffs while smaller business must pass along the full cost increase and lacks the ability to push ahead with manufacturing somewhere else due to the bigger guys buying up factory capacity elsewhere. This also doesn't take into consideration farmers that are losing money, taxpayers that funding farmers that are losing money and a general slow down in the economy.

I'm not even that against tariffs against China... but you know what would have been a better idea before going down this path? Having the US participate in trying to normalize trade, bring some more worker protections and place trade pressure on China by creating these deals with countries around Asia to deal with the West and away from China. Maybe these countries across the pacific, dare i say... Trans-Pacific... could have created some kind of, i don't know, partnership to accomplish these things that the US could have been involved in.

Just crazy talk though.

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs

I would hope the respect of foreign IP going into affect in China wouldn't happen on Trump's watch, but, regardless of that it needs to happen.