• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017

The official government guidelines will be applied to all online gaming platforms operating in the country, mostly notably Tencent, the world's biggest gaming company. Under the new rules, gamers aged under 18 will be banned from playing online games between 10 p.m. and 8 a.m. On weekdays, minors can only play for 90 minutes, while they may play up to three hours per day on weekends and public holidays.

The guidelines also place restrictions on the amount of money minors can transfer to their online gaming accounts. Gamers aged between eight and 16 years old can only top up 200 yuan ($29) per month, while the maximum amount for those between 16 and 18 will be 400 yuan ($57).
Speaking to the state-run Xinhua News Agency, a spokesman for the administration said the new rules were aimed at creating a "clear internet space" and "protecting the physical and mental health of minors."

"(This notice) has emphasized on the responsibility of the corporations, and has executed the government's duty to supervise the problem," the spokesman said.
The administration is also working with police to set up a real-name registration system, and to enable gaming companies to check the identity of their users against the national database, he added.

The new guidelines are China's latest move in an ongoing campaign to increase regulation of the gaming industry. In August 2018, Beijing announced plans to limit the number of new online games to "reduce nearsightedness in children and adolescents." It also criticized a popular mobile game, "Honor of Kings", for allegedly causing addiction in young people in 2017.

China's new directives implicate adult gamers too. A state spokesperson says that everyone, regardless of age, is prohibited from playing games that depict "sexual explicitness, goriness, violence and gambling."

Chinese officials will also require everyone to register accounts for online games using their real name and phone number, which will help government entities to regulate playing time.

"The State Administration of Press and Publication is working with the Ministry of Public Security to lead the building of a unified identification system, which would provide user identification services to video game companies, so that they can accurately verify the identity of minors," a government statement said. "We are also going to gradually perfect and enrich the functions of the identification system, to achieve gaming time data sharing across platforms, so we could know and therefore restrict the total time every minor spends on gaming across platforms."

It is not clear how offline single-player games factor into the new guidelines.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
China's new directives implicate adult gamers too. A state spokesperson says that everyone, regardless of age, is prohibited from playing games that depict "sexual explicitness, goriness, violence and gambling."

🙄

thats like all games

Sage

Oct 27, 2017
Japan
gamers aged under 18 will be banned from playing online games between 10 p.m. and 8 a.m. On weekdays, minors can only play for 90 minutes, while they may play up to three hours per day on weekends and public holidays.

The guidelines also place restrictions on the amount of money minors can transfer to their online gaming accounts. Gamers aged between eight and 16 years old can only top up 200 yuan ($29) per month, while the maximum amount for those between 16 and 18 will be 400 yuan ($57).
To be honest, if you up the daily limit to 2-3 hours and remove the limit on the weekend then that seems kind of fine. Actually maybe too high for the microtransaction part even.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Might be the impetus for companies to either pull out of the Chinese market or self censor to make it past regulations. From the sounds of it, less and less money to go around.

Dec 28, 2017
Good news for Blizzard and that uneducated and uninformed clown from NBA. In other news China 1984 approach seems to be closing the gap between fiction and reality.

HDNA

Oct 27, 2017
I know korea are doing something like this.
Can kids only play 90 minutes in total or 90 minutes in each platform?

Maso

Sep 6, 2018
This definitely caught my eye, holy shit...
It's been like that in South Korea for years and years as far as I remember. Played a game about a decade ago, and the people who used KSSNs of dead people who hadn't "turned" 18 or whatever age yet ended up getting account restrictions after some law was passed. They could only play at certain times afterwards.

Last edited:

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
🙄

thats like all games

Dem Sexy Blocks

TetrisEffect_June_4K_01.0.png

boy power

Banned
Jul 29, 2019
It's mortifying, but if China wants to make it's gaming market less appealing to the west, then I'm all for it. Unless the west is going to succumb to making games without gore, violence, gambling or sexual explicitness (which in this case includes mentions of LGBT).

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I'm just so happy I'm not a Chinese citizen, everyday I just thank the sky.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
On paper I can see how this is a good policy to maintain children's mental health. But the catch is implementation where you start keeping tabs on your citizens anyway possible no matter how. China is scary man.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
The amount of players disapearing mid-match as their time expires is going to look like the end of infinity war.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Well at least no one was stupid enough to throw away their morals and a shit ton of good will to pander to the Chinese market. Boy, wouldn't that be embarrassing right now?

*cough*

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
It's mortifying, but if China wants to make it's gaming market less appealing to the west, then I'm all for it. Unless the west is going to succumb to making games without gore, violence, gambling or sexual explicitness (which in this case includes mentions of LGBT).

Not gonna happen. What you will probably see is companies contracting random Chinese companies to make market-friendly games for China. Probably using the same IPs and title names, but basically two different games.

Oct 26, 2017
Good, make the Chinese market less appealing for western companies so they're less likely to bend over to China.

Free Hong Kong.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
Video game addiction is very real, but China's "big brother" policies are frightening to say the least.

birdinsky

Jun 10, 2019
Korea already uses real-life identities for many internet accounts, including game accounts. Minors (under 16) can't play online games between midnight and 6 a.m., no time restrictions otherwise. It's still widely considered draconian, but China's proposed regulation makes it look real harmless in comparison, yikes.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
given how strick this seems to be I wounder if some of the mid teir companies might find china not worth it. who am I kidding, the market is too big. its 5x the US market at least.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Aside from the dystopian hell that mainland China is becoming, good news for people outside China in regards to gaming ;p. Allot less money to now be made in China so hopefully game companies wont try to cater to the totalitarian Chinese government anymore.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
And who decides what is predatory and what not? This is not how free will works. If 16 year old me wants to buy some Fortnite skins from my money so be it.
Minors are very prone to video games addiction, including consumption.

There's always a limit to free will. Why do government put restrictions on drugs, alcohols, and cigar consumption? If it's for the good of people, some laws are required.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
The idea that disabled people are now locked out of idling in online gaming spaces is really distressing.

I'm an advocate for moderation, but government control is overzealous and ignores so many individual factors.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
How can they check how long have I been playing? Is there really such an orwellian invigilation there?

Anyway - this could be interesting if implemented. Do you think corporation will start to care less about China with more and more restrictions like these... Or will the games be just tailored for such restrictions...?

I can imagine Free to Play games with achievements and bonuses for playing just three 30 minute sessions or even locking you out from earning stuff if you play more than Winnie the Pooh allows.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
🙄

thats like all games
How can they check how long have I been playing? Is there really such an orwellian invigilation there?

Anyway - this could be interesting if implemented. Do you think corporation will start to care less about China with more and more restrictions like these... Or will the games be just tailored for such restrictions...?
There'll be a catch-all for things specifically approved by the government, and developers that create extremely specific versions that will get a green light. Dat sweet Chinese authoritarian proletariat cash is too good to pass up if at all possible. The gaming industry will slowly morph into the film industry as development costs continue to increase and it'd be considered too annoying to create specific versions for China, so it'll be what everyone gets stuck with.

And idk, it's China so... just assume they have Orwellian enough methods if they want. They can load phones with their own spyware and own OS variants, not to mention real name registration possibilities, so yeah it's probably entirely possible.

CJCW?

Oct 27, 2017
The amount of oversight the Chinese government has over everything its people do is terrifying. Guess I should be more grateful that I don't have to worry about it here.

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
If you want to keep the younger generations distracted/complacent/ignorant of your authoritarian ways, I don't think this is the way to do it...