• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
According to some reports, Solo: A Star Wars Story will drop the Star Wars name and will be released as Ranger Solo. This would not be surprising given the weakness of the Star Wars franchise and the performance on The Last Jedi in China.

A fresh start to not scare away viewers?

Source: Twitter

Via: Comicbook

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Lol god damn. Star Wars is such a flop in China huh

Shame, last jedi is the best thing to come out of Disney in over a decade

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Did Last Jedi really flop that bad in China? Hope this helps though, seems silly but I wouldn't be surprised if it works. It's like if Cap 3 was named Avengers Civil War; probably would've made a lot more money.

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
I know The Last Jedi was pretty bad but this is overreacting.

Some of the highest grossing US movies in China are the last two Transformers movies, it has probably very little to do with quality.

Did Last Jedi really flop that bad in China? Hope this helps though, seems silly but I wouldn't be surprised if it works. It's like if Cap 3 was named Avengers Civil War; probably would've made a lot more money.
Fun (sad) fact, all the captain America movies are marketed as "The First Avenger" instead of Cap in Germany. So, First Avenger: Civil War, First Avenger: Winter Soldier

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
I think once they see Chewbacca, the audience will figure out they've been tricked into seeing a Star Wars movie.

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
It's weird how China seems to be the only country that doesn't like Star Wars.
I don't think China could ever like an epic story about a ragtag group of bandits, farmers and a tempramental ape-human, led by a wise monk who travel to a far away place to retrieve something important while learning about the wisdom of an ancient religion. That just doesn't sound like it fits their cultural tastes.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Sick. It's become Star Wars Sentai.

11186886_864892710244833_1451516651_n.jpg

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think China could ever like an epic story about a ragtag group of bandits, farmers and a tempramental ape-human, led by a wise monk who travel to a far away place to retrieve something important while learning about the wisdom of an ancient religion. That just doesn't sound like it fits their cultural tastes.

vVkoPPU.gif

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
So this is now about Solo trying to take Darth Sidious's magic ring back to the Sith Planet with some Ewoks in tow?

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
Force Awakens made over $120 milion in China, the excuse over brand recognition doesn't hold. Disney just is misjudging te audience expectations in that R1 and TLJ were light on big and exciting action sequences which is what they want. Look at the other big American movies there and you will see the trend in action. That is the biggest reason behind the monsterous success of Fast and Transformers.

TLJ had few action set pieces and the only sword play was short as hell. That is the reason word of mouth cratered it there.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Oh that's right, there's still no trailer for this thing. Everything is fine though.

Ruenheid

Jan 8, 2018
Force Awakens made over $120 milion in China, the excuse over brand recognition doesn't hold. Disney just is misjudging te audience expectations in that R1 and TLJ were light on big and exciting action sequences which is what they want. Look at the other big American movies there and you will see the trend in action. That is the biggest reason behind the monsterous success of Fast and Transformers.

TLJ had few action set pieces and the only sword play was short as hell. That is the reason word of mouth cratered it there.

TFA did well because the Chinese audience wanted to know what the big deal was, given the originals hadn't been released there until quite recently. Since they aren't invested in the brand already, and their popular culture isn't saturated in references to and reverence for it, the new films don't resonate. I don't think they'll crack China, not at this point.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Random guy in China: "Hey, wanna go see the new Ranger Solo movie?"

Random woman in China: "Sure. What's it about"?

Random guy: "Some guy called Ranger Solo. Set in space. He runs about and gets a ship called....it doesn't matter. He's friends with a big hairy guy called...nevermind. It's totally not Star Wars"

JMTHEFOX

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Not sure if removing the Star Wars name from the title is a good idea, but I can see why they did this after how The Last Jedi performed there.

Best of luck to them and I am interested to see how this will work out.