• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
I don't think China could ever like an epic story about a ragtag group of bandits, farmers and a tempramental ape-human, led by a wise monk who travel to a far away place to retrieve something important while learning about the wisdom of an ancient religion. That just doesn't sound like it fits their cultural tastes.

The nature of this post was...irrepressible!

BR2049

Oct 28, 2017
Force Awakens made over $120 milion in China, the excuse over brand recognition doesn't hold. Disney just is misjudging te audience expectations in that R1 and TLJ were light on big and exciting action sequences which is what they want. Look at the other big American movies there and you will see the trend in action. That is the biggest reason behind the monsterous success of Fast and Transformers.

TLJ had few action set pieces and the only sword play was short as hell. That is the reason word of mouth cratered it there.
You're right.
There was more alien horse racing than there was swordplay.

Oct 28, 2017
He's a smuggler, not a ranger.

I think he meets all criteria.

b3760f8f-02a2-48d5-bdmjpz.jpeg

He is responsible forChewbacca so he's a keeper of his treehouse back on Kashhyyk.

He's a member of a duo which includes Chewbacca, who is a heavily armed and skilled commando on his home planet.

He wanders around the galaxy smuggling drugs and moon pies.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think China could ever like an epic story about a ragtag group of bandits, farmers and a tempramental ape-human, led by a wise monk who travel to a far away place to retrieve something important while learning about the wisdom of an ancient religion. That just doesn't sound like it fits their cultural tastes.
Dragon Ball?

/s Yes, I know.

NewDonkStrong

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Chinese audiences go to see American movies for big budget spectacle. The Last Jedi was pretty meditative for a blockbuster, it's not a Michael Bay film by any stretch.(or Geostorm)

Catsygreen

Nov 1, 2017
Is it too early to say that Star Wars is dying? I know, more than a billion at the box office for The Last Jedi, but the spectacular division between the fans, the Asian market that disregards it, and even before the overexploitation with a new trilogy; Disney will drain the series and the next episodes will have to content themselves with laughable scores. Star Wars, even with new ideas (rare) can no longer renew themselves, that's the sad truth.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
This shit should just get canned. No trailer and the film is less than 4 months away? Dud
The lack of a trailer is due to Lucasfilm's internal rule of not simultaneously marketing two Star Wars movies. The close proximity between TLJ and Solo makes it a bit odd though. TLJ is still in theatres, and they want all attention to be on it and its merchandise right now. The trailer should drop during the Super Bowl though, and the toys and merch are all ready to drop.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
If Solo does better in China than The Last Jedi or Rogue One because of this, we are in for a whole lot of title butchering in the years ahead. Popcorn shall flow.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly didn't know SW isn't big in China. Why?

The originals never got released in theaters in the 70s/80s for obvious reasons, so they have no nostalgia for it as a franchise. The prequels were released over there but the Chinese foreign film market wasn't as big as it is now, so, again, no chance at building up a loyal fan base. Now the sequels have come out and they rely so much on nostalgia that they mean nothing to Chinese audiences. TFA did alright because it was a big new thing, but it's built on callbacks to the OT. RO is a prequel that exists to lead in to IV. TLJ is all about subverting expectations - but what if an audience doesn't have any? Etc.

Also, no idea if this is true or not, but I saw someone on Reddit say that a more accurate translation of the Chinese title is "Knight Errant Solo" which is even more hilariously off base.

AdrianG4

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I could gauge the mood of the movie cinema when I watched Rogue One and The Last Jedi in Chinese cinemas and you can tell that the Chinese audience was not particular feeling those films much. Lot's of sighing, looking at phones, a bit of conversation going on between the members.

If you have NO nostalgia for Star Wars, these films are pretty boring since they're not particularly good films either. I thought TLJ was pretty good as a sequel to TFA but, seriously -- this is a very shallow franchise that is hard to market with no nostalgia factor. The Darth Vader ending scene in Rogue One was made only for SW fans to give each other high fives in the cinema. That didn't work here.

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder, would Chinese authorities allow use of the term "smuggler" in the name? I mean, that implies crime, and doesn't China have kinda strict moral standards for films?

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
The originals never got released in theaters in the 70s/80s for obvious reasons, so they have no nostalgia for it as a franchise. The prequels were released over there but the Chinese foreign film market wasn't as big as it is now, so, again, no chance at building up a loyal fan base. Now the sequels have come out and they rely so much on nostalgia that they mean nothing to Chinese audiences. TFA did alright because it was a big new thing, but it's built on callbacks to the OT. RO is a prequel that exists to lead in to IV. TLJ is all about subverting expectations - but what if an audience doesn't have any? Etc.

Also, no idea if this is true or not, but I saw someone on Reddit say that a more accurate translation of the Chinese title is "Knight Errant Solo" which is even more hilariously off base.

Original trilogy did not had a wide release or a release at all back then due to cultural and political issues at the time.
Thank you.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird how China seems to be the only country that doesn't like Star Wars.
THR had a good piece on it the other day:

Partly explaining the erosion, The Force Awakens benefited from pent up curiosity about the Star Wars brand, while Rogue One generated some local excitement with the meaningful roles and well received performances of its Chinese co-stars, Donnie Yen and Jiang Wen.

Last Jedi had neither of these factors going for it, and it also had the bad luck of opening opposite The Ex-File 3: The Return of the Exes, a local romantic comedy that exploded into a surprise hit ($275 million in three weekends).

As many have pointed out, a large part of Star Wars' struggles in China stem from the fact that the original three films never received a wide release in the country (When Star Wars: A New Hope came out in 1977, China was deeply impoverished and only beginning to recover from the ravages of the Cultural Revolution).

"Because of the complex characters and themes, the prequels, and all of the multi-generational layers that are part of the culture, or cult, of Star Wars, it's been hard for young Chinese filmgoers to get into the franchise," says Li.

The most stirring moment of Force Awakens for many U.S. fans, for example, was the Luke Skywalker reveal at the very end. Without already adoring the original films, most Chinese filmgoers could only wonder: So who is this old guy, suddenly, and why are we supposed to care?

"Star Wars has no legacy here," says Wu. "It will require something fresh to win back the Chinese audience."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...ys-jedi-mind-trick-isnt-working-china-1075177

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017

dhMeAzK.gif

Marvo Pandoras

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
200w_s.gif

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
oh you

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017

我看到你在那里做了什么

Mockerre

Story Director
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
so-good.gif

China subverted Disney's expectations, it seems.

(is it still ok to post JF gifs?)

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
well SW does rely on brand name recognition and iconic significance a hell of a lot to carry itself.

For me in particular i had only watched the first* movie in high school and never watched the rest cause i largely had never been interested in SW.

but even then, i knew through everything else what Star wars actually was at the most basic level and its cultural significance for a lot of people just because of its place from parodies to commercials to word of mouth to pretty much everything in between

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Other definitions for "游侠" seem to be:
Paladin
Knight-Errant
Wandering-Hero
Chivalrous-Person

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
Goddamn. 10/10 post.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Star Wars is that universal around the world, it's just that China is the only place like that big enough for Disney to care about.