• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
Any film that's part of a franchise is going to feel "recognizably" part of that series, I'm not sure what you even want.
It's not a matter of what I want; it's a matter of what Chinese audiences want. And that seems to be a story that sells itself without relying on iconography or references to other Star Wars films. If Disney were to introduce ideas that are completely new, then they'd have to treat them as things that have to be explained to a new audience, and that's exactly what Chinese audiences would count as. It's how the Marvel films work, but that's not why Disney makes Star Wars films. They want to indulge in familiar things like Jedis, the Force, stormtroopers, and the like.

I was confused by ranger so I looked the Chinese name. It's "游侠洛罗", so they are trying to repackage him as some kind of Wuxia warrior. This shit is too funny.
The wording may be reminiscent of wuxia warriors, but it's also not all that different from Han Solo's actual role in the early films.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not a matter of what I want; it's a matter of what Chinese audiences want. And that seems to be a story that sells itself without relying on iconography or references to other Star Wars films. If Disney were to introduce ideas that are completely new, then they'd have to treat them as things that have to be explained to a new audience, and that's exactly what Chinese audiences would count as. It's how the Marvel films work, but that's not why Disney makes Star Wars films. They want to indulge in familiar things like Jedis, the Force, stormtroopers, and the like.

"In shepherding this new trilogy, which is separate from the episodic Skywalker saga, Johnson will introduce new characters from a corner of the galaxy that Star Wars lore has never before explored."

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere
Sick. It's become Star Wars Sentai.

11186886_864892710244833_1451516651_n.jpg
Does china even have sentai shows?

D.A.

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Changing the name is silly, there is what is called search engines. If people think they're trying to trick them into seeing it, it may tank even worse.

All of the Star wars film underperformed in China due to their history with the franchise.

TFA not as bad as TLJ.

Alt right groups say part of the problem has been injecting too much political ideology into the films. Though I don't know if that's true.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Changing the name is silly, there is what is called search engines. If people think they're trying to trick them into seeing it, it may tank even worse.

TFA not as bad as TLJ.

Alt right groups say part of the problem has been injecting too much political ideology into the films
. Though I don't know if that's true.
Why woyld you believe anything that group says?

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think China could ever like an epic story about a ragtag group of bandits, farmers and a tempramental ape-human, led by a wise monk who travel to a far away place to retrieve something important while learning about the wisdom of an ancient religion. That just doesn't sound like it fits their cultural tastes.
Backstroke of the Journey to the West

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
China not having any particular nostalgia or love for Star Wars in general is brilliant.. particularly in these troubled times

numble

Oct 25, 2017
The bigger reason probably is because Rogue One was translated into something like "Star Wars Outside/Non-Main Story: Rogue One", and "Star Wars" itself already takes up 4 syllables in Chinese.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Asia renames things all the time. I teach in Japan and sometimes my students try to ask me if I've seen a movie and I have no idea what they're talking about. I look it up and discover it's a popular movie with a wildly different name for no reason.