• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

00virus-reconstruct-1-superJumbo.jpg

WUHAN, China — A doctor who was among the first to warn about the coronavirus outbreak, only to be silenced by the police, died on Friday after himself becoming infected with the virus, the hospital treating him reported.

The Wuhan City Central Hospital said at 3:48 a.m. Friday that the doctor, Li Wenliang, had died shortly before. "We deeply regret and mourn this," it said on the Chinese social media site Weibo.

Just hours earlier, the hospital said it was still fighting to save Dr. Li.

The New York Times wrote about the doctor on Feb. 1, documenting his efforts to alert colleagues about an alarming cluster of illnesses that resembled Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome or SARS, an earlier coronavirus that ravaged China nearly two decades ago. The article also reported Dr. Li's middle-of-the-night summons by unhappy health officials.

"If the officials had disclosed information about the epidemic earlier," Dr. Li told The Times. "I think it would have been a lot better. There should be more openness and transparency."

Early reports of Dr. Li's death, before the hospital said he was still alive, set off an outpouring of messages on the Chinese internet that lionized him as a hero who stood up to officials trying to play down a medical threat that came to engulf Wuhan, spill across China and ignite an international health crisis.

After the hospital said doctors were still trying to save Dr. Li, people began posting comments of support. The doctor has one child, and he and his wife are expecting a second in the summer.

"Not sleeping!!! Waiting online for a miracle," said one comment under the hospital's statement on Weibo. "We don't need to sleep tonight, but Li Wenliang must rise."

In recent days, China has stepped up censorship after a rush of online criticism and investigative reports by emboldened Chinese journalists exposing the missteps that led the government to underestimate the threat of the coronavirus.

RIP Dr. Li.

Sounds like the first episode of Chernobyl-someone trying to warn everyone, but the state worries about the spread of information.

Corporal

Oct 27, 2017
May he rest in peace. I hope he will be properly remembered.

...Just imagine being in his shoes. What a guy.

It's kind of a bummer that this thread has only so few replies.

Apr 17, 2019
Viridia
I just read about him a couple days ago too. damn.
RIP Doctor, you deserved so much better from your own government.

Reaction in Chinese social media has been remarkably harsh on the CCP. Deservedly so.

The top two trending hashtags on the website were "Wuhan government owes Dr Li Wenliang and apology" and "We want freedom of speech".

Both hashtags were quickly censored. When the BBC searched Weibo on Friday, hundreds of thousands of comments had been wiped. Only a handful remain.

"This is not the death of a whistleblower. This is the death of a hero," said one comment on Weibo.

Many have now taken to posting under the hashtag "Can you manage, do you understand?" - a reference to the letter Dr Li was told to sign when he was accused of disturbing "social order".

These comments do not directly name him - but are telling of the mounting anger and distrust towards the government.

"Do not forget how you feel now. Do not forget this anger. We must not let this happen again," said one comment on Weibo.

"The truth will always be treated as a rumour. How long are you going to lie? What else do you have to hide?" another said.

"If you are angry with what you see, stand up," one said. "To the young people of this generation, the power of change is with you."
The bolded are so very typical of the CCP though blargh.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
I bet he was deliberately killed/allowed to die - the government knew how bad he made them look. Makes me sad, he's a hero.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
I was so confused and thought this was about a chinese doctor who knockoff show. But RIP to the poor guy

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Most disturbing thing is hes still young. Definitely one of the youngest to pas away from this virus.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Its disgusting that China censured this doctor for trying to warn people before an epidemic occurred. May he rest in peace.

ss1

Oct 27, 2017
May he be at peace. A hero who tried to do the right thing in a country where it's nearly impossible to do so.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He was only 34, prime of his life and is the only young adult fatality to happen under the virus.

It's obviously foul play, perhaps by local government given how even the CCP is outraged for how negligent they've been in handling the outbreak.

If they're not going to be open about an autopsy then CCP is also culpable.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Everything about how China handled this thing is insane and fucked up. If anything, I would have expected them to overreact right away and call for a quarantine much sooner. The SARS panic is still in living memory there, after all.
I wonder when the doctor was infected, precisely. As far as I know, it wasn't clear right away that the virus could be spread over the eyes as well, so I assume the doctor might have been one of the earliest cases infected with it. Perhaps he was held up by the police and couldn't get treatment in time.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
May he rest in peace. It is so frustrating that China chose to protect their public image and censor this instead of warning the world about it. Arrogance and selfishnesses at its peak. So frustrating.
Well when it threatens a mini revolution in the people and Chinese industry faces tough months ahead maybe, just maybe, next time they will act differently. We can only hope. This makes China look terrible to the world the longer this goes on for and escalates worldwide.

This man was a hero. I hope he is remembered.

As for censorship in China, I just don't know how long they can get away with it. In my city there's thousands upon thousands of Chinese students experiencing western culture and while I know there is a reach outside the country in terms of secret police or whatever, it's literally impossible to keep the news from these people outside of China, and thus it all finding its way back to family members and friends back home eventually. You can only censor so much. Somethings gotta give in China.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
Fuck the censorship, if he and his fellow doctors could warn the public weeks earlier, we wouldn't have this international mess with hundreds of deaths.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Ehh, he died conveniently after a few days of putting officials on blast in the New York Times

20% chance he died after a valiant attempt to save his life by medical staff
80% between a vindictive mid level official having him outright murdered or let him die.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
How many non-immunocompromised people is this virus kiking? I thought deaths were among the old and infirm already.

Lcs

Aug 9, 2018
May he rest in peace. It is so frustrating that China chose to protect their public image and censor this instead of warning the world about it. Arrogance and selfishnesses at its peak. So frustrating.

Why are authoritarian governments always so dumb?

All they had to do was shift the blame to the specific health officials who tried to silence him, claiming they were wrong and acting without party/government approval.

That would reenforce the image that they actually care about doing what's right and strengthen their image of efficiency and being against corruption .

But no, they had to attack the one man who was actually in the trenches fighting and literally died while trying to save lives.

It's mind boggling and a blessing in disguise, I guess, that they are this incompetent at PR.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
Everything about how China handled this thing is insane and fucked up. If anything, I would have expected them to overreact right away and call for a quarantine much sooner.
That's not how China rolls. A friend of mine referred to China as the "Bridezilla" of nations and I darn near had an epiphany. It is so on point. China is OBSESSED with appearances. The government's reaction to bad news is that of a toddler getting a toy taken away. FFS, Xi threw a fit when someone compared him to Winnie the Pooh. . . one of the most universally beloved characters in media history. I'd love to be Pooh; I'm usually compared to far nastier things. Transparent fish have thicker skins than China.

As a result the whole gorram country is deliberately structured to sustain the fairyland. This is an oversimplification so I know I'm leaving myself open to Chinabot apologists accusing me of misunderstanding or mis-portraying the Great Fearless Country, but they can eat shit. Basically, low-level government workers (inspectors, supervisors, etc.) are essentially held responsible for whatever or whomever they're supposed to oversee. If not officially, the courts have no issues with patsies. So let's say you're an inspector for water quality. If your boss's boss takes a bribe to have toxic waste dumped into reservoir and thousands die, either you or someone you work with completely unconnected to the crime (like the reservoir maintenance folks who had no say in the matter or may have even protested at risk of getting arrested) will be accused, tried, found guilty, and sent to prison or even executed. So either you're scared to death for your own skin, or you can't bear the guilt of ruining a bunch of innocent people. And it's not like diligently reporting problems will get the government to give a rat's ass about whatever you're trying to report, in fact it'll get you punished and censored, so why even try? You either sell your soul and become a willing part of the machine, or you go to work stoned out of your mind while you wait for doom. This doctor was nothing less than heroic, but the whole system is so crazy that there can never be enough altruists to make a difference. They've succeeded in creating a very, very high threshold where someone can be compelled to action.

So of course the higher-ups never want to hear any bad news, because as often as not they knowingly cause it and their superiors don't want to hear it. The low-level guys have no incentive (outside of pure morality, which ain't enough for most people) to go public on stuff that they're very likely to be punished for. And since the virus threatened to disrupt the Chinese New Year, that's a lot of people making a lot of money by burying the bad news.

There was no way China's response was going to be anything other than the tragically comical shitfest of incompetence we all now have to deal with. Most of the Chinese acted out of completely logical self-preservation. What's insane is the government's institutionalization of delusion that makes pretending a pandemic doesn't exist a logical decision. Send your hugs and kisses to Bridezilla the Pooh.

Oct 27, 2017
So many aspects of the way this played out are shitty that it's hard to think of what the worst part of this story is.

RIP to the guy, he was a hero and its such a shame to think of how much better off we might be right now if this had been taken seriously when he started reporting it.

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Why are authoritarian governments always so dumb?

All they had to do was shift the blame to the specific health officials who tried to silence him, claiming they were wrong and acting without party/government approval.

That would reenforce the image that they actually care about doing what's right and strengthen their image of efficiency and being against corruption .

But no, they had to attack the one man who was actually in the trenches fighting and literally died while trying to save lives.

It's mind boggling and a blessing in disguise, I guess, that they are this incompetent at PR.

Or the Chinese government could've acknowledged that this is a world-wide issue and be more open and cooperative about dealing with it instead of hiding it underneath the rug? It's not really about pointing the blame or passing the blame here but more to do with recognising that there's a problem that affects EVERY single nation and therefore address it accordingly and act on preventing further damage.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Ehh, he died conveniently after a few days of putting officials on blast in the New York Times

20% chance he died after a valiant attempt to save his life by medical staff
80% between a vindictive mid level official having him outright murdered or let him die.

Yup this seems pretty obvious imo.

kagete

Oct 27, 2017
I can just imagine he was doing multiple 24-36 hour shifts trying his best to help the flood of patients. His tired body's immune system probably gave in. RIP dude, I hope your family knows that the rest of the world will remember him as a hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.