• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
No way he died from the virus. No one else nearly that young has died.

He was probably one of the first few people infected by it. Back when people had no idea what was happening and he worked at that same hospital right?
It kind of makes sense.

Still extremely sad. RIP.

Lcs

Aug 9, 2018
Or the Chinese government could've acknowledged that this is a world-wide issue and be more open and cooperative about dealing with it instead of hiding it underneath the rug? It's not really about pointing the blame or passing the blame here but more to do with recognising that there's a problem that affects EVERY single nation and therefore address it accordingly and act on preventing further damage.

I know what I said is not the right thing to do, I'm just saying thank god they are so stupid about stuff like this.

I guess the same mentality that prevents them from seeing the easy PR spins is what keeps them from doing the right thing in the first place.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
This whole story sums up the stupidity of humanity. Rather cover up a problem than deal with it then it leads to a much bigger problem down the road.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
That article of was a tough read and was also further affirmation that we will be the end of us rather than some rock from space.

Profoundly stupid move by the officials there.

RIP.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
That's not how China rolls. A friend of mine referred to China as the "Bridezilla" of nations and I darn near had an epiphany. It is so on point. China is OBSESSED with appearances. The government's reaction to bad news is that of a toddler getting a toy taken away. FFS, Xi threw a fit when someone compared him to Winnie the Pooh. . . one of the most universally beloved characters in media history. I'd love to be Pooh; I'm usually compared to far nastier things. Transparent fish have thicker skins than China.

As a result the whole gorram country is deliberately structured to sustain the fairyland. This is an oversimplification so I know I'm leaving myself open to Chinabot apologists accusing me of misunderstanding or mis-portraying the Great Fearless Country, but they can eat shit. Basically, low-level government workers (inspectors, supervisors, etc.) are essentially held responsible for whatever or whomever they're supposed to oversee. If not officially, the courts have no issues with patsies. So let's say you're an inspector for water quality. If your boss's boss takes a bribe to have toxic waste dumped into reservoir and thousands die, either you or someone you work with completely unconnected to the crime (like the reservoir maintenance folks who had no say in the matter or may have even protested at risk of getting arrested) will be accused, tried, found guilty, and sent to prison or even executed. So either you're scared to death for your own skin, or you can't bear the guilt of ruining a bunch of innocent people. And it's not like diligently reporting problems will get the government to give a rat's ass about whatever you're trying to report, in fact it'll get you punished and censored, so why even try? You either sell your soul and become a willing part of the machine, or you go to work stoned out of your mind while you wait for doom. This doctor was nothing less than heroic, but the whole system is so crazy that there can never be enough altruists to make a difference. They've succeeded in creating a very, very high threshold where someone can be compelled to action.

So of course the higher-ups never want to hear any bad news, because as often as not they knowingly cause it and their superiors don't want to hear it. The low-level guys have no incentive (outside of pure morality, which ain't enough for most people) to go public on stuff that they're very likely to be punished for. And since the virus threatened to disrupt the Chinese New Year, that's a lot of people making a lot of money by burying the bad news.

There was no way China's response was going to be anything other than the tragically comical shitfest of incompetence we all now have to deal with. Most of the Chinese acted out of completely logical self-preservation. What's insane is the government's institutionalization of delusion that makes pretending a pandemic doesn't exist a logical decision. Send your hugs and kisses to Bridezilla the Pooh.
Thanks for this detailed response, and makes a lot of sense.

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Conspiracy theorizing over multiple posts
Interestingly only 1 in 1000 people infected by the virus in Mr Li's age die of the disease. We didn't know this back then, however now we got far better statistics.

Dude got butchered by the CCP for being a dissident. Utter disgrace.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Interestingly only 1 in 1000 people infected by the virus in Mr Li's age die of the disease. We didn't know this back then, however now we got far better statistics.

Dude got butchered by the CCP for being a dissident. Utter disgrace.

He might have had an underlying condition as well. Supressed immune system or some respiratory ailment etc.

A lot of people aren't aware they have existing health problems.

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
He might have had an underlying condition as well. Supressed immune system or some respiratory ailment etc.

A lot of people aren't aware they have existing health problems.

Clearly this makes more sense, I also choose to believe in a 1/1000 chance of death over a regime that:

- Tried to silence Mr Li multiple times before for being a dissenter
- Has a history of dissapearing and killing off dissenters like him
- Had the means, motive and opportunity to kill Mr Li off
- Had a great alibi, since well he had the coronavirus right?

They didn't know back then only 1 in a 1000 in Mr Li's agerange actually died. Their alibi didn't turn out to be so believable weeks later with better statistics.

Yeah this was clear cut murder.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Clearly this makes more sense, I also choose to believe in a 1/1000 chance of death over a regime that:

They didn't know back then only 1 in a 1000 in Mr Li's agerange actually died. Their alibi didn't turn out to be so believable weeks later with better statistics.

Yup.

It was days after the nytimes profile too which was embarrassing as hell; i don't think it was someone high up in the party had him murdered but absolutely a mid level type who felt a ways about the article.

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
Yup.

It was days after the nytimes profile too which was embarrassing as hell; i don't think it was someone high up in the party had him murdered but absolutely a mid level type who felt a ways about the article.

Ah thanks.. someone agrees! I don't see any talk about this anywhere. I feel like a conspiracy nutter... even though the actual story which has been told has far more base for a conspiracy.

mieumieu

Oct 25, 2017
The Farplane
I don't believe Dr. Li was murdered per se, maybe I was naive.

But it could be simply because the hospital he was at had the most medical worker death, such as the other ophthalmologist working with him regularly. He also died from the virus.

There's probably something very wrong in how this particular hospital in how they treat COVID-19 patients. There was investigative articles in Chinese media talking about it. Caixin and even Global Times which usually doesn't do these kinds of "criticizing" investigative reporting.

But they were quickly censored for some reason. Of course nothing was truly censored on the internet, and you can still find them circulating in Chinese social media. Hmm...

There might be some internal conflicts regarding this? I dunno.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC

So your conspiracy is that the government that murdered him tried to cover it up by saying he died of the thing he was whistleblowing, while it was being highly publicized by the media and their own state apparatus...?

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
So your conspiracy is that the government that murdered him tried to cover it up by saying he died of the thing he was whistleblowing, while it was being highly publicized by the media and their own state apparatus...?

I'm not sure what you're asking. I think the post you're quoting is extremely clear in its setup.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

I don't think it's the government on a high level per say, not like Ji made a phonecall.

But since the Nytimes article threw a shitload of people way under his paygrade under the bus on a more local level (who could face extreme punishment by the party themselves by information in said articles), I have no doubt many people weren't sad at his untimely passing, lol. Many probably breathed sighs of relief higher ups couldn't interview him further.

It's just too oddly timed after the article that made no mention of him being deathly ill for him to drop dead a few days afterwards. I don't think it's a conspiracy at all considering how many people have 'disappeared' who were linked to whistleblowing this crisis which kind of blows holes in your 'high publicized whistle blowing in media so he's protected' idea.

www.nytimes.com

Chinese Tycoon Who Criticized Xi’s Response to Coronavirus Has Vanished (Published 2020)

Ren Zhiqiang appears to be the latest government critic silenced by the Communist Party as it cracks down on dissent over the epidemic.

www.nytimes.com

They Documented the Coronavirus Crisis in Wuhan. Then They Vanished. (Published 2020)

Two video bloggers whose dispatches from the heart of the outbreak showed fear, grief and dissatisfaction with the government have gone silent.

Status
Not open for further replies.