• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Er Gen's stories are easily amongst the most enjoyable ones. Fairly good main characters, solid cultivation systems, good comedy, hype moments like becoming an immortal in ISSTH, and decent action.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
金庸 Jin Yong/ Louis Cha has passed away at 94. He is probably the most monumental figure in modern wuxia and in Hong Kong literature in general. He also co founded the newspaper Ming Pao. My parents used read his widow stories as newspaper serials and reading his novels was probably what maintained and improved my Chinese language skills growing up. I'm not sure about his politics in recent times but his achievements literature is much appreciated.

w644

OP
OP
Sun's Resting Place
Oct 25, 2017
金庸 Jin Yong/ Louis Cha has passed away at 94. He is probably the most monumental figure in modern wuxia and in Hong Kong literature in general. He also co founded the newspaper Ming Pao. My parents used read his widow stories as newspaper serials and reading his novels was probably what maintained and improved my Chinese language skills growing up. I'm not sure about his politics in recent times but his achievements literature is much appreciated.

w644
RIP. Made a thread, wanted more people to possibly read his work.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't know this thread existed! (Came here from the Jin Yong thread).

Finished up Ze Tian Ji recently which I loved, am also somewhere in the middle of Joy of Life. Also enjoying Cultivation Chat Group which is hilarious.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
My parents told me he and people of his generations waited right outside the publisher when his serials got out of the printing press. Many years later I would be similarly addicted to his work. Good bye, Jin Yong

less

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't know this thread existed! (Came here from the Jin Yong thread).

Finished up Ze Tian Ji recently which I loved, am also somewhere in the middle of Joy of Life. Also enjoying Cultivation Chat Group which is hilarious.

Welcome! Ze Tian Ji is amazing. Probably the most well written Xianxia that I've read to date.

Cultivation Chat Group...I like it but something stops me every now and then from reading it for a few months after reading thirty or so chapters.

OP
OP
Sun's Resting Place
Oct 25, 2017
There are just too many new series on Qidian to get by with free spirit stones, some are even going premium within like 100 or less chapters. It sucks. Then again, I guess I should be glad that more is being translated.

Also, man, some serious shit has been going down in both A Will Eternal and Martial World. I feel like the comedy has definitely ebbed off for a while for this part of AWE.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Qidian was always going to go down this route. It has already made me drop series already.

And yeah, AWE does start to get less comedic. Still waiting for the translation for his new story.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Reading Cultivation Chat Group from where I left it off. Read up to 499. Its good but the lack of a greater plot is really dragging down the whole story. MC's motivations are just not there. Cultivate? Far from being enough to be engaging. Even the single-minded obsession of characters like Ji Ning to get strong enough to bring back his dead wife dead more to make the cultivation journey tolerable.

Qidian also just reduced the spirit stones invitation bonus to 56 instead of 99.

It'll probably be reduced more.

OP
OP
Sun's Resting Place
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised that even after 2,000 chapters, I'm still enjoying reading Martial World. I can't go back to reading True Martial World anymore.

As for what I'm currently reading:

Lord of the Mysteries: A pretty interesting Chinese take on Lovecraftian-esque steampunk mythos. I am enjoying reading it quite a bit, and it's pretty well written and translated.

Superstars of Tomorrow: It's interesting that the vast majority of this future sci-fi work is actually based around music composition and acting. There is some action, and the MC is a badass and fully capable of fighting, but I like that he actually spends most of his time NOT fighting.

Soaring of Galaxia - This is a pretty traditional xianxia, but the MC is a lot smarter and more methodical than most other protagonists. At least, he is in the later chapters. He's also pretty likeable for a xianxia protagonist, but the downside is that like most Chinese fantasy fiction, the antagonists are a little too stupid.

I'm still reading several others. A Will Eternal's tone shift is a little less comedy than I'd like, but I'm still enjoying it. Emperor's Domination is still the same as it always is.

You know, I didn't mention I was reading I Am Really a Superstar in here, and have for a while, but I kind of stopped reading it - the MC is too punchable. The romance scenes are just nauseating, his ridiculous nationalism and racism is very offputting, and he never actually invents anything of his own because he just plagiarizes everything from our world so you never feel like he really accomplishes anything that makes you proud of him. Funnily enough, the Chinese readers think he's punchable too, so it isn't just our perspective.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
Whelp, just found out about a free video streaming app with the Mao Ni and Yue Guan's TV adaptations with eng sub. Good bye, everyone

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sun's Resting Place
Oct 25, 2017
EqCZdu1.jpg

Looks like Qidian finally relented. They realized there's no fucking way people are paying hundreds of dollars just to read like two series.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Good. Their previous setup was fucking bullshit. This is much better for readers. Hopefully they won't pull further bullshit down the line.

OP
OP
Sun's Resting Place
Oct 25, 2017
Good. Their previous setup was fucking bullshit. This is much better for readers. Hopefully they won't pull further bullshit down the line.
This is still a silly price point though. They would have so many more people signing up for this if it was $10 a month more like other ebook services. $25 Is still a bit exorbitant.

less

Oct 25, 2017
This is still a silly price point though. They would have so many more people signing up for this if it was $10 a month more like other ebook services. $25 Is still a bit exorbitant.

Having just looked at prices for Amazon Kindle...yeah. $25 is expensive as hell in comparison to similar services. Still progress I suppose but given the varying translation quality I don't see it as a worthwhile subscription. Maybe it might be okay for people who get it for a month and binge read a hell of a stuff before dropping it until several months down the line to let stuff build up.

OP
OP
Sun's Resting Place
Oct 25, 2017
Having just looked at prices for Amazon Kindle...yeah. $25 is expensive as hell in comparison to similar services. Still progress I suppose but given the varying translation quality I don't see it as a worthwhile subscription. Maybe it might be okay for people who get it for a month and binge read a hell of a stuff before dropping it until several months down the line to let stuff build up.
I feel like this is a price point that lessens whales that spend ridiculous amounts so Qidian makes less money AND drives away people that would have bought the subscription for 10 bucks or less. They chose a particularly bad place to be in the middle on.

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been enjoying my return to LOCH with A Bond Undone, very nostalgic. More backstory on Huang Yaoshi and his disciples that I don't remember seeing in the TV series. More details on the source of the poetry and more backstory surrounding general Yue Fei. All that is great. The naming conventions still irk me. Tempest Qu, Galeforce Wu :/

One of the quotes in the back cover is an outdated "The most widely read Chinese writer alive" :((( RIP, one of my childhood heroes

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
Watching Ever Night series via Viki app right now. This is an amazing adaptation, not faithful but really improves upon the original Mao Ni's novel (Currently at episode 42 of 60). Check it out if you havent.

PS: The female lead, Song Yiren, wow. She's so tiny

images

OP
OP
Sun's Resting Place
Oct 25, 2017
I've been enjoying my return to LOCH with A Bond Undone, very nostalgic. More backstory on Huang Yaoshi and his disciples that I don't remember seeing in the TV series. More details on the source of the poetry and more backstory surrounding general Yue Fei. All that is great. The naming conventions still irk me. Tempest Qu, Galeforce Wu :/

One of the quotes in the back cover is an outdated "The most widely read Chinese writer alive" :((( RIP, one of my childhood heroes
Same. Just got the second one!
KaZlq4D.png

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been reading A Bond Undone voraciously while commuting, and am about 2/3rd done. Really been enjoying the adventure, the fights, the training sessions. This is absolutely classic Wuxia.

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm saddened that I'm already nearing the end of A Bond Undone, but I've been devouring it. I'm up to the 3 trials part. Only 2 more years until the final part of the novel gets released :/

I'm really enjoying the pacing compared to the TV series I've watched (TVB 1982, Mainland 2003).The fact that it doesn't ruminate on and on about Yang Kang and Mu Nianci helps. Guo Jing goes through a very nicely-paced progression of power.

Improving his neigong via the snake's blood. Learning the 1st move of Dragon-Subduing Palm (and learning the theory of holding back energy when striking). Testing it out on Liang Ziweng, with the limitations of only knowing one move. Learning the next 14 moves. Fighting against Mei Chaofeng only using the 15 moves sequentially and repeating them (and being predictable). When confronted by Huang Yaoshi, putting all his energy in his attack against Huang Yaoshi and having it backfire on him. Seeing one of the elders of the Beggar Clan perform another of the Dragon-Subduing Palm moves against Ouyang Ke and integrating the move. Fighting against Ouyang Ke and having to adapt and fight with his limited 16 moves in reverse sequence. Learning the last moves from Hong Qigong but still losing to Ouyang Ke's secret Snake Fist. Meeting Zhou Botong and spending a good portion of the novel learning his Hollow Fist (learning to hold back energy and furthering his understanding of the Dragon-Subduing Palm), his Competing Hands (learning to use different styles/moves with each hand) and finally enhancing his neigong with the 9 Jin manual. Using that new understanding of martial theory to grasp what's happening when Ouyang Feng and Hong Qigong are fighting each other.

All this is awesome classic Wuxia. A lot of nuances I never got from the TV series.

-----------------------------------

A question for Legend of Condor Heroes connoisseurs regarding the 9Jin manual:

From past TV series I've watched, and some of what I've read online while searching for this:
Zhou Botong destroys his copy of it in anger. Huang Yaoshi's wife transcribes it from memory. His two disciples steal the 2nd part, while he keeps the 1st part. Mei Chaofeng keeps part 2 inscribed on Chen Xuanfeng's skin. Guo Jing's 2nd shifu steals it from Mei Chaofeng, then gives it to him. Zhou Botong discovers it when they meet in the cave.

From the official translation:

Zhou Botong never destroys the manual. Guo Jing's 2nd shifu returns part 2 to Mei Chaofeng after the fight, who returns it to Huang Yaoshi. There is no mention of Chen Xuanfeng's skin, nor of Zhou Botong getting anything from Guo Jing.

Is this because of the edition changes/revisions? I can't find the exact differences online in english.

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, digging further, it seems to have been changes made in the 3rd edition. The other changes seem to correspond with what's in the official translation.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
While it does get a bit repetitive at times (that could just be a general drawback of the format of these novels), I really enjoy Emperor's Domination. Some really good world building and some great antagonists.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
Ok, digging further, it seems to have been changes made in the 3rd edition. The other changes seem to correspond with what's in the official translation.
I'm not fully up on the exact differences between editions, but LOCH and Demi-gods and Semidevils are the ones that were the most heavily changed.

So how good is the translation? I'm thinking mostly in terms of flow. I'm wondering whether to pick these books up and the translated names are scaring me a bit.

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not fully up on the exact differences between editions, but LOCH and Demi-gods and Semidevils are the ones that were the most heavily changed.

So how good is the translation? I'm thinking mostly in terms of flow. I'm wondering whether to pick these books up and the translated names are scaring me a bit.
I don't recommend it if the naming convention is a dealbreaker. It is the books' biggest flaw, imo. I'll learned to live with it, but I don't have to like it. In spite of this huge flaw, I have been having a blast.
I'm really enjoying the pace of the book. It's still obvious that it's a translation, but it still flows nicely 'enough'. Will finish book 2 before the end of this week.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
I don't recommend it if the naming convention is a dealbreaker. It is the books' biggest flaw, imo. I'll learned to live with it, but I don't have to like it. In spite of this huge flaw, I have been having a blast.
I'm really enjoying the pace of the book. It's still obvious that it's a translation, but it still flows nicely 'enough'. Will finish book 2 before the end of this week.
I despise translated names but it's not a deal breaker because I've already read the book in Chinese. I'm mostly curious as to how good the translation is at matching the original's writing style. The other Jin Yong translations I've come across (professional or fan) tended to aim for accuracy so they ended up feeling clunky and unnatural.

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I despise translated names but it's not a deal breaker because I've already read the book in Chinese. I'm mostly curious as to how good the translation is at matching the original's writing style. The other Jin Yong translations I've come across (professional or fan) tended to aim for accuracy so they ended up feeling clunky and unnatural.
There is some unnaturalness, but that has more to do with some translated terms. I've found that it flows generally well (enough). I typed up some sample paragraphs here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/chinese-fantasy-fiction-ot-the-reset-era.2483/page-7#post-7947804

OP
OP
Sun's Resting Place
Oct 25, 2017
Martial World has been fully translated. The final chapters just came out today. What a ride. Kind of a little abrupt of an end but it's probably one of the most solid and consistent standard xianxia I've read. This is almost like reading a "how to make a xianxia" example but in a good way taken on the whole.

It just makes me confused why True Martial World is so much shittier after a certain point.

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Martial World has been fully translated. The final chapters just came out today. What a ride. Kind of a little abrupt of an end but it's probably one of the most solid and consistent standard xianxia I've read. This is almost like reading a "how to make a xianxia" example but in a good way taken on the whole.

It just makes me confused why True Martial World is so much shittier after a certain point.
I need to check it out then. I think there is a tv show about this out now? Maybe I'm thinking of something else.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Er Gen's new novel is out on web novel finally. Only three chapters in and I can tell that it will have Gen's brand of humor in strong supply. As long as it has awesome cultivation and fights I will be happy.

OP
OP
Sun's Resting Place
Oct 25, 2017
I am just going to recommend Forty Millenniums of Cultivation again because it's only gotten crazier as the story goes on.

Things in this story:
- The Dark Forest theory of Cixin Liu's from his sci-fi series
- mind bending plots
- representation of race in government
- sleeper cell spies
- pirates
- mecha
- Mad Max
- exoskeletons
- biotechnology
- demons
- public relations
- terrorism
- bombs
- flying swords
- cultivation sects built like business empires with publicly traded stocks
- aliens
- analysis of the role of veterans in modern society

The arc I'm reading right now is blowing my freaking mind. Plots within plots within plots.

less

Oct 25, 2017
I am just going to recommend Forty Millenniums of Cultivation again because it's only gotten crazier as the story goes on.

Things in this story:
- The Dark Forest theory of Cixin Liu's from his sci-fi series
- mind bending plots
- representation of race in government
- sleeper cell spies
- pirates
- mecha
- Mad Max
- exoskeletons
- biotechnology
- demons
- public relations
- terrorism
- bombs
- flying swords
- cultivation sects built like business empires with publicly traded stocks
- aliens
- analysis of the role of veterans in modern society

The arc I'm reading right now is blowing my freaking mind. Plots within plots within plots.

Heh. Just started reading this novel again. Stopped at chapter 100 before and now am picking it back up.

How badass does the MC become? And how is the romance? Female lead?

OP
OP
Sun's Resting Place
Oct 25, 2017
Heh. Just started reading this novel again. Stopped at chapter 100 before and now am picking it back up.

How badass does the MC become? And how is the romance? Female lead?
MC ends up pretty goddamn badass. There is only one girl he gets together with and she's badass too. No harem.

They end up separated for a lot of the story though. If you're hoping for a lot of romance it's not that prominent because of that.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Been reading a couple of series, but none of them really hit the spot like ISSTH or CD.

MGA - this series is bad. So much filler. Last time I actually read, the MC(Chu Feng) was supposed to find his mother, but that was like a thousand chapters ago. I've been skimming a lot of the chapters and nothing has happened since then.

AST - I've decided to drop it. Just your generic isekai + harem combination. That's not enough to make me drop the series though. I"m dropping because of the author. If you haven't read the novel, the author has some pretty problematic views, and it comes across in his writing. Rape is ok if the MC does it, and the author mentioned how you could understand a woman by looking at their eyebrows (seriously, what kid of BS is that?). If you thought it couldn't get any worse, the MC somehow has a magical penis that turns the only lesbian character straight after sleeping with her.

ATG - not a bad series. Wasn't expecting what happened to Yun Che, so that was a pretty bold move. It could do with less rape though, and I hope the MC doesn't get healed with rape/sex. I'm glad that nothing bad happened to his wife, as many people were speculating.

DE - really need to finish this novel. I think I stopped reading at around volume 27(?) or so. I'll pick it back up now that it's finished.

OP
OP
Sun's Resting Place
Oct 25, 2017
Been reading a couple of series, but none of them really hit the spot like ISSTH or CD.

MGA - this series is bad. So much filler. Last time I actually read, the MC(Chu Feng) was supposed to find his mother, but that was like a thousand chapters ago. I've been skimming a lot of the chapters and nothing has happened since then.

AST - I've decided to drop it. Just your generic isekai + harem combination. That's not enough to make me drop the series though. I"m dropping because of the author. If you haven't read the novel, the author has some pretty problematic views, and it comes across in his writing. Rape is ok if the MC does it, and the author mentioned how you could understand a woman by looking at their eyebrows (seriously, what kid of BS is that?). If you thought it couldn't get any worse, the MC somehow has a magical penis that turns the only lesbian character straight after sleeping with her.

ATG - not a bad series. Wasn't expecting what happened to Yun Che, so that was a pretty bold move. It could do with less rape though, and I hope the MC doesn't get healed with rape/sex. I'm glad that nothing bad happened to his wife, as many people were speculating.

DE - really need to finish this novel. I think I stopped reading at around volume 27(?) or so. I'll pick it back up now that it's finished.

Stuff I'm happy with:

Lord Xue Ying (although the numbers are nonsensically large now, the MC is cultivating for literally billions of years at a time) is still interesting, but it's starting to get a bit much. I like the soft reset he's at right now.

I already highly recommended 40 Millenniums.

It's Not Easy to Be a Man After Travelling to the Future is interesting and I'm enjoying it. Basically, it's about a really talented martial artist and mecha pilot, who is actually female and has to pretend to be male. Mulan, essentially. It's a fun read and it's managed to get through like 600 chapters without getting any love interests involved. Potential might be there but the female MC doesn't give a fuck right now and is badass.

Legend of Swordsman is a fairly standard xianxia but does a lot of things I like that many other series don't do. For example, his father remains a total badass who is on par with his son in terms of advancement and is staying ahead of him; he's not static. I look forward to reading it every day.