• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
It sucks that now Qidian's model is moving towards consuming the website's currency, Spirit Stones, just to unlock the latest chapters instead of even letting you watch ads at all.

So, like, if you're reading Library of Heaven's Path, each new chapter is like 12 spirit stones just to unlock it (which is about what you get from the daily check-in)
Release that Witch has 60 locked chapters too. It sucks. But I can wait.
I don't even have an account there nor do I want one.

OP
OP
Sun's Resting Place
Oct 25, 2017
Thankfully, Wuxiaworld exists. The longer I use Qidian for certain titles the more I realize how right Deathblade was when he complained about their business practices.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
In other news, World of Cultivation will be completely translated in 2 days, so now is the perfect time to start reading.

The first ~200 chapters of Way of Choices have also been completely retranslated for a while now, so for that one it's also a good time to jump in. (To clarify, there are 800+ chapters translated right now, not the first 200 chapters 2 times :P )

Last edited:

Junior

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Started reading World of Cultivation about a week ago. I'm up to chapter 759 now, it's good to know that I'll finish just in time for the end.

Oct 27, 2017
It sucks that now Qidian's model is moving towards consuming the website's currency, Spirit Stones, just to unlock the latest chapters instead of even letting you watch ads at all.

So, like, if you're reading Library of Heaven's Path, each new chapter is like 12 spirit stones just to unlock it (which is about what you get from the daily check-in)

What's particularly weird about the system is how you really screw yourself into waiting longer. I 'unlocked' a bunch of Release That Witch chapters just to see how this works. It seems that it doesn't just buy you a spot further down the line, with chapters unlocking at the same rate afterwards. Basically, I now have to wait until the daily releases catch up to where I stopped 'paying,' rather than it just advancing me further through the queued published chapters with something unlocking every day. It works really badly, imo, aside from being annoying.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
I would have thought listening to Bruno selling me heatlh insurance for expats is enough to cover my reading addiction on Qidian

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
RMJI finally finished this arc. Now I can wait for chapters to buildup
The first 100-200 chapters of ISSTH is spent almost exclusively on Meng HaoHbeing chased until alchemy begins since he is weak early in

RMJI has had the MC chased literally everywhere all the time lol
How many times is he gonna change locations because of being hunted

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
(True Martial World) It's been so long since Yi Yun and his wife got separated that I've realized lately I've actually forgotten her name. God damn.

Only 1 chapter left until World of Cultivations. Having mixed feelings. The last 30-40 chapters have been ridiculously fast..

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
(True Martial World) It's been so long since Yi Yun and his wife got separated that I've realized lately I've actually forgotten her name. God damn.

Only 1 chapter left until World of Cultivations. Having mixed feelings. The last 30-40 chapters have been ridiculously fast..
lin xianwatever is my name for her

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
I swear Greem got replaced with another MC the moment he became an adept
This isn't the same person

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
I got a weird feeling Qidian is even reducing my stones. I had 600+ stones at one point and I haven't been using it cause I'm reading stuff on Wuxia. I checkdd it out earlier and it was back to 500. Same thing happened to my sister whereas she had 1000 stones which were reduced to 600.

Also if you like the Fallout series, I recommend reading Demon Hunter on Wuxiaworld. It's basically the Fallout universe without the 50's aesthetic.

OP
OP
Sun's Resting Place
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Jesus Christ. I am really feeling the Spirit Stone squeeze. They need to change this soon because it's actually turning me off reading things.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Greem gets kidnapped by the harpies cos i dont wanna deal with golem battles although i do want him in that castle in the sky later. When he is stronger right now it feels like he wont get much advantage

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
So I remember that when Released That Witch switched to premium they said it would have 10 paid chapters in advance.
Recently I felt as if releases had slowed down quite a bit (I've mostly stopped reading daily and just read in batches after a bunch of chapters accumulate), so I checked the site and sure enough 15 chapters/week... just only paid chapters with only 1 free chapter a day, so those "10 chapters ahead" are now nearly 100 with the discrepancy only widening :/

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Am I crazy or is there really no archive for translator announcements on the new wuxiaworld site?

------
Done with Skyfire Avenue. I mirror TJSS' sentiments in the afterword in that I didn't completely like the direction it took in the ending stretch. I think he had found the right balance between action and 'high-class lifestyle lections' after... a hundred chapters or so? The middle stretch was really great and in general it was an extremely unique read with a really vibrant world and cast of characters.
Really could do without the bullshit 'accidental rape that turns into real romance' trope, it's really... uncomfortable. At least it got a little better retroactively a few hundred chapters in after you learn that
it was actually kinda premediated by the raped party

------
Started catching up on Way of Choices again after letting a hundred-something chapters build up and I can't stress enough how this has to be among the best written chinese webnovels there are. The prose is just so damn good, the characters and world are very fleshed out and the schemes run deeper than the Mariana Trench.

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone been reading A Hero Born (Condor Heroes)? I have it, but going through my Lovecraft book first.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
Damn my attention span is too short why i skip prologues that are a whole chapter long
If i dont hear of the MC in the first 2 paragraphs i peace out. 220 novels in a reading list makes it easy to run about smh

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Motherfucker.

I had 700 stones a few days ago and didn't even read a single chapter and just doing the check in stuff but today I only have 300?!

Fuck Qidian.

OP
OP
Sun's Resting Place
Oct 25, 2017
I ordered the first volume translation of A Hero Born, physically. Will report back on my thoughts, I'm looking forward to putting it on my shelf.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
God the "Mortal Arcs" in Er Gens novels are all so insanely good. Catching up on Renegade Immortal (around 700) and just finished reading the arc with
Wang Lins son
Fuck. Does Er Gen have his personal group of Onion Ninjas ghostwriting those arcs :/

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
God the "Mortal Arcs" in Er Gens novels are all so insanely good. Catching up on Renegade Immortal (around 700) and just finished reading the arc with
Wang Lins son
Fuck. Does Er Gen have his personal group of Onion Ninjas ghostwriting those arcs :/
Wang Lin when he ws mortal had it alittle too rough
A will eternal and ISSTH are hilarious tho early on. AWE is just pure comedy tho

Junior

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It appears that Undefeated God of War (943 chapters) has been completed. I'm not sure if the novel is any good but I'll give it a shot.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
It appears that Undefeated God of War (943 chapters) has been completed. I'm not sure if the novel is any good but I'll give it a shot.
Awesome, I was waiting for that. Now I know what to read when I'm done catching up with Renegade Immortal.

It's by Fang Xian (World of Cultivation, also completed by the way), so I assume it's good.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
Fang xian sure does some short novels
...well, below a thousand is usually short when it comes to these novels

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
Immortal mortal has over 250 chapters locked behind fake currency
full

Most novels have not even reached 250 chaps in general

Nice job Qidian

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
I might read it then.
So I've read around 100 chapters now. It is indeed quite good... starting from the second arc.
I found the first arc to be pretty mediocre, and some of the writing regarding the cultivation system and MCs special treasure and stuff was hard to follow. There were some good bits in there but in general I found it lacking a proper hook and pretty generic.
It finally clicked for me towards the end of the first arc and the beginning of the second (around the late 40ies) where more intereting side-characters appear, the locations get more interesting, the MC has become strong enough to awe the peanut gallery and it kind of feels like it finds its identity.

The MC gets his personal 'grandpa' master, who happens to be the spirit of an army instructor of an ancient long-gone super army, along with their legacy. Their interactions are fun, the training gets more interesting and the cultivation direction gets a bit more unique. That ancient super army was famous for intricate mechanical weapons - something that was lost in the current time. And of course they were flawed but it just so happens new stuff exists in the current time that might fix those flaws if you combine them together :)
MC got a robo-chocobo as a mount and has a warehouse full a freaking ancient exo-suits/mechs, how cool is that.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
use someone as shield by saying you their concubine and when you meet them they wanna smash as your punishment lol

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
None i need to get on shows but see not interest in non xianxia but dont know of them
Would be cool if someone who watches list all the magical broken ones where they explodes mountains and cultivate for 1000 years lol

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been reading through A Hero Born/Condor Heroes and got to the taoist vs 7 freaks fight. I'm enjoying it so far. Dunno how poetic the original is, but it's written in a fairly simple style, which I'm fine with. The main complaint is some of the names. Ironheart, Skyfury, urg.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
Been reading through A Hero Born/Condor Heroes and got to the taoist vs 7 freaks fight. I'm enjoying it so far. Dunno how poetic the original is, but it's written in a fairly simple style, which I'm fine with. The main complaint is some of the names. Ironheart, Skyfury, urg.
Jin Yong's writing isn't all that ornate, but "simple" isn't the way I'd describe it. You should definitely get the feel that the characters are using archaic speech though. I'm not surprised the translator went in that direction given the translated names though.

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The book uses terms like 'lightness qinggong kung fu' and 'neigong inner strength'. They should have just used done that for names too, using the literal translation in italic as a nickname but keeping the real name in the book.

I have to say I have been enjoying the encouter of Qiu Chuji and the 7 Freaks so far.

I have also been enjoying the little details/lore (that you don't see in the TV series), such as this little digression when mentioning 'Jade Han's sword style when fighting Qiu Chuji:
In ancient times the two southern kingdoms of Yue and Wu were long at war. The King of Yue, Gou Qian, kept himself ready for combat at all times by sleeping on a bed of straw and drinking from a gallbladder. But the Wu army was universally acknowledged to be superior, mainly due to General Wu Zixu's strategic prowess, learned under the master tactical Sun Tsu. One day, however, a beautiful young woman, accomplished in the art of the sword, arrived in Jiaxing, then located just inside the Yue border. One of the kingdom's highest-ranking ministers, Fan Li, asked if she would teach her skills so they might defeat the Wu. So it happened that Jiaxing came to be the home of this particular sword technique, passed from master to disciple, generation to generation. It was, however, designed for battle, for slicing up generals and puncturing horses. When used against the masters of the wulin, it lacked the necessary agility and forcefulness. It was not until the dying years of the Tang dynasty that the repertoire came to be expanded by a swordsman familiar with the martial arts of ancient times, who added his own moves and made it faster and more complex.

Jade Han had studied the technique to such a level as to earn her the nickname Maiden of the Yue Sword.

Upon fighting while poisoned and outnumbered:
Qiu Chuji was growing weaker. He swapped his sword to his left hand and performed a move he had learned as a young student but had never before used in combat; the Sword of Mutual Demise. With a flash of the blade, he struck simultaneously at Ke Zhen'e, Zhu Cong and Scorched Wood's vital points.

The move was a tacit aknowledgement of relative weakness, and involved aiming at an enemy's acupressure points. It took great skill, but nevertheless utilised the same essential techniques as common street scraps between bandits and hooligans. Many years previously, the Quanzhen Sect faced a particularly fierce adversary who had lived many years in the untamed west. Only their shifu could have defeated him, but he had long since passed away. The Seven Masters knew this man alone could destroy their sect and they feared his return to the Middle Kingdom. They did have one move against him, the Plough Formation, but it required all seven Masters at once to be effective. The Sword of Mutual Demise was designed for lone combat against precisely this great master of kung fu. The strategy was to ensure his death through one's own, as a sacrifice to protect one's brothers. Qiu Chuji would not normally need to use such an extreme move on the Seven Freaks, but he was growing weaker from the poison. It was time to make use of his Master's greatest lesson.

Last edited: