• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
xianxiagen_OT1.png

This thread shall serve as a neutral gathering for those who consume wuxia, xianxia, and xuanhuan media, including literature, movies, and television series. This shall remain a neutral holy land for martial arts.

xianxiagen_OT2.png

The three major forms of Chinese martial arts fiction can be divided into three main categories, with some outliers.

With the advent of the internet, and the ability for people to post their fiction online, there has been an explosion of Chinese fantasy fiction online. However, as of recent years, their popularity in the west has exploded as well with the site Novel Updates, which is essentially an aggregator that updates every time an English fan translator completes another chapter and puts it up online.

The Chinese author, who uploads his work to a website for his fanbase to read on a chapter-by-chapter basis over time, gets a translation of their work these days through a translator like Deathblade of I Shall Seal the Heavens translation fame, which is now fully finished.

The availability of web novels means there's a bigger audience than ever before for all three genres.

xianxiagen_OT3.png

Wuxia (武俠 wǔxiá) – The literal translation for this term is "Martial Heroes." If you are reading this and are completely unfamiliar with the genre, do you remember the movie Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon? That's wuxia. These fictional stories center around humans, with tinges of the supernatural. These stories contain powers beyond normal human capacity, through training in Chinese martial arts and harnessing the power of "qi," or internal energy. These are stories that run the entire gamut of human drama, including extreme tragedy, love stories, and chivalrous deeds.

The term for the gathering of energy you will most likely see in almost all of these stories is "cultivation." Cultivation, essentially, is gathering power inside yourself so you can explosively use it for martial arts.

Wuxia fiction's been around forever in Chinese literature. However, its modern iteration can be traced back to the 1950s as serialized novels appearing in Hong Kong newspapers - a lot of the 'conventions' of the genre can be traced back to this era, with things like the code of chivalry, how martial arts school are established, inner and outer strength, et cetera.

The most influential writers of this era are Jin Yong, Gu Long, and Liang Yusheng. The name to remember is Jin Yong, specifically, because every single person who has written any of the stories in this thread has read Jin Yong's works and are heavily influenced by him.

In the 1980s and 1990s, the writer Huang Yi started mixing together fantasy novels and time travel with wuxia,
which is where the term 'xuanhuan' was applied.

Basically, these stories are about people using their martial arts to perform heroic deeds, righting wrongs, and punishing evildoers.

Where to Start Reading:
7 Killers
The Legend of the Condor Heroes
The Smiling, Proud Wanderer
Dragon King with Seven Stars

xianxiagen_OT4.png

Xianxia (仙侠 xiānxiá) – The literal translation for this term is "Immortal Heroes." These fictional stories are more along the lines of mythology. Demons, magic, and immortals that live thousands of years are all common themes in xianxia. Using the inspiration of Daoist thought as well as Buddhist elements, a story is constructed with all sorts of mythical beasts and legends. The four mystical creatures in the Chinese constellation are often central figures in these stories: the Azure Dragon, the Vermilion Bird, the White Tiger, and the Black Turtle. In xianxia, there are people capable of destroying entire countries with the wave of a hand. Think Goku from Dragonball Z-levels of power. These stories also focus on "harnessing qi," but that qi allows the characters in the story to be capable of splitting mountains in half with a palm strike, or summoning lightning and destroying an entire city with the wave of a sleeve. There are also often different planes of existence, and one can literally go to heaven and fight people there if your level is high enough.

Think of wuxia, but if everyone in a wuxia had the potential to wrestle a dragon and win, or shoot energy out of their hands that can freeze an entire city to ice. Basically, the difference between low and high fantasy. Cultivation, in this sort of story, is the actual absorption of the energy of Heaven and Earth itself.

Where to Start Reading:
I Shall Seal the Heavens
A Will Eternal

The Desolate Era (Get it? Still, worth reading)
World of Cultivation

Immortal Mortal

xianxiagen_OT5.png

Xuanhuan (玄幻 xuánhuàn) – The literal translation for this term is "Mysterious Fantasy". This is a pretty big umbrella that covers what is essentially a mixture of Chinese mythology and folklore together with stuff from other countries and other settings.

Some of the time, it's original medieval Western low/high fantasy mixed together with Chinese elements.

Other times, it's a xianxia that introduces the concept of time travel, or the main character being from our world and transported to this 'new world' in someone else's body. Some xuanhuan seems to have adopted elements of Japanese isekai media, even, where the main character gets a videogame interface no one can see, but not all of them have that.

Where to Start Reading:
Coiling Dragon
Release that Witch

Martial World
Sovereign of the Three Realms
Realms in the Firmament
Stellar Transformations

Commonly used terms:

xianxiagen_OT6.png

Jianghu: literally, "Rivers and Lakes." This term refers to the world of martial arts that lurks beneath the surface of society. Martial artists, merchants, thieves and those operating in the grey area of the law are all part of this section of society.

C8px9OF.png

Flying Sword: a magic sword capable of flying around in the air and attacking people from a distance, and is "the" weapon that most people think of when they think of xianxia fiction. "Cultivators," the immortal heroes of xianxia, are capable of not only controlling these swords mentally, but also capable of standing atop them like Tao Pai Pai in Dragonball and using them to travel around, as seen in the OT image at the top of this post.

Yin_and_Yang_svg.png

The Dao: the origin and source of all things. The principles of Yin and Yang that permeate everything. Daoist thought is the foundation for most xianxia, for example. Characters in stories often try to gain insight into the "Dao," or the basic principles of the universe itself, and are able to unleash incredible power and control over the natural world and its laws through sheer understanding of how it works.

xianxiagen_OT7.png

Sect: an organization dedicated to martial arts, cultivation, or both. Sects contain disciples, who are cared for by the sect, and there is an extremely strict hierarchy in regards to respecting one's elders. The sect's elders teach disciples how to properly train and cultivate in the sect's own styles, and a sect's usually led by a Sect Leader, or Patriarch.

Visit here for a more indepth glossary of commonly used terms.

Will amend over time. This is just to get things going. Feel free to contribute suggestions for the OP and tweaks, I decided that, since I always wanted to make this OT on Neogaf but never got around to it, I'd get things going on resetERA instead.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sun's Resting Place
Oct 25, 2017
i don't read chinese novels anymore, but i watch chinese tv if it's good
eternal love https://mydramalist.com/16547-eternal-love
fighter of the destiny https://mydramalist.com/18952-fighter-of-the-destiny
supposedly are good, but it seems like the romance is quite heavy so i didn't watch them

currently waiting for tribes and empires
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfP0m2eETI0

This looks great! I'll have to check it out when I get a chance.

Also, since a lot of this forum is more into anime than Chinese stuff, you all might remember a very recent show called Thunderbolt Fantasy.

Gen Urobuchi of Fate/Zero, Saya no Uta, and Madoka Magica fame did a wuxia (he fucking loves wuxia, and has written it before) in collaboration with fucking Hiroyuki Sawano of Attack on Titan, Gundam Unicorn and Xenoblade Chronicles X fame and Taiwanese puppet production company Pili, famous for their wuxia puppet works.

Gifs related.

Z3hAVqa.gif

5osm1G4.gif

As for other stuff coming out, there's a videogame called Project X for now that was shown off for the CHINA HERO PROJECT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBoapC8vqiI&feature=youtu.be

HT9PbE8.gif

RgV1zO.gif

That last gif alone seems to stir the hearts of many who grew up with wuxia in their life. Looking forward to giving the game a try when it's done.

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really wish there were more Wuxia novels published in English. I absolutely loved reading The Deer and the Cauldron. Book & Sword, while not Jin Yong's best, was also an enjoyable read. I know there's also Fox Volant of the Snowy Mountain and the Eleventh Son, but I haven't heard great things about their translations. Maybe I should give them a go anyway since I really miss Wuxia. I grew up on 80's/90's TVB shows (the best!), but none of the recent Mainland stuff appeals to me (extra cheesy melodrama, bad fight choreography, over-reliance on shaky cam and bad CG to make up for it).

Not being able to read Wuxia is my biggest regret with respect to my illiteracy :(

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I watched a show called Ice Fantasy and thought it was okay at best. It definitely felt like they spreading it a little to thin.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I'll keep an eye on this because I've been kind of hooked on these women-centred transmigration novels for my junk food reading. I recently finished one that was about a forensics expert who transmigrates and ends up doing autopsies/solving crimes and of course there's the romance component. The one I'm reading now is called Doomed to be Cannon Fodder and it's a tongue-in-cheek story with concubine politics that pokes fun at a lot of genre conventions. Unfortunately I'm not as familiar with the genre tropes. I didn't have any idea what Jianghu was and just kind inferred from context it was some kind of shady underworld until reading the OP, for instance, so this is already pretty useful for me getting into more xuanhuan stuff.

It will be way easier finding recs here than trying to sift through the massive amount of stuff on novel updates. Thanks!

boxfactory

Oct 27, 2017
"Balls hurt" is that netspeak? I've never heard that expression. That's hilarious. I mean some people in the US do treat grass as treasure. Do the chinese have an equivalent to Big in Japan?

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
awesome OT and TY for the explanation on the sub genres, I can never get them straight but it looks like my reading lists sway more toward Xianxi and Xuanhuan than Wuxia

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
Right now, addicted to:

1. Release That Witch

I can't recommend enough Release That Witch. It is available officially in English in Qidian International and it is amazeball. Forget the stupid name, the trite premise (going back to Medieval, introduce modern technology), the author spent a lot of times on meticulous town building and civil policy. There is very little Harem element and magic, but the kingdom building is where it shine.

http://www.novelupdates.com/series/release-that-witch/

2. "Going Back To The Ming Dynasty To Be A Prince" by Yue Guan

This was just being released in Thai, so I'm catching up. Dude basically transported back to Ming Dynasty and started a whole bunch of economic reform and winning military battle.

OP
OP
Sun's Resting Place
Oct 25, 2017
Right now, addicted to:

1. Release That Witch

I can't recommend enough Release That Witch. It is available officially in English in Qidian International and it is amazeball. Forget the stupid name, the trite premise (going back to Medieval, introduce modern technology), the author spent a lot of times on meticulous town building and civil policy. There is very little Harem element and magic, but the kingdom building is where it shine.

http://www.novelupdates.com/series/release-that-witch/

Well, there's a reason I put it in the OP of the thread.

That being said, I do have one major issue with it - the fact that 'Roland' is never really in danger because he has a contingency plan for almost everything. Maybe it's just not far enough yet, though, even though we're hundreds of chapters in. Also, the fact that he seems to remember way too much. I don't know if it's just me (yes, I know he was a mechanical engineer, and I'm glad there are things he definitely does not remember, but still.) They at least address that he cannot remember certain things re: modern tech but what he does remember is getting a little crazy IMO.

I do love it otherwise, it's a fantastic read and considerably better as a 'novel' than most of its peers.

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Admittedly, the first couple chapters are kind of weird. It's not amazing, but since so many chapters of it are translated I linked it - kind of like how I put Coiling Dragon up there because it's fully translated and is long as hell.
It gets better.
There was a warning on the main page about farting, which I thought it was a joke. I will keep reading this if you it gets better.

Morgfyre

Oct 31, 2017
I've been enjoying Martial Arts Master on Qidian/Webnovel. It's 120ish chapters in and so far it's felt more like the boxing mangas (Buyuden/Green Boy/etc) where it's like 50% martial arts tournaments and 50% dating his girlfriend and pretty much avoids all the common cultivation/fighting webnovel tropes.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Great thread!

Two Xuanhuan recommendations I can make are:
Battle Frenzy and Ze Tian Ji (Way of Choices). Both are really good and both are really different.

Battle Frenzy is basically a sci-fi Xuanhuan. The NovelUpdates description reads as follows:
LfaxDTFm.png

Amidst a disaster, an orphan contracts a sickness.

In his waking hours, he is tormented by his ailment, but when he slumbers, there is infinite darkness.

One day, when he was five years old, a strange Fate Trickster appeared in his dreams. Ten years later, he dreams of becoming a lord. To do so, he takes a chance to trade his fate!

That day, Wang Zhong once again stood at the gates of the Tianjing Heroic Soul Academy. He was about to start a brand new life.

Since that doesn't really tell all that much, here's some more:
200 years in the future the Earth had an energy crisis. Humanity decided to create an artificial black hole to solve this problem and succeeded. However as a result a higher dimension overlapped with the Earth and lots of monsters, mutations, etc. appeared and humanity was nearly annihilated. While fighting against those monsters the survivors discovered a new power that allowed them to fight. Fast forward a bit, new empires and factions and technology emerged.
The novel follows Wang Zhong, who contracted an incurable illness as a child and nearly died. In his dreams he meets a mysterious being that calls itself the Fate Trickster that saves him. He enrolls into a military academy as a teenager. Obviously his circumstances are very unusual and he's the classic underdog where everyone thinks he is a loser because his energy levels are weak, but he's secretly a badass tactician and weapon master because he trained in his dreams with said Fate Trickster. There's a lot of worldbuilding, solo- and team fighting with cool techniques and strategies and a lot of cool side-characters. The pacing is pretty slow, but very deliberate and the author is setting up and building up tons of things. There's also romance and it doesn't appear to become a harem.

Translation is at 220 chapters with ~6 chapters a week.

Ze Tian Ji is... a bit hard to describe? It too is very slowly and deliberately paced. It's not primarily about getting stronger and fighting, it's more... philosophical and character-centered.
Zetianji.jpg

To pick is to choose. This is a story about choices. Three thousand worlds full of gods and demons, with a daoist scroll in your hand, you are able to control the entire universe…

At the beginning of time, a mystical meteor came crashing down from outer space and scattered all over the world. A piece of it landed in the Eastern Continent. There were mysterious totems carved upon the meteor. Through viewing these totems, mankind comprehended the Dao and established the Orthodoxy.

Several thousand years later, the fourteen years old orphan Chen Changsheng left his master to cure his illness and change his fate. He brought a part of a marriage vow with him to the capital, thus beginning the journey of a rising hero…

ultra7k

Oct 27, 2017
I read the Deer and the Cauldron 3 book series something like 10 years ago, those were expensive books to buy, but worth every single penny.

Always wondered about Fox Volant of the Snow Mountain, but never did pull the trigger on that one.

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
SOTR Chapter 2
This is getting a little better from the previous chapter so far. I like how Jiang Chen takes note of his surroundings.

Oct 27, 2017
I started reading Release That Witch last night. So far it's a really fun read. It's kind of amazing how the mc has no reservations about introducing technology, and I wonder if there will be any fallout from that. Thanks for the recs.

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
"Balls hurt" is that netspeak? I've never heard that expression. That's hilarious. I mean some people in the US do treat grass as treasure. Do the chinese have an equivalent to Big in Japan?

Yeah,"balls hurt" is netspeak. It goes like this:your balls hurt because you can't have sex, so you do all kind of "useless things" to kill time, like studying, working...

And "grass" is netspeak too. It didn't literally mean grass. It's a wording for quality grades of Chinese internet light-novel, meaning "readable but not good enough".

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Ze Tian Ji is... a bit hard to describe? It too is very slowly and deliberately paced. It's not primarily about getting stronger and fighting, it's more... philosophical and character-centered.
Zetianji.jpg

To pick is to choose. This is a story about choices. Three thousand worlds full of gods and demons, with a daoist scroll in your hand, you are able to control the entire universe…

At the beginning of time, a mystical meteor came crashing down from outer space and scattered all over the world. A piece of it landed in the Eastern Continent. There were mysterious totems carved upon the meteor. Through viewing these totems, mankind comprehended the Dao and established the Orthodoxy.

Several thousand years later, the fourteen years old orphan Chen Changsheng left his master to cure his illness and change his fate. He brought a part of a marriage vow with him to the capital, thus beginning the journey of a rising hero…

I will 2nd Ze Tian Ji. Currently my favorite read right now. First 50+ chapters are slow to start to there is great character and world building. The writing and translation for this is top notch and the fights get bigger and better as it progresses. Has a political tint to it as well.

It's actually being adapted into a Chinese TV show called "Fighter of Destiny", tho WARNING, spoilers on the IMDB page....

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sun's Resting Place
Oct 25, 2017
I will 2nd Ze Tian Ji. Currently my favorite read right now. First 50+ chapters are slow to start to there is great character and world building. The writing and translation for this is top notch and the fights get bigger and better as it progresses. Has a political tint to it as well.

It's actually being adapted into a Chinese TV show called "Fighter of Destiny", tho WARNING, spoilers on the IMDB page....

I was aware of it before and was reading it off and on. It seems that it's being retranslated though, which is big news for me as its far more readable than before in its new form.

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
SOTR Chapter 3
I love the political intrigue going on here, although the MC of this story is weird, but I guess it works for this story.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Have another Xuanhuan rec:

Douluo Dalu (Combat Continent)
douluo-dalu.jpg

Tang Sect, the most famous martial arts sect of all. By stealing its most secret teachings to fulfill his dreams, Tang San committed an unforgivable crime. With his ambition attained, he hands his legacy to the sect and throws himself from the fearsome "Hell's Peak."

But he could have never imagined that this would reincarnate him in another world, one without magic, martial arts, and grudges. A land where only the mystical souls of battle lay.

The continent of Douluo.

How will Tang San survive in this unknown environment? With a new road to follow, a new legend begins…

This story has it all. A great main character, a very strong supporting cast, fantastical creatures and abilities, training, tons of fights both solo and teamwork, romance and struggle.
Where many novels mainly focus on the strong MCs quest of getting stronger, leaving allies and enemies behind as the dreaded powercreep happens, Douluo Dalu has a very strong supporting cast (this indeed bears repeating). While Tang San is indeed pretty badass on his own, his friends are an important bunch as well. One thing that I also really like is that there's a strong and very important romance that is not a harem, and also a lot of romance between the supporting cast.

Currently 306 of 336 chapters are translated (those are huge chapters though).

OP
OP
Sun's Resting Place
Oct 25, 2017
Have another Xuanhuan rec:

Douluo Dalu (Combat Continent)
douluo-dalu.jpg

I've noticed that this one actually has several sequels, including Legend of the Dragon King and The Unrivalled Tang Sect.

I'm not entirely a fan of Douluo Dalu and its universe, but it is extremely popular amongst the younger crowd in China, for sure. I do enjoy reading Legend of the Dragon King to some degree, but it's a certain style that's not really my thing.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
As the thread creator I don't mind.

In fact, I've seen many mentions of Son Wukong or references to his legend in many xianxia - referring to either his origin of a rock in a cave, his legend in general or just being a clear reference (the monkey in ISSTH.)

Yeah, it's not just Son Wukong. There are other fantasies such as the creation of the gods, and all kinds of other Chinese myths too.

OP
OP
Sun's Resting Place
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's not just Son Wukong. There are other fantasies such as the creation of the gods, and all kinds of other Chinese myths too.
If I had a nickel for every time I saw the 33 Heavens, the Dao, men having Yang energy/heat/fire/life and women having Yin energy/cold/ice/death, the Azure Dragon/Vermilion Bird/White Tiger/Black Turtle, Purple Qi from the East, the carp jumping over the dragon's gate, dual pupils, etc etc etc in xianxia I would probably have a lot of money.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
Chinese idioms are the funniest shit

I had eyes but couldn't recognize mt.tai
Easy as turning ones hand
Didn't know whether to laugh or cry
Twice the results for half the effort
I,your father
Courting death! (Every young split masters fav line)

Rare as phoenix feather or kilin horn and billion more

They basically spread these over every novel and it's amazing

OP
OP
Sun's Resting Place
Oct 25, 2017
Chinese idioms are the funniest shit

I had eyes but couldn't recognize mt.tai
Easy as turning ones hand
Didn't know whether to laugh or cry
Twice the results for half the effort
I,your father
Courting death! (Every young split masters fav line)

Rare as phoenix feather or kilin horn and billion more

They basically spread these over every novel and it's amazing

You forgot the concept of giving people face, truly the most important part.

我去年买了个表。aka the Chinese netizen slang "I bought a watch last year" - I've seen this one appear in xuanhuan sometimes, especially if it's someone from modern times who was transported.

This sentence is pronounced as "WO QU NIAN MAI LE GE BIAO" which is the acronym WQNMLGB, they are also the initial letters of "我去你妈了隔壁".

So the real meaning is:
go fuck your mother's cunt
but in a censored manner.

Last edited:

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
You forgot the concept of giving people face, truly the most important part.

我去年买了个表。aka the Chinese netizen slang "I bought a watch last year" - I've seen this one appear in xuanhuan sometimes, especially if it's someone from modern times who was transported.

This sentence is pronounced as "WO QU NIAN MAI LE GE BIAO" which is the acronym WQNMLGB, they are also the initial letters of "我去你妈了隔壁".

So the real meaning is "go fuck your mother's cunt", but in a censored manner.
There's whole novels about slapping peoples faces
Literally or not giving them respect. With how much they care about face your think it's made out of gold. I'm waiting for one dude to tell put some respek on my name lol

Also I need xianxia shows. Mainly immortal stuff. Training has to atleast take a thousand years meditating in a cave somewhere

It's hard finding reincarnation/transmigration stuff in bulk
giphy.gif

Where all the shows where people summon 10000000 mountains behind them like ISSTH or blow up planets or create universes inside their guts

OP
OP
Sun's Resting Place
Oct 25, 2017
There's whole novels about slapping peoples faces
Literally or not giving them respect. With how much they care about face your think it's made out of gold. I'm waiting for one dude to tell put some respek on my name lol

Also I need xianxia shows. Mainly immortal stuff. Training has to atleast take a thousand years meditating in a cave somewhere

It's hard finding reincarnation/transmigration stuff in bulk
giphy.gif

Where all the shows where people summon 10000000 mountains behind them like ISSTH or blow up planets or create universes inside their guts

To be honest, the closest thing I've ever seen to a xianxia on that sort of power tier level is actually Asura's Wrath. The buddhist theming makes it so there's common terms I see in both xianxia AND Asura's Watch, although I played AW first.
Hell, the final fight of AW in the DLC reminds me of the end of ISSTH. People compare it to Gurren Lagann but I see way more than just GL in it.

There isn't anything more xianxia than punching Buddha in the face.